Advice from fellow ex-sneakerheads

Originally Posted by Dagrandesoda

It was a statement to all thosse leaving the game for very foolish reasons. You must have been buying the wrong dresR s shoes friend. You listed bR and Aldo as if they are were you need to go to get good dress shoes. Try some italian retailers(doubt you speak italian, but most have transated sites) or try waited for places like zappos to have sales and you can get that once 300 dress shoes for 175. It truely all depends on how you look at quality of the shoes weather dey be dress shoes or sneakers. Your crazy if you think errr
rrbody rocking fergamo that work in a business or corarpte enviroment. MAtter fact check the dressing better thread for good deals ON HIGH QUALITY DRESS SHOES. THEY GOT THIS ONE bald dude in there from ATL  that has a great dress shoe game and I know all his shoes dont be 400.
last thread derail... promise

can you pm some links to some reputable italian retailers where i can get good quality shoes for a good price?  it would be much appreciated.

i was just frontin man, im too cheap to pay retail. 
laugh.gif
  My wife and I brought an extra bag with us when we went to Italy and we hit up the outlets outside of Florence and shlepped back a buncha gear that we bought.  After the VAT refund, the prices on clothes and shoes there werent that bad.

I have not gone into a sneaker store and bought a new jordan retro since the DMP package. (When everything went downhill for me)

The thing that slays me is that for a few days after the Concord XI came out they were buying them for $400+ on eBay, when DS Concords from 2001 or even the DMP pack are easily available for the same price. Ill take a 2001 > 2011 any day of the week.

Nothing is compared to what it used to be.

Going to the mall to buy a new pair of Jordans on Saturday used to be a fun experience, now you have to worry about getting pepper sprayed or mugged before you even worry about getting the right size.

Me and a few others on NT used to browse eBay religiously and pick up steals that you would not even believe me if I told you. Im talkin 5-6 years ago, and I'm only 21 now. The hunt was all part of the game and made collecting fun.

Just to name a few (not recent retros)
DS Black Red XI - $90
DS Fire Red V - $100
DS Infrared VI - $90
DS True Blue III - $90
DS Spacejams - $150
DS OG Carmine VI - $400 (Sold for 1600)
Samples/Promos you name it, we found it for cheap.

Collecting used to be fun but Retros killed, at least for me. Re-Re-Re-Retros killed the value of everything, It took me a month to sell a DS pair of 2001 True Blue 3s for $150.

At my highest point I had about 90 pairs, valued at approx $12,000 4-5 years ago. If I had those same shoes today, they'd be worth about $8000 at most. Today I'm down to about 50 pairs, 90% of which I wear regularly.

Hope I make sense. Sorry for the rant.

Originally Posted by Treb2k5

It's dead.

you just lost interest man. thats all that is. Sneaker joint aint a game. You either live through it or you live it. Quote that and make a shirt out of it.
It is a game & it's corny & dead. It was cool for everybody back in high school - breaking necks, coming to school in a new pair every week. All fun & games, but it's dead now. I'm 22 & it was cool when I was 16-18. Working at Finishline also killed it for me, too. 

no prob. I'll even transalate if need be. I mean i shop at thirft stores a lot cause you can find good quality if you search in the right manner.

It's dead.

you just lost interest man. thats all that is. Sneaker joint aint a game. You either live through it or you live it. Quote that and make a shirt out of it.
It is a game & it's corny & dead. It was cool for everybody back in high school - breaking necks, coming to school in a new pair every week. All fun & games, but it's dead now. I'm 22 & it was cool when I was 16-18. Working at Finishline also killed it for me, too. 

so because it aint cool you dont wanna collector no more? More proof that some of yall was just trend hopping like a mug shun

My taste has definitely changed, as far as Jordans. I keep my eye on OG colorways nowadays, and I do have an ending date sometime in the near future, when I have all OG colorways 1 through 13.
As far as everything else, Kobe's vary for me.  I don't try to buy every single colorway, I keep it simple. 

Originally Posted by zapatohead408

I wonder how long it will take though until the hype blows off and the game is just made up of real sneaker collectors again.

When people start refusing to pay reseller prices.

i have a harder time giving up kicks then i do trees

in 2009 and 2010 i could give a damn about shoes

but in 2011 i got bit by the sneaker bug again

You can call it "trend hopping" if you want to take the immature route.

I'm not even going to try and guess your age.

Things change, styles change, the way we fell about things change.  Most who get older are still stating that they still love sneakers, either for aesthetics or nostalgia, however they have no interest in the journey to attain these sneakers.  Even if you are in the "game" it's a pain in the #%%, with all these teeny-boppers that are truly only there for the hype lining up days in advance (
laugh.gif
).  If you are a grown man with a job, %@%* a career, there's no way you would approach your boss with a vacation request to get in line to buy sneakers.  Why waste precious vacation days to sit with a bunch of "know-nothing" 16-20 year olds, that make up these stories of nostalgia?

Collecting sneakers hasn't been "cool" for a minute?  Before you comment do some research how sneaker culture and "collecting" has changed over the last decade.  I remember the XI drops back in 1999-2001, the line at my spot was 10 deep max, none of this nonsense that is making the news.  There were actually "low-key" spots back in the day, where being a loyal customer meant something, all spots are blown up now.

Originally Posted by IronHorse

Just turned 30, and something awakened inside me that this whole sneaker obsession thing of mine is now played out and I should be more concentrated on stepping up my adult clothes game up, as that needs work compared to my closet full of jays and air maxes.

I'd be interested to hear from fellow ex-sneakerheads about their experiences in quitting....
This happened to me about 3 or 4 years ago. I literally woke up one day and was like 
eek.gif
, what the hell? 
And then that was it

Originally Posted by dadecounty11

I'm starting to get to the point in my life that the whole sneaker thing is getting played out to me. I think what happened was when I was younger, I didn't have the cash to get the shoes I wanted, and my folks were NEVER going to pay $140 for a pair of Js. When I finally got a decent job, I was buying Jordans, Pennys, and any other thing that caught my eye like a mad man. Now that I'm almost 31, I find myself hardley wearing any of my shoes. 90% of my collection just sits in their boxes in my closet. Lately all I wear are Air Max 2009s and I might throw on a pair of Foams if I get the itch. I was crazy amped for the Playoff 13s and the Black Cement 3s, and I have only worn each of them once. Same goes for the White Cement, True Blues, Bordeaux, Flu Games, and Varsity 6s. I was hyped for all of them, and I have only worn them 1-2 times each.  I was on a mission to get the Cool Greys, finally copped them off a seller here on NT for $190, and I have only worn them twice in 3 months.

My job is business casual Monday-Thursday. On Friday you can wear jeans, a polo, and sneakers. So I wear my Js to work, and honestly, I feel out of place. Almost like I'm a little kid or something, and people are looking at me like "look at this grown man wearing basketball shoes to work".

Releases like the Concord ordeal just push me further away from the shoe game. I'm too old to be standing in line with the teeny-boppers and dealing with crowds all over a pair of sneakers that I won't wear but a few times in the next year.  I recently sold 4 pairs of my lesser-used Jordans on here, and I don't miss them at all. Luckily I have a really good job, and I get paid well, so I don't have to put all my chips into saving for a shoe or what-not, but $160+ per pair is outlandish.

this is exactly me

I'm only 22, but it's changed for me. I realized I spent $6,000 from 2005-2007 ,on shoes, all through high school.

I could have put a down payment on a decent car, paid off school, & still have money left over to blow/save.

Grown men out here 25+ years old camping with 16 year old's for shoes & dropping "knowledge" about the shoes. Nobody cares if you know who Tinker Hatfield is or what year the original shoes came out. They just want them to wear...'cause that's what shoes are made for.

Nostalgia? hahaha.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

You can call it "trend hopping" if you want to take the immature route.

I'm not even going to try and guess your age.

Things change, styles change, the way we fell about things change.  Most who get older are still stating that they still love sneakers, either for aesthetics or nostalgia, however they have no interest in the journey to attain these sneakers.  Even if you are in the "game" it's a pain in the #%%, with all these teeny-boppers that are truly only there for the hype lining up days in advance (
laugh.gif
).  If you are a grown man with a job, %@%* a career, there's no way you would approach your boss with a vacation request to get in line to buy sneakers.  Why waste precious vacation days to sit with a bunch of "know-nothing" 16-20 year olds, that make up these stories of nostalgia?

Collecting sneakers hasn't been "cool" for a minute?  Before you comment do some research how sneaker culture and "collecting" has changed over the last decade.  I remember the XI drops back in 1999-2001, the line at my spot was 10 deep max, none of this nonsense that is making the news.  There were actually "low-key" spots back in the day, where being a loyal customer meant something, all spots are blown up now.

I'm getting olkder and I aint step in a footlocker or foot action in 7 years. I get my shoes from sneaker conections or sneaker boutiques with eas. I got shuns who call me when shoes on my hit list pop up at their store. I got local shuns around here that help me find shoes I want. ITs no seearch. I aint get into the game to be searching. I make a list of what i want, save for what i want, and buy what I WANT. Not what looks cool. I buy what I want AND WEAR WHAT I WANT. Thats the life style of a person WHO LOVES THEIR SNEAKERS. u foolish to have even camped out to begin with. U buy what you want. And if you truely love what you tryna buy. You will wait for as much time needed to get what you want(IT TOOK ME YEARS TO GET DENIM AIR MAX 1S, took years to get some of my jordans, TOOK OVER 15 YEARS TO FINNAlly get some old nikes) , but I m happy when i get them and i rock them. this aint no game. i consider it part of my interst and that wont change no matter how the rest of the world views it. same goes with my interst in bbws or anything else that at "cool" no more. Thats why i dont be gettuinbg the skinny jean hate. yall ogs  should know that real men wear what they want and dont care about nobody else. Do you. Why you always gotta be worried about whats cool? Same goes with the hip hop game with shuns got tElhe nerve to ask about revalant artist. shun if you make music that sound good to me, then you relevant in my ears. 5some dydes ait had a number 1 hit in YEARS  and I still rock they new music if it sound good. Yall worried too much bou tthe rest of the world and what they think of you. Do you. This is your life. live your life. Do what makes you happy.

sick of this excuses mess and the cool factor being the reason why you live your life.

Personally, I like having a versatile wardrobe. I can throw on a suit if I'm going somewhere like a reception or I can throw on a polo, jeans, and jordans to go to the supermarket.

Jordans to me are still just another pair of sneaks so to some of ya'll it's like saying ya'll gonna stop wearing sneakers period or that wearing sneakers is for kids. I'm always gonna wear sneaks cause they are better for your knees and feet than shoes. I think I'm done with Jordans and Nike's because of the declining quality and higher prices.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Originally Posted by IronHorse

the final straw was the whole concord hype, that made me realize that I was just another member of the flock as I tried to secure my pairs 

This was sort of my sentiment as well.  The hype in general is killing it for me. 

And when you have a 9-5 and can't wear sneakers to work you honestly just don't have time to wear 90% of your kicks.  My rotation is basically nike frees to work out/run in.  Then black cement 3s and white cement 3s with every casual outfit.  Still love shoes but when its now become next to impossible to get a shoe i want....i basically just don't care anymore. 
Hype is just being used as a excuse to hid the fact that you are a trend hopper. If you REALLY LOVED YOUR SHOES AND THE CULTURE, YOU would still keep collecting even with all the hype. Just stop with the excuses. To you the trend is not as cool as it once was to you and as a result your on to the next trend.

hahahah theres some truth to that..... BUT if your a true sneakerhead, who only collects exclusives...... you change your game in ordinace to the game...
I was HEAVY on SB's, J, etc but as ive grown, i switched my game to raf simons, common projects, lanvins and mind you these shoes BUST MORE HEADS than any pair of Unkles, 3 bears dunks, or infrared 6's will ever bust. and i can ALSO DRESS these shoes up also.its a 2 for 1 deal, BUT MIND YOU these shoes retail at 400+ up tho. so to each their own 

Dagrandesoda wrote:

sick of this excuses mess and the cool factor being the reason why you live your life.

Chill out man, it's a discussion.  I don't think people are making excuses here; they're just stating simple facts why they don't buy shoes anymore.  Don't get me wrong, I still love Jordans and Nikes in general, but I try not to buy Nike shoes in general anymore for many reasons, among them questionable business practices by Nike, the drop in quality in Jordans, and my decision to cut down on my consumerism in general.  These aren't excuses; it's what personally I, and many others, want to do.  Btw, I'm assuming you're trying to spell champion instead of "champon" in your sig.

Originally Posted by CDUNK

Dagrandesoda wrote:

Chill out man, it's a discussion.  I don't think people are making excuses here; they're just stating simple facts why they don't buy shoes anymore.  Don't get me wrong, I still love Jordans and Nikes in general, but I try not to buy Nike shoes in general anymore for many reasons, among them questionable business practices by Nike, the drop in quality in Jordans, and my decision to cut down on my consumerism in general.  These aren't excuses; it's what personally I, and many others, want to do.  Btw, I'm assuming you're trying to spell champion instead of "champon" in your sig.

There are shady business practices in all places in the world in EVERYTHING you eat or use. Even that chicken you making might have been abused in the process. and of course they had to be killed in order for you to eat. That veggie you eatting had to BE KILLED so you could eat it. This is survial of the prilivaged and thats how it is. Your a conumer regardless as long as you consum. There is people in nigeria living off 2 dolalrs a day. I gurantee no matter how much you cut down consumerism, you will not reach their level. Thats not an opinion, thats a pure fact. And BTW, no i suggest you google what champon is then you'll understand my sig.

Dagrandesoda wrote:

There are shady business practices in all places in the world in EVERYTHING you eat or use. Even that chicken you making might have been abused in the process. and of course they had to be killed in order for you to eat. That veggie you eatting had to BE KILLED so you could eat it. This is survial of the prilivaged and thats how it is. Your a conumer regardless as long as you consum. There is people in nigeria living off 2 dolalrs a day. I gurantee no matter how much you cut down consumerism, you will not reach their level. Thats not an opinion, thats a pure fact. And BTW, no i suggest you google what champon is then you'll understand my sig.
Champon?  A Japanese noodle dish?  You must be several levels above me.  Anyways, you're absolutely right in the sense that I won't be able to live like a Nigerian.  I only eat all natural free range chicken.  I don't shop at Walmart.  I don't do a whole bunch of other things because of shady business practices, what's your point?  I'm not perfect in my ways, but I can always try to do the best I can possibly do in living a sustainable lifestyle.

Originally Posted by kdawg

Next you'll realise that the whole 'adult clothes' game doesn't actually mean anything either.

Do what you want with your money but whatever 'thing' is your thing at the moment doesn't really matter.
huh? idk about that, as long as people remain vain i think they will always try and look good, whether its for themselves or for other people, usually when people just want to live they dont really care about what they wear

Originally Posted by kdawg

Next you'll realise that the whole 'adult clothes' game doesn't actually mean anything either.

Do what you want with your money but whatever 'thing' is your thing at the moment doesn't really matter.

exactly how i feel i have a hundred give or take pairs of kicks but i just buy because i like them same goes for everything else i used to would just buy jays just for bragging rights ( yeah i know it was dumb
laugh.gif
) but know if i like i buy it long as my bills are paid and i got money in the bank im good my grandmother was the same way she would have three closets full of heels and she said my grandfather was the same way so maybe its in my blood.

Champon?  A Japanese noodle dish?  You must be several levels above me.  Anyways, you're absolutely right in the sense that I won't be able to live like a Nigerian.  I only eat all natural free range chicken.  I don't shop at Walmart.  I don't do a whole bunch of other things because of shady business practices, what's your point?  I'm not perfect in my ways, but I can always try to do the best I can possible do in living a sustainable lifestyle.
Those chickens were killed. its a luxury for you to even have chicken. I think your missing my point. ur putting urself in a level because u think u consum less so that makes u better than others and that aint the case. And Champon is the best dish ever
pimp.gif
which is why I used it

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

If you are a grown man with a job, %@%* a career, there's no way you would approach your boss with a vacation request to get in line to buy sneakers.  Why waste precious vacation days to sit with a bunch of "know-nothing" 16-20 year olds, that make up these stories of nostalgia?
laugh.gif
 damn that reminds me of my first (and only) campout when I sat in the freezing cold outside of NTLA for the Espos and N.E.R.D Dunks.  My pops (typical no nonsense asian father) was like "Y U NO work harder at your job and make money to buy those shoes for Ebay prices instead of sleeping on a sidewalk like a bum?!?!?!"

the man had a point.

Champon?  A Japanese noodle dish?  You must be several levels above me.  Anyways, you're absolutely right in the sense that I won't be able to live like a Nigerian.  I only eat all natural free range chicken.  I don't shop at Walmart.  I don't do a whole bunch of other things because of shady business practices, what's your point?  I'm not perfect in my ways, but I can always try to do the best I can possible do in living a sustainable lifestyle.
Those chickens were killed. its a luxury for you to even have chicken. I think your missing my point. ur putting urself in a level because u think u consum less so that makes u better than others and that aint the case. And Champon is the best dish ever
pimp.gif
which is why I used it
Man, you assume way too many things, just like assuming people are making excuses in not buying shoes.  Having a discussion with you is a chore; this is the last time I'm going to respond to you in this thread.  You assumed I didn't know what champon was.  I'm Asian.  Second you assume that I'm trying to live my life because I want to be "better" than everyone else.  Newsflash, a person can cut down on his/her consumerism and not think they're better than others.  I'm just trying to live the lifestyle that I think is right in my mind, just like I didn't buy my Concords to think I'm better than the kid that didn't get it. 

I'm deep in the sneaker game right now. I'll admit it. But as of lately I've been noticing how it's just a waste of money for the most part. I got plans to move out with my girl and start a family within the next year or two. So after this year I'm giving it up. I'm 26 now. Can't keep going on like this forever.

Back
Top Bottom