Air Jordan 2010 questions....

First off...idk why but I am greatful to finally be able to create a post here. For some reason I always had trouble doing it lol. There was always message or step about submitting why I want to join the forum and all these othe steps that I couldnt pass...even after verifying my account lol.

Onto the topic...

I just got some Air Jordan 2010's (black charcoal with the clear outsold with red full length zoom). I love them and have been breaking them in for about 2 weeks now. I'm still getting used to bottom loaded Zoom, but these seem like they could be my all time favorites (takin over the Kobe V due to the thin phylon midsole, which is hard to get used to when trying to come off a nearly 4 month hiatus lol). However, I have two questions for people who have worn them extensively:

1. How long did it take for the Zoom Air to bottom out? These are so low to the ground that I'm worried that they will pop if I put too much power into my step or jump too hard lol.

2. How hard is it for others to get a lockdown fit in the heel? In my left foot it is nearly impossible for my heel to be completed locked in with no movement.

I also have the Jordan 2011 but can't hoop in them because they don't have the wide base and outrigger (rolled ankle too many times and can no longer take the risk of playing in shoes without outriggers eg. Rolled ankle really bad coming down from rebound in the Black Ice Mid)

1. they haven't, and i've worn my 2010's and alpha 1's (same bottom loaded zoom tech) to the gym and done calf extension machines to about 120-130kgs and they've held up fine. good quality zoom doesn't bottom out. i've thrown in a full length zoom set into air max runners and have run hundreds of kilometers in them. one pair, still no sign of reduced pressure.

2. not a problem for me, i have a bigger issue with the tongue sliding around and laces coming undone.

Thanks for the reply.  I too have a problem with the tongue, but I just let myself get over it because I know the outrigger will save me from the lack of lockdown fit. 

That's good to know the Zoom doesn't bottom out because that is my favorite part about these shoes.  These just feel so low to the ground it's ridiculous how they did that, and I feel like I have more control over my movements and stuff.  So does full length Zoom have better longevity than heel + forefoot Zoom then?  Also, is that to say that Full Length Zoom shoes like the Lebron II and III that experienced bottoming out didn't have good quality Zoom?

i've never had a pair bottom out so i can't say, but i have heard of zoom bladders like the ones i used to sell came either good or bad quality. all mine were fine, but i have heard of others that weren't so good. seriously, i've got them added in half of my shoes.

nor have i had forefoot or heel zooms bottom out, so i can't help you with that comparison.

2010's and alpha 1's aren't hard to come by at less than retail or retail at most. don't let fear of ruining a shoe affect your game, you have the former for the latter, not the other way around. i think you have a low chance of anything happening, so don't hold back.

oh and welcome to nt
smile.gif

Thanks it feels good to finally be here lol 
glasses.gif
laugh.gif

Yea, it did effect my game a little bit because I was scared to drive and go hard and jump high.  Now, I've been doing all the above and feeling just fine; these are just awesome shoes.  I tried shooting around in the 2011 (red explosive insole) and the cushioning felt so thin it was crazy.  The blue zoom ones are fine, but the explosives.....just wow super thin air bag. 

The latest shoes I've had bottom out on me were the Zoom Kobe V.  I guess it was the Phylon midsole getting thin, because if I take out the sockliner the Zoom in the heel and forefoot is still there, but the forefoot Zoom isn't enough to protect my knees.  I got my 2010's for 50 something bucks on eBay (and I hope they still have some at the Nike outlet about an hour away) and need to cop the solid outsole colorways because the clear outsole traction gets a little slippery (but still manage to make squeak, so it's weird lol).

I am 5'11", around 175-180, and am a Chris Paul type guard that still has enough ups to grab with two hands (working my way back into shape slowly).  The cushioning and outrigger are the most important things to me in a shoe, so if the Zoom does bottom out (which you say they shouldn't anytime soon) can I buy the Zoom insoles you were speaking about and use them in the 2010?  Are they the eBay ones I've seen that are common on there, or from certain stores?

Both cushioning and the outrigger are connected as a chain with all the other aspects of a sneaker.
 If it wasn't for the lockdown/fit you wouldn't get that cushioning , and if it wasn't for all the above+stability, traction and responsiveness the outrigger would be unnecessary etc.. 
Start looking at a shoe from another angle, I recommend reading reaviews on sneakers from guys on this site, Prof K or the Scollector-sneakrfiles-counterkicks-blacklotus etc.

This will help you review and buy sneakers which fit your game style.

As for the zoom insoles I would not recommend switching them with the og ones. Fit/lockdown and instability issues will instantly emerge. 

Gggggas wrote:
Both cushioning and the outrigger are connected as a chain with all the other aspects of a sneaker.
 If it wasn't for the lockdown/fit you wouldn't get that cushioning , and if it wasn't for all the above+stability, traction and responsiveness the outrigger would be unnecessary etc.. 
Start looking at a shoe from another angle, I recommend reading reaviews on sneakers from guys on this site, Prof K or the Scollector-sneakrfiles-counterkicks-blacklotus etc.

This will help you review and buy sneakers which fit your game style.

As for the zoom insoles I would not recommend switching them with the og ones. Fit/lockdown and instability issues will instantly emerge.

I understand what you're saying, but at the same time I don't.  I've read reviews of the Zoom Soldier III (which would be my next shoe if these didn't work out) and I've read they have great lockdown fit and ankle support.  However, I read the same thing for my Black Ice Mids (and they did have great heel lockdown and ankle support) but I still rolled my ankle terribly in them from an akward landing from a rebound.  Based the reviews I've read (and from personal experience) and shoes I've worn with a wide, good outrigger (Kobe I, Kobe IV/V, Jordan 2010) WILL NOT let me roll me ankle from an akward landing no matter how bad it is. 

Shoes that have awesome lockdown and support (Jordan XX3 or Jordan 2011) have still allowed me to roll my ankle because there was nothing there to tip me over.  Not to discredit what you're saying, but in my personal experience, if a shoe doesn't have an outrigger, no matter how many good praises it receives for it's lockdown fit, you can still be vulnerable to bad ankle twists/sprains.

yeah i see no way to replace bottom loaded zoom. as for the bladders, the place i got them from a few years back no longer exists.

Originally Posted by eltouha

yeah i see no way to replace bottom loaded zoom. as for the bladders, the place i got them from a few years back no longer exists.

That stinks.  Well, here's hoping the Zoom lasts for me lol.

Did anyone else take a long time before their heel lockdown became good? I just wore them after playing in them for a month, and today was the first day where my heel was locked down so much that it hurt the back of my heels. This is the best lockdown I have ever felt in any shoe, and I really want to stock up on multiple pairs. If the Zoom really does last for a long time, I these will be my all time fav kicks. I tried to play in my Kobe V again today, but just had to go back to my 2010. I don't see myself playing in any other shoe for a while, and if these do go out then I will buy more pairs from my Nike Outlet. Just wish I hadn't bought the 2011 so I could have had another pair of 2010's.

I was mainly referring to this phrase ''The cushioning and outrigger are the most important things to me in a shoe'' .
What I meant was that even if a shoe has amazing cushioning but doesn't have a glove like fit and a great lockdown, the cushioning is partially wasted as well as the outrigger since you won't have good stability/responsiveness.
That's just one example, I hope that helped.

I see thanks for that response.  So far, these have been near perfect for me (traction gets a little bad but these are the clear outsole ones so yea....).  If they continue to perform the way they do then I will need to stock up...

And I totally agree with you.  So many shoes I've tried have had parts that worked perfectly but other parts that didn't.  For example, a shoe with really good cushioning will never really be felt if it has bad traction because your brain will sense you sliding around and work off of that instead of feeling the bounce back of the cushioning when the traction bites well.  The outrigger is always a deal breaker for me because even though your brain will not detect whether it is working properly or not, it's just the way it nearly nullifies that chance of ankle sprains and tweaks.

1. Mine's zoom are still in good condition, still bouncy.

2. ..i agree on you with this, my left and right heels doesnt receive a great lockdown..not an issue for me coz they are so comfy and responsive..

Originally Posted by ultimate disposal

1. Mine's zoom are still in good condition, still bouncy.

2. ..i agree on you with this, my left and right heels doesnt receive a great lockdown..not an issue for me coz they are so comfy and responsive..

That's good to hear.  I'm feeling better and better about playing in these.  Like I said, idk what changed, but the heel lockdown is to the point that it actually hurts and rubs against the back of my ankle bone.  For me this is good and bad because I at least know my heel is lockdown in and I'm allowed zero movement within the shoe, but it also hurts lol.  Like you said...because they are so comfy I just get over it and plan to wear thicker socks or perhaps put a bandage there if it gets bad.  Thing is, idk when or why this started happening because when I first started wearing them they never locked my heel down.  I've never had a shoe that took this long to break in if that is the case. 

Regardless, these are my fav. Jordans of all time (if you can even call them that because they're not "numbered").  The bold yet simplistic look combined with the amazing performance just make these pieces of art imo.  I know people hate the windows, but I don't think people have seen them in person to really judge them.  When they first came out I had given up on Jordan brand.  Then I found these for cheap and decided to give them a try, and when they arrived I was shocked at how much I loved/love them. 

i could never get a good lockdown in the heel either. everywhere else was fine but that was a concern for me. the zoom shouldn't bottom out anytime soon. also the phylon should hold up a lot better than the kobe 5, and help cushion the impact more. idk what it is about doublestacked zoom as opposed to large volume zoom units like the ones in the lebron 2 but they just last longer in my experiences.

Originally Posted by FOAMHEAD93

i could never get a good lockdown in the heel either. everywhere else was fine but that was a concern for me. the zoom shouldn't bottom out anytime soon. also the phylon should hold up a lot better than the kobe 5, and help cushion the impact more. idk what it is about doublestacked zoom as opposed to large volume zoom units like the ones in the lebron 2 but they just last longer in my experiences.
Yea, it seems as if when your foot builds up sweat that it loosens up the fit a bit.  Mine are really tight when first laced and locked before running hard.  After running hard and my feet sweat, they still loosen up.  They have good lockdown if you can tie them right and put the tongue in the right place, but it's like figuring out a math problem to find which fit is best for you lol.

Back
Top Bottom