Air Jordan 5 Retro Grape NRG - Fresh Prince

In West Philadelphia, born and raised ....

3005E67F-9F58-4C97-8A8D-35E66A320C7A.jpeg

I hit on SNS, I’m decent at customizing shoes. My xacto knife if ready I have 2013s, so I have laces, lace locks and the hole punch is on the way. From that vid I feel you can cut the treads connected to the net. Saw an image of a pair with all the holes punched so why not try.

D46C6907-7549-4227-BC10-7D8D2484CB47.png

Saw a pair in person and the quality is great.
The nike air on the back is always a great thing to see, but the debossed NIKE on the sole sells me (cue: who sees the sole?!).

The threads connecting the tongue to the panels seem to be easily cut, but... who's going to post up that vid doing it first?

I've noticed mis match leathers on a lot these, was able to check them in person and go through multiple pairs. Left and right shoe different, and certain panels had different leather.

In West Philadelphia, born and raised ....

3005E67F-9F58-4C97-8A8D-35E66A320C7A.jpeg

What shoe is The Fresh Prince wearing in the beginning of the show intro?...
...on the court, when he's getting spun around by one of the guys up to no good?

aj4? an air force? i seem to remember it being white & grey?
perhaps this is an old question?

:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

I hit on SNS, I’m decent at customizing shoes. My xacto knife if ready I have 2013s, so I have laces, lace locks and the hole punch is on the way. From that vid I feel you can cut the treads connected to the net. Saw an image of a pair with all the holes punched so why not try.

D46C6907-7549-4227-BC10-7D8D2484CB47.png
can you post the pic of the punched holes?? i feel this is going to be simple to do.

So some had soft leather and others had bad leather?

Wouldn't exactly say it's bad leather. Just different leather. Some were soft leather, some had hard leather. Some more tumbled or more wrinkled. But don't mind me, I'm just picky as hell when it comes to that mismatch stuff like when a left shoe is tumbled then the right shoe non tumbled, etc lol. Bugs me.

can you post the pic of the punched holes?? i feel this is going to be simple to do.
I think if you want a long lasting solution there is more to it than just punching the holes. I need to see them in hand to verify, if you want them to look OG it might take more than just punching. Another customizer was prepping for these by pulling apart older models to see how easy it is to restitch and switch materials around.
https://www.instagram.com/hoopfr3sh/?hl=en
I've got a few on the way, I'll definitely be posting the process at some point if I end up doing one of mine.

According to Frank Cooker, it’s a simple process to punch the holes and cut the thread.

71191729-94D6-46C8-8A81-53B64F62C3B6.jpeg
Just because you can hole punch it and lace them doesn't mean you should, if the shoe lacks the plastic to reinforce you will wind up with really messed up holes in the long run if you wear these often. You are better off paying someone to do this right and switching the plastics in then just hole punching if you want them to look right in the long run.

if youre gonna holepunch these and put laces,why not just get regular grape 5s? theyre around the same price and u wont have to risk messing ya kicks up trying to holepunch for laces and cut the tongue loose etc.

only big diff would be the words on the tongue on the fresh prince pair

not judging any1. genuinely curious.

Last edited:
Wouldn't exactly say it's bad leather. Just different leather. Some were soft leather, some had hard leather. Some more tumbled or more wrinkled. But don't mind me, I'm just picky as hell when it comes to that mismatch stuff like when a left shoe is tumbled then the right shoe non tumbled, etc lol. Bugs me.

I don't blame you for noticing details. I mean, these shoes are not meant to be just shoes anyway. Retros are collectible pieces for most people who buy them and noticing details is just a part of collecting. All good info to know and look out for man. Thanks.

frank cooker is the ultimate TROLL, he DESIGNED this shoe!!!!!! lmfao WTF????!!!!!!!!!!!????????? toooooooo funny!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I'll show him! I'm going to wear and enjoy the shoe as is, without laces. That'll teach him a lesson!

if youre gonna holepunch these and put laces,why not just get regular grape 5s? theyre around the same price and u wont have to risk messing ya kicks up trying to holepunch for laces and cut the tongue loose etc.

only big diff would be the words on the tongue on the fresh prince pair

not judging any1. genuinely curious.

Personally: the leather quality, and the Nike branding most notably.

Frank Cooker is a genius. He designed some shoes that people will talk about if the owners decide to punch holes in them. It's like a shoe with an option for laces. He essentially designed shoes that people aren't just gonna wear, they are easily customized to your liking. He hid the real grape 5s in a Fresh Prince disguise. It's like an easter egg in a shoe! Pure genius.

Frank Cooker is a genius. He designed some shoes that people will talk about if the owners decide to punch holes in them. It's like a shoe with an option for laces. He essentially designed shoes that people aren't just gonna wear, they are easily customized to your liking. He hid the real grape 5s in a Fresh Prince disguise. It's like an easter egg in a shoe! Pure genius.

No, don’t try to make excuses for this @&$!

It was a corny idea and he’s trying to save face, that’s not genius. And if you’re wondering if I’m a little salty because he chose to pull this gimmick garbage with one of my all time favorite shoes in my favorite colorway, yes I’m salty.

So honestly how do the shoes fit with no laces...serious question for those who have and not going to hole punch for laces...did nike make it where the shoes still fit or do they feel like any other shoe without laces

Back
Top Bottom