Air Jordan 6 retro “Carmine” - Nike Air - February 13, 2021

Once you already have a classic shoe, it's not hard to pick a good colorway or materials. These collaborators aren't geniuses.

I would describe them more as opportunists than geniuses. Although, there is still some genius in being able to take advantage of a market the way they do.

I would describe them more as opportunists than geniuses. Although, there is still some genius in being able to take advantage of a market the way they do.
You're using genius with a slightly different meaning than the original. Tons of businessmen dominate markets and make money. They're just really good at what they do but with average intelligence.

You're using genius with a slightly different meaning than the original. Tons of businessmen dominate markets and make money. They're just really good at what they do but with average intelligence.

In the end it doesn’t matter how many hairs we split in the meanings of terms and phrases, the only one that matters is classic, and the OW5 IS a CLASSIC. Let’s move on now.

In the end it doesn’t matter how many hairs we split in the meanings of terms and phrases, the only one that matters is classic, and the OW5 IS a CLASSIC. Let’s move on now.
Language is everything, without being specific about it anyone can say anything and it wouldn't matter. We can move on though.

Once you already have a classic shoe, it's not hard to pick a good colorway or materials. These collaborators aren't geniuses.
I have pretty limited "respect" for almost all of these collabs that have become a thing in recent years. The stuff I see from Abloh in particular is usually a joke to me, and not just shoes. Slapping labels like "SHOELACES" and "AIR" and "WET GRASS" etc etc on things is about as uninspired as it gets from a "design" standpoint. It's really not even design, it's just branding. But don't get me wrong, I'm also not saying I disrespect him or the others ... more like I look at most of it and just say, meh. And as mentioned, it's not too hard to take a classic shoe and work with Nike to put a cool spin on it. A lot of us could do so if given the opportunity.

My general view of Abloh makes it funny that I love the black OW Vs by a factor of about 10 compared to any other collabs ... but they just happened to come out really well to my eyes, which is why I got them. I'd probably like them even more if they weren't labeled as Off White LOL. But just like I don't want or buy things because of the hype or the collaborator, I will also not hate everything they do just because it's them doing it. If that makes sense. For whatever reasons the OW Vs appeal to me, they just do. So I got them. Couldn't care less about the name, the hype or the relative rarity of them. I'd have been just as happy if Nike had called them the AJ V Abstract or something, and made a million pairs so I could have bought them at retail.

I have pretty limited "respect" for almost all of these collabs that have become a thing in recent years. The stuff I see from Abloh in particular is usually a joke to me, and not just shoes. Slapping labels like "SHOELACES" and "AIR" and "WET GRASS" etc etc on things is about as uninspired as it gets from a "design" standpoint. It's really not even design, it's just branding. But don't get me wrong, I'm also not saying I disrespect him or the others ... more like I look at most of it and just say, meh. And as mentioned, it's not too hard to take a classic shoe and work with Nike to put a cool spin on it. A lot of us could do so if given the opportunity.

My general view of Abloh makes it funny that I love the black OW Vs by a factor of about 10 compared to any other collabs ... but they just happened to come out really well to my eyes, which is why I got them. I'd probably like them even more if they weren't labeled as Off White LOL. But just like I don't want or buy things because of the hype or the collaborator, I will also not hate everything they do just because it's them doing it. If that makes sense. For whatever reasons the OW Vs appeal to me, they just do. So I got them. Couldn't care less about the name, the hype or the relative rarity of them. I'd have been just as happy if Nike had called them the AJ V Abstract or something, and made a million pairs so I could have bought them at retail.

Exactly. There are plenty of Virgils Collabs that are outright disastrous (His Dunks :sick: ), but if he hits on one he hits on one. Can’t take that away from him. In the end, this is coming from people like yourself and I who do not climb on and cave to Every hyped collab that pops up, so that speaks to the greatness of that particular design.

4szc7b.jpg

I have pretty limited "respect" for almost all of these collabs that have become a thing in recent years. The stuff I see from Abloh in particular is usually a joke to me, and not just shoes. Slapping labels like "SHOELACES" and "AIR" and "WET GRASS" etc etc on things is about as uninspired as it gets from a "design" standpoint. It's really not even design, it's just branding. But don't get me wrong, I'm also not saying I disrespect him or the others ... more like I look at most of it and just say, meh. And as mentioned, it's not too hard to take a classic shoe and work with Nike to put a cool spin on it. A lot of us could do so if given the opportunity..
Truth.

Perhaps you need glasses? That would explain why you prefer the obviously worse colorway of the Off-White 5s.
And called them a classic! I thought I must be crazy and have a different definition of the word so I looked it up and nope I wasn’t the crazy one :lol:
You have a point there. The black OW5 is clearly the better of the two.
Yea those union 4s are garbage.
They could have been decent if they didn’t make the entire midsole a single color and picked a better NON-YELLOW color. But they didn’t. And the only reason they get the notoriety they do is because 1. They are limited and 2. The reputation they have from the insanely popular (and limited, yet again helping in the hype dept) Union 1s.

Back
Top Bottom