Air Jordan IV “Black/Cement” - May 4th 2019

I had a $250 credit I was waiting to use. Plus I am getting 6 pair of these (my Favorite all time Shoe). I have 2 pre-orders, a pair from Shock drop, a pair from Stockx that sold when the shock drop happened and I could not remove it in time, and the pair from Goat. Plus plan on picking a pair up on release day. 6 total
L4sz8i.gif

I had a $250 credit I was waiting to use. Plus I am getting 6 pair of these (my Favorite all time Shoe). I have 2 pre-orders, a pair from Shock drop, a pair from Stockx that sold when the shock drop happened and I could not remove it in time, and the pair from Goat. Plus plan on picking a pair up on release day. 6 total
Niceeee, I was wondering if these would be limited stock in certain areas

So if JB and Nike has people following our posts, and still seeing we all bought them. What does that tell them?
I think it tells them they continue to have a loyal, diehard following that loves and wants the shoes, but it's one that also isn't wholly satisfied with what it gets. Smart businesses listen to their customers even when their sales are through the roof because they want to keep themselves at the top of the market. When a company starts taking its consumers entirely for granted, that's often when that company starts a steep rate of decline. Nike itself has demonstrated from time to time that it, too, understands this principle. Otherwise, like you said, why did the company ever make any of the changes to the product that it has during the past however many years? It didn't have any trouble moving the seriously crap 2012 version of the BC IVs. Or the seriously crap 2011 Concords. Or any number of other shoddy retro versions of OGs. Yet it felt the need to make the 2018 Concords very close to the OGs, and it improved the Infrareds, and even though many of us have complaints about this IV, they did improve it compared to the last go around. Why is that?

NT seems to have a fair amount of people who subscribe to the, "They sell out so what motivation is there to change?" theory of business strategy. The reality is not that black and white when it comes to the long term. Porsche might sell every 911 it builds, but when the company starts getting a lot of feedback from loyal customers that they don't like this or that feature or wish the car had or did X, eventually that change gets incorporated, even as it continues to sell every car it produces. It might take several years to get incorporated, due to a variety of logistical and manufacturing factors, but the company leaders don't just sit back in their boardroom and say, screw these guys, they keep buying our cars so who cares? Ferrari tried that once about 30 years ago, and it came THIS close to going under. It was saved by a new president who recognized the brand had been relying solely on its name and history and logo, rather than good product, to sell cars. He quickly put the focus back on the actual cars, and pulled the company out of the grave. Today, it's practically unimaginable to picture Ferrari in a situation like that, but it really wasn't that long ago in the grand scheme.

Last edited:
not at all, i just dont pay any mind to them and certainly dont care enough to complain about people who post "3 pairs for me" as that would be kind of silly...

complaining about gripes other people have about the shoes is silly too. If not a bit suspect

"So if JB and Nike has people following our posts, and still seeing we all bought them. What does that tell them?"

It tells them that we're loyal to the product despite the incompetency on their behalf. If we bought them and didnt voice our displeasure I imagine that would tell them something a little different. They dont deserve our money AND praise. And they need to know that the money part is on thin ice too.

I personally wish this thread was about Fire Reds or Militarys so that the outcry might have a positive effect on the BC4 release afterward. Sadly, they released my coveted black version before those and those two lesser pairs have potential to be awesome, just like the wc3 when they release again soon. Thanks to this thread right here and the bc3 thread before it. HoopFr3sh on instagram was most definitely inspired by that thread to take things into his own hands. Best believe Jordan Brand then took notice too.
I consider myself loyal to the brand. But for instance, when the black red 11 came out in 2012, I passed. Did not at all like what they looked like and didnt even try for a pair. This and the Charcoal 7 are my 2 tops. I did the same with the "legend blue" I passed. I did not have an account then. But If I did, I would have drove everyone nuts with how much I didnt like them. To some though, those are fire to them. There are a few left I have to have but they have to be a certain way. Not perfect. But a certain detail MUST be there. Or I wont get them.

I think it tells them they continue to have a loyal, diehard following that loves and wants the shoes, but it's one that also isn't wholly satisfied with what it gets. Smart businesses listen to their customers even when their sales are through the roof because they want to keep themselves at the top of the market. When a company starts taking its consumers entirely for granted, that's often when that company starts a steep rate of decline. Nike itself has demonstrated from time to time that it, too, understands this principle. Otherwise, like you said, why did the company ever make any of the changes to the product that is has during the past however many years? It didn't have any trouble moving the seriously crap 2012 version of the BC IVs. Or the seriously crap 2011 Concords. Or any number of other shoddy retro versions of OGs. Yet it felt the need to make the 2018 Concords very close to the OGs, and it improved the Infrareds, and even though many of us have complaints about this IV, they did improve it compared to the last go around. Why is that?

NT seems to have a fair amount of people who subscribe to the, "They sell out so what motivation is there to change?" theory of business strategy. The reality is not that black and white when it comes to the long term. Porsche might sell every 911 it builds, but when the company starts getting a lot of feedback from loyal customers that they don't like this or that feature or wish the car had or did X, eventually that change gets incorporated, even as it continues to sell every car it produces. It might take several years to get incorporated, due to a variety of logistical and manufacturing factors, but the company leaders don't just sit back in their boardroom and say, screw these guys, they keep buying our cars so who cares? Ferrari tried that once about 30 years ago, and it came THIS close to going under. It was saved by a new president who recognized the brand had been relying solely on its name and history and logo, rather than good product, to sell cars. He quickly put the focus back on the actual cars, and pulled the company out of the grave. Today, it's practically unimaginable to picture Ferrari in a situation like that, but it really wasn't that long ago in the grand scheme.
Very much understood. Lets hope OUR brand gets this right and does the same consistently.

I consider myself loyal to the brand. But for instance, when the black red 11 came out in 2012, I passed. Did not at all like what they looked like and didnt even try for a pair. This and the Charcoal 7 are my 2 tops. I did the same with the "legend blue" I passed. I did not have an account then. But If I did, I would have drove everyone nuts with how much I didnt like them. To some though, those are fire to them. There are a few left I have to have but they have to be a certain way. Not perfect. But a certain detail MUST be there. Or I wont get them.
To be completely honest though, Im not real happy about this shoe and its pretty much 51/49 cop for me. Im barely off the fence on them. One pair is plenty. The extras I do buy to find a good pair( which could be 4 or 5 these days) are all going back once i get done. I hope the false sense of sell out stings a little when my returns show up. But I know theyll just sell them to someone else immediately anyway.

Saying you like the shoe as is, in your quote sounds like its the wrong thing to do. I have zero problem with the critiques you all give. I actually have learned a lot from them. Do I think they (complaints) have made impacts over the years? For sure. I def could give a lists of things I would like to see changed but you all have covered it. I myself have had to refrain from saying the same things you already have. But at the end of the day, the pair I dont buy, someone will. Then a few years from now I am possibly paying stupid resell price for something I could have easily gotten for retail. I like the shoes enough to want to buy a pair, even with all my own gripes. And as far as I know, the ones that are most displeased in here about these 4s, are still getting a pair anyway. So if JB and Nike has people following our posts, and still seeing we all bought them. What does that tell them?
I believe you hit the nail squarely on the head! I don’t believe anyone of us believe that after May 4th these will still be sitting regardless of every warranted complaint & negative opinion towards every detail... & I get it from both sides. As a consumer you should have an opinion from both sides & that’s why forums like this exist. We’re all passionate enough about this subject to even engage in discussion about it is awesome! Coming from an old 45 year old-head like myself who’s love affair began with the original Air Jordan Black/Red back in ‘85 till the present day I totally understand. But I also remember one of the best days of my life was when the term “retro” was created & that the opportunity even existed to once again own some of these beloved models that I once believed that I would never see again?!? Were the molds & specs exactly the same??? Hell... Who knows?!? Didn’t know... Didn’t Care... & honestly still don’t?!? At the end of the day it’s laughable as a grown man to let the opinions of another grown man sway your decision on how to spend your money on what you like and/or dislike when it comes to your own personal opinion. Do you man... I’ve followed NT for as long as I can remember before joining & the info alone has been invaluable in itself! I love this platform NT & thank you for all the insight over the years... negative or positive... I’m thankful for it all!!!

#Since85

I think it tells them they continue to have a loyal, diehard following that loves and wants the shoes, but it's one that also isn't wholly satisfied with what it gets. Smart businesses listen to their customers even when their sales are through the roof because they want to keep themselves at the top of the market. When a company starts taking its consumers entirely for granted, that's often when that company starts a steep rate of decline. Nike itself has demonstrated from time to time that it, too, understands this principle. Otherwise, like you said, why did the company ever make any of the changes to the product that is has during the past however many years? It didn't have any trouble moving the seriously crap 2012 version of the BC IVs. Or the seriously crap 2011 Concords. Or any number of other shoddy retro versions of OGs. Yet it felt the need to make the 2018 Concords very close to the OGs, and it improved the Infrareds, and even though many of us have complaints about this IV, they did improve it compared to the last go around. Why is that?

Youd think they listen but sometimes theres an unshakable agenda at play that prevents any positive change.

Case in point, Coca Cola. They know damned well mexican (sugar) coke is far superior and more coveted than the high fructose version but no mater how much time passes and no matter the sales explosion, they refuse to put it in two liters much less do away with that nasty ace corn syrup. Because they probably get incentives to offer the more harmful version to the masses from the medical industry.

The corn syrup shouldve never been put into the equation in the first place

Basically my point is that its extremely annoying to deal with companies who change original products up in a quest to make more profit. Its disrespectful and REALLY annoying to watch because there are no alternatives. We are at their stupid mercy.

How much money could they have possibly made at JB by making the durabuck so thin? Its excruciating. ILL PAY YOU THE 10 CENTS YOU SAVED ON THAT MIKE, STOP F'ING THE SHOES UP

Last edited:
Perhaps Michael Jordan once laid out a plan to reduce all of his playing shoes to mere shells of what they once were because he wants people to think he had it rough and therefor must be that much better than todays players

"he did all that in these?!?! daaaang!"

I definitely get the complaints and do agree with a lot of them but, the way I’m looking at it is these haven’t had a good retro since 99 so this is the first decent retro in a long time. Would I like them to be exactly like the original- yes of course. These are a big improvement over the last couple retros. Are they perfect- no, but I like what I see so I’m getting a pair and will be happy with them. If you don’t like them and you actually do pass much respect to you.

Youd think they listen but sometimes theres an unshakable agenda at play that prevents any positive change.

Case in point, Coca Cola. They know damned well mexican (sugar) coke is far superior and more coveted than the high fructose version but no mater how much time passes and no matter the sales explosion, they refuse to put it in two liters much less do away with that nasty ace corn syrup. Because they probably get incentives to offer the more harmful version to the masses from the medical industry.

Basically my point is that its extremely annoying to deal with companies who change original products up in a quest to make more profit. Its disrespectful and REALLY annoying to watch because there are no alternatives. We are at their stupid mercy.

How much money could they have possibly made at JB by making the durabuck so thin? Its excruciating. ILL PAY YOU THE 10 CENTS YOU SAVED ON THAT MIKE, STOP F'ING THE SHOES UP
Yeah, obviously companies don't just do everything every single customer or subgroup of customers suggests. But the smart, long-lasting ones do listen and do take cumulative suggestions onboard from time to time. In your example of Coke, to me it would be more appropriate to compare the ill-fated 1985 switch to New Coke to what Nike/Jordan likes to do. The OG is Coke Classic, many of the retros are New Coke. And like I said, we know how that all ended for that company :lol:

Drinking regular coke is dumb af anyway.

Yeah, obviously companies don't just do everything every single customer or subgroup of customers suggests. But the smart, long-lasting ones do listen and do take cumulative suggestions onboard from time to time. In your example of Coke, to me it would be more appropriate to compare the ill-fated 1985 switch to New Coke to what Nike/Jordan likes to do. The OG is Coke Classic, many of the retros are New Coke. And like I said, we know how that all ended for that company :lol:
Coke classic is when the corn syrup started. They put out new coke (Gentry I (the jumpman era)) to divert people's attention from the change to corn syrup when the original formula finally came back (remastered campaign with Nike Air).

The OG is Coca Cola. Made with sugar.

with these corn syrup thin materials and netting they have going on at JB now.

Back
Top Bottom