Air Jordan V 5 Retro Fire Red "Black Tongue" 8/31

I had this pair as a kid so they will always hold a special place in my heart. The "23" was a HUGE deal to me then, and if JB had removed it from this pair it would be extremely sad. You only understand if you were around back then, but all the other V's that came out before these (Blk/Metallic, the other Fire Reds, and Grapes) had no 23 so when this pair dropped it was like a bomb going off to kid me. I saw MJ wearing the 23 on his shoes and so when I could have 23 on my shoes it was so sick.

You read my mind!

I had the OG white/black/red 5's back in 1990 (can't bring myself to call them fire reds like everyone seems to do now) and bought red number stickers to put on the heel so my pair would look like MJ's PE's lol

Like you, my mind was blown when the fire red 5's released with the "23" on the side, just like MJ's. Was never able to get a pair of the OG's back in the day, so I was thrilled to finally get a pair in '06. Definitely would not be the same without that "23" on the side.

They did indeed release the Fire Red 3M tongue 5's in 1990 with the 23 stitched on the side.

I was at Athletes foot when i copped them (well, i was with my mom, but they did have them).

Pretty certain this was the case... unless my memory sucks...

Looks like your memory sucks, my man. I was 16 when the OG's dropped. I was already in full blown Jordan obsession mode and can tell you with 100% certainty, the 3M tongue 5's never released with the "23" on the side. Only the fired red 5's (black tongue) did. MJ had a PE's with the "23" but they never released.

Looks like your memory sucks, my man. I was 16 when the OG's dropped. I was already in full blown Jordan obsession mode and can tell you with 100% certainty, the 3M tongue 5's never released with the "23" on the side. Only the fired red 5's (black tongue) did. MJ had a PE's with the "23" but they never released.

This is true

correct

no "23" here in the released version

Last edited:
That is correct. No 23 was on the og release 3m tongue 5. Mike had pe pairs with the 23. Only shoe that released with the 23 was the black tongue. Now....jb need to re-release the black metallics without the 23 like the og's.

That is correct. No 23 was on the og release 3m tongue 5. Mike had pe pairs with the 23. Only shoe that released with the 23 was the black tongue. Now....jb need to re-release the black metallics without the 23 like the og's.
This

For those that have both these and the IV's how would u say the sizing is compared to one another? Im trying to see if i could get a way with going a half size down if need be if i choose to buy online

For those that have both these and the IV's how would u say the sizing is compared to one another? Im trying to see if i could get a way with going a half size down if need be if i choose to buy online
From my personal experience, the 4's run true to size and the 5's run a half size big. I think you can definitely go a half size down if you're copping a pair of 5's. My Grapes (size 12) fit bigger than all the rest of my J's so I plan to get an 11.5 when it's time to grab the Laneys

:stoneface: Glad I read the thread before responding to the "I want the 23 because mikes pair had the 23, but only on these" comment.
Recent 5s have been runnin .5 or a full size too big for most people.
I think this years 5s are about a whole size down. I would definitely go a half size down

Last edited:
From my personal experience, the 4's run true to size and the 5's run a half size big. I think you can definitely go a half size down if you're copping a pair of 5's. My Grapes (size 12) fit bigger than all the rest of my J's so I plan to get an 11.5 when it's time to grab the Laneys

This has been true of all V releases this year except for the black grapes. They ran smaller than the white grapes and 3m fire reds.

These >>>>> fire red 3's imo

A lot of people passed on the 3m tounge in Janurary for these. With the same color pattern as the grapes I have a feeling these will be very popular among the youth.

Don't sleep thinking they'll sit because you'll regret it later

A lot of people passed on the 3m tounge in Janurary for these. With the same color pattern as the grapes I have a feeling these will be very popular among the youth.

I kinda regret passing on them in January. I like these a lot more than the other fire red Vs but I wouldn't mind having them

thats what I did, I much prefer the black tongue to the 3m tongue

glad I copped the cdp, both shoes were fire.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom