Air Jordan V retro OG - Nike Air - Fire Red/Silver tongue - May 2, 2020

They use to put what was coming out in a little glass case by the register

Sometimes they would even let me see the list of what they were getting

Man the good ol days

I remember the list of shoes. But the holy Grail of information back then was the Nike vendor catalog, that showed all the shoes that were in that season! That wasn't to be shown to the consumer. Some mom & pop places let people see it. I also play tennis and grew up playing and idolizing Agassi. So the small tennis shop I went to, the owner always called me and let me look through the Nike Tennis catalog to see what I may want to order. It's how I saw the Flare, LWP, Zoom Challenge I & II, Pounce, Ablaze, etc. Plus the clothing book. Man do I miss those books!!

ready for these

gonna hafta dump the 06 black tongues in favor of NA for now
2F0EEF37-1C12-4B5B-B678-5A3EA5A6F155.jpeg

9.5...hmu

I’m nervous about the materials used on the shoe. It looks similar to the 2013 material.

They look shiny but softer judging by the way the leather wrinkles.
I have faith/hope the frame & the leather provide more give & comfort than the 2006-2013 AJ5 retro bricks.
I think those were the low point.

If they had a specific release date it wasn't advertised. Usually you'd see them on mjs feet, then go to the mall and they'd be there. I think the stores put them out when they received them.
Na not around me. There was definitely an announced release day. Well, release night bc they did midnight releases at Champs, FootLocker, etc. They'd sell out that night and they'd restock in a week or so and then have them sitting on shelves.

here is an original AJ4 commercial from 1989...

showing the 02/15/89 US release date at the end
this was the Wednesday following the 02/12/89 All-Star game

the AJ5 may have released on 02/14/90 - the Wednesday after the 1990 all-star game...
someone can do the rest of the homework to verify for me...i'm feeling lazy

peace

Yep, 2/14 seems the likely date. My bday is 2/18 and I know for a fact that they came out that week bc I got them for my bday.

Around my way sneakers didn’t start getting actual release dates until the 12’s...Before that they shops just started selling them when they showed up...

They’d get an order list so they could see what was coming out that season...Once they put their product requests in they just showed up when Nike was ready to send them...

Love reading everyone's memories of the OG days. I'm 41 and look back on those days with such fondness. From my memories, I don't remember them having exact nationwide release dates, but I wouldn't probably remember anyway since I never got a pair the day they came out. As others mentioned, when you got a glimpse of the new pair in the new commercial, you knew they were on the way. I could be wrong, but seems like I remember the og black and white pairs coming out earlier in the year and then the alternate colorways coming out late in the year because it seems like a lot of kids at school would get the alt versions for Xmas presents. But hell, that was a LONG time ago and I've put a hurtin' on my brain over the years!

For the golfers
1582223461977.png

I love golf, and I love my XI concord golf, and my WC 3 golf, and I love Vs. But for the life of me, I do not like this low V. Just doesn't seem like a model that works. Although it looks like they did a real nice job with the custom midsole/outsole.

When will JB get around to making some XII lows for the links?

Back
Top Bottom