Air Tech Challenge II and Tech Low Retro EDIT*pic* 9/29 uhoh

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

My question is, how did all these non-Agassi and non-tennis fans become such fanatics about this shoe? I am planning on getting these when I can actually walk into a store and buy them, but I'll be wearing them for their heritage, not just the colors.
the size of this thread grew exponentially over the week..... people who otherwise wouldn't pay attention see 25+ pages, eastbay backorders, people cheering when they get the "shipped" email.... and thus it snowballs.....

would have been the same for last year's if Nike just did them right....

Is that true...that just because a thread is long and people are talking about it, it will make others jump on board. A guess TRUE hypebeast exists? Ialways gave a benefit of a doubt. I still go by the mantra...I buy shoes I like..not what people or blogs tell me. So...sometimes what I like is part of thehype therefore I get jumbled into that category. I would hate to know that people that dont have a love or a memory of this shoe buying it just because we sayso....strange. But I guess it is true.
My only proof is my age, I graduated HS in 1990..hahaha...nuff said. I remember these shoes and I wore these shoes. Sad I am old!

i believe the hype is strong on these mainly because nike did them right, if they released them the way they look on the ndc pic with white lava i wouldnt buythem and im sure this thread would have stopped moving 9 pages ago. also it doesnt help that many blog type pages are telling everyone that these are resellingon ebay for 200+

Thread got outta hand when everyone felt the need to post ebay prices every minute, people then got greedy, buying 5 at a time off eastbay

The shoe is popular because it looks nice, nuff said

^I agree. I'm not one to knock the next person's hustle, but buying 5+ pairs is OD especially when there are people around scavenging for onepair
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Hodog16

To quote myself:

Quote:
I remember being torn between those and the blue/orange pair.

Found this picture located deep in my hard drive:

word up!!!

lets hope nike does retros like this more often....I might have to scoop up another pair.....

by the way....does anyone have comparison pics between the sample retros vs actual releaseretros!??!

if this is also set to retro... then i'm going to have to think about it (since nike wants to go hard for 2008 by retroing everything leaving me almostdirt broke).... one of my favorite og c/ws (not mine ...old pic I right clicked > save)
kdmt1t.png

iite cool doggies peace....

yea but that dude who bought 5 pairs they were all in his size....just cause you buy a lot of pairs of one shoes doesnt make you a reseller....im tryin to buy6 pairs of penny IIs in the white/blue colorway but i might cut it down to 4 and get 2 of the black/blue its just a GRAIL to me i dont never want to be without that shoe again....

It doesn't make you a reseller but 2 will cover you, 3 is overkill but still understandable, but 5?

Nah

There's plenty of shoes I only have one pair of and they still look new after countless wears

Don't get me wrong tho, I def don't care, just offering my perception on the matter

This is a very popular shoe. And it has been sought after by many people over the years.

That said, the hype train is full with this release. I'm willing to bet that half of the people beasting over these never were around when the OGs dropped.And many of them probably didn't know who Agassi was until the TC release last year.

And that isn't to say that you can't appreciate these shoes for what they are, either. If you like em', that is more than enough for me. But pleasebelieve there are a whole gang of people buying these simply because they're the "it" shoe of NT right now. I expect to see a lot of dudesselling of their pair(s) in a few months when they realize they never really liked them that much to begin with.

Originally Posted by phreakposite

My question is, how did all these non-Agassi and non-tennis fans become such fanatics about this shoe? I am planning on getting these when I can actually walk into a store and buy them, but I'll be wearing them for their heritage, not just the colors.

I guess I have the masses to thank, since otherwise they wouldn't have ever been retroed anyway, but now it seems I have the masses to blame, resellers especially, since I can't find them.
You bring up some good points... with this hype, seems like everyones ODing with 4+ pairs...
tired.gif
@ those compaining that they couldn't cop their 3rd pair... I'm stillwaiting for my first pair...

and I agree... I was an Agassi fan since 1990 up to his retirement... its unfortunate that he'll probably be most remembered for his shoes and outfits, buthe was an amazing tennis player too... the only man to have ever won all the grand slam titles AND an Olympic Gold...

Originally Posted by phreakposite

So when are they going to retro the Air Challenge Future that I need? That had everything but the loud colors - huarache upper, with innerbootie, velcro strap, visible air. They've been killing the Air Flare, but they haven't given any consideration to the first iteration of that sole design, which is among my favorite Agassis. I've never found a new 10.5, even when I bought them in 1994.

Oh, wait, they had the newer flaming ball logo, so just like the ATC III, it won't be like the original, and that probably also means that the Tennis Sucks campaign from 1995 won't retro either. That polo that went with my LWPs was the 2nd best shirt ever.

and regarding the Challenge Futures... I doubt those might retro... I loved the huarache fit with the strap, but nowadays (IMO), its all about the loudcolors that grab the masses' attention...

laugh.gif
you remember the Tennis Sucks campaign as well? that was with the LWPline with the bold horizontal stripe polo... the copper/white as well as white/black c/w was nice (95 US Open)... I still have my skull-and-cross racquets capstored somewhere... classic

Originally Posted by SinnerP

and regarding the Challenge Futures... I doubt those might retro... I loved the huarache fit with the strap, but nowadays (IMO), its all about the loud colors that grab the masses' attention...

it's big now again too, yeah, but... the late 80s/early 90s? all people wore were loud colors
laugh.gif

^ I'm just sayin... I think they might be too 'plain' for the tastes of today... but then again, what do I know...
tongue.gif

You bring up some good points... with this hype, seems like everyones ODing with 4+ pairs... @ those compaining that they couldn't cop their 3rd pair... I'm still waiting for my first pair...

That just about sums it up. Agassi will always be my favorite tennis player...and in my opinion the shoe is HOT. And this is from a dude that ain't evenfeelin' Nike too tough lately. I'm not ordering anything online. I'll wait until they drop at the local spots, walk in calmly, and purchase my pairto wear. But all these cats talking about they need 5 pair, and they mad they only got 3?!

What the @#$%

BEASTS!!! That's the definition of hype these days, cause I ain't buying 5 pairs of no shoe...regardless of the so called "hotness". I goback to the days when a hot shoe was released, whether it be a Jordan, air max whatever. You go to the store, bought your pair...and you were straight.Wasn't nobody pressed to be copping multiple pair!!! FOR WHAT?! You gonna wear each pair on your fingers?!

Ya'll can have all this kiddie internet beasting, I can't relate.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by sneakermane

You bring up some good points... with this hype, seems like everyones ODing with 4+ pairs... @ those compaining that they couldn't cop their 3rd pair... I'm still waiting for my first pair...

That just about sums it up. Agassi will always be my favorite tennis player...and in my opinion the shoe is HOT. And this is from a dude that ain't even feelin' Nike too tough lately. I'm not ordering anything online. I'll wait until they drop at the local spots, walk in calmly, and purchase my pair to wear. But all these cats talking about they need 5 pair, and they mad they only got 3?!

What the @#$%

BEASTS!!! That's the definition of hype these days, cause I ain't buying 5 pairs of no shoe...regardless of the so called "hotness". I go back to the days when a hot shoe was released, whether it be a Jordan, air max whatever. You go to the store, bought your pair...and you were straight. Wasn't nobody pressed to be copping multiple pair!!! FOR WHAT?! You gonna wear each pair on your fingers?!

Ya'll can have all this kiddie internet beasting, I can't relate.
smh.gif

That's because everybody want's the "Look at me" feeling. Next thing you know they're bragging about how many pairs of shoes theycopped because they thrive on attention. I remember those days too when you could just walk into a store and walk out with a pair and be more than happy.Nowadays, the game has totally changed and you gotta fight for your pair with these attention hounds to grab a single pair. Happens every release. Somebodybrags. Somebody misses out. Somebody resells. Somebody's angry. Typical NT'ers. Some of the greediest people in the world~
eyes.gif

I was actually one of the people who bought multiple pairs of the ATC II (5 to be exact, all 13's), that I'm sure some of you are referring to, so Ijust thought I'd explain why. Not that I owe it to anyone, I'm just awake and have nothing better to do right now, plus I like to write.

Straight up, they're not to resell, they're strictly for me. Although I'm not a reseller and I personally despise most ofthem for basically wrecking the balance of the game, this release actually made me think twice about it the way some are beasting over these.

Anyways, I'm sure you all have your own story on what certain shoes mean to you and why. I always find reading other peoples' stories very interesting,so I'll share mine. This shoe holds a LOT of sentimental value for me. For one, it was the first Nike Vis-AIR higher end shoe that I ever got my hands on.For two, back when I was 14, I had to save up for almost two months to get my initial pair after seeing it in ads and at stores. Then, literally a week aftergetting the ATC's I saw the first ad in SI for the first shoe that ever made me totally freak when I laid my eyes on it, like
eek.gif
. It would become my favorite of all time, and ultimately get me kick started intothis crazy little hobby we have. If you know me, then you know it was the Air Jordan V in black/silver, which took another 3 plus months to obtain after morefrantic saving and scrounging around until I finally found a pair in my size on a trip 3000 miles away from home. But that's another story.

Still, that story kind of relates to this one. Working for and earning both of these shoes as a young teenager taught me the value of hard work, and thatnothing worthwhile ever comes easily. That's something that always stuck with me and has driven me to not only ultimately become an executive at an apparelcompany, but start my own business as well at the same time. This, and the fact that these shoes are from my personally favorite era and are some of myfavorite styles makes them mean that much more to me. Though I'm sure some people will laugh when you say shoes can teach life lessons. LOL.

Funny but true - the whole concept of getting multiples initially came to me from a scene in "The Sandlot" where the dudepulls a fresh pair of PF Flyers straight out of the box. From that moment, I always said if the black/silver V's ever gotre-released I'd get more than one pair because I always regretted not having another pair from 1990. The practice of gettingmultiples for me began back in '99 with the IV Retros. I liked them so much I got 2 pairs. When the V's came back the next year, I took it a stepfurther and eventually got 8 pairs. The whole point to me was getting enough so you can beat a pair to death and always have a fresh DS pair in the closetready for action, LOL. I actually now have exactly 20 pairs just of the black/silver AJ V alone, still including the initial beat to death pair that I boughtin June 1990, none of which I've ever resold, that's how much I loved the shoe. The ATC II's were another one of the modelsthat was special to me, so I knew that if they were ever re-released in Lava, I'd be getting multiples, but I never thought it would take Nike 18 years tofinally bring them back. That's why I've been all over this release ever since I first saw this post.

How I ended up with 5 pairs of ATC's, though, was more due to good fortune than anything. Originally I would have been happy with 2-3 pairs. I neverexpected a) for Eastbay to do pre-orders, and for b) a very helpful, unselfish, and appreciated NikeTalker to concurrently post a 20% discount code. So I didthe math. I was already planning on possibly buying 3 pairs. If I bought 5 the discount would be so significant that I'd actually end up only paying for 4pairs, in essence getting 1 for free, and 4 pairs was only 1 more than I was originally planning on paying for. The planets all lined up right, and I was ableto get my order through. Now how many of you wouldn't have gone for getting a whole pair for free if you could have, especially THESE?

So however convoluted, that's the unusual odyssey of how I ended up with 5 pairs, and to a larger extent why I buy multiples of shoes that really meansomething to me. I'm sure some still won't understand why, but I collect what I collect for myself, not for anyone else. In the end, it works for me.

PainBL - I understand where you are coming from...buyingmultiple pairs is good in the long run... you want to buy a pair beat them up til' you have holes everywhere, and then when its time to look for anotherpair.... its now expensive... but!! if you truely love a shoe that has a special meaning as opposed to "other" shoes in your collection, thenprice does not matter...so all in all it could go either way...

...but for the people having already 3 pairs ...complaining they trying for their 5th need to relax... its not even april yet (2 days to go) ....so just waitfor the drop...

for the people trying to get their first pair.... JUST WAIT !!!!

iiite cool doggies...peace

nice story BL,

the only multiples i have ever copped are these kicks. why now? previously i was also unable to afford the luxury of multiples. i have come up on second pairsof coveted kicks these days. how? reselling? NO. having a job that can safely allow me to have such extra flow to do so.
i can never imagine the passion as BL may have or even billy hoyle when the zoom flights dropped a couple of months ago. to me it is somtehting special. youcan tell it is not beastery.

i'm thinking about copping a 3rd pair when they hit NJ but who knows.

also sneakerman, i appluad u on yr comments and respect it. i love yr youtube show. but try not to point out hypebeastin so hard man.

to me another form of hypebeasting are all the vans riders. kids trading in the nikes bc its "hype" and blindly copping half-cabs left and right. Iknow u aint this type of cat. but lets all breathe?

paix.

-JP

I just saw on ISS some guy had 8 pairs for sale at $165 a pop. I wouldn't really care too much but the guy was from VA and I'm from MD, so he waspretty much preventing me from getting the shoe, since I could easily drive down to VA and pick them up.

I really hope they put a limit on how many pairs people can buy...or else I might just pass on these cause I refuse to pay much more then $100

Damn people went a little crazy when they saw the prices on ebay. But at least I got a pair just a 1/2 size big but it'll work.

When people are scrambling to find even find ONE pair and someone shares a picture of their FIVE pairs, it's generally not going to be received well bythose who weren't nearly as fortunate.

Can ANYONE confirm whether or not FINISHLINE.COM or FOOTLOCKER.COM/CHAMPS/FOOTACTION is getting these? I can't believe Eastbay's the only ones gettingthem. I called up NTSF and they're not getting them at all.
Any/all info please hit me back and/or update.
peace

Saw em at DTLR and know a few more spots are getting them. Didnt cop. THis thread is making me rethink that. I might have to go and cop just to insure a pair.Sneakermane is dead on though. 2 pair is one thing, but even if these are grails they are not THAT well done of a retro. Better than the last release for sure,but if it werent for hype I gurantee these will hit sales racks in 757. Thanks to this thread Im gonna have to pick up a pair for retail now!

The hype also stemmed from no actual photos of the samples being seen beforehand also. Nike did a great job of keeping these hush hush until the release. A notso good looking sample without the splatter surfaced way back in August fueling the buzz. I could have been big headed and photographed my samples but I choseabide by Nike's request and not show them. I think I had probably 30 emails I posted this pic in the WDYWT in early November.
2qntwky.jpg

Next up, Nike Air Penny II (blk, October wht, November)
These will give the Tech Challanege II a run for there $ as the best retro of the year.
smokin.gif

Donjuan - now that these are officially out, can we get some detailed pics of your black-tongued samples? Are you allowed to? Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom