Anybody ever fasted before?

I am going to fast until sunday. I just read RZA's book and it was something he said will help you find yourself and gain discipline, so I'ma give it a shot.

just do not exert any energy what so ever. fasts are best done on vacation, or a break. dont expect to live normally if you are fasting

Fasting is one thing that I was actually pretty strict about while I was a practicing Catholic. I think it's good to be able to empathize a little with people who have no choice but to fast. 24 hour fast is cake but 36 is what I usually aim for. If you get hungry prayer/ meditation is a good way to counteract the urge to eat. Again, you should have no real problem fasting for a day, your body doesn't start going into starvation mode for several days with no food.

Good luck and stay strong!

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

justdo not exert any energy what so ever. fasts are best done on vacation,or a break. dont expect to live normally if you are fasting

Not true. Fasting can be done easily on a regular day. I wouldn't suggest sports or anything, but I have had Muslim teammates who have played through Ramadan while still fasting.

What kind of fasting are you guys talking about?

where I'm from they eat all type of food, aside from anything that involves animal product. I've not heard of fasting that involves not eating all day long, that is kind overboard.

fasted for 4-5 days once. detoxifies you, all the toxins that come out of your tongue is bananas.

i have a friend that fasted for a whole month in the middle of football season,
hes a beast cuz he never fainted and still went as hard as he could..

not by choice
laugh.gif

but stay strong & I heard prayer helps

every year during Ramadan and multiple other times throughout the year

You gotta be more specific of what type of fasting you're doing. As Muslims we fast from sun up to sun set ONLY and do not drink or eat at all during the day. Are you thinking about doing something like this or a water only fast or something similar?

Originally Posted by ShoxBb433

I am going to fast until sunday. I just read RZA's book and it was something he said will help you find yourself and gain discipline, so I'ma give it a shot.
ya fasting does alter your consciousness especially combined with meditation and self reflection..i know alot of native american tribes would fast in isolation until they experienced a prophetic vision regarding their future and the purpose of their live on earth...but like somebody else in the thread said you should fast when you know your not going to have to do any demanding activities because if you fast for a long time (and i mean the only thing you intake is water sparingly) you will get really zoned out...like REALLY zoned out
laugh.gif

im doing it right now

but im sort of cheating...ill drink only half a bottle of water OR an apple before 9am to my brain can function in class

i know im doing it wrong, but i do it to help me concentrate on my school work..but other than that, i always wait to eat till its time

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

30 days consecutively from sun up til sun down.

Best thing I ever did in my life.
not to knock anyones religion but I never understood giving up the right to eat food, what nutritions you, I dont even give up meat for lent, its absurd to me.

I understand the point of sacraficing(well not really) but there are other methods, maybe skipping tv, listening to music, ect. But not eating? We are human we are supposed to consume. I take it as an insult.

I do it once a month now.

Took me about 3 months to learn how to do it properly. Preparation, enduring the fast and breaking it properly.

Feel totally refreshed at the end of the 72 hours.

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

not to knock anyones religion but I never understood giving up the right to eat food, what nutritions you, I dont even give up meat for lent, its absurd to me.

I understand the point of sacraficing(well not really) but there are other methods, maybe skipping tv, listening to music, ect. But not eating? We are human we are supposed to consume. I take it as an insult.
The reason we (Muslims) fast is not necessarily for the sole reason of sacrifice food or anything of that nature but is to draw yourself closer to God. By abstaining yourself from food and drink for the sunlight hours, you are showing your commitment to God. You are showing that you have control over your worldly desires (the need for food, water, sex) while refraining from lying, cheating, anger, etc. It's not just giving up food. The Prophet said that if you're gonna continue lying, cheating and showing your anger, there's no point in giving up food because you're just doing it in vain. It also teachers us how to be generous to those less fortunate. While you're walking around hungry during the day, you realize how those who live without food for weeks on end feel. It makes you realized how blessed you are that at least you get some food when the sun goes down while many people go to sleep on an empty stomach on a nightly basis. This is why we're supposed to provide meals for those less fortunate during Ramadan and the amount of charity given by Muslims increases.

This past Ramadan was the most exhausting and difficult for me but I never felt as content and happy as I did that month. My days consisted of going to class and studying while my nights consisted of going to mosque, praying and reading/memorizing Qur'an. I would literally come home from the mosque at 12 am, sleep until 3 am, wake up and pray, eat the morning meal, read Qur'an until the morning prayer and then start my day. There's no way I would have survived that type of schedule and lack of sleep if it was for any other reason but I felt
pimp.gif
the whole way through it

Originally Posted by Wooly Willy

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

The reason we (Muslims) fast is not necessarily for the sole reason of sacrifice food or anything of that nature but is to draw yourself closer to God. By abstaining yourself from food and drink for the sunlight hours, you are showing your commitment to God. You are showing that you have control over your worldly desires (the need for food, water, sex) while refraining from lying, cheating, anger, etc. It's not just giving up food. The Prophet said that if you're gonna continue lying, cheating and showing your anger, there's no point in giving up food because you're just doing it in vain. It also teachers us how to be generous to those less fortunate. While you're walking around hungry during the day, you realize how those who live without food for weeks on end feel. It makes you realized how blessed you are that at least you get some food when the sun goes down while many people go to sleep on an empty stomach on a nightly basis. This is why we're supposed to provide meals for those less fortunate during Ramadan and the amount of charity given by Muslims increases.

This past Ramadan was the most exhausting and difficult for me but I never felt as content and happy as I did that month. My days consisted of going to class and studying while my nights consisted of going to mosque, praying and reading/memorizing Qur'an. I would literally come home from the mosque at 12 am, sleep until 3 am, wake up and pray, eat the morning meal, read Qur'an until the morning prayer and then start my day. There's no way I would have survived that type of schedule and lack of sleep if it was for any other reason but I felt
pimp.gif
the whole way through it
As you said you are exhausting yourself, you do realize giving up eating your are limiting your bodys nutrition to stay awake, function, process data, which will conflict with your schoolwork/occupation and advancements

I see no reason in not eating to be in the shoes of the less fortunate, its quite opposite for me, if you have the food to eat, you eat,.....and if you have extra to give, you give. There isnt much out of you starving (and harming) yourself.
Giving up some you WANT would be a better substitution than to give up some thing you NEED.
desires vs. necessities

but thats just me

Back
Top Bottom