Anyone else feel like 9-5 life isn't for them?

Originally Posted by CurbYourEnthusiasm

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

^^^^Man, if that was the case, I would get paid like 2 hours at most per day.

I can't wait to get a new job.

okay, 2 hours

what if you were making like 40 an hour then?

instead of 8 an hour for 10 hours?

when there is only 2 hours of work being done either way

?????????????

that would make the mitt romney "i make 56k a day" type dudes a little insecure tho...

roll.gif

i used to work in publishing in an editorial department....

since i was being paid severely less than ex-stripper secretaries with no formal education

i felt i needed to make my own wages more....competitive...

so i did work less than half the time i was there....anytime i was asked to do physical labor that wasnt in my EDITORIAL job description, i didnt do any work the rest of the day (they also required business casual...which was much more formal...i was lifting 90 50lbs boxes of books in the summer, fight me.)

call it whatever you want, we had 5 ex-strippers making twice what every degreed editor made.

yes, i was on niketalk heavy...i worked about 3 of the 8 hours i was there.....

dont feel bad nor guilty

they were too cheap to pay us even enough to pay our LOANS back from the DEGREE they required....

they were also too cheap to put some sort of measure in place to ensure we werent on AIM chat making fun of them while they stood there talking...

this isnt the same generation, we not finna slave away at one company for 45 years just to get a pat on the back and a headache trynna collect retirement....

we average like 25 different employers....LMAO

they need to reform the system instead of calling us "lazy"...or theyll continue getting 10% and 20% productivity (made up numbers, fight me)

im too smart to slave away for 12 dollars an hour when you require me to have a 4 year degree...period.

youre not even paying me more than my loan per year, b

what incentive do i have to NOT do the bare minimum for you?

im sure my rhetoric will anger plenty of you

but thats about as candid as it gets....and its REALITY.

That's exactly how I feel. Not that the degree was required but i'm doing plenty of manual labor at my job that generally pisses me off. Felt like I wasted away getting a degree when I could have been doing this at 16 years old. I dont even know sometimes. Knowing that everyone else makes significantly more then I do is def a detterance to doing well. I swear tasks that used to take me an hour when I first started takes all day. Dont get me started when it comes to going to clients and on errands. I milk those for all they give me.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Originally Posted by IT B BERT

lol @ OP thinking having an entrepreneurial  mind state means you can't do a 9-5. Fool, if you're an entrepreneur... you're going to be working a lot more than a 9-5, a lot harder as well. You aren't what you think. Play your position, peasant
roll.gif

Allow me to clarify, genius: Not working for someone else and doing something you hate.
Some of these guys in this thread are so small minded. Either they haven't started real jobs yet or are perfectly content with being drones.  It's clearly not about being lazy and not wanting to work, but they keep seeing it like that.  I don't understand.

exactly....i got laid off...was looking for work....applied to the college loan collection spot my cousin has worked at for a while...

hes a felon.

i got the highest wunderlick score the interviewer had ever seen, he asked me if i wanted copies

they wanted to hire me into the management training program, etc. etc.

i didnt take the job

why?

I COULDA GOT THAT JOB AT 17 YEARS OLD THE DAY I GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL....

only way im gonna bust my %#! for you is if you're making it worth my while...

period.

imma eat and live regardless, imma spend my youth and overall life happy and reletively stress free

i have so many examples from working at the publishing company that could be used as overall themes in corporate america

like when our founder and CEO would take ALL the cash from the door at every unveiling event and go straight to the strip club with it...

yet, when i work 29 hours STRAIGHT driving back and forth from the city where the event was, then doing deliveries the next day on the way home, you want me to STAY HOME the next two days instead of paying me overtime?

LMAO

and im supposed to work hard for you?

LMAOOOOOOOO

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

Originally Posted by IT B BERT

lol @ OP thinking having an entrepreneurial  mind state means you can't do a 9-5. Fool, if you're an entrepreneur... you're going to be working a lot more than a 9-5, a lot harder as well. You aren't what you think. Play your position, peasant
roll.gif

Allow me to clarify, genius: Not working for someone else and doing something you hate.
Some of these guys in this thread are so small minded. Either they haven't started real jobs yet or are perfectly content with being drones.  It's clearly not about being lazy and not wanting to work, but they keep seeing it like that.  I don't understand.
This. I'm pretty sure MOST people with entrepreneurial aspirations understand it will require even more of their time.
But the people that don't think on this level will automatically write them off as "lazy" and wanting the easy way out.

Ri'chea...I'm definitely over the 9-5 thing.

I figured out a long time ago that I don't deal well with people telling me what to do, even less so with something I didn't give a $%%+ about. Since that's pretty much the entire experience of working for someone at a normal job, I couldn't make that my career. Now I'm trying to turn pro writing (and promoting what I write, like I do in my sig). I'm planning on escaping the alarm clock sometime this year and focusing on writing books, screenplays, etc. full-time.

Honestly, doing this the most challenging job I've ever had even on the side, and will be once I start it full-time...but I like doing it and I'd be my own supervisor, so I can report every day with a smile on my face...something I could never say at any other job. I know it's gonna take work, talent, and time, but I figure enough of the 1st two will decrease the amount of the 3rd I need. $%%+ "jobs".

is it really worth it in the long run tho?

dont yall make just under the average yearly wage anyway?

yes, its tax free, whatever hours you feel like and readily available...

but it never seemed worth the risk to me....

YO, AJ, send me a message on facebook or something yo

this enphan 

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

This. I'm pretty sure MOST people with entrepreneurial aspirations understand it will require even more of their time.
But the people that don't think on this level will automatically write them off as "lazy" and wanting the easy way out.

Based on some of the responses in here, I disagree.  I think people dont fully understand how difficult it is to run your own business.

BigLescobar mentioned it on the last page.  I'm sure dude was making a ton of money like we all want to do, but to do so, he sacrificed every hour of every day of his life.  Sometimes, that is what it takes to succeed, and a lot of people just arent cut out for that.

It seems like a lot of people got this notion that business is a simple process of

1.  Have great idea
2.  Start business
3. ??????
4. PROFIT!!!

The problem is, they dont realize that the ????? is to work your %** of day and night, pour your blood sweat and tears into it, AND maybe need to catch a lucky break before it all comes together and you start making real money.

@CurbYourEnthusiasm - brother i feel for you man.  your old situation sounds like a real raw deal, and unfortuantely a lot of gigs in big business are just like that.  I thank my lucky stars that I work for a small business with a very honest, hardworking, and intelligent boss that gets it.  My last job was similar to your situation.  Whether I put in 10% effort or 110% effort it made no difference.  My current job is so much better.  While I am a salary man myself (no set bonus structure), I do feel that for the most part, I get what I put into my job.  Even though I do work in finance/lending, thankfully I dont work for a company that follows that old school rigid structure of 100 work weeks or some BS like that.  From day 1 my boss has always told me, if you dont have anything to do, GO HOME, enjoy the rest of the day.  He's not paying me to sit at my desk staring at the computer for no damn reason.  He's paying me for productivity.  Whether that takes me 2 hrs or 10 hrs, I'm still gonna get paid what I get paid, as long as I do what I'm supposed to be doing.

I realized the other day that they made me salary so I cant make OT. gettign the same crappy rate after I stay late. Feels batman

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

I realized the other day that they made me salary so I cant make OT. gettign the same crappy rate after I stay late. Feels batman

yeah the bottom line is if you're going to force me to become a cog in the machine at least keep me well oiled (happy)

they would have me so incredibly +%$$%@ up to think putting me on salary gives them unlimited access

my moms wanted salary for like 4 years at her last gig

one of her superiors got fired/resigned....and they took 8 months to fill the position

of course she was doing the responsibilities of the job, working like 40 hours overtime and %$%@

the day before her pay period ends with like 80 overtime hours or some ridiculous %$%@

they put her on salary and make up a lesser job title to give her

THIS WAS AT A NONPROFIT HOMELESSNESS FAMILY SHELTER B

people are trynna do entirely too much out here

which is why im happy getting paid absolutely nothing

with every holiday off

and instead of kissing %%% for acceptance

i beat kids hugging me off with a stick LOL

From day 1 my boss has always told me, if you dont have anything to do, GO HOME, enjoy the rest of the day.  He's not paying me to sit at my desk staring at the computer for no damn reason.  He's paying me for productivity.  Whether that takes me 2 hrs or 10 hrs, I'm still gonna get paid what I get paid, as long as I do what I'm supposed to be doing.
  and this is the type of boss who has employees that would literally die for him.

he doesnt even need to ask people to do %$%@, its already done.....for him....out of appreciation...

pimp.gif

Its not i been doing the 9-5 things for 4 1/2 years but i have no choice what else am i suppose to do? lol i have no talents

Terrible way to look at it. Start of by writing a list of 10 things that you are good at. Then go from there. Everybody has talent.

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

One thing I realized was that being an entrepreneur doesn't necessarily mean not working for anybody. If you have a start-up you are basically working for your clients. In a sense, you are working for them.
And you are right with the fact that it requires more time, you are basically going to be married to your job. But just the thought of me being able to reply to my emails at my cottage instead of a cubicle is
pimp.gif

And if anybody is thinking about it, honestly the best time would be RIGHT NOW, especially for the younger people here. I am graduating this semester and  I already have my business up (Not a shameless plug, I swear) http://www.gnowit.com/main/index.php . The reason I decided to do it right now is because my risk tolerance and this stage is as high as can be. I have no mortgage, no debt, and I am not married. Basically if sh*t hits the fan and it fails, I just do it again, or maybe settle for a job (which I hope to never do again).

I was fortunate enough to find a genius partner and we have been working to develop our product for about a year and a half now. We will be launching in March. It is a very exciting feeling I can tell you that! 

Originally Posted by DMoney82

I quit working in 2005. Don't know what an application looks like.

I'm not with it.

Winners make the rules, Losers live by em........

Cosign my older brother lol. Im a personal trainer work when I want

Originally Posted by CurbYourEnthusiasm

From day 1 my boss has always told me, if you dont have anything to do, GO HOME, enjoy the rest of the day.  He's not paying me to sit at my desk staring at the computer for no damn reason.  He's paying me for productivity.  Whether that takes me 2 hrs or 10 hrs, I'm still gonna get paid what I get paid, as long as I do what I'm supposed to be doing.
  and this is the type of boss who has employees that would literally die for him.

he doesnt even need to ask people to do %$%@, its already done.....for him....out of appreciation...

pimp.gif

Exactly. That's how !!+% should be run
pimp.gif

A 9-5 isn't too bad. Especially since you most likely get weekends and holidays off. Plus you get vacation days and all that jazz.

I mean, if you're at the bottom of the chopping block at work then that's no one's fault but your own and no matter where you go, you're not going to feel appreciated or important. So it'll feel like you're there from 9-5 helping out "the man"

Go to school, get a good job, and good pay.

The accountant at my job makes MONEY. Goes to FL a few times a year, sometimes even just for the weekend, mad cruises. You can still play hard when you have a 9-5 but you gotta work hard also.

Back
Top Bottom