Anyone else feel like 9-5 life isn't for them?

Originally Posted by AllEyezOnMeNYC

A lot of people who are in these situations fail to do a self-assessment in their lives and just go according to what they have always known/have been told by society/family/peers/media. I was one of the "cogs in the system" (even though I was constantly aware of myself but thought I can rise up in the corporate ladder), working from about 7am-6pm in the top financial institution of Wall St for 5 years until I was let go.

The free time was a great opportunity to dig deep and self-educate myself while focusing also on being in the best shape of my life. Stopped drinking/smoking completely and living the cookie cutter/end of the week partying lifestyle. (Thinking, "What is everyone popping bottles for?") I isolated myself from all the noise (soul searching) and just finally got down to my own priorities and what made me happy. Reading and working out was a way to keep the mind focused. Now 29, I feel like it was a new lease of life and pursuing a career where purpose/passion/money/meaning meet while also finding the need to help others along the way. Total change and a great feeling of empowerment and personal growth.

My advice to those who are not happy with their current situation (since I know there are types of people who are completely fine with their 9-5 and that's cool for them. They are needed for the system to operate smoothly.): take some personality tests like Myers Briggs Type Indicator and set some time aside in the day to just analyze your thoughts and priorities. DO HOMEWORK on yourself. The answer is actually all within you and your personal values. Not what or how you will be perceived by others. Build that self-confidence and belief in yourself so you can add value to society in a profound way. Everything else is secondary.

It's time to start clearly Envisioning, taking Accountability for your own actions, and being more Aware. You create your own reality and path. The world will start looking differently and reacting differently. That's my take and a peek into my mindset. Hope that helps at least some of you.

Kilroy out
glasses.gif
Great Post. Def at the soul searching stage of my life.

I've been at my job for 4 and a half years now.  Typical desk job, but in 09 I decided I want to pursue a career in broadcasting.  Took a 10 month course in that and completed it.  Once my job found out about this they begin to give me more responsibilities in regards to media/broadcasting.  As of next month, I will be moving down to the media department.  Media/broadcasting is my passion and I'm determined to make it work for me.  Does it mean I'm going to stay here at my current job for the rest of my life, not at all, but it is opening doors for me future career endeavors. As stated before, something is definitely better than nothing in this economy.  Blessings to everyone striving to do whatever their passion is.

Some people just hate their current job or their current field of work... understood.  Time to start looking for a new job or a new line of work.  I know this is much easier said than done but there really is little alternative if you hate your current job or field that much.

Some people hate the thought or the experience of a 9-5 because they feel (or are) separated from their labor in a Marxist sense... understood.  Time to start thinking about ways to go into business for yourself or making money outside of the "mainstream" if you have the work ethic, determination, and skills to do so.  If you don't have any such skills, decide what you want to do and acquire the necessary skills.  If you don't have the work ethic and determination, then come to terms with selling your labor for the rest of your life.

Some people hate the thought or the experience of a 9-5 because it's "too much work" that they don't feel is financially beneficial enough for them.  This is the group that I find hilarious and slightly despicable.  Good luck at being "successful" outside of a 9-5 when you don't even have the fortitude to do the minimum amount of work that's considered full-time in this country.

a majority of full time work hours are wasted tho

productivity in this country is laughable.

who sits at a computer for 8 hours a day and does 8 straight hours of work?

obviously none of you guys.....seeing how youre posting on NT right now.

cut the hours, increase hourly wage and watch people come to work, do all their work then more work the entire time theyre at work, then go home happy and able to buy food for their families

OR

continue this joke we got running now...where a manager can sit in an office all day with his feet up "managing" people who make 1/4th of what he makes while they actually do the work that the company profits off of.....

I feel sorta the same way. I dont mind the 9-5 grind and prob would be bored if I didnt do it.

It's just that this job is sucking the soul out of me. 9-5:30 doing menial work that any 16 year old could do eventhough I got my dual degree. Only satying because the job market sucks and I got my own place now so I have to sustain it. man I dont know sometimes. it's rough out there. Applied to two jobs tha tI would consider my dream jobs and hpoping I can get one and get out this place.

Originally Posted by red mpls

Some people just hate their current job or their current field of work... understood.  Time to start looking for a new job or a new line of work.  I know this is much easier said than done but there really is little alternative if you hate your current job or field that much.

Some people hate the thought or the experience of a 9-5 because they feel (or are) separated from their labor in a Marxist sense... understood.  Time to start thinking about ways to go into business for yourself or making money outside of the "mainstream" if you have the work ethic, determination, and skills to do so.  If you don't have any such skills, decide what you want to do and acquire the necessary skills.  If you don't have the work ethic and determination, then come to terms with selling your labor for the rest of your life.

Some people hate the thought or the experience of a 9-5 because it's "too much work" that they don't feel is financially beneficial enough for them.  This is the group that I find hilarious and slightly despicable.  Good luck at being "successful" outside of a 9-5 when you don't even have the fortitude to do the minimum amount of work that's considered full-time in this country.

great post.  especially the last part.

for those of you who dont want to work for "the man" and want to be an entrepeneur or other business owner, i hope you realize that in terms of input, a 9-5 is pretty much base MINIMUM.  While there may be some entrepeneurial ventures where you can work hard for a few years, then sit back and just watch the money roll in with little to no effort, the vast majority are not like that.

My father was an anti 9-5er through and through.  I have NEVER seen the man work for another company or person.  He always had his own business or practice.  I bet some days he dreamed of being able to clock out at 5pm and just chill out, but no.  Somedays it was 12-15 hr days.  Weekends too.  When its YOUR business, no one cares about it remotely as close as you do.  If you think that you can hire some manager to oversee the business while you just kick back and collect the profits, you are in for a rude awakening.  

Originally Posted by DMoney82

I quit working in 2005. Don't know what an application looks like.

I'm not with it.

Winners make the rules, Losers live by em........
easily one of the most ignorant things ive ever read on here.  winners use the rules to the best of their advantage so that maybe one day they can be the ones making the rules.  being too lazy and proud to conform does not make u a winner.

Originally Posted by abutta13

I'm not with it.

easily one of the most ignorant things ive ever read on here.  winners use the rules to the best of their advantage so that maybe one day they can be the ones making the rules.  being too lazy and proud to conform does not make u a winner.

Yeah i'm sure he sat around for 7 years doing nothing and decided claim himself as a winner.

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

I'm not with it.

Yeah i'm sure he sat around for 7 years doing nothing and decided claim himself as a winner.

well he didn't post what he does though

Originally Posted by CurbYourEnthusiasm

cut the hours, increase hourly wage and watch people come to work, do all their work then more work the entire time theyre at work, then go home happy and able to buy food for their families

OR

continue this joke we got running now...where a manager can sit in an office all day with his feet up "managing" people who make 1/4th of what he makes while they actually do the work that the company profits off of.....

What's your point?  That the system could really use an overhaul?  I agree.

But that's not the root of the issue here.  Many of the people in this thread just don't want to work hard.  Working eight hours a day is not hard.  I've worked 12-hour days 6 days a week before (physical labor), and I would also work seven days about every third week.  A lot of dudes in here come off as soft and lazy.

Originally Posted by IT B BERT

lol @ OP thinking having an entrepreneurial  mind state means you can't do a 9-5. Fool, if you're an entrepreneur... you're going to be working a lot more than a 9-5, a lot harder as well. You aren't what you think. Play your position, peasant
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Wow

Before I recently sold my group of businesses, I was working 6 days a week and on 24 hour call, and when I was home I was still logging in from home and checking on things or on the phone or whatever.... Also I could basically take no vacations a year

The stress of owning a business is very intense and can easily take over your life

When you own your own businesses they become your life and you wish you could have a 9 to 5 lol

Id am starting a whole new business in a whole new field that I have a passion about, that will have much different time requirements but I will now have to travel around the world, but I wont need to micromanage things like my previous stuff so I am looking forward to it...

Remember if you are going to start a business, you get out what you put into it. If you are going to be lazy then you will be out of business in no time.

Originally Posted by Antidope

lol @ OP thinking having an entrepreneurial  mind state means you can't do a 9-5. Fool, if you're an entrepreneur... you're going to be working a lot more than a 9-5, a lot harder as well. You aren't what you think. Play your position, peasant
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Wow

eek.gif
how i miss that
laugh.gif
roll.gif
straight clownin'

Originally Posted by 10508 Cardo Jr Ln

Thread/.
But! With a degree in Business Managment, I think I may have to work a 9-5 for at least a couple of years before I make the rules.

OR

thank you. I get a day's worth of work done in 4-5 hrs. Why do i gotta stay the whole 8 as if I got a prison sentence? Jobs should base it on work volume instead of hrs. This way there would be incentive to get actual work done rather than an incentive to kill time. 

roll.gif

Allow me to clarify, genius: Not working for someone else and doing something you hate.

^^^^Man, if that was the case, I would get paid like 2 hours at most per day.

I can't wait to get a new job.

I'm not with it.

This is easily one of the most ignorant things Ive ever read on here.

Its not i been doing the 9-5 things for 4 1/2 years but i have no choice what else am i suppose to do? lol i have no talents

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

okay, 2 hours

what if you were making like 40 an hour then?

instead of 8 an hour for 10 hours?

when there is only 2 hours of work being done either way

?????????????

that would make the mitt romney "i make 56k a day" type dudes a little insecure tho...

roll.gif

i used to work in publishing in an editorial department....

since i was being paid severely less than ex-stripper secretaries with no formal education

i felt i needed to make my own wages more....competitive...

so i did work less than half the time i was there....anytime i was asked to do physical labor that wasnt in my EDITORIAL job description, i didnt do any work the rest of the day (they also required business casual...which was much more formal...i was lifting 90 50lbs boxes of books in the summer, fight me.)

call it whatever you want, we had 5 ex-strippers making twice what every degreed editor made.

yes, i was on niketalk heavy...i worked about 3 of the 8 hours i was there.....

dont feel bad nor guilty

they were too cheap to pay us even enough to pay our LOANS back from the DEGREE they required....

they were also too cheap to put some sort of measure in place to ensure we werent on AIM chat making fun of them while they stood there talking...

this isnt the same generation, we not finna slave away at one company for 45 years just to get a pat on the back and a headache trynna collect retirement....

we average like 25 different employers....LMAO

they need to reform the system instead of calling us "lazy"...or theyll continue getting 10% and 20% productivity (made up numbers, fight me)

im too smart to slave away for 12 dollars an hour when you require me to have a 4 year degree...period.

youre not even paying me more than my loan per year, b

what incentive do i have to NOT do the bare minimum for you?

im sure my rhetoric will anger plenty of you

but thats about as candid as it gets....and its REALITY.

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

Originally Posted by richiecotite

I'm leaving my job in March. Been working there almost 3 1/2 yrs; my first "real" job.

I feel like I've atrophied so much. Not just physically, but mentally. I feel like i've gotten so much dumber than I was when i was 23/24 (Im 28 btw); it sucks because once upon a time I used to pride myself on staying up on current events and politics.

Decided to leave a few months ago when i literally would have dreams/nightmares about work, was getting 3-4 hours of sleep a night, and was generally a miserable person. It caused tension with my wife because i was letting life affect my life. One night after a fight it kind of came out and i told her how miserable i was at work. We talked about it, she assured me she would support whatever i chose to do, and how i really was wasting myself @ my job. I decided i would stay at home with my daughter for a yr to get her ready for kindergarten.

I really want to spend good, quality time with her teaching her basic things, work on her spanish, get her in good habits, go out and do certain things that right now, aren't possible (camping, going out for hikes, gardening, etc) because Monday-Friday, we spend about 10 waking hours together. Weekends are spent trying to recover and get ready for the upcoming week.

I'm fortunate enough to have this as an option, my wife is an attorney working that @firmlife. Which sucks because it's an hour commute each way for us with traffic (we both work in DC, live in the outer VA burbs) so when she has to work until 7 or 730, she's not getting home until 830 or so, and we put my daughter to bed around 9-930. So it's always a trade-off, trying t figure whats more important, more money/career success or family time. Fortunately, her firm is actually pretty good about work/life balance, so some days she can work from home and at least be around.
Your life is my life, bro.  
ohwell.gif

My daughter will be 9 months in a few weeks and I literally see her for about 2 waking hours Mon-Fri.  She goes to bed around 6pm and I get home at 5:50ish.  I see her in the morning too, but of course I'm busy getting ready.  So the only time I see her for real is on Sat and Sun.  I'm grateful for those days, but I just have a hard time digesting that I'm missing out on the majority of her young months wasting away at a job that I despise.  And if I stay there, my schedule obviously isn't going to change any which means missing out on more of her life.  Even worse is that my wife works the weekend shift, so when I'm at home w/ our daughter, she's gone.  Same goes for during my work week obviously.    

I would imagine that a lot of people live like this and are cool with it, but for me I just can't see it.  I know $$ is a necessity, but at what cost?  As time goes on I'm seeing that the cons far outweigh the pros of my current job.  The wife and I have discussed me quitting and her working some extra shifts at work while I watch out daughter, but my pride won't let me put that on her.  She's even gone so far as to ask me to quit a few times b/c the job is clearly affecting our home life.  But I guess I'm just scared to take that plunge of not having a steady check coming in.  I'm stuck in the Matrix and need to get out ASAP.  
Sorry to hear that. 
Props to having a wife that would be willing to support that.

Realistically, in my situation, it makes sense. My wife earns almost 4 times what i do, and for what we pay in daycare, commuting costs, lunch expenses, eating out from both of being exhausted and not cooking, having to hire a bimonthly maid service to clean because we don't have time, etc, i estimate we'll be losing roughly $500 per month by me not being employed.  

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

okay, 2 hours

what if you were making like 40 an hour then?

instead of 8 an hour for 10 hours?

when there is only 2 hours of work being done either way

?????????????

that would make the mitt romney "i make 56k a day" type dudes a little insecure tho...

roll.gif

i used to work in publishing in an editorial department....

since i was being paid severely less than ex-stripper secretaries with no formal education

i felt i needed to make my own wages more....competitive...

so i did work less than half the time i was there....anytime i was asked to do physical labor that wasnt in my EDITORIAL job description, i didnt do any work the rest of the day (they also required business casual...which was much more formal...i was lifting 90 50lbs boxes of books in the summer, fight me.)

call it whatever you want, we had 5 ex-strippers making twice what every degreed editor made.

yes, i was on niketalk heavy...i worked about 3 of the 8 hours i was there.....

dont feel bad nor guilty

they were too cheap to pay us even enough to pay our LOANS back from the DEGREE they required....

they were also too cheap to put some sort of measure in place to ensure we werent on AIM chat making fun of them while they stood there talking...

this isnt the same generation, we not finna slave away at one company for 45 years just to get a pat on the back and a headache trynna collect retirement....

we average like 25 different employers....LMAO

they need to reform the system instead of calling us "lazy"...or theyll continue getting 10% and 20% productivity (made up numbers, fight me)

im too smart to slave away for 12 dollars an hour when you require me to have a 4 year degree...period.

youre not even paying me more than my loan per year, b

what incentive do i have to NOT do the bare minimum for you?

im sure my rhetoric will anger plenty of you

but thats about as candid as it gets....and its REALITY.

Thats a horrible attitude.
But that's real spit right there 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom