Anyone else on NT adopted? Have you tried finding your birth parents?

There's always been that void in my life. I've never really pinpointed exactly what it was, but now I know. I need to know who my birth parents are and why they chose to give me up for adoption.

I know NT isn't a haven for touchy subjects and I definitely don't want anyone's sympathy, but I would like to know if there are others out there who have been adopted into a loving family but just feel alone and left out. This feeling comes solely from the fact and realization that you are indeed an outsider, giving up by parents who weren't in the right situation or mind frame to take care of you.

It's even to the point where I've become clingy in my love life. I don't want to be that guy who think he needs to be loved by somebody because his first true love didn't love him and gave him up (maybe this indeed a true act of love - it just doesn't feel like it).

I have started my search, albeit prematurely. My adopted parents do not know that I am undertaking such an emotional, tumultuous task, but I must know. Being that I was adopted in the District of Columbia I have to go through a few hoops to finally find out the answer I've been longing for all my life. The thing is, all adoption records are sealed in the District and I have to first petition the superior court break that seal. My fate is in the judge's hands.

I know this would be exceedingly easier if I chose to ask my adopted parents about my birth parents, but I really don't want to. I already feel far away from them as it is and I don't want to cause anymore dissension.

Is there anyone out there who's going through the same thing? Please share.

There's always been that void in my life. I've never really pinpointed exactly what it was, but now I know. I need to know who my birth parents are and why they chose to give me up for adoption.

I know NT isn't a haven for touchy subjects and I definitely don't want anyone's sympathy, but I would like to know if there are others out there who have been adopted into a loving family but just feel alone and left out. This feeling comes solely from the fact and realization that you are indeed an outsider, giving up by parents who weren't in the right situation or mind frame to take care of you.

It's even to the point where I've become clingy in my love life. I don't want to be that guy who think he needs to be loved by somebody because his first true love didn't love him and gave him up (maybe this indeed a true act of love - it just doesn't feel like it).

I have started my search, albeit prematurely. My adopted parents do not know that I am undertaking such an emotional, tumultuous task, but I must know. Being that I was adopted in the District of Columbia I have to go through a few hoops to finally find out the answer I've been longing for all my life. The thing is, all adoption records are sealed in the District and I have to first petition the superior court break that seal. My fate is in the judge's hands.

I know this would be exceedingly easier if I chose to ask my adopted parents about my birth parents, but I really don't want to. I already feel far away from them as it is and I don't want to cause anymore dissension.

Is there anyone out there who's going through the same thing? Please share.

they probably knew that they couldnt afford to raise you you and wanted you to have a better life

they probably knew that they couldnt afford to raise you you and wanted you to have a better life

Adopted but I never tried to look for my parents.

I found some old court documents that had my parents' names on it a while back but I never looked into it.

People always asked me: have I looked? would I look?

But from what I've heard I was lucky b/c my birth father's family was a bunch of druggies and alcoholics anyways.

And I prolly don't look b/c I pretty much know why I was given up for adoption.

I understand the whole "outsider" thing though. You're family but sometimes it just still seems "weird" for lack of a better word.

Good luck w/ your search though.

Adopted but I never tried to look for my parents.

I found some old court documents that had my parents' names on it a while back but I never looked into it.

People always asked me: have I looked? would I look?

But from what I've heard I was lucky b/c my birth father's family was a bunch of druggies and alcoholics anyways.

And I prolly don't look b/c I pretty much know why I was given up for adoption.

I understand the whole "outsider" thing though. You're family but sometimes it just still seems "weird" for lack of a better word.

Good luck w/ your search though.

You should really try looking for support groups online. I don't know that NT would be able to provide the kind of experiences you're looking for. I have a cousin who is adopted. I didn't even know he was adopted until I was older. He resembles our family a lot so finding out was an
eek.gif
kind of moment. I don't know that he had any of the same struggles you had as he was an only child. I believe he has at least wanted to find his birth parents but I don't know that he's ever actually started the search.

Good Luck to you either way. Hopefully you find what you're looking for.

You should really try looking for support groups online. I don't know that NT would be able to provide the kind of experiences you're looking for. I have a cousin who is adopted. I didn't even know he was adopted until I was older. He resembles our family a lot so finding out was an
eek.gif
kind of moment. I don't know that he had any of the same struggles you had as he was an only child. I believe he has at least wanted to find his birth parents but I don't know that he's ever actually started the search.

Good Luck to you either way. Hopefully you find what you're looking for.

Originally Posted by eye see soles

This makes sense in a weird way

Originally Posted by eye see soles

This makes sense in a weird way

I wasn't adopted, but I did go through something similar. I didn't know who my father was until I was 27 years old.

I know exactly what you mean about the void you were feeling. I encourage you to do whatever it takes to find them, because it will help you achieve piece of mind.

Good luck

Thanks for sharing your story, young dr0.

It means a lot.

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone. I am determined to find them.

Thanks for sharing your story, young dr0.

It means a lot.

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone. I am determined to find them.

I wasn't adopted, but I did go through something similar. I didn't know who my father was until I was 27 years old.

I know exactly what you mean about the void you were feeling. I encourage you to do whatever it takes to find them, because it will help you achieve piece of mind.

Good luck

Originally Posted by moneymike88

have you looked into a private investigation agency?
I have not. From my understanding they cost a lot of money.

The petition to break the adoption seal has a fee of $80. I'll just trust the courts on this one.

Originally Posted by moneymike88

have you looked into a private investigation agency?
I have not. From my understanding they cost a lot of money.

The petition to break the adoption seal has a fee of $80. I'll just trust the courts on this one.

I was adopted by grandmother because it was/is the best situation for me. I don't know my mom and I don't care to. My dad is cool, though
pimp.gif
. Good luck, OP.

I was adopted by grandmother because it was/is the best situation for me. I don't know my mom and I don't care to. My dad is cool, though
pimp.gif
. Good luck, OP.

Dude good luck, I have always had a soft spot for things like this. %!##$@% disney channel movies

Dude good luck, I have always had a soft spot for things like this. %!##$@% disney channel movies

Back
Top Bottom