*Appreciating The Best Fans In Basketball* GREAT READ

laugh.gif
 The commentators working for the blazer organization cause they have their own broadcast is the dumbest excuse/reason that they are a little biased. As far as I know, Walt Frazier is a pretty objective and knowlegable commentator and he works for the MSG network. I'm not sure how MSG Inc. work so correct me if i'm wrong but again like CP said, who cares who they work for?

yeah i hate mike rice and barrett is slowly getting to be like mike rice. gives another reason for people to hate the blazers, but that got nothing to do with basketball.

Oh and one more for you Jon, Wheels?  Your boy you think is so fair and even calling a game. 

Everytime the Blazers go on a run on a team, and the opposing coach calls a timeout, Wheels does his same stupid @#$ word play he thinks is cool.  For instance, "The Blazers have run off 10 in a row and Jerry Sloan wants timeout....he's mesmerized, mortified, and mystified!!!" 

Then, when another team goes on a run on the Blazers, it's like this.  [quiet voice] and Nate wants timeout [quiet voice]

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  He does this EVERY SINGLE TIME there's a run like that.  He goes into thesaurus mode tryin to make it look like the coach can't breathe or something about a run in the second quarter.  But yeah, since he works for the Blazers, it's ok then. 
roll.gif

Oh and, I guess I don't listen or have ever heard that before, I'm just guessing apparently. 
wink.gif

Simmons tweets recently:

"Portlandhas the best crowd in the league, it should be fun to watch their homegames. Get this city a real announcing crew. Seriously."

Note to the Blazers announcers: You guys are embarrassing homers. At least Tommy Heinsohn has the excuse of being old.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by JONFARR

Originally Posted by HANNSUM

ignoring the failures
They must be the best fans, cuz there's a lot to ignore on this subject. 
wink.gif

This article is a joke.  
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
I live here
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
 and it's a bunch of clueless tree huggers that think Drexler will carry them to the promised land still.  
They started counting championships years ago and I'm still waiting for them to even make it to the finals. 

They think their great, cuz they just don't get outside much.  Even one of their biggest homer fans who had his own radio show bounced to go work in Dallas and actually see real sports. 

They have homer announcers talking to homer fans.  Homer writers writing columns for homer fans to eat up.  They don't know a thing about basketball outside of the city so they just wander around aimlessly thinking they matter to the rest of the country.  Last year this place was packed with playoff basketball stuff, 2 weeks later after they took it all down, then pretend like nothing ever happened. 
eyes.gif
  They'll do that same gimmick @#$%^&*@ this week too, only to be gone by end of the month. 

They're a joke plain and simple. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 wait a minute, so this guy is from Portland? LOLOL 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 who would've thought...so this guy doesn't know 1 thing about Los Angeles or the area. LMAO maybe he can't afford to live in LA. just watching laker games IN portland will do hahah my goodness
This cp dude should be the worst fan of all-time. again, what would Alba say to you? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I'm from California smart guy.  I'm not "from" Portland, I live NEAR portland now.  As an adult.  As in, I moved here with my family years ago.  And I didn't suddenly switch teams like most would.   So if that makes me the worst fan of all time, good, cuz I care. 
laugh.gif

Jon, I don't mean homer in a good way, or a root for their team way, I mean it in they don't know @#$% way.  Like when they hyped Brian Grant as a guy that could contain Shaq, and then the second he went to Miami, all of a sudden same announcers were calling him a bum. 
smh.gif
  Or how they never said a kind word in a million years about Camby, and now all of a sudden they think he's the greatest.  That's beyond homer, that's dumb.  That's what I mean by outside.  Not out on the ski slopes damn it, I'm talkin in regards to basketball.  Come on man. 

Laker fans, announcers, etc know about players from other teams/areas/cities well beyond anything this city offers.  Mike Rice and his loser cohorts couldn't work for any other team in the league, they don't know a damn thing. 

All I have been telling you is that you hear what you want to hear. All of what you said is completely untrue, but you have a bias and go into watching the games with that bias. Then you get on here and act like you are the end all say all when it comes to a team you don't follow and you use extreme examples to prove your point. Blazers announcers are the only ones in the NBA that I know of that are EMPLOYEES of the team and not paid by an outside broadcasting company. The Blazers own their own broadcasting company. Of course they are gonna be slightly more bias, but not in the extreme way you are talking. Do you even listen to Wheels and Tone ever on the radio? Never bring them up do you?

MB and Mike Rice know quite a lot my friend and I challenge you to listen to them when they host radio shows and talk about the NBA. It might blow your Laker loving mind, so be careful.

speaking of portland strip clubs, does anyone remember the name of the mac dre song where he raps about some of them?

All i remember is; a stripper from portland, a cute soft one, type that works at the dolphin on mcloughlin.

Its "Jump It" by Mac Dre.

Mike Rice never said Brian Grant couldn't hit a 10 foot shot when he was on Miami?  He never said that?  You sure?  Cuz I am. 

Wheels didn't call Ron Harper a jerk ON THE AIR?  He didn't do that?

Rice wasn't THROWN OUT OF A GAME for crying to refs?  That didn't happen?

Mike Rice didn't compare Darius Miles to Dr J?  You sure that didn't happen?  Positive? 

Rice didn't say that Roy could stop Kobe on offense during Roy's first or second year, you sure he never said that?  You sure? 

Why don't you ask some of the NT regulars that have listened to these guys thru League Pass????  Pretty sure they will bring up several funny stories, ones you don't want to hear. 
wink.gif

But yeah, I don't listen to them.  I just made all this stuff up, right? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  Word for word. 
laugh.gif

It's funny you say I only hear what I wanna hear, while you back these clowns.  Who gives a @#$% who they work for?  Be knowledgeable.  Be respectful.  Don't sit there and make fun of the players, or the coaches, or who they are dating or married too.  All of which, these guys do.  But yeah, they work for the team, so it's ok.  Sure buddy. 
So basically its all Mike Rice. Again, these are extreme examples but what ever. I don't know how you would try to call Wheels a homer but what ever. No where did I or anyone else in this thread say the broadcasters were great. If fact, you were the one that brought up the broadcasters when this thread is about fans. So I am just gonna leave you alone and let you continue to live in your hell here in Portland.
tongue.gif

Also heck this is Portland's only major pro sports team in that state and yet not a few years ago they came in dead last in season attendance.

eyes.gif
Every day on come on NT it drives me further away. I forget how literally uneducated most of the people are on here and cannot participate in a debate. There will always be threads pages long and you will get random losers entering w/o reading a damn thing or caring about what was written and throw out their two cents like it really matters. "They finished dead last in attendance one year in recent history" x 10...

2005-06 Attendance
27. Magic - 15,561
28. Rockets - 15,514
29. Hawks - 15,071
30. Blazers - 15,049
Interesting list. God forbid fans ask for change and do the only thing they can do to force a change and be successful at it. The team didn't leave because they knew the problem. It wasn't like Seattle or any of the other teams that recently moved. You all go a head and say what you want since you all know and stats say EVERYTHING about an entire story.

I'm sure CP was living here during this, I would love for him to come out and say how wrong I am about it and how all the fans stopped showing up merely because it was a bad team. Businesses downtown didn't post signs up outside saying "No More Jail Blazers: We want a team that can beat the Lakers, not the justice system." Naw, that didn't happen or anything.

^
It is true, fans were FURIOUS with the way the team was run.  Whittsitt, the players, the way they were treated for voicing their opinion with signs and what not, the Newspapers were all cloak and dagger trying to expose the GM's, Nash and Patterson were garbage and liars, it was really really messy around here.  Talk radio was bananas. 

If you're wondering, I loved every single second of it. 
pimp.gif

Jon, take a loot at the bottom of page 4 though for you Wheels isn't a homer comment.  I was just ahead of you on that one. 

^
It is true, fans were FURIOUS with the way the team was run.  Whittsitt, the players, the way they were treated for voicing their opinion with signs and what not, the Newspapers were all cloak and dagger trying to expose the GM's, Nash and Patterson were garbage and liars, it was really really messy around here.  Talk radio was bananas. 

pimp.gif

Jon, take a loot at the bottom of page 4 though for you Wheels isn't a homer comment.  I was just ahead of you on that one. 
I forgot about the whole Oregonian thing. The state newspaper also turned on the Blazers. It was down right ugly out here. And I was still going to games during all of it.

As to the Wheels part, you really think he is a homer? That whole thing where he uses a bunch of big words is just to hype the fans up and I do not see how it is disrespectful at all. If you listen to Wheels radio show you would know damn well he knows about the NBA and what is going on. So does Mike Barret. I am not a big Mike Rice fan at all, I just find him hilarious and there are a lot of broadcast teams that have a "clown". Thats all he is. Its not like most Blazer fans even gave to listen to them that often. I am at half the games (season tix) and there are a good amount of road games on national tv. I guess they don't bother me as much because I don't have to listen to them. Rice does say some pretty stupid %%%% sometimes, you know I have agreed on that in the past.

But you know damn well that the fan base out here is QUITE passionate. I don't think fans in any other NBA city would react the same as the Blazer fans acted during the Jail Blazer days, and yeah, that is probably mostly the fact that they are the only show in town but who cares. What professional team out there wouldn't want fans like Blazer fans?

Originally Posted by wttm

laugh.gif
 The commentators working for the blazer organization cause they have their own broadcast is the dumbest excuse/reason that they are a little biased. As far as I know, Walt Frazier is a pretty objective and knowlegable commentator and he works for the MSG network. I'm not sure how MSG Inc. work so correct me if i'm wrong but again like CP said, who cares who they work for?

I wasn't going to touch the stupid level of this post but screw that.

If you are employed by a company then you do what the company asks of you. The Blazers have had a history of hiring announcers that are going to promote their image. That is part of the reason why Steve "snapper" Jones left the broadcast team because he was too "critical" of the organization. The Blazers have hired the guys they did to go on air and support their product. They don't want them to go on there a suck off other teams or talk garbage about the Blazers. I don't necessarily agree with that approach but thats how it is around here. So YOU get out of here with your DUMB post. Use your head and think before you post.

I miss the Snapper, he is my favorite Blazer announcer.

Besides the commentators and the slump during the Jailblazer era...what makes yall say Portland fans aren't passionate, good, or among the top 3 in the NBA in loyal fans?

Are most of them ignorant, dont know jack about the sport, and sheeps?
Yes...but why does that matter, these people still show up to games in droves to support the team.

Im not saying we ARE THE BEST...but you guys can't obviously say we/they are not one of the best.
With every city comes Homer fans...don't act like LA/CLE/BOS/ORL dont have homer fans.

Originally Posted by JONFARR

Originally Posted by wttm

laugh.gif

I wasn't going to touch the stupid level of this post but screw that.

If you are employed by a company then you do what the company asks of you. The Blazers have had a history of hiring announcers that are going to promote their image. That is part of the reason why Steve "snapper" Jones left the broadcast team because he was too "critical" of the organization. The Blazers have hired the guys they did to go on air and support their product. They don't want them to go on there a suck off other teams or talk garbage about the Blazers. I don't necessarily agree with that approach but thats how it is around here. So YOU get out of here with your DUMB post. Use your head and think before you post.

yeah thats how the approach is so what CP said it as legitimate as it gets cause thats how they act, and its not about sucking off or talk garbage its about being objective. to you it seems like announcers can only act 2 very extreme ways. i understand there ought to be a little homerism in announcing but please be a little more objective in calling the games. 

Why is it that the LA and NY fans don't agree with the article, or won't realize Portland fans?...
Yet both cities probably have more homer fans than actual Trailblazer fans in the city of Portland.

You compare selling out games from LA/NY to some small city in the Pacific Northwest and that is the best you can say why we aren't as passionate fans as you guys are?
Pleaase...with Hollywood and Wall Street guys going to games yall are better riight?

Give me a reason other than, our announcers suck, and that we had the worst attendance 3-4 yrs ago.

^

pimp.gif

lol i dont know how you know so many damn quotes from the blazer announcers that came from games they didnt play the lakers. why do you even waste your time watching the blazers if you dont like them? 
laugh.gif
 (expecting like, "my co-workers turns the game on in front of me so I have to watch"). I know people like you though, they just examine something they hate and try to take advantage of every opportunity to expose something negative. You know what I mean too.
i dont think brian wheeler is a homer. at worst hes like any other radio guy. 

i do admit mike barrett and rice especially are bad

^ CP's just a closet Blazer fan, that's why he knows all this stuff. Reminds me of Ricky's dad from American Beauty.

ignoring the failures
They must be the best fans, cuz there's a lot to ignore on this subject. 
wink.gif

This article is a joke.  
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
I live here
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
 and it's a bunch of clueless tree huggers that think Drexler will carry them to the promised land still.  
They started counting championships years ago and I'm still waiting for them to even make it to the finals. 

They think their great, cuz they just don't get outside much.  Even one of their biggest homer fans who had his own radio show bounced to go work in Dallas and actually see real sports. 

They have homer announcers talking to homer fans.  Homer writers writing columns for homer fans to eat up.  They don't know a thing about basketball outside of the city so they just wander around aimlessly thinking they matter to the rest of the country.  Last year this place was packed with playoff basketball stuff, 2 weeks later after they took it all down, then pretend like nothing ever happened. 
eyes.gif
  They'll do that same gimmick @#$%^&*@ this week too, only to be gone by end of the month. 

They're a joke plain and simple. 

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 wait a minute, so this guy is from Portland? LOLOL 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 who would've thought...so this guy doesn't know 1 thing about Los Angeles or the area. LMAO maybe he can't afford to live in LA. just watching laker games IN portland will do hahah my goodness
This cp dude should be the worst fan of all-time. again, what would Alba say to you? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I'm from California smart guy.  I'm not "from" Portland, I live NEAR portland now.  As an adult.  As in, I moved here with my family years ago.  And I didn't suddenly switch teams like most would.   So if that makes me the worst fan of all time, good, cuz I care. 
laugh.gif

Jon, I don't mean homer in a good way, or a root for their team way, I mean it in they don't know @#$% way.  Like when they hyped Brian Grant as a guy that could contain Shaq, and then the second he went to Miami, all of a sudden same announcers were calling him a bum. 
smh.gif
  Or how they never said a kind word in a million years about Camby, and now all of a sudden they think he's the greatest.  That's beyond homer, that's dumb.  That's what I mean by outside.  Not out on the ski slopes damn it, I'm talkin in regards to basketball.  Come on man. 

Laker fans, announcers, etc know about players from other teams/areas/cities well beyond anything this city offers.  Mike Rice and his loser cohorts couldn't work for any other team in the league, they don't know a damn thing. 

laugh.gif

good. only thing that matter.

this country boy needs some reality check. you have fun NEAR IN PORTLAND. lol

LA def doesn't need a person like this cp man. the area is pretty crowded anyways...

you stay where you are milkin cows till the end. man lets just move on. next.

WJuN15 wrote:
CP1708 wrote:
^

pimp.gif

lol i dont know how you know so many damn quotes from the blazer announcers that came from games they didnt play the lakers. why do you even waste your time watching the blazers if you dont like them? 
laugh.gif
 (expecting like, "my co-workers turns the game on in front of me so I have to watch"). I know people like you though, they just examine something they hate and try to take advantage of every opportunity to expose something negative. You know what I mean too.

My wife yells at me for the same @#$%.  
laugh.gif
  But really, if there's no other games on, and the Blazers are playin someone, Spurs, Jazz, Nuggets, someone like that, I wanna watch what's goin on.  I watch as many games of any team as I can.  But these local announcers are by far worse then any others.  That dude in Cleveland is pretty bad, but at least he doesn't disrespect the other team.  Tommy in Boston is just loud and says random stuff cuz he's old.  But the guys here actually try to tell jokes, or pick on players, coaches of other teams.  And I would give ANYTHING to see another team's broadcast do that, and bad mouth the Blazers players/coaches, and see how Wheels and Rice would handle that garbage. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  They would flip out.

I've said it before, I may not like the franchise at all, but I know what I'm talkin about.  I've spent countless hours fighting with co workers, friends, family even, listening to their ridiculous observations that I know for a fact they pick up from the announcers.  The people here on NT don't even bother me as much as actual fans I know personally.  (except Exile, that dude is clueless as they come, and by definition the perfect example of a lame fan that don't know @#$%) 

WJuN15 wrote:
CP1708 wrote:
^

pimp.gif

laugh.gif

My wife yells at me for the same @#$%.  
laugh.gif
  But really, if there's no other games on, and the Blazers are playin someone, Spurs, Jazz, Nuggets, someone like that, I wanna watch what's goin on.  I watch as many games of any team as I can.  But these local announcers are by far worse then any others.  That dude in Cleveland is pretty bad, but at least he doesn't disrespect the other team.  Tommy in Boston is just loud and says random stuff cuz he's old.  But the guys here actually try to tell jokes, or pick on players, coaches of other teams.  And I would give ANYTHING to see another team's broadcast do that, and bad mouth the Blazers players/coaches, and see how Wheels and Rice would handle that garbage. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  They would flip out.

I've said it before, I may not like the franchise at all, but I know what I'm talkin about.  I've spent countless hours fighting with co workers, friends, family even, listening to their ridiculous observations that I know for a fact they pick up from the announcers.  The people here on NT don't even bother me as much as actual fans I know personally.  (except Exile, that dude is clueless as they come, and by definition the perfect example of a lame fan that don't know @#$%) 

eek.gif
 ... wife? I thought u were like 18 or somethin haha.

But the guys here actually try to tell jokes, or pick on players, coaches of other teams.

Yeah I can agree that Rice crosses the line one-too-many times just about every game. The guy needs to learn he's not the coach and he cant yell at refs, or that he's not a fan in the seats who can yell at the other team/players. I mean, I dont mind his dumb little jokes, they're usually so dumb I get a laugh out of how stupid he sounds. But he really needs to learn that he's supposed to act professionally and represent the team with class and poise. Instead he decides to heckle opponents in the fashion that a 17 year old girl would
smh.gif

you stay where you are milkin cows till the end. man lets just move on. next.
They do that down south like in Corvallis and the boonies. Not in the Portland-Metro area. CP seems like the kind of guy who would rather kill himself if he was forced to live near a stockyard NEAR Portland
laugh.gif

--Yes, I will agree that these fans are very loyal.
--And they take the cake in being disillusioned and being homers.

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

I miss the Snapper, he is my favorite Blazer announcer.

Besides the commentators and the slump during the Jailblazer era...what makes yall say Portland fans aren't passionate, good, or among the top 3 in the NBA in loyal fans?

Are most of them ignorant, dont know jack about the sport, and sheeps?
Yes...but why does that matter, these people still show up to games in droves to support the team.

Im not saying we ARE THE BEST...but you guys can't obviously say we/they are not one of the best.
With every city comes Homer fans...don't act like LA/CLE/BOS/ORL dont have homer fans.

Blazers fans may not be the BEST in the L but they are one of the best IMO. With Sonics being gone, I really miss that I-5 rivalry at its finest because both Sonics and Blazers fans were so passionate about their respective team. I think being in Northwest that most of country won't really pay attention to what's going on in Portland or in Seattle but Blazers def have one of the best supporters in the NBA. 
I miss Snapper Jones because I used to love him calling games when he was with NBC 
pimp.gif
. I watch Blazers play from time to time since I get Comcast Sportsnet and they cover the Blazers basketball and even though I know most of NBA regional commentators are homers, I really can't stand these dudes calling games 
indifferent.gif
. It's so sad that both Seattle and Portland had one of best commentator/announcer for their team but not anymore (Snapper with Portland and Calabro with Seattle). 

With that being said, I respect Portland fans. I remember last year when they went to the playoff for the first time in like what 5 years? The city went nuts and did a rally even before the series started 
laugh.gif
. I thought that was kinda cool, corny but still kinda cool. 

everyones favorite...bill simmons
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/part1/100416&sportCat=nba
[h3]Simmons: Rose Garden Crowd Best In NBA[/h3]
In Part One of his year-end recap, ESPN's Bill Simmons gives the "Best Crowd" crown to Portland.

---------------------- 
I think Portland had the best home crowd this season

The perfect blend of creepy intensity, genuine devotion and a massive inferiority complex. I never stumbled across a Blazers game in which their fans weren't totally bringing it. Two great examples from last Monday's Oklahoma City game: first, OKC had such a severe free throw advantage, and Portland fans were so furious about it, that it seemed like we were headed for the first ever triple ref homicide. (I tweeted that the whole situation reminded me of Chris Rock's old joke, "I haven't seen white people that mad since they cancelled 'M.A.S.H.") Only Portland fans and Utah fans can make a casual observer feel like the officials are in actual danger. That's a good thing. In the old days, every crowd did that.

Second example from that night: Because news broke of Brandon Roy's soul-crushing knee injury that same night, there was particular meaning to Marcus Camby's get-on-my-back performance (30 points, 13 rebounds) ... which the Blazers fans recognized by passionately chanting "Mar-Cus Cam-Bee!" when he finally left the game. Just a great moment. Only Knicks fans (if they had a good team and were presented with a similar situation) would have seized it with the same gusto. Made me remember the days when NBA crowds knew what the hell they were doing. Gotta love Rip City.

Best NBA crowd rankings for 2009-10: 1. Portland; 2. Utah; 3. Golden State; 4. New York ... then a big dropoff to the next group of cities. 

Back
Top Bottom