arie spears = ninjahood

yea, cuz that happens...ALL da time
laugh.gif

moral of da story, NY rap set da bar for sharp intellectual lyricism laced with sound bombing beats

as spears noted, ya keep letting it diluted and it'll eventually

shrivel up and die from being abused and deem worthless....i can always listen to spanish music to get da best at what my age group

as to contribute as a genre, black folks in da united states for da most part are gonna be left soul searching.
Because black music is the only thing we culturally have? Your mad racist with your comments b. There is more to black ppl than hip hop. And if should hip hop disappear, we will invent another style of music just as WE ALWAYS HAVE.

Besides Miguel none of these artists are classified as R

:lol: rihanna and justin timberlake are R&B acts with pop and MAJOR hiphop elements to them...go check their wiki pages..
what about chrissete michelle
john legend
r. kelly's last albums were r&b
jill scott
maxwell
theres plenty more they just arent mainstream. i can get and understand what aur saying and why ur saying it. But but rap isnt the only thing MOST of us listen too we STILL love oldies not to mention rock and roll wasnt what it is today. back in the day a majority were black acts. but over time it has changed. i can put on some old school tina turner and enjoy myself or some temptations and be set. and just because we listen mainly to rap doesnt mean we dont have other genres we like. **** when i was like 8 or 9 i liked that achey brakey heart song i cant front. i asked my mom to buy me the cassette

yea, cuz that happens...ALL da time :lol:

moral of da story, NY rap set da bar for sharp intellectual lyricism laced with sound bombing beats

as spears noted, ya keep letting it diluted and it'll eventually

shrivel up and die from being abused and deem worthless....i can always listen to spanish music to get da best at what my age group

as to contribute as a genre, black folks in da united states for da most part are gonna be left soul searching.
Because black music is the only thing we culturally have? Your mad racist with your comments b. There is more to black ppl than hip hop. And if should hip hop disappear, we will invent another style of music just as WE ALWAYS HAVE.
thats what im saying we dominated rock and roll back in the day rap isnt the only thing we have. thats crazy he openly admits to partaking in the culture but damn anyone who tries to lump him in with us. Everybody wanna be a black but dont wanna be black :smh: crazy is i like when he posts he always seems to have a non bias approach but man u trippin with ur comments.

Somethings I've noticed in this back and forth which I think may explain some things is the usage of the word black (sorry I know I'm making this a race thread).

Black is a race (and a social construct but thats not my main point).  Dominican is an ethnicity.  Cuban is an ethnicity.  Puerto Rican is an ethnicity.  Brazilian is an ethnicity.  African American is an ethnicity.  Whereas in the DR, PR, Cuba, and Brazil ethnicity is not defined by race, in the United States it is.  In the countries I listed previously in the mainstream culture of those societies race does not make a significant difference.  In the US, race makes a huge difference and is the main basis for ethnic groupings.  So from an American perspective you all are using black to mean both race and ethnicity.  However from ninjahoods position (vastly influenced by his Dominican heritage and obvious strong connection with his culture) black is a race (which he is mixed with) BUT is not as important as ethnic identity, which is Dominican.  Which is why he did not use the word "black" in his posts but "African American" which is a key difference which I think you guys have missed.

As for his point, I disagree with the idea that because he speaks spanish he has access to more music.  Anyone can listen to any music and enjoy it.  What I do agree with is the fact that due to his Dominican heritage, within that culture there are more already established mainstream genres.  If you listen to La Mega (for the NY heads) you will notice that they play several genres of music: Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, and Reggaeton being the most common.  This means that these genres are all equally prevalent in mainstream Dominican/Hispanic culture (mainstream being the context this discussion is taking place in).

His point is that he has more options than Americans IN THE MAINSTREAM of his culture.  For the sake of this argument we can call Hip hop/rap and Pop two separate genres. Those two genres are the vast majority of American parties (especially African American parties, white parties throw in more EDM and Rock).  In essence he is saying albeit in extreme terms, that there isn't much diversity in the music spectrum.

This Dormtainment video using comedy touches on this point.

All he's saying (and that I'm agreeing with) is that there are fewer genres in the American mainstream than the Latino Mainstream or the Caribbean Mainstream or even the African Mainstream.

Last edited:
Somethings I've noticed in this back and forth which I think may explain some things is the usage of the word black (sorry I know I'm making this a race thread).

Black is a race (and a social construct but thats not my main point).  Dominican is an ethnicity.  Cuban is an ethnicity.  Puerto Rican is an ethnicity.  Brazilian is an ethnicity.  African American is an ethnicity.  Whereas in the DR, PR, Cuba, and Brazil ethnicity is not defined by race, in the United States it is.  In the countries I listed previously in the mainstream culture of those societies race does not make a significant difference.  In the US, race makes a huge difference and is the main basis for ethnic groupings.  So from an American perspective you all are using black to mean both race and ethnicity.  However from ninjahoods position (vastly influenced by his Dominican heritage and obvious strong connection with his culture) black is a race (which he is mixed with) BUT is not as important as ethnic identity, which is Dominican.  Which is why he did not use the word "black" in his posts but "African American" which is a key difference which I think you guys have missed.

As for his point, I disagree with the idea that because he speaks spanish he has access to more music.  Anyone can listen to any music and enjoy it.  What I do agree with is the fact that due to his Dominican heritage, within that culture there are more already established mainstream genres.  If you listen to La Mega (for the NY heads) you will notice that they play several genres of music: Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, and Reggaeton being the most common.  This means that these genres are all equally prevalent in mainstream Dominican/Hispanic culture (mainstream being the context this discussion is taking place in).

His point is that he has more options than Americans IN THE MAINSTREAM of his culture.  For the sake of this argument we can call Hip hop/rap and Pop two separate genres. Those two genres are the vast majority of American parties (especially African American parties, white parties throw in more EDM and Rock).  In essence he is saying albeit in extreme terms, that there isn't much diversity in the music spectrum.

All he's saying (and that I'm agreeing with) is that there are fewer genres in the American mainstream than the Latino Mainstream or the Caribbean Mainstream or even the African Mainstream.
exactly....doesn't take that many brain cells to figure out my point

Correct Black does mean something different in certain areas. In America, its the one drop rule. Rashida Jones is considered black in America. In DR, black means Haitian and due to the past history with them and haitians, you can understand why they rather not be called haitian. Many Blacks in America are very mixed but the AFRICAN GENES still shows its dominance thus hiding the multitude of heritage. The same is the case in DR where the majority of the population is mixed, but the AFRICAN GENES still show their dominance . Ninjahood is aware he has Black genes, however based on his cultural relation to DR, he still associates Black with something else and he does not wish to be a part of that and that is fine, but the facts say AFRICAN GENES> Taino & European. There is different shades of African Heritage. At the end of the day, the  African diaspora is EVERYWHERE and though we speak different languages and small cultural differences,  STRONG elements of Africa remain within them(food, lanuage, art, and ESPECIALLY MUSIC)

All that is besides the point, I just don't like dudes limiting an entire group to 2 types of music. African Americans listen to more than just R&B and Hip Hop. Some listen to rock, reggae, african music, spanish music, just all kinds of music. Ninja's ignorant comment is what upsets me the most.

Correct Black does mean something different in certain areas. In America, its the one drop rule. Rashida Jones is considered black in America. In DR, black means Haitian and due to the past history with them and haitians, you can understand why they rather not be called haitian. Many Blacks in America are very mixed but the AFRICAN GENES still shows its dominance thus hiding the multitude of heritage. The same is the case in DR where the majority of the population is mixed, but the AFRICAN GENES still show their dominance . Ninjahood is aware he has Black genes, however based on his cultural relation to DR, he still associates Black with something else and he does not wish to be a part of that and that is fine, but the facts say AFRICAN GENES> Taino & European. There is different shades of African Heritage. At the end of the day, the  African diaspora is EVERYWHERE and though we speak different languages and small cultural differences,  STRONG elements of Africa remain within them(food, lanuage, art, and ESPECIALLY MUSIC)

All that is besides the point, I just don't like dudes limiting an entire group to 2 types of music. African Americans listen to more than just R&B and Hip Hop. Some listen to rock, reggae, african music, spanish music, just all kinds of music. Ninja's ignorant comment is what upsets me the most.
I feel what both of you are saying.  But your scope is different.  You are talking about all the things that many people who are African American listen to.  Ninjahood is talking about the mainstream.  So in a sense your both right but in the general scope you're correct and in the scope of the mainstream, ninjahood is correct.

I feel what both of you are saying.  But your scope is different.  You are talking about all the things that many people who are African American listen to.  Ninjahood is talking about the mainstream.  So in a sense your both right but in the general scope you're correct and in the scope of the mainstream, ninjahood is correct.
Actually, African Americans are becoming very interested in  Mainstream African culture(music and movies)

Last edited:
Actually, African Americans are becoming very interested in  Mainstream African culture(music and movies)
Word cats listen to afrobeat too
Yea man.  Ish is dope.  My sister (we're west indian but regardless) she loves African stuff.  Her last two dudes were Nigerian.  We watch African movies all the time.  She even turned me on to Azonto, Afrobeat, and African pop music in general. Few of my favorites right now:

Back
Top Bottom