As a black atheist, I like to address questions of why African Americans are so religious

Originally Posted by BC2310

^I resent the big-booty ASSumption
Edit: extra ironing with your avy

LOL....by NT standards that's not enough mass son. And I was clearly referring to the fat girl thread but that wasn't even the point. If you don't like what's being discussed you don't have to come in here. Simple as that. Don't call something trolling because you don't agree with it.

^ Ok, maybe it is or isn't a troll thread, but I was dropping my 2cents on the title alone.  My lil' experience (compared to yours) on the intrawebz gave my spider senses the 'troll thread alert' so I dropped my comment.  Like I said, carry on with your "discussion" don't mind me.

^ Ok, maybe it is or isn't a troll thread, but I was dropping my 2cents on the title alone.  My lil' experience (compared to yours) on the intrawebz gave my spider senses the 'troll thread alert' so I dropped my comment.  Like I said, carry on with your "discussion" don't mind me.

I don't get what is so hard to understand about the concept of " IDK". Why is it so hard for everyone to say I have absolutely no clue where the universe came from. Why does everything have to have a creator? Why can't something just be there and always will. BECAUSE IT IS IRRATIONAL AND ABSTRACT TO THINK THAT WAY BUT THERE ARE TIMES TO BE RATIONAL AND EXPLAINING THE UNIVERSE JUST ISN'T ONE OF THEM!

"religion bashing thread". "Bashing" is most certainly not defined as letting other people know that it is OKAY to not know why we are here and we are sorry but we do not have any information on where we as Humans living on a planet called Earth came from or what life's purpose is.

Why do you need books written thousands of years ago with no factual evidence on a "Higher Being" or a Jew who went against the grain and was looked upon as "different" because he helped the poor and less fortunate. Jesus or whatever his real name is described as a PERFECT HUMAN BEING and people just couldn't accept that someone would live a good life for no reason. But who really knows what Jesus was like, ( Most certainly NOT the people who wrote the Bible because they didn't know him either lol) Calling Jesus divine because he practiced good humanity is ABSURD AND YOU NEED TO REALIZE THAT!

We as humans all now know that it is not okay to hurt, kill, or judge others based off of their skin color or looks. We do not need to be told we will go to hell or " Jesus wouldn't do that" to accept the fact that it is strictly just against THE RULES OF HUMANITY. For example if we all kill each other, we die out as a species.

I don't get what is so hard to understand about the concept of " IDK". Why is it so hard for everyone to say I have absolutely no clue where the universe came from. Why does everything have to have a creator? Why can't something just be there and always will. BECAUSE IT IS IRRATIONAL AND ABSTRACT TO THINK THAT WAY BUT THERE ARE TIMES TO BE RATIONAL AND EXPLAINING THE UNIVERSE JUST ISN'T ONE OF THEM!

"religion bashing thread". "Bashing" is most certainly not defined as letting other people know that it is OKAY to not know why we are here and we are sorry but we do not have any information on where we as Humans living on a planet called Earth came from or what life's purpose is.

Why do you need books written thousands of years ago with no factual evidence on a "Higher Being" or a Jew who went against the grain and was looked upon as "different" because he helped the poor and less fortunate. Jesus or whatever his real name is described as a PERFECT HUMAN BEING and people just couldn't accept that someone would live a good life for no reason. But who really knows what Jesus was like, ( Most certainly NOT the people who wrote the Bible because they didn't know him either lol) Calling Jesus divine because he practiced good humanity is ABSURD AND YOU NEED TO REALIZE THAT!

We as humans all now know that it is not okay to hurt, kill, or judge others based off of their skin color or looks. We do not need to be told we will go to hell or " Jesus wouldn't do that" to accept the fact that it is strictly just against THE RULES OF HUMANITY. For example if we all kill each other, we die out as a species.

wait, so people argued?

christianity was introduced to african americans through slavery....

as i do not eat chitlins, i certainly don't accept that slave-era "gift", either....

wait, so people argued?

christianity was introduced to african americans through slavery....

as i do not eat chitlins, i certainly don't accept that slave-era "gift", either....

Some NT Atheists = the new religious nuts.

If you are an atheist, great. But why try to convince others on here every other week? Ya'll remind me of the people who go around knocking on people's door "spreading the word".

Now I'm not religious, but I do believe in a God. What God? I honestly have no clue. But to me, this life wasn't an accident.

If you are an atheist, great. But why try to convince others on here every other week? Ya'll remind me of the people who go around knocking on people's door "spreading the word".

Now I'm not religious, but I do believe in a God. What God? I honestly have no clue. But to me, this life wasn't an accident.

eh, nice typical response, but this thread isnt an "nt athiest" thread

its actually a thread bringing up the hypocritical relationship between african americans, i.e. decendents of slaves, and christianity, i.e. a religion given to them by people who owned them and considered them subhuman...

thanks, tho....that is the first time anyone has EVER asked why NT athiests always make posts

eh, nice typical response, but this thread isnt an "nt athiest" thread

its actually a thread bringing up the hypocritical relationship between african americans, i.e. decendents of slaves, and christianity, i.e. a religion given to them by people who owned them and considered them subhuman...

thanks, tho....that is the first time anyone has EVER asked why NT athiests always make posts

There are some great points in this thread but there is also some pure ignorance as well.

I want to pose a question.

How do you guys feel about the African Americans who practice traditional religious and spiritual beliefs from Africa?

There are some great points in this thread but there is also some pure ignorance as well.

I want to pose a question.

How do you guys feel about the African Americans who practice traditional religious and spiritual beliefs from Africa?

Originally Posted by illwill8710

its weird. there's still a dissconnect. but it's far far far far better than just adopting christianity cause your parents and their parents and their parents and their parents were christians...because, far enough back, they weren't christians and only became christians because they were owned and forced to....

its weird. there's still a dissconnect. but it's far far far far better than just adopting christianity cause your parents and their parents and their parents and their parents were christians...because, far enough back, they weren't christians and only became christians because they were owned and forced to....

Originally Posted by LarryDavidSwag

Yeah I agree. I've experienced that African Americans who had a better understanding of the African concepts that were established throughout a majority of the continent fared better as far as religious belief, spirituality, and managing evolution of traditions. Few do remain christian but often get rid of the oppressive concepts that they were taught.

Originally Posted by LarryDavidSwag

Yeah I agree. I've experienced that African Americans who had a better understanding of the African concepts that were established throughout a majority of the continent fared better as far as religious belief, spirituality, and managing evolution of traditions. Few do remain christian but often get rid of the oppressive concepts that they were taught.

Originally Posted by CadillacFLOW

Yet, you're the one who chose to enter the thread. That's like me going to a Jehovah witness's crib and expecting him to keep his beliefs to himself. Get outta here with that bull###.

Something had to be an accident and exist by spontaneous means, no matter what perspective you look at it from.

Originally Posted by CadillacFLOW

Yet, you're the one who chose to enter the thread. That's like me going to a Jehovah witness's crib and expecting him to keep his beliefs to himself. Get outta here with that bull###.

Something had to be an accident and exist by spontaneous means, no matter what perspective you look at it from.

people NEED to feel as 'life wasnt an accident' because of the connotations of the word 'accident'

look, we're not special. we are life forms living on a huge mass thats spinning in space around a star...

stop having this arrogant idea about the human race and how we're special and chosen...

we had a muscle in our head mutate, letting our skull and brain expand.

when we die, our bio-electricity stops....our bodies lay limp...

im not saying i have all the answers

but its like all this "theres no way we're an accident" talk is insulting to me...

fine, don't call it an accident....

call it fate....call it whatever you want, if it helps you accept the fact that noone waved a hand and breathed life into clay, i'll be happy.

people NEED to feel as 'life wasnt an accident' because of the connotations of the word 'accident'

look, we're not special. we are life forms living on a huge mass thats spinning in space around a star...

stop having this arrogant idea about the human race and how we're special and chosen...

we had a muscle in our head mutate, letting our skull and brain expand.

when we die, our bio-electricity stops....our bodies lay limp...

im not saying i have all the answers

but its like all this "theres no way we're an accident" talk is insulting to me...

fine, don't call it an accident....

call it fate....call it whatever you want, if it helps you accept the fact that noone waved a hand and breathed life into clay, i'll be happy.

My question is why do atheist take such a fundamentalist approach to interpreting scriptures and the bible when it should be common knowledge that the bible uses archetypes, fables, and allegory to convey a meaning. If one looks into the history of Christianity, one can see that a point in time came where the system was taken over and re interpreted to fit along the lines of manifest destiny for whites. This is no secret. So really all of yalls blame on religion and spirituality should not be directed at religion and spirituality but rather the manipulators of religion and spirituality.

Just because a thief wears jeans, are we gonna spend the rest of our lives blasting jeans because a thief once wore them?

My question is why do atheist take such a fundamentalist approach to interpreting scriptures and the bible when it should be common knowledge that the bible uses archetypes, fables, and allegory to convey a meaning. If one looks into the history of Christianity, one can see that a point in time came where the system was taken over and re interpreted to fit along the lines of manifest destiny for whites. This is no secret. So really all of yalls blame on religion and spirituality should not be directed at religion and spirituality but rather the manipulators of religion and spirituality.

Just because a thief wears jeans, are we gonna spend the rest of our lives blasting jeans because a thief once wore them?

Back
Top Bottom