Asian Culture Discussion Thread

I think this is more of a commentary to not judge others based on their occupation alone.
Well what you say is true "education, opportunity, and financial success" are all interlinked, it shouldn't define who you are or how much you contribute to society, or your character.

A lot of Asian parents push do high education and career goals but don't teach their children how to be well rounded people.
Whats the point if you have a Ferrari but you never help out your fellow man?

Also you're assuming the other mom is White, which she may be. But I know the cartoon is Korean, so I would be confused how a korean artist would want to make a moral statement with a white mother and child.

Last edited:
Good point: not only material wealth but to be a better person. I get that and would think most of us already know and get that manners/behavior drilled into our core. Unfortunately not sure the others will see that.

Also you're assuming the other mom is White, which she may be. But I know the cartoon is Korean, so I would be confused how a korean artist would want to make a moral statement with a white mother and child.

Mother and child are pasty pale with red brunette hair. Going to go out on limb and say nonAsian Caucasian. As for using white person as a better example, then that conversation goes to unhealthy fascination with Western Europeans looks and culture.

Mother and child are pasty pale with red brunette hair. Going to go out on limb and say nonAsian Caucasian. As for using white person as a better example, then that conversation goes to unhealthy fascination with Western Europeans looks and culture.
A lot of korean / Japanese cartoonists use pale skin and non black hair for korean/japanese people. You never seen Anime?

In fact, when I saw this comic, I didn't for one second think the other mother was white or non Korean. I mean, the brunette girl is replying in Korean.

BTW I'm not korean

Last edited:
Good point: not only material wealth but to be a better person. I get that and would think most of us already know and get that manners/behavior drilled into our core. Unfortunately not sure the others will see that.

Some cultures like Japan do push behavior and manners as its their social norm. But this is not the case in China.
In China, you're taught that if you do something for someone, your expected to get something back. Or else, you're the sucker for being nice.
So it's really culture based.

Some cultures like Japan do push behavior and manners as its their social norm. But this is not the case in China.
In China, you're taught that if you do something for someone, your expected to get something back. Or else, you're the sucker for being nice.
So it's really culture based.

No doubt Mainland behavior is different.
As Chinese from Taiwan, kinda chalk up the difference to 70 years of Commie. See N Korea/S Korea to Russia/Europe and etc. Really think that a main point.

Wait, are you saying you're Chinese or Taiwanese?
I've lived in both China and Taiwan. They are way different in many terms.

Wait, are you saying you're Chinese or Taiwanese?
I've lived in both China and Taiwan. They are way different in many terms.

Not to get too Personal, but just as fyi.
Said this before. Gen X so bit older than some in Thread. Born on Island but went to kindergarten like everyone else in Midwest. Family are Mainlanders last to evacuate from China. Same provincial area as the old Generalissimo. Also means poorer than dirt refugees.
My Parents are Conservative so brought up to say Chinese from Taiwan. Can say Taiwanese but really dislike and have no connection to current political landscape.
If all that made sense.

I get you . Just wanted to make sure so I didn't misread your comment.
Not to get too Personal, but just as fyi.
Said this before. Gen X so bit older than some in Thread. Born on Island but went to kindergarten like everyone else in Midwest. Family are Mainlanders last to evacuate from China. Same provincial area as the old Generalissimo. Also means poorer than dirt refugees.
My Parents are Conservative so brought up to say Chinese from Taiwan. Can say Taiwanese but really dislike and have no connection to current political landscape.
If all that made sense.

Good. Rarely hear that way, but grew up with idea. Not going to hear that style from my younger and way younger generation cousins.
Appreciate the question.
Agreed. Non of my Taiwanese friends would call themselves Chinese, and will get into drunken arguments with you on the streets of Taipei if you even mention them being Chinese. <--personal experience.

I wouldn’t include Kpop on that list of examples. The stories of Corporate exploitation grind is Real. But very good point of having the confidence to follow Dreams, bet on Self to take risks and maybe even making a Living from too. Always encourage the Entrepreneurial Spirit.
Fair point. I didnt mean to use Kpop as an industry but the creative aspect of it is what I support. You still have the Hollywood ish dirtbags running everything behind the glitz and glamour.

I don't expect white kids to give Asian international students an easy time but Asian Americans can do better. Too much "he's such a fob" going on, we have diff backgrounds but we both Asian we have to look out for one another

In my 5% white middle school, the foreign-born Vietnamese,Chinese, and Indian kids got the most bullying from Asian-Americans. I feel like a lot of those people grow out of that mentality once they're older, but I still hear it sometimes to this day. I've heard this dude straight up say he would never date an Asian without a Western accent

200.gif

useless pos :lol:

Lived in Australia for 3 years. Australia's a pretty right leaning country, and there's a fair bit of racism there. There's also a lot of lunatics on public transport there. Meth (they usually refer to it as Ice) is rampant. The saddest thing about that whole thing is that animal has a child, and feels it's alright to do that in front of her child.

Lived in Australia for 3 years. Australia's a pretty right leaning country, and there's a fair bit of racism there. There's also a lot of lunatics on public transport there. Meth (they usually refer to it as Ice) is rampant. The saddest thing about that whole thing is that animal has a child, and feels it's alright to do that in front of her child.

Wouldn’t necessarily say “pretty Right leaning country” as definite catch all to this stupidity. Stupid is as Stupid does anywhere. But having known few Aussies, both White & Asian, and even from former coworker (older native Mexican Californian) who visited with his wife (older native 3rd gen Japanese Californian), they all say country is like 50/70 years ago America.
If that makes any sense.

Back
Top Bottom