Asics Love?!? Where is it?

Question for everyone: Do you think we've reached the pinnacle of runner popularity?

It seemed that last year was a very quick build up in terms of people copping runners and the amount of collabs getting pushed out. Now this year we obviously have the 25th anniversary of the GL3 and a new collab every month. Also mixed in are other runner (asics collabs mainly) releases. There is/are a new shoe or shoes being released every weekend. It seems that every store is getting into the mix, not just you're main stores (i.e. Kith, Cncpts, BDGA, etc...). It seems like people are also transferring from Jordans to runners now and there is a whole secondary market developing. You have re-sellers, pre-orders, campers, and regular people on social media selling collabs. 

What does everyone else think?

Speaking for myself.....I can say I'm pretty new to the runner scene (first pair was Shoe Gallery NBs) outside of Nike runners. I've always observed the runner scene from afar prior to then, but I always kept an eye on what was dropping. But as far as Nike/JB goes, it got to the point where I've gathered up just about all I want and decided I wanted to give other brands a try. After copping a few and recognizing the vast difference in quality, I feel like my money is better spent with the other brands....and the secondary market isn't as crazy either.

But from the short time I've been around, I've noticed a lot more attention being paid to runners then say last year. The Cncpts got almost Jordan like coverage from all the blogs/sneaker sites. Next thing will be the inevitable mega-super-ultra hype release that blows the top off this fairly quiet scene (RF 25th release), and the trend chasers will come running.

Question for everyone: Do you think we've reached the pinnacle of runner popularity?
I actually think its on the decline. A year or so ago resellers flourished with collabs, now people are barely getting over retail except on a few releases. Eventually its gonna get to the point where people actually buy what they like, and not whats hot or limited.

It seemed that last year was a very quick build up in terms of people copping runners and the amount of collabs getting pushed out. Now this year we obviously have the 25th anniversary of the GL3 and a new collab every month. Also mixed in are other runner (asics collabs mainly) releases. There is/are a new shoe or shoes being released every weekend. It seems that every store is getting into the mix, not just you're main stores (i.e. Kith, Cncpts, BDGA, etc...). It seems like people are also transferring from Jordans to runners now and there is a whole secondary market developing. You have re-sellers, pre-orders, campers, and regular people on social media selling collabs. 

What does everyone else think?
Yeah the market is going to peak soon, if it already hasn't. Most collabs can be had for near retail in the secondary market, and with everyone and their mother trying to resell it's not like the secondary market saturation is going to go away. That being said, everyone seems to be trying to sell anything that is perceived as limited now (Video games/clothes). If that mentality stays prevalent then things will probably stay the same.

My 2 cents.  

I think its companys in general trying to push as much as they can out because they realize it sells no matter what(usually). I think its a the pinnacle now but will slowly die off by the end of the year. Too many releases every month that seems to me is over saturating the market. I use to hope there would 5 or 6 collabs a year for Asics. Now its like 2 to 3 a month and the price is higher. Half the time i wonder how some of you dudes can afford to scoop everything up. making me fell all poor. thats probably cause the kids though. lol

I think collab oversaturation is going to kill runners soon. Collab runner releases are as frequent (if not moreso now) than retro Jordan releases. Granted, for the most part it's two different markets (JB for teens/20-somethings; runners for 20-40yo), but that's led the runner market prices to creep higher because their market is more "financially established," i.e., they actually have full-time jobs and aren't HS-ers relying on parents or part time jobs to pay for their kicks. Also, older buyers want higher-quality materials and workmanship. But as runner collabs are up to $200 for Asics, $250-300 for NB, and limited GRs are now $120+, I think the market will soon collapse. They just need to slow up a bit on collab releases to let buyers save some $$$.

Finally, I think we'll see people are going to just get tired of the handful of retro models offered by each brand. Unlike JB's 22 or so retro models, and Nike's countless models, Asics, NB and Saucony have a really limited selection of silhouettes to choose from. You can really only do so much with GL-IIIs, Vs, GT-IIs, Cools, Sagas, Kayanos and Sights, for example.

Interesting....

I think collab oversaturation is going to kill runners soon. Collab runner releases are as frequent (if not moreso now) than retro Jordan releases. Granted, for the most part it's two different markets (JB for teens/20-somethings; runners for 20-40yo), but that's led the runner market prices to creep higher because their market is more "financially established," i.e., they actually have full-time jobs and aren't HS-ers relying on parents or part time jobs to pay for their kicks. Also, older buyers want higher-quality materials and workmanship. But as runner collabs are up to $200 for Asics, $250-300 for NB, and limited GRs are now $120+, I think the market will soon collapse. They just need to slow up a bit on collab releases to let buyers save some $$$.

Finally, I think we'll see people are going to just get tired of the handful of retro models offered by each brand. Unlike JB's 22 or so retro models, and Nike's countless models, Asics, NB and Saucony have a really limited selection of silhouettes to choose from. You can really only do so much with GL-IIIs, Vs, GT-IIs, Cools, Sagas, Kayanos and Sights, for example.
Good point on the number of Jordan's there are. I think the runner community in general is not very receptive to new models (i.e. the gel sights). 

These brands & stores definitely need to slow down on the amount of collabs. Unfortunately, I don't see that ever happening. They're going to drown themselves with all these collabs.

collabs generate a lot of hype and get people to cross over from different brands.  so with asics doing the 25th anniv thing, i think the runner audience will only grow.  also mainstream stores like FL FNL journeys UO whatnot are moving a lot GRs too.  these mainstream shops open up a whole new demographic to asics. 

collabs generate a lot of hype and get people to cross over from different brands.  so with asics doing the 25th anniv thing, i think the runner audience will only grow.  also mainstream stores like FL FNL journeys UO whatnot are moving a lot GRs too.  these mainstream shops open up a whole new demographic to asics. 
Yea this is a great point. It seems like every large chain store carries asics now.

I just wonder what will happen in 5 years or 10 years. Will Asics, NB, Diadora, Reebok & Puma continue to grow and have popular collabs (still sell out). Or will they end up like nike dunks are today.

I also think social media has played a huge role in the popularity of runners/sneakers in general. People are able to closely follow these companies on every release and look at sneakers every day. More and more people gain access to brands & individuals through social media, people sell through social media, and people are able share and express themselves through it as well. I think the emergence of social media has given rise to the popularity of runners and will help runners stay relevant.

I think any collabs involving the GL3's (and the equivalent flagship models from other brands) and/or a big name boutique will remain steady. Everything else will burst if it hasn't already.

Yea this is a great point. It seems like every large chain store carries asics now.

I just wonder what will happen in 5 years or 10 years. Will Asics, NB, Diadora, Reebok & Puma continue to grow and have popular collabs (still sell out). Or will they end up like nike dunks are today.
Tbh, I really hope not. Now that seems selfish and I do want asics to get the recognition they deserve for creating their shoes. Especially this year, runner popularity has only been increasing so much.

However, if we look at it from our perspective (the consumers) trying to buy all these shoes, its going to be much harder to be able to cop (not that it isn't already for certain pairs of asics). It's scary to see that asics can probably reach certain popularity level that Jordans have obtained (that may be a stretch).

Overall, it's good that asics and people collaborating with them for their silhouettes are gaining the recognition they deserve. But now, shoes are going to be much more competitive and harder to cop. 

(Yes, I know this a is a flip flop sort of opinion. But its just my mixed feelings on it.)

These look interesting...hyper fuse asics almost

See... now this is what could help keep runners relevant: good, new, different materials. Don't get me wrong, I love me some suede and nubuck, but this also returns the GL-III to it's RUNNER roots. My ***** doesn't run for anything but a bus, but if I did run I could see myself wearing something like this in 2015.

I see consumers being more selective in what they buy with this saturation of collaborations. I know I have. I am not buying something unless I think it looks good to me. Not because it is supposedly limited. And the quantity is a bit much on the Asics front with collabs. They need to pump the brakes.

I see consumers being more selective in what they buy with this saturation of collaborations. I know I have. I am not buying something unless I think it looks good to me. Not because it is supposedly limited. And the quantity is a bit much on the Asics front with collabs. They need to pump the brakes.
I'm right there with you. I used to want every collab, now that there seems to be a new one every weekend I can pick and choose. But trust me, these companies/stores are never going to pump the brakes. They realize the reseller market so they will continue to over saturate and raise prices

I'm right there with you. I used to want every collab, now that there seems to be a new one every weekend I can pick and choose. But trust me, these companies/stores are never going to pump the brakes. They realize the reseller market so they will continue to over saturate and raise prices

You are most likely correct. The best thing for each individual is to be more selective and make them bump the quality. I wanted Papercuts but now, having waited, it is an easy pass. There are better collabs on the horizon than that.

On runners, the resell is maybe $50 profit two weeks after release at most? The companies will slowly raise the prices to erode that and take it themselves to a point. Where reselling won't be worth it. $50 isn't worth it to me dealing with flakes, etc. I just want them for my rotation.

GL3 Evo, releasing Fall 2015. I actually own samples of these, they have a mesh underlay all around, real nice everyday shoe that goes with everything.

Actually there are a similar pair in grey suede, apparently part of the laser pack, but so far, only found one store who already drop them.

Anyone knows more about this cw?

Back
Top Bottom