I don't ask every time but generally for small talk. Like when they're digging through the 200 pieces of paper in the glove compartment (I'm guilty of it too) for the registration.Why do cops ask "where are you going/headed" when they pull you over?
1. You don't see any problem at all with dudes pushing dope? That's not part of the problem?Easy. Any drug law. I'll elaborate on the example I gave on cocaine. Not only can nobody tell you that you can't do it but nobody can tell you what amount you can possess or distribute. First of all you're not forcing or coercing anyone to purchase it from you. They're doing it by choice under their own volition and will get it for themselves whether you're there to provide it or not. And if you wanna go deep into it the government provides drugs at the end of the day but that's a whole nother thread. Now if a person excercises poor judgment and partakes in or overdoses on a substance that causes them to go out and violate or harm another sentient being then they have to suffer the repercussions of their actions. Another example would be any jurisdictional law i.e. I can carry an extended magazine in region A freely but if I have that same clip in region B I can be put in a cage for it. It's stupid as hell.
Last question for you, the government enforces martial law. You as a police officer are given strict orders to respond with deadly force to any civilian regardless of age, sex, etc. refusing to go inside their home or vacate public areas. Are you gonna "do your job" and "follow orders" by trampling all over everyone's human rights and becoming an agent of oppression (even more so) in order to continue to collect your check and because daddy told you to? What is the line for you? What's it gonna take for you to wake up and realize you're part of the problem?
1. Government created 'pushing dope'. Does it ruin communities? Yes. However, the problem was started by law enforcement.1. You don't see any problem at all with dudes pushing dope? That's not part of the problem?
2. The magazine thing I agree with. I live in California and have some of the strictest gun laws.
3. If it got to the point where I'm given strict orders to use deadly force to disperse a crowd then I'm turning in my badge.
You obviously have your mind made up.You guys kill unarmed fleeing people all day.
Hell, you kill children who have hulk like strength in broad daylight out of "fear"
You have a gun. You're free from any consequence.
What exactly does an unarmed person do to present "fear"
1. How so? Honestly. I'm not in the know.1. Government created 'pushing dope'. Does it ruin communities? Yes. However, the problem was started by law enforcement.
2. You don't have to abide by any of our states laws while you have your badge on. And when you're off duty...you still play your badge card.
3. No you wouldn't. I know for a fact the union preps you guys on how to make a shooting justifiable. If your brothers are willing to drown peaceful protestors with pepper spray and all you guys do is advance with batons and shields. You'll be popping shots at the crowd cause 1. you're human. Once your partner starts shooting....domino effect.
1) In all honesty, never. I hope it would end one day but it'll never end. It wouldn't affect my job at all either.1)when is the war on drugs going to end?
or actually be re-evaluated?
makes no sense and we are all paying for something thats never.... gonna end drugs go back to the beinging of time and will most likely be here when we all leave this planet.
2)as a police officer, youre an officer of the law... an enforcer of this said law if you will....
so this technically means you guys do what the government tells you to do rather then what the people would want you to do or even what you feel is morally right.
being that people are actually sketched out of the government for many many reasons.
is it or isnt fair to say that people could be within their rights not to really trust police officers?
if you agree what is the band aid for this wound?
this is setting aside all the corruption that has been exposed in numerous states.
(early 90's you have the FBI and internal affairs crack down on most prescient in the NYC area, as well as LAPD being filmed using rodney king as a pinata... almost 30 years elapse and not much has gotten better... one might say its escalated with all these taped murders)
3)does the fact of apprehending the wrong person that leads them to getting convicted of a crime and sentenced to football numbers not weigh on the minds of police officers?
does the law weigh on police officers mind? ive met people who did 15 years for stealing 1 article of clothing... they steal because they lack rescources get thrown into court and have to battle the law with a public court appointed defender ... which will more than likely butcher the case. they come out of jail and have to do the same exact thing because now they have even less money and experience and carry a F. (hope you get my point)
4)is there really a blue code? (code for all police officers to have each others back, if one says something is black do all of you have to agree? i.e: if you catch a fellow officers breaking the law do you have his back and not report his ***? )
5)how often are cops patroling the communitys they grew up in? it seems like those days are over where the police officers interacted with the people they grew up with.
do you guys get a choice? or are you placed in a random department after the academy
Not at all. I don't make a lot of traffic stops but if I'm working one of my usual districts where RBI's and shootings happen way too often and I make a traffic stop on Chad from the local university, hell yeah I'm gonna ask him where he's going and/or where is he coming from. And for him to get my attention in the first place he'd have to do something stupid like run a red light right in front of me.
1. the government fed the streets and caused an epidemic known as crack. Bible thumpers think marijuana is the devil which causes unwarranted arrests, convictions and murders for a natural plant.1. How so? Honestly. I'm not in the know.
2. Prior to me being law enforcement, I had the same restrictions in regards to firearms. Do I have different ones now? Yes. Does that change the way I feel about firearms restrictions in general? No.
3. I wouldn't? If there is a "How to make a shooting justifiable" class then I missed it. I don't understand the second half of that statement. If pepper spray is being used and police are advancing with batons and shields, you expect me to just start shooting?
this.Y'all really playing with these cops lol. They're FULLY aware of what role they play and why. So anything else is them choosing one of two things, grossly unintelligent and stupid. Idiotic. Or the second one is deliberately aiding in the oppression of a large group of people ONLY because they have an establishment backing them. 99% of cops wouldn't take the belt and badge off to shoot a fair one lol.
2017 there is too much content and access regarding what policing is all about. Cop talking about he "doesn't decide the sentence". You're fully aware that if you bring in a black male for ANYTHING, there's an infinite times more chance he can be swallowed up and life changed forever in comparison to his white "counterpart". Part of the offense is playing on people's intelligence. You and I know what's going on, stop lying bama.
Where do you police at? I'm one as well been in for 3 years now love everything about it. Disregard I just now finished reading everything but stay safe in Cali I'm sure your pay is wayyyyyy better than mine lol.Just like the title says.
Obviously public/police relations aren't the best right now and its been like that for a while. I get it. I understand. I've seen the same videos that you all have seen and then some. I could justify/argue some while others were flat out wrong.
I'm not naive enough to think there are no bad cops or that cops are always right and never wrong. Within the department there are cops that don't want to work with other cops because of policing styles, personalities, whatever. So if your own partners don't want to interact with you then your interactions with the public probably won't be any better. That goes the same for any profession though really. Ideally all cops, firefighters, doctors, teachers, priests etc. will never break any rules or do any wrong but let's be real.
My take on the job? It's tough. It's dynamic. A LOT to think about at all times. At the end of the day we all just want to go home to our families. It's not easy. I do it because I've always enjoyed helping people and really don't like people who break the law. Yeah I get it. There are career criminals who just have no care in the world and to those people, honestly, screw them. There are some people who just hit a rough patch and got into a bad lifestyle but you can tell they need help. Those people I enjoy helping. And there are plenty other groups of people out there but I can't touch on them all right now. I recommend going on a ride along to see what it is like. Though you really won't know how tough it is obviously until you actually do it. Look up those videos on youtube where they put the public in police situations and how they handle it. To be honest I'm sure that's how I looked when I was in the academy.
I'm also not naive enough to think the thread will go smoothly without any trolling or uneccessary replies but I figure I'd give it a shot. Just trying to help. Ask away and I'll make an honest attempt to answer it as best I can. That being said, I can only answer for my department really as different agencies/departments have different policies/procedures.
ABOUT ME (so you have an idea)
I'm in my early 30's
I work for a police department in Southern California
Been a cop for 5 years
Been on NT since about 2001 (Yes I have another account on NT)
I'm answering questions in the exact order they were asked/posted. Done through page 3. I'll get through more of them later.
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now