Ask a Cop whatever.....

Why do cops ask "where are you going/headed" when they pull you over?

I don't ask every time but generally for small talk. Like when they're digging through the 200 pieces of paper in the glove compartment (I'm guilty of it too) for the registration.

Rarely will I ask for any investigative purposes but I mean the person can just lie. If it's a regular traffic stop then I'm generally not trying to dig deep.

Easy. Any drug law. I'll elaborate on the example I gave on cocaine. Not only can nobody tell you that you can't do it but nobody can tell you what amount you can possess or distribute. First of all you're not forcing or coercing anyone to purchase it from you. They're doing it by choice under their own volition and will get it for themselves whether you're there to provide it or not. And if you wanna go deep into it the government provides drugs at the end of the day but that's a whole nother thread. Now if a person excercises poor judgment and partakes in or overdoses on a substance that causes them to go out and violate or harm another sentient being then they have to suffer the repercussions of their actions. Another example would be any jurisdictional law i.e. I can carry an extended magazine in region A freely but if I have that same clip in region B I can be put in a cage for it. It's stupid as hell.

Last question for you, the government enforces martial law. You as a police officer are given strict orders to respond with deadly force to any civilian regardless of age, sex, etc. refusing to go inside their home or vacate public areas. Are you gonna "do your job" and "follow orders" by trampling all over everyone's human rights and becoming an agent of oppression (even more so) in order to continue to collect your check and because daddy told you to? What is the line for you? What's it gonna take for you to wake up and realize you're part of the problem?

1. You don't see any problem at all with dudes pushing dope? That's not part of the problem?

2. The magazine thing I agree with. I live in California and have some of the strictest gun laws.

3. If it got to the point where I'm given strict orders to use deadly force to disperse a crowd then I'm turning in my badge.

1. You don't see any problem at all with dudes pushing dope? That's not part of the problem?

2. The magazine thing I agree with. I live in California and have some of the strictest gun laws.

3. If it got to the point where I'm given strict orders to use deadly force to disperse a crowd then I'm turning in my badge.
1. Government created 'pushing dope'. Does it ruin communities? Yes. However, the problem was started by law enforcement.

2. You don't have to abide by any of our states laws while you have your badge on. And when you're off duty...you still play your badge card.

3. No you wouldn't. I know for a fact the union preps you guys on how to make a shooting justifiable. If your brothers are willing to drown peaceful protestors with pepper spray and all you guys do is advance with batons and shields. You'll be popping shots at the crowd cause 1. you're human. Once your partner starts shooting....domino effect.

You guys kill unarmed fleeing people all day.

Hell, you kill children who have hulk like strength in broad daylight out of "fear"

You have a gun. You're free from any consequence.

What exactly does an unarmed person do to present "fear"

You obviously have your mind made up.

Never have I done any of those things. I am not free from consequence.

My answer to that question/comment you posted was not a law enforcement only response. Just from what I've seen/heard/know, if somebody breaks into a house and then runs away, then you or I or the next man shooting that person is gonna have a hell of a time in court. What does an unarmed person have to do to present fear? Obviously a different answer for different people but if somebody showed up in your bedroom in the middle of the night unannounced then it would probably be safe to say there's gonna be some fear.

when is the war on drugs going to end? 

or actually be re-evaluated? 

makes no sense and we are all paying for something thats never.... gonna end drugs go back to the beinging of time and will most likely be here when we all leave this planet. 

as a police officer, youre an officer of the law... an enforcer of this said law if you will....

so this technically means you guys do what the government tells you to do rather then what the people would want you to do or even what you feel is morally right.

being that people are actually sketched out of the government for many many reasons. 

is it or isnt fair to say that people could be within their rights not to really trust police officers? 

if you agree what is the band aid for this wound?

this is setting aside all the corruption that has been exposed in numerous states. 

(early 90's you have the FBI and internal affairs crack down on most prescient in the NYC area, as well as LAPD being filmed using rodney king as a pinata... almost 30 years elapse and not much has gotten better... one might say its escalated with all these taped murders)

does the fact of apprehending the wrong person that leads them to getting convicted of a crime and sentenced to football numbers not weigh on the minds of police officers? 

does the law weigh on police officers mind? ive met people who did 15 years for stealing 1 article of clothing... they steal because they lack rescources get thrown into court and have to battle the law with a public court appointed defender ... which will more than likely butcher the case. they come out of jail and have to do the same exact thing because now they have even less money and experience and carry a F. (hope you get my point)

is there really a blue code? (code for all police officers to have each others back, if one says something is black do all of you have to agree? i.e: if you catch a fellow officers breaking the law do you have his back and not report his ***? ) 

how often are cops patroling the communitys they grew up in? it seems like those days are over where the police officers interacted with the people they grew up with. 

do you guys get a choice? or are you placed in a random department after the academy 

1. Government created 'pushing dope'. Does it ruin communities? Yes. However, the problem was started by law enforcement.

2. You don't have to abide by any of our states laws while you have your badge on. And when you're off duty...you still play your badge card.

3. No you wouldn't. I know for a fact the union preps you guys on how to make a shooting justifiable. If your brothers are willing to drown peaceful protestors with pepper spray and all you guys do is advance with batons and shields. You'll be popping shots at the crowd cause 1. you're human. Once your partner starts shooting....domino effect.

1. How so? Honestly. I'm not in the know.

2. Prior to me being law enforcement, I had the same restrictions in regards to firearms. Do I have different ones now? Yes. Does that change the way I feel about firearms restrictions in general? No.

3. I wouldn't? If there is a "How to make a shooting justifiable" class then I missed it. I don't understand the second half of that statement. If pepper spray is being used and police are advancing with batons and shields, you expect me to just start shooting?

1)when is the war on drugs going to end? 
or actually be re-evaluated? 
makes no sense and we are all paying for something thats never.... gonna end drugs go back to the beinging of time and will most likely be here when we all leave this planet. 

2)as a police officer, youre an officer of the law... an enforcer of this said law if you will....
so this technically means you guys do what the government tells you to do rather then what the people would want you to do or even what you feel is morally right.
being that people are actually sketched out of the government for many many reasons. 

is it or isnt fair to say that people could be within their rights not to really trust police officers? 
if you agree what is the band aid for this wound?

this is setting aside all the corruption that has been exposed in numerous states. 
(early 90's you have the FBI and internal affairs crack down on most prescient in the NYC area, as well as LAPD being filmed using rodney king as a pinata... almost 30 years elapse and not much has gotten better... one might say its escalated with all these taped murders)

3)does the fact of apprehending the wrong person that leads them to getting convicted of a crime and sentenced to football numbers not weigh on the minds of police officers? 
does the law weigh on police officers mind? ive met people who did 15 years for stealing 1 article of clothing... they steal because they lack rescources get thrown into court and have to battle the law with a public court appointed defender ... which will more than likely butcher the case. they come out of jail and have to do the same exact thing because now they have even less money and experience and carry a F. (hope you get my point)

4)is there really a blue code? (code for all police officers to have each others back, if one says something is black do all of you have to agree? i.e: if you catch a fellow officers breaking the law do you have his back and not report his ***? ) 

5)how often are cops patroling the communitys they grew up in? it seems like those days are over where the police officers interacted with the people they grew up with. 
do you guys get a choice? or are you placed in a random department after the academy 
1) In all honesty, never. I hope it would end one day but it'll never end. It wouldn't affect my job at all either.

2) The people of my state elected the people that make these laws into office. If the people want the laws gone, vote them out and put in people who will make that happen.

3) On most felonies and other serious crimes, as a patrolman, I'm not deciding whether or not someone goes to jail. To get 15 years for theft means that that person has multiple prior theft convections. Not charges but convections. In my state you have to steal over $2500 for it to be a felony the first time around. Until then it's a damn misdemeanor charge. Hell it's a damn ticket for theft under $100. I don't have much sympathy for thieves for this reason.

4) The officers who do shady **** tend to stick with other officers who do shady ****. They are also avoided by other officers. That's why when they do get caught they get caught doing some crazy outlandish ****. Police officers aren't going to go out of there way to try and find dirt on other officers. That's why we have Sergeants, IA, and other things like that.

5) Quite a few officers on my department work in areas they grew up in. We do kinda get a choice. After the academy we made a wish list of where we wanted to go but at the end of the day it's based on the needs of the department.

Racial profiling?

A young middle class/upper middle class white guy in some of the districts I patrol would be really out of place.

View media item 2431636
Something fishy now

Not at all. I don't make a lot of traffic stops but if I'm working one of my usual districts where RBI's and shootings happen way too often and I make a traffic stop on Chad from the local university, hell yeah I'm gonna ask him where he's going and/or where is he coming from. And for him to get my attention in the first place he'd have to do something stupid like run a red light right in front of me.

1. How so? Honestly. I'm not in the know.

2. Prior to me being law enforcement, I had the same restrictions in regards to firearms. Do I have different ones now? Yes. Does that change the way I feel about firearms restrictions in general? No.

3. I wouldn't? If there is a "How to make a shooting justifiable" class then I missed it. I don't understand the second half of that statement. If pepper spray is being used and police are advancing with batons and shields, you expect me to just start shooting?
1. the government fed the streets and caused an epidemic known as crack. Bible thumpers think marijuana is the devil which causes unwarranted arrests, convictions and murders for a natural plant.

2. You're not a citizen any more though. You're a cop. You have carte blanche to do whatever you want.

3. You're coached by the union. It's in the damned handbook. If at anytime you "fear" for your life....you're justified.

As for the pepper spray...if your brothers in arms are that callous to spray peaceful protestors and have his partners begin to agitate and pummel protestors...the end result will be the same if one officer shoots...all of you are shooting. 

So you'd turn in your badge? Lemme rephrase the question.

Say the government sets up FEMA camps with some benign name like "safe havens" or some bs like that during martial law. Says it's purpose is to keep people safe. Your team is instructed to sweep the neighborhoods, obtain anyone that resists, have them restrained and sent to this place having no real clue on what takes place there. U gonna do it?

Y'all really playing with these cops lol. They're FULLY aware of what role they play and why. So anything else is them choosing one of two things, grossly unintelligent and stupid. Idiotic. Or the second one is deliberately aiding in the oppression of a large group of people ONLY because they have an establishment backing them. 99% of cops wouldn't take the belt and badge off to shoot a fair one lol.

2017 there is too much content and access regarding what policing is all about. Cop talking about he "doesn't decide the sentence". You're fully aware that if you bring in a black male for ANYTHING, there's an infinite times more chance he can be swallowed up and life changed forever in comparison to his white "counterpart". Part of the offense is playing on people's intelligence. You and I know what's going on, stop lying bama.

Agreed.^

When I was in the military and realized what I was a part of I wanted out and got out. Like you said, you're either ignorant or cool with it.

shout out to OP for keeping his cool with some of these questions/comments. dudes coming in here literally hating this guy because of his profession and he still takes the time to respond and offer his own personal insight. made for a pretty good read

I don't hate the dude. That's OD.

I hate that we are cogs in a system that pits us against each other while the greedy rulers laugh at how stupid we are. Even when you strip racists down (kinda related) their hate is based on them blindly following a stupid system and theory. Some of them know and some just believe the hype. Do I hate them? Not really. I hate what they believe in. Balance is coming in all regards though. Not in my lifetime, but soon enough. Maybe my children's children will see what some of us have dreamed of.

Y'all really playing with these cops lol. They're FULLY aware of what role they play and why. So anything else is them choosing one of two things, grossly unintelligent and stupid. Idiotic. Or the second one is deliberately aiding in the oppression of a large group of people ONLY because they have an establishment backing them. 99% of cops wouldn't take the belt and badge off to shoot a fair one lol.

2017 there is too much content and access regarding what policing is all about. Cop talking about he "doesn't decide the sentence". You're fully aware that if you bring in a black male for ANYTHING, there's an infinite times more chance he can be swallowed up and life changed forever in comparison to his white "counterpart". Part of the offense is playing on people's intelligence. You and I know what's going on, stop lying bama.
this. 

they're trained to charge high so they can plead out...it's a win/win for the system.

Cops are dirty. period.

Insult one and see how fast they go from your protector to the aggressor. 

The ego they're brainwashed to have is ridic.

Just like the title says.

Obviously public/police relations aren't the best right now and its been like that for a while. I get it. I understand. I've seen the same videos that you all have seen and then some. I could justify/argue some while others were flat out wrong.

I'm not naive enough to think there are no bad cops or that cops are always right and never wrong. Within the department there are cops that don't want to work with other cops because of policing styles, personalities, whatever. So if your own partners don't want to interact with you then your interactions with the public probably won't be any better. That goes the same for any profession though really. Ideally all cops, firefighters, doctors, teachers, priests etc. will never break any rules or do any wrong but let's be real.

My take on the job? It's tough. It's dynamic. A LOT to think about at all times. At the end of the day we all just want to go home to our families. It's not easy. I do it because I've always enjoyed helping people and really don't like people who break the law. Yeah I get it. There are career criminals who just have no care in the world and to those people, honestly, screw them. There are some people who just hit a rough patch and got into a bad lifestyle but you can tell they need help. Those people I enjoy helping. And there are plenty other groups of people out there but I can't touch on them all right now. I recommend going on a ride along to see what it is like. Though you really won't know how tough it is obviously until you actually do it. Look up those videos on youtube where they put the public in police situations and how they handle it. To be honest I'm sure that's how I looked when I was in the academy.

I'm also not naive enough to think the thread will go smoothly without any trolling or uneccessary replies but I figure I'd give it a shot. Just trying to help. Ask away and I'll make an honest attempt to answer it as best I can. That being said, I can only answer for my department really as different agencies/departments have different policies/procedures.

ABOUT ME (so you have an idea)
I'm in my early 30's
I work for a police department in Southern California
I'm Asian
Been a cop for 5 years
Been on NT since about 2001 (Yes I have another account on NT)

UPDATE:
I'm answering questions in the exact order they were asked/posted. Done through page 3. I'll get through more of them later.
Where do you police at? I'm one as well been in for 3 years now love everything about it. Disregard I just now finished reading everything but stay safe in Cali I'm sure your pay is wayyyyyy better than mine lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom