Aspiring Artists might wanna read: 360 deal vs. Traditional deal

Originally Posted by cartune

And yes Jay's deal is a regular 360 deal he's independent as in he makes his own decisions but he has Live Nation paying for all his expenses. Everytime you see him on a major sporting event or hear his music on ESPN its because of Live Nation. Every movie release that plays Run this town or ESOM Live Nation either pays for it or gets paid for it. Jay every quarter gets a check of the difference. Thats why he probably hasnt been able to push his other artist yet because he still owes Live money for his project. When you see he signed that 100 mill deal thats not all his money thats his bidget. Thats why he's at the world series thats why he's at the super bowl that's why his songs got hella air play, thats why he gets hella air time on the grammy's because he got a gotdamn movie budget.

Now of course his name is already big thats why they took that big of a risk with him because he's Jay Z. They wouldnt invest 100 mill in a Travis Porter or Roscoe Dash. So Big buzz dont necessarily equal dollars. Drake could have already have had a million fans ready to purchase his album. But how is he going to get the albums duplicated and packaged? How was he going to get it sent it to all the stores across North America? Paying all that plus marketing cost millions of dollars even if Drake had that to spend on himself at the best he would probably just get his money back. Where as a label handles all that and maybe gets a percentage of your album sales. Madonna signed a similar 360 deal as Jay. These are big artist so labels are risking more money but the artist are getting raped just the same but they have a higher potential of making more money than the "ATL rapper used in the example".

jay's deal with live nation is NOT a 'regular 360 deal'. (it's $152 million deal, after all.)

if you'd like me to explain why, in detail, feel free to post a reply.

This just proves making it aint really making it for a lot of these artists. There's a vast difference in being signed now and 10 years ago.

If you looking for a traditional deal with a major seems you gonna have to be an extra special case.

either be really really good

and willing to work really really hard

for very very little for a long time

or go to college and get a day job

thats how i see it

Originally Posted by YoungAnakin

work hard and you can make a lot of money through a 360 deal (i.e. soulja boy).

Soulja Boy didnt sign a 360 deal.

Jay Z just signed a 360 deal with Live Nation...Boss? not really
nerd.gif
Jay makes some smart move but he isn't the genius everyone thinks he is...

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

Originally Posted by YoungAnakin

work hard and you can make a lot of money through a 360 deal (i.e. soulja boy).

Soulja Boy didnt sign a 360 deal.

Jay Z just signed a 360 deal with Live Nation...Boss? not really
nerd.gif
Jay makes some smart move but he isn't the genius everyone thinks he is...

Who considers Jay a genius? I mean I for one respect his business sense but I rarely hear him brought up as a "genius". More compliments that come to Jay are about his skills on the mic.

Labels will always find ways to rape the artists.
Right or wrong doesn’t matter in this instance, because whatever carrot the labels dangle there will always be someone willing to bite.
.....and that's why.

Can someone school me on the Artist Development Contract? I recently talked to my stepdad and he told me if I plan to get serious with this then I should NEVER agree to this contract, can someone shed light on this please?

Originally Posted by y0ung j33zy

Can someone school me on the Artist Development Contract? I recently talked to my stepdad and he told me if I plan to get serious with this then I should NEVER agree to this contract, can someone shed light on this please?

isnt that what wiz had?

fac3 tak30v312 wrote:
Yeah but in the two examples I listed they already had a pretty big buzz and atleast I know in Paramore's case they were already doing sold out coast to coast tours, not on the scale they are doing now but that really wasn't that outside of the realm of what they already doing
Honestly in this day and age of youtube stars what other choice do they have (meaning artists) ... We could all smoke that pipe dream of the perfect indy artist but too many cats want to buy in instead of standing out alone

Also I doubt that Jay-Z's deal is the same as some the deals being mentioned here

Anyways something that really caught my eye was them taking money out of your tv/movie money so say if you're a young Will Smith you gotta pay your movie agent, your publicist, acting coach etc and off the top you gotta pay YOUR label (20-30%) of that Fresh Prince money .. so what about if you haven't delivered the required amount of cds or whatever else is required under your contract but instead became a Tv/Movie star you're telling me you gotta give the label a cut before anyone else even though technically you're not really a music star anymore or at least right now.

Well I mentioned this in the other thread. Its actually beneficial. Because there will always be a ceiling if youre doing it independent. There are doors you just cant open without a labels help or a labels backing. You cant go on major tours without a labels investment of 100s of thousands of dollars. You cant go on a successful press release without a label cosigning and paying radios to interview you. You cant have eye catching videos witout a label. Street teams, internet marketing, etc.

Icecube went gold 100% independently so it can happen.

Originally Posted by rocyaice

Who considers Jay a genius? I mean I for one respect his business sense but I rarely hear him brought up as a "genius". More compliments that come to Jay are about his skills on the mic.
I mean, he has made more money than anyone in Hip-Hop basically...Everyone basically praised him for it.  "I'm not a businessman, I'ma business MAN."

And I actually believe he really doesn't had that great a business acumen.  Dame and Biggs were really the one pulling the major strings when Roc got poppin

Originally Posted by AKA King Arthur

thats how i see it
or be willing to do it for just "da love"

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by rocyaice

I mean, he has made more money than anyone in Hip-Hop basically...Everyone basically praised him for it.  "I'm not a businessman, I'ma business MAN."

And I actually believe he really doesn't had that great a business acumen.  Dame and Biggs were really the one pulling the major strings when Roc got poppin
You may be right since losing Hov what has Biggs and Dame actually done? Dame has had a couple of businesses and record labels close. I can't really speak for what Biggs has done. I see he has some executive production credits in low budget flicks. Aside from that i'm not too sure what he's doing either.

Saw a lot of 360 deals when I was interning at Universal. Don't know why any artist would agree to that. Reminds me of the subprime mortgage crisis. Only a matter of time before things implode. The recording industry is due for a major overhaul.

Originally Posted by AKA King Arthur

thats how i see it
co-sign.

there's other ways around these deals but only certain dudes done figured it out. The rest of em just tryna get signed to majors as an straight up ARTIST. You'd be an idiot to try that nowadays.

I know this one dude who just got signed to Atlantic, and has a slave deal. He's happy he got that deal and the crazy advance but the terms in his contract are beyond slave treatment. Some dudes just want to run around to say "i got a deal, do you?"
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom