Banned/recalled/controversial shoes

nikeblazerleworldbfreec.jpg

[h1]World B. Free Suing Nike Over Shoe Named Without His Say-So[/h1]
Charles Toutant
New Jersey Law Journal
May 12, 2009

Former NBA star World B. Free is suing Nike for marketing a commemorative basketball shoe in his name without his permission.

The former Philadelphia 76ers point guard alleges Nike's planned June 12 rollout appears timed to take attention away from an eponymous line of shoesand clothing launched this month by a small German company, K1X, with the athlete'sauthorization.

The suit was filed on April 27 in Camden County Superior Court, seeking damages and injunctive relief for alleged violations of New Jersey's Consumer Fraud Act. Also named as defendants are Sole Collector, a sneakers magazine that ran a blurb about Nike's product in March, and Nick DePaula, a principal ofthe magazine.

Free's lawyer says big corporations often claim the First Amendment gives them the right to unauthorized commercial use of an individual's image."There's a whole attitude that they have the right to come out with these products," says Timothy McIlwain of McKenna & McIlwain in Montclair. "They're trying to killoff the right to publicity by saying it's free expression."

The plaintiff, born Lloyd Bernard Free, changed his name to World B. Free in 1980 as part of a campaign for peace and tranquility. Known for takinghigh-risk shots and yelling "hot soup" when scoring on opponents, he played with the Philadelphia 76ers, Cleveland Cavaliers, San Diego Clippers,Golden State Warriors and Houston Rockets over a 14-year career from 1975 to 1988.

A Cherry Hill, N.J., resident, he now works in community relations for the 76ers.

None of the defendants have answered. Nike spokesman Kejuan Wilkins did not respond after asking a reporter to submit questions in writing. DePaula did notreturn a phone message.

Originally Posted by nkwu11

Originally Posted by jw air

^ the didnt ...they pulled it because people starting calling them that

They DID.
laugh.gif
It was obviously NOT supposed to be known as "Heaven Gate Dunks" and the inspiration wasn't supposed to be made public (if it was then nike has some stupid individuals working for them)...but the rider who collaborated and what not to get the colour done was interviewed by some shoe site and he let everyone know the reasoning behind the shoes colours
laugh.gif
needless to say everyone started calling them heaven's gate and they HAD to be recalled...

on the shoe, it appears kinda like the purple is over the black like a blanket seriously
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NY GIANTS 11

These werent recalled - Penny painted them black to match the NBA uniform rule
Yea, i originally stated they were "kind of" controversial because the NBA threatened to fine Penny due to the all blue away shoe sothats why he provided the pics.

^^^^ the Air Stabs were Recalled because in Europe Thiefs and Bandits were mugging, holding up Stores and ppl and some of the thiefs will actually Stab thevictim and then run away in the Nike Air stab soo then Nike pulled the sneakers from some places in europe

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

Originally Posted by NY GIANTS 11

These werent recalled - Penny painted them black to match the NBA uniform rule
Yea, i originally stated they were "kind of" controversial because the NBA threatened to fine Penny due to the all blue away shoe so thats why he provided the pics.

Ahh my fault.

Wow. Crazy thread, haven't been on here in awhile but to see all this makes me feel like a kid again. Besides, that "bacon" comment washilarious.

and another one
[h1]So Shoe Me -- Van Halen Takes Nike to Court[/h1]
Posted Jun 16th 2009 12:30PM by TMZ Staff

Eddie Van Halen claims Nike is guilty of walking all over him -- by saying the shoe giant jacked his trademarked black, white and red design for a new line of sneakers.

0616eddienikegettyapbs.jpg

ELVH Inc. -- Eddie's company -- filed a federal lawsuit against Nike last week, laced with allegations of copyright infringement. The suit claims a series of designs Eddie trademarked -- designs which have prominently been displayed on his guitars since 1978 -- were lifted by Nike without his consent.

The suit is not only seeking monetary retribution -- it also calls for "the impoundment and destruction of all footwear."

Filed under: Celebrity Justice

http://www.tmz.com/category/celebrity-justice/

The LA Gear Catapults that Karl Malone wore I think were also banned because of light that blinked when you walked in them.
eek.gif
laugh.gif
pics? if anyone can find that (him wearing it on court)

I remember the Bakins that was funny!!! Question to those old enough wasnt the original low 13's recalled due to the placement of the metal jumpman cuttingpeople???

Cool thread....we need more of this on Niketalk and less teenage angst and whining

HUGE STONEFACE

wow this thread is pretty interesting....some nice facts and things i never knew about..like the Bakins and wat not

Back
Top Bottom