Being a minimalist

I'm not becoming one but more curious of the lifestyle of those that made the change or grew up in that type of lifestyle.

How long did it for you to fully commit?
Was it a lot for you to give up?
Was you in a relationship when you made the decision and did it affect your partner?
How much many did you save in the long run?
Did you say F it?
Was it to save money for other luxuries?
Is this just a new trendy lifestyle like living in a micro apartment?

I became a minimalist in college when I was flat broke and didn't have enough time to have a job. Made due with what I had, worked like hell in the summer and winter breaks and made it stretch. Im thankful and humbled by the experience and its stuck with me ever since.

how about rich but being a minimalist? from clothes, cars, etc. Buying brand name and high end stuff, but still looking chill

Renovated my house this year..and once I packed most of my ****..came into a realization that I had so much **** that I didn't need..

What I did was I first bought a bunch of storage bins from Home Depot and threw most of my possessions in there..then once the rooms in my house were complete..I separated what I will need (essentials..which consisted of work/gym clothes..other items used daily) and anything else stayed in the storage bins

TBH it feels great not having a bunch of crap in plain view also knowing that they are nicely stores away in an organized manner..prior to that stuff was literally all over the place..they say the appeal to minimalism is that with less possessions..u have less things to worry about..feeling 'liberated'..and I have to admit that this is true

For example..if ur wardrobe only consists of:black/white/grey/blue shirts and u have one or two pairs of khakis/two pairs of jeans/few pairs of shoes ..u have a limited amount to choose from..which may free up any anxiety associated with getting ready for work/get togethers/gym etc..that was just an example

Another great thing about having less items is that when u have to clean ur house..it literally takes minutes..minimalistic-style is aesthetically pleasing ..look up minimalist homes and see how clean/stylish everything is..I would def say I'm more of a noob minimalist of anything..but ppl take it a little to serious and they will judge and say "that's not minimalist" to all lot of things whereas IDGAF if ppl are minimal or wannabes or not

Have you checked out the Minimalism documentary on Netflix?
It's pretty interesting, I say give it a go

the one where they hug people instead of shaking hands? yeah, that was a waste of time.

props to them for making a business out of it tho.

how about rich but being a minimalist? from clothes, cars, etc. Buying brand name and high end stuff, but still looking chill

I recommend this book.

998.jpg

It's crazy. I want to shed the mentality I have about material things and my connection to them, moreso than the materials themselves.

To clarify, I know and feel it's stupid to always care about how I look. But it's embedded in my fiber. I feel the better I dress/look the better people will treat you.

The racism I have received have sort of shaped my perspective into this mentality.

I hope with age and wisdom I will disburden this train of thought.

I know/know of so many rich people who don't floss anything and have this sense of peace of mind I don't have. Money does that I guess.

Planning on eventually going this route with a couple of graphic tees here and there.

looking like an NPC. :lol:

nah, but I see the appeal of a minimalist lifestyle as far as lack of attachment to material things and displays of consumption.

I recently lost at least 10 years worth of clothes--25+ pairs of sneakers, hoodies, jackets, jerseys--in a moving shuffle and I'm not as bothered by it as I imagined I might be.

now, I still like **** that I think looks cool, so I'm working on building up another wardrobe and I generally buy as much cool looking **** as I can fit into a medium-size Mexican apartment.

the only things I would be truly crushed to lose are my art pieces. well, and my laptop I guess.

I suppose I'm a non-practicing minimalist.

I hate clutter. If you don't use something, get rid of it. I could move out in 5 minutes.

People define minimalism differently but the important thing is to de-clutter. You can still buy nice things but the important thing is that you make good use of it. It has to mean something to you.

Worst thing I gave up in the name of minimalism was my CD collection. Forgot to catalog it so I could revisit later and now there's a ton of music I'll probably never remember again.

'theres only so much a man needs in life, the rest is for showing off' -Forrest Gump

If I were wealthy, I still think i'ld have a pretty modest lifestyle. When I see outrageous closets the size of apartments or multiple cars, it just comes off as so excessive. Seems like it takes away from life.

Is it even possible to be a minimalist and a sneakerhead at the same time? That's the only thing I have an abundance of.

The past few years I've been trying to go the minimalist route, ridding myself of junk/clothes/sneakers/misc. items I no longer use on a daily basis. The feeling of decluttering and cleaning is very therapeutic to me, however, I go through swings of excess purchasing which kind of lead me back to square one.

I was hell-bent on having a wardrobe like the one posted above, but after a few months I became bored wearing the same basic items over and over again - it felt like I was wearing someone else's clothes for the sake of "having less". It just wasn't me; didn't make me happy.

I've come to learn that minimalism isn't necessarily the amount of items or things you have, but rather using and enjoying the things you have to the fullest.

Back
Top Bottom