Black Friday 2013 Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody point me in the direction of the best laptop deal? I don't need anything spectacular. Just looking for something cheap.

Somebody point me in the direction of the best laptop deal? I don't need anything spectacular. Just looking for something cheap.

That is a pretty vague question. What is considered "best" to you as far as price goes? There are a zillion options out there as far as memory, ram, brand goes.

That is a pretty vague question. What is considered "best" to you as far as price goes? There are a zillion options out there as far as memory, ram, brand goes.
That's just the thing. I don't know a lot about computers. I don't need a lot out of it. Just surf the net and type a paper or 2. Somewhere in the sub $300 range. I've been looking into getting a chromebook.

Last edited:
That's just the thing. I don't know a lot about computers. I don't need a lot out of it. Just surf the net and type a paper or 2. Somewhere in the sub $300 range. I've been looking into getting a chromebook.

keep an eye out on slickdeals. Check out the BB and walmart ads they might have something that will interest you.

I'm looking for around a 42" 1080p 60hz/120hz HDTV around black Friday for a good price, but I'm gonna try online. I've had bad experiences camping out trying to get those "doorbuster" deals
mean.gif

I've been unfortunate to have done the Black Friday deal and it is hands down, one of the worst experiences you can go through. The fighting, pushing, shoving, getting stepped on, 3 hour lines to pay, getting asked every 5 seconds by someone to get a laptop for them. Don't care what kind of "deal" they're having, it's not worth it.

I've been unfortunate to have done the Black Friday deal and it is hands down, one of the worst experiences you can go through. The fighting, pushing, shoving, getting stepped on, 3 hour lines to pay, getting asked every 5 seconds by someone to get a laptop for them. Don't care what kind of "deal" they're having, it's not worth it.
this.

did the black friday thing a few years back with my bro cause we wanted to upgrade tv's. The sought after deal was a 42" Sharp LED.I waited in line from thursday morning til midnight. i showed up to line up and there were about 15-20 ppl ahead of me and then my brother joined me later in the day. believe me when i say those 15-20 ppl ahead of me soon turned into 40-50. as time got closer to when they would open all their friends and family began to show up. jimmies were rustled immediately. luckily for us my brother is a big dude so, we didnt really allow those immediately in front of us to get away with that ish, especially those who were arriving within that 11:00pm hour. in the end we muscled our way into the first 20 or so. copped a ticket for 1 42" sharp led ( $199). i let my brother get the ticket as they ran out, although i did get tickets for a labtop and a camera but ended up trading them to another person for another tv ticket.i ended up copping a 32" samsung led for $300.  checking out was mayhem.  we basically got the tv;s and alternated standing in line while the other walked around the store looking for dvd's and other minor stuff we would like. 

Last edited:
Anyone order an internal hard drive during BF before? I need to fix my laptop but thinking I should just order one before so I can get exactly what I want.

last year or the year before I can't remember but bf3 as $29.99 so I went to Wal-Mart and it was hella packed. got lucky and still had full inventory of it. I grabbed one game and walked around came back people were literally jumping in the glass case for the last few copies. It was crazy and sad part about it I left my brother to check out. And it wasn't until 4 hours til he texted me to tell me he was on his wag home. So my advice to yall if you want a game that bad just order online because a couple dollars ain't worth the hassle.

I recently purchased the Acer C720 and I absolutely love it. Fast, wakes from sleep immediately, 8 hour battery life, zero complaints other than the keyboard is OK and the screen isn't as great, but it's perfectly usable. I don't think I'd get it if I didn't have a desktop already though, because you still might need it for some things. A good test for a Chromebook is try to spend a week or two using only Chrome and the Chrome Apps on your computer. Don't use anything else.. if you can easily get through the week, then it might be a good choice. It's a perfect 2nd computer and I wish I had it for college rather than that slow netbook I used :lol:

I recently purchased the Acer C720 and I absolutely love it. Fast, wakes from sleep immediately, 8 hour battery life, zero complaints other than the keyboard is OK and the screen isn't as great, but it's perfectly usable. I don't think I'd get it if I didn't have a desktop already though, because you still might need it for some things. A good test for a Chromebook is try to spend a week or two using only Chrome and the Chrome Apps on your computer. Don't use anything else.. if you can easily get through the week, then it might be a good choice. It's a perfect 2nd computer and I wish I had it for college rather than that slow netbook I used :lol:

Dont forget to install XFCE so you can play games and you have a Linux OS for when you need to do serious work. I plan to grab a C720 to replace my C710

so what's the consensus on where to pick up an external hard drive fellas? I'm looking for a 1 TB but I most likely won't be going out on black friday so I'm trying to find the best deal online.

Last edited:

Dont forget to install XFCE so you can play games and you have a Linux OS for when you need to do serious work. I plan to grab a C720 to replace my C710

I was going to mention that but figured if someone doesn't know much about computers, installing Linux would be too complicated.

But it seriously isn't that difficult. I did XFCE and didn't care for the design at all, so I put Unity on it today. I hated Unity at first but I grew accustomed to it and I'd really only need it for a couple of things. But yeah.. the speed of the Chromebook and the possibilities of Linux on one machine for 250... I love it. Asus announced they'll be making an 11in and 13in Chromebook early next year too.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/14/asus-chromebook-smartphone-wearable-launch/

But I wanted a Chromebook for awhile and love the C720

Man I want to pick up Batman and NBA 2k but the thought of having to go out @ 6pm on Thanksgiving to fight crowds after grubbing just rubs me the wrong way. I may pass.

I'm praying that since I'll be in the south, Alma, Arkansas, that there will be little to no crowd so I can grab 2K and keep it moving unless the wife wants something.

I was going to mention that but figured if someone doesn't know much about computers, installing Linux would be too complicated.

But it seriously isn't that difficult. I did XFCE and didn't care for the design at all, so I put Unity on it today. I hated Unity at first but I grew accustomed to it and I'd really only need it for a couple of things. But yeah.. the speed of the Chromebook and the possibilities of Linux on one machine for 250... I love it. Asus announced they'll be making an 11in and 13in Chromebook early next year too.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/14/asus-chromebook-smartphone-wearable-launch/

But I wanted a Chromebook for awhile and love the C720

Can you switch back and forth between Unity and ChromeOS like XFCE or you choose at boot? I like XFCE because of the all in one. It works great once you get Chromium and Ubuntu Software Center installed

Yeah, I think so long as you use crouton you can use whatever Linux distro you want and switch immediately. I'm able to use the key combo and switch back and forth between the two without issue. I haven't used it for long, but from what I've read Unity runs very well and smooth.

A Chromebook is the perfect secondary computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom