BLACK HISTORY MONTH THREAD

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Apologetic? C'mon bro. I don't have anything to be sorry for.
laugh.gif
You're not el-hajj malik el-shabazz either. If you want to join a revolution, go to Egypt. The facts are that injustices happened. As in, PAST TENSE. Not to you and not to me.
As for your history lesson up there.. take your newly discovered revolutionary dashiki wearing #$# outta here. There are people all over the world being oppressed. Some by their own people! Are the blood diamonds not an example? Just because a man comes to your school and tells you about his situation doesn't mean that you have to jump on his wagon. It doesn't make you an expert either. It's wonderful to believe in things and help people but their race shouldn't be a factor in deciding. If it's your homeland then move back. What are you doing here? Funny-style dudes.

eek.gif
how do you know who I am? The real fact is those past injustices sill haven't been paid for. Look at blacks in the United States right now and they're still in the rut. The same goes for blacks and colored people across the world. Like you just said.

But because you have lived a life of material comfort your biased against the worldwide workers revolution. It's not about race. But race plays a huge role in our social consciousness and your only lying to yourself if you state otherwise. Look at the true nature of this country and we're supposed to progress, when the government isn't functioning properly it's our job to form a collective that functions to rid of them and their greedy corporations.

You can tell I hit a nerve with you. Those dashiki wearing dudes have been talking about these days for a while, and guess what? They're here! The era of crooked prosperity is over. You and I are just as capable of any politician of governing our land. Stop watching from the bench like it's out of your control....their power is derived from keeping the collective in a state of fragmentation. 

I'm not trying to make myself an expert, I can only apply my self to the situation and how I understand it.
eyes.gif

why are you acknowledging that dude
30t6p3b.gif
 when you have to explain something like insitutionalized racism to someone you know you're losing the battle. Black people have come a long way but racism and segregation are still very much a part of American culture.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Apologetic? C'mon bro. I don't have anything to be sorry for.
laugh.gif
You're not el-hajj malik el-shabazz either. If you want to join a revolution, go to Egypt. The facts are that injustices happened. As in, PAST TENSE. Not to you and not to me.
As for your history lesson up there.. take your newly discovered revolutionary dashiki wearing #$# outta here. There are people all over the world being oppressed. Some by their own people! Are the blood diamonds not an example? Just because a man comes to your school and tells you about his situation doesn't mean that you have to jump on his wagon. It doesn't make you an expert either. It's wonderful to believe in things and help people but their race shouldn't be a factor in deciding. If it's your homeland then move back. What are you doing here? Funny-style dudes.

eek.gif
how do you know who I am? The real fact is those past injustices sill haven't been paid for. Look at blacks in the United States right now and they're still in the rut. The same goes for blacks and colored people across the world. Like you just said.

But because you have lived a life of material comfort your biased against the worldwide workers revolution. It's not about race. But race plays a huge role in our social consciousness and your only lying to yourself if you state otherwise. Look at the true nature of this country and we're supposed to progress, when the government isn't functioning properly it's our job to form a collective that functions to rid of them and their greedy corporations.

You can tell I hit a nerve with you. Those dashiki wearing dudes have been talking about these days for a while, and guess what? They're here! The era of crooked prosperity is over. You and I are just as capable of any politician of governing our land. Stop watching from the bench like it's out of your control....their power is derived from keeping the collective in a state of fragmentation. 

I'm not trying to make myself an expert, I can only apply my self to the situation and how I understand it.
eyes.gif

why are you acknowledging that dude
30t6p3b.gif
 when you have to explain something like insitutionalized racism to someone you know you're losing the battle. Black people have come a long way but racism and segregation are still very much a part of American culture.

Once again, a thread that had great promise and then derailed due to ignorance 
30t6p3b.gif
. I read about the first four pages and I'm not shocked at those who are dismissive about Black History Month and the idea of celebrating historic Black achievement. It happens all the time whenever historic Black achievement is discussed. I can't how people want to selectively discount parts of history or downplay certain history when it doesn't suit their argument or point of view. Those that tried to minimize the celebration of Black History month have no clue about history or it's lasting effects. It is this very reason why I say that race threads of any sort on this message board is dangerous. Lately, people have been getting WAY out of hand with the comments, and judging from the comments, you can almost tell who is who and what their thought process is. My thing is, just know the basic rules of history, it's subjective, and the more you read, the more truth you'll find that is not told to you in school. And in terms of Black contribution, we are an integral part of the construction of the U.S. Go check on Benjamin Banneker.......

Also on a side note, to those teachers that are teaching their students "Black History" by teaching music, in my opinion, it's not a bad thing because it is important, but children need to be taught other things about Black History other than just the musical component. There is so much other history about business owners and professionals. Kids' thought pattern would be Muddy Waters--->BB King-->James Brown-->Stevie Wonder--->Michael Jackson--> Lil Wayne & Jay Z. And so much is lost when the focus is on music
30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif
. I read about the first four pages and I'm not shocked at those who are dismissive about Black History Month and the idea of celebrating historic Black achievement. It happens all the time whenever historic Black achievement is discussed. I can't how people want to selectively discount parts of history or downplay certain history when it doesn't suit their argument or point of view. Those that tried to minimize the celebration of Black History month have no clue about history or it's lasting effects. It is this very reason why I say that race threads of any sort on this message board is dangerous. Lately, people have been getting WAY out of hand with the comments, and judging from the comments, you can almost tell who is who and what their thought process is. My thing is, just know the basic rules of history, it's subjective, and the more you read, the more truth you'll find that is not told to you in school. And in terms of Black contribution, we are an integral part of the construction of the U.S. Go check on Benjamin Banneker.......

Also on a side note, to those teachers that are teaching their students "Black History" by teaching music, in my opinion, it's not a bad thing because it is important, but children need to be taught other things about Black History other than just the musical component. There is so much other history about business owners and professionals. Kids' thought pattern would be Muddy Waters--->BB King-->James Brown-->Stevie Wonder--->Michael Jackson--> Lil Wayne & Jay Z. And so much is lost when the focus is on music
30t6p3b.gif

This should be called happy BlackaMoor month but some still want to go under brand names that europeans use to steal our birth rights. My Moorish Indigenous brothers and sisters know the truth

This should be called happy BlackaMoor month but some still want to go under brand names that europeans use to steal our birth rights. My Moorish Indigenous brothers and sisters know the truth

Can't wait till this Documentary is Released. Im so glad I was able to contribute and be a part of it

Can't wait till this Documentary is Released. Im so glad I was able to contribute and be a part of it

Originally Posted by beh235

30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif
Black history is strategically taught in school. I don't care what anybody says.
We are taught to praise King and shun others like X and the Panthers as being radicals and extremists. 

Teaching music through Black history is a way to make youth strive at being musicians/artists and not business owners/politicians/lawyers/doctors/teachers.

Originally Posted by beh235

30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif
Black history is strategically taught in school. I don't care what anybody says.
We are taught to praise King and shun others like X and the Panthers as being radicals and extremists. 

Teaching music through Black history is a way to make youth strive at being musicians/artists and not business owners/politicians/lawyers/doctors/teachers.

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

Originally Posted by MARTIN AND CO

warhol-jean-michel-basquiat-1982-polaroid.jpg

The most significant black painter in history, and again, one of my favorites -- black or otherwise

[h3]Biography[/h3]
[size=+1]J[/size]ean-Michel Basquiat was born on December 22, 1960 in Brooklyn, New York.  His father, Gerard Basquiat was born in Port-au-Prince, Haiti and his mother, Matilde was born in Brooklyn of Puerto Rican parents. Early on, Basquiat displayed a proficiency in art which was encouraged by his mother. In 1977, Basquiat, along with friend Al Diaz begins spray painting cryptic aphorisms on subway trains and around lower Manhattan and signing them with the name SAMO[size=-1][emoji]169[/emoji][/size]  (Same Old !$@$).  "SAMO[size=-1][emoji]169[/emoji][/size] as an end to mindwash religion, nowhere politics, and bogus philosophy," "SAMO[size=-1][emoji]169[/emoji][/size] saves idiots," "Plush safe he think; SAMO[size=-1][emoji]169[/emoji][/size] ."

[size=+1]I[/size]n 1978 Basquiat left home for good and quit school just one year before graduating form high school. He lived with  friends and began selling hand painted postcards and T-shirts.  In June of 1980, Basquiat's art was publicly exhibited for the first time in a show sponsored by Colab (Collaborative Projects Incorporated) along with the work of Jenny Holzer, Lee Quinones, Kenny Scharf, Kiki Smith, Robin Winters, John Ahearn, Jane Dickson, Mike Glier, Mimi Gross, and David Hammons. Basquiat continued to exhibit his work around New York City and in Europe, participating in shows along with the likes of Keith Haring,Barbara Kruger

[size=+1]I[/size]n December of 1981, poet and artist Rene Ricard published the first major article on Basquiat entitled "The Radiant Child" in Artforum.  In 1982, Basquiat was featured in the group show "Transavanguardia: Italia/America" along with Neo-Expressionists Sandro Chia, Francesco Clemente, Enzu Cucchi, David Deutsch, David Salle, and Julian Schnabel (who will go on to direct the biographical film Basquiat in 1996). In 1983 Basquiat had one-artist exhibitions at the galleries of Annina Nosei and Larry Gagosian and was also included in the "1983 Biennial Exhibition" at the Whitney Museum of American Art. It was also in 1983 that Basquiat was befriended by Andy Warhol, a relationship which sparked discussion concerning white patronization of black art, a conflict which remains, to this day, at the center of most discussions of Basquiat's life and work. Basquiat and Warhol collaborated on a number of paintings, none of which are are critically acclaimed.  Their relationship continued, despite this, until Warhol's death in 1987. 

[size=+1]B[/size]y 1984, many of Basquiat's friends had become quite concerned about his excessive drug use, often finding him unkempt and in a state of paranoia.  Basquiat's paranoia was also fueled by the very real threat of people stealing work from his apartment and of art dealers taking unfinished work from his studio.  On February 10, 1985,  Basquiat appeared on the cover of The New York Times Magazine, posing for the Cathleen McGuigan article "New Art, New Money: The Marketing of an American Artist."  In March , Basquiat had his second one-artist show at the Mary Boone Gallery.  In the exhibition catalogue, Robert Farris Thompson spoke of Basquiat's work in terms of an Afro-Atlantic tradition, a context in which this art had never been discussed. 

[size=+1]I[/size]n 1986, Basquiat travelled to Africa for the first time and his work was shown in Abidjan, Ivory Coast. In November, a large exhibition of more than sixty paintings and drawings opened at the Kestner-Gesellschaft in Hannover; at twenty-five Basquiat was the youngest artist ever given an exhibition there. In 1988, Basquiat had shows in both Paris and New York; the New York show was praised by some critics, an encouraging development.  Basquiat attempted to kick his heroin addiction by leaving the temptations of New York for his ranch in Hawaii.  He returned to New York in June claiming to be drug-free.  On August 12 , Basquiat died as the result of a heroin overdose. He was 27. 
I just watched the documentary on him this morning. I'm 
ohwell.gif
 on his pieces but dude's work ethic, philosophies, subject matter, etc are appreciated
pimp.gif
This thread has delivered
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

Originally Posted by MARTIN AND CO

warhol-jean-michel-basquiat-1982-polaroid.jpg

The most significant black painter in history, and again, one of my favorites -- black or otherwise

[h3]Biography[/h3]
[size=+1]J[/size]ean-Michel Basquiat was born on December 22, 1960 in Brooklyn, New York.  His father, Gerard Basquiat was born in Port-au-Prince, Haiti and his mother, Matilde was born in Brooklyn of Puerto Rican parents. Early on, Basquiat displayed a proficiency in art which was encouraged by his mother. In 1977, Basquiat, along with friend Al Diaz begins spray painting cryptic aphorisms on subway trains and around lower Manhattan and signing them with the name SAMO[size=-1][emoji]169[/emoji][/size]  (Same Old !$@$).  "SAMO[size=-1][emoji]169[/emoji][/size] as an end to mindwash religion, nowhere politics, and bogus philosophy," "SAMO[size=-1][emoji]169[/emoji][/size] saves idiots," "Plush safe he think; SAMO[size=-1][emoji]169[/emoji][/size] ."

[size=+1]I[/size]n 1978 Basquiat left home for good and quit school just one year before graduating form high school. He lived with  friends and began selling hand painted postcards and T-shirts.  In June of 1980, Basquiat's art was publicly exhibited for the first time in a show sponsored by Colab (Collaborative Projects Incorporated) along with the work of Jenny Holzer, Lee Quinones, Kenny Scharf, Kiki Smith, Robin Winters, John Ahearn, Jane Dickson, Mike Glier, Mimi Gross, and David Hammons. Basquiat continued to exhibit his work around New York City and in Europe, participating in shows along with the likes of Keith Haring,Barbara Kruger

[size=+1]I[/size]n December of 1981, poet and artist Rene Ricard published the first major article on Basquiat entitled "The Radiant Child" in Artforum.  In 1982, Basquiat was featured in the group show "Transavanguardia: Italia/America" along with Neo-Expressionists Sandro Chia, Francesco Clemente, Enzu Cucchi, David Deutsch, David Salle, and Julian Schnabel (who will go on to direct the biographical film Basquiat in 1996). In 1983 Basquiat had one-artist exhibitions at the galleries of Annina Nosei and Larry Gagosian and was also included in the "1983 Biennial Exhibition" at the Whitney Museum of American Art. It was also in 1983 that Basquiat was befriended by Andy Warhol, a relationship which sparked discussion concerning white patronization of black art, a conflict which remains, to this day, at the center of most discussions of Basquiat's life and work. Basquiat and Warhol collaborated on a number of paintings, none of which are are critically acclaimed.  Their relationship continued, despite this, until Warhol's death in 1987. 

[size=+1]B[/size]y 1984, many of Basquiat's friends had become quite concerned about his excessive drug use, often finding him unkempt and in a state of paranoia.  Basquiat's paranoia was also fueled by the very real threat of people stealing work from his apartment and of art dealers taking unfinished work from his studio.  On February 10, 1985,  Basquiat appeared on the cover of The New York Times Magazine, posing for the Cathleen McGuigan article "New Art, New Money: The Marketing of an American Artist."  In March , Basquiat had his second one-artist show at the Mary Boone Gallery.  In the exhibition catalogue, Robert Farris Thompson spoke of Basquiat's work in terms of an Afro-Atlantic tradition, a context in which this art had never been discussed. 

[size=+1]I[/size]n 1986, Basquiat travelled to Africa for the first time and his work was shown in Abidjan, Ivory Coast. In November, a large exhibition of more than sixty paintings and drawings opened at the Kestner-Gesellschaft in Hannover; at twenty-five Basquiat was the youngest artist ever given an exhibition there. In 1988, Basquiat had shows in both Paris and New York; the New York show was praised by some critics, an encouraging development.  Basquiat attempted to kick his heroin addiction by leaving the temptations of New York for his ranch in Hawaii.  He returned to New York in June claiming to be drug-free.  On August 12 , Basquiat died as the result of a heroin overdose. He was 27. 
I just watched the documentary on him this morning. I'm 
ohwell.gif
 on his pieces but dude's work ethic, philosophies, subject matter, etc are appreciated
pimp.gif
This thread has delivered
pimp.gif

Shout out to Bobby Hemmitt, Dr. Phil Valentine, Umar Johnson, Steve Cokely, and Shahrazad Ali for giving us the true meaning of Black History!!!...

Shout out to Bobby Hemmitt, Dr. Phil Valentine, Umar Johnson, Steve Cokely, and Shahrazad Ali for giving us the true meaning of Black History!!!...

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

My hero....weird referring to him as Black "History" cause dude is very much alive, young and active.
I had a teacher that said he studied right next door to this man. Ben Carson is such a positive influence on younger black people that's taking the science route in college.

I still have to purchase his gifted hands book.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
nice post.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

My hero....weird referring to him as Black "History" cause dude is very much alive, young and active.
I had a teacher that said he studied right next door to this man. Ben Carson is such a positive influence on younger black people that's taking the science route in college.

I still have to purchase his gifted hands book.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
nice post.

Originally Posted by airmissionretro

pimp.gif
  Shalom brother

Originally Posted by airmissionretro

pimp.gif
  Shalom brother

Back
Top Bottom