Black Monday VOL: Mort: Andy Reid to KC, Chip Kelly to Cle?

Marvin is one of those coaches that will get you to respectability, but I wonder if he's a guy that can win a Super Bowl as a head coach.

What teams has he had that should've been Super Bowl teams, or anything of the sort? Post 2005 Palmer wasn't taking them to a SB, and the offense wasn't rejuvenated until last year when it was led by 2 rookies. I'm not completely behind Marvin myself in the future, but the comments of him not being able to get to a SB are overblown. When has he had a SB squad is my question? He hasn't pulled and Schottenheimer or Andy Reid type of choke jobs on teams with high expectations.

That's just the point...He's had many "teams." His window so far as a head coach has been a long one for the Bengals and his high point has been just above mediocrity (10 years = 0 playoff wins). You should be able to build on what you've accomplished and get better. Marvin Lewis' teams have not done that. Some blame can go to the front office as well, but 10 years with a team should definitely yield a playoff win...More likely way more than that.

If anything...This is his last hurrah.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that you're well-versed in the ineptitude of the Bengals Front Office, which has been stubbornly headed by Mike Brown to no avail for many years. Marvin Lewis took a stand after the 4-12 season (when his contract was up) and was able to gain more control of personnel decisions and even able to get more scouts added to the NFL's smallest scouting department. Do you think that it is coincidental that he was given more control and more FO expertise and that resulted in back to back playoff appearances, along with the Bengals KILLING the draft for the last 2 years? Cincinnati is a unique situation, and I understand what you're getting at, but as someone who has followed the team I think that there are things that people who don't just won't understand.

That's just the point...He's had many "teams." His window so far as a head coach has been a long one for the Bengals and his high point has been just above mediocrity (10 years = 0 playoff wins). You should be able to build on what you've accomplished and get better. Marvin Lewis' teams have not done that. Some blame can go to the front office as well, but 10 years with a team should definitely yield a playoff win...More likely way more than that.

If anything...This is his last hurrah.
I see what you and others are getting at but how committed is the Bengals front office and other teams in the NFL front office's committed to actually winning the Super Bowl??  Before you have a coach that is viewed as "a guy that can win a Super Bowl as a head coach" you must have a front office that wants to win a Super Bowl.  It's start from the top champ.

All points which make me reiterate the job he has done with the drafting of players. It's really impressive, I can imagine the job he'd do in the front office of a competent organization. If Ozzie wasn't so good I'd see him back in Balt. Heck if Colbert doesn't hit on more picks maybe Pitt. But his in game coaching decisions leaves a lot to be desired. We shall see though, I'm curious if Zimmer gets a gig after this year

Marvin has made some piss poor choices but look at what he has been able to do. He's partially responsible for helping Mike Brown change. He's good in my books. For now.

Chiefs have fired GM Scott Pioli. Translation: Paving the way for Andy Reid's arrival. Filed to ESPN.

Bengals have had like early first round picks the past 15 years minus a couple playoff seasons. I remember last year experts saying we had the most talented team in the L. I don't think Marvin can tap talent very well not to mention his coordinators > him

I'm not sure that you're well-versed in the ineptitude of the Bengals Front Office, which has been stubbornly headed by Mike Brown to no avail for many years. Marvin Lewis took a stand after the 4-12 season (when his contract was up) and was able to gain more control of personnel decisions and even able to get more scouts added to the NFL's smallest scouting department. Do you think that it is coincidental that he was given more control and more FO expertise and that resulted in back to back playoff appearances, along with the Bengals KILLING the draft for the last 2 years? Cincinnati is a unique situation, and I understand what you're getting at, but as someone who has followed the team I think that there are things that people who don't just won't understand.
Totally agree with this, it seems like he's found the best consistency he can when he's up against a lot because of Mike Brown.

Bengals have had like early first round picks the past 15 years minus a couple playoff seasons. I remember last year experts saying we had the most talented team in the L. I don't think Marvin can tap talent very well not to mention his coordinators > him
roll.gif
At any expert saying that the Bengals had the most talented team in the L last year. With a rookie QB, Jerome Simpson as a starting WR, Nate Livings and Mike McGlynn playing G, Cedric Benson at RB? Please, show me that quote. Please. And the Bengals have picked early and been terrible before Marvin came. All the early (Top 10) picks under Marvin have "hit" besides Keith Rivers, but that entire first round was filled with a ton of misses in a weak draft. A lot of the propaganda that people spew is just wrong. He definitely leads a lot to be desired in regards to clock management and decision making, but this other stuff is just erroneous.

Jamaal Charles' carries next season are going to take a hit next season. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom