Buying a macbook pro.

Do you have a IPad or similar tablet OP?

If so, just get a entry level MBP! I find myself using my ipad more than my computer anyway.

Just my suggestion

SSD drives are worlds faster
Yessir.

I put my OS on the SSD instead of the HDD and my computer is miles ahead of what it used to be. I used to turn my computer on, then go grab a snack or something before I sit down to log in. I hit the power button now and Im at the sign in page in under 30 sec
Comps can be put to sleep, so that's initial speed in a non-issue for people who do that.
[table][tr][td]Attribute[/td][td]SSD (Solid State Drive)[/td][td]HDD (Hard Disk Drive)[/td][/tr][tr][td]Power Draw / Battery Life[/td][td]
shortcode-tick.png
Less power draw, averages 2 – 3 watts, resulting in 30+ minute battery boost
[/td][td]More power draw, averages 6 – 7 watts and therefore uses more battery[/td][/tr][tr][td]Cost[/td][td]Expensive, $1.00 per gigabyte (based on buying a 240GB drive)[/td][td]
shortcode-tick.png
Only around $0.075 per gigabyte, very cheap (buying a 4TB model)[/td][/tr][tr][td]Capacity[/td][td]Typically not larger than 512GB for notebook size drives[/td][td]
shortcode-tick.png
Typically 500GB – 2TB for notebook size drives[/td][/tr][tr][td]Operating System Boot Time[/td][td]
shortcode-tick.png
Around 22 seconds average bootup time[/td][td]Around 40 seconds average bootup time[/td][/tr][tr][td]Noise[/td][td]
shortcode-tick.png
There are no moving parts and as such no sound[/td][td]Audible clicks and spinning can be heard[/td][/tr][tr][td]Vibration[/td][td]
shortcode-tick.png
No vibration as there are no moving parts[/td][td]The spinning of the platters can sometimes result in vibration[/td][/tr][tr][td]Heat Produced[/td][td]
shortcode-tick.png
Lower power draw and no moving parts so little heat is produced[/td][td]HDD doesn’t produce much heat, but it will have a measurable amount more heat than an SSD due to moving parts and higher power draw[/td][/tr][tr][td]Failure Rate[/td][td]
shortcode-tick.png
Mean time between failure rate of 2.0 million hours[/td][td]Mean time between failure rate of 1.5 million hours[/td][/tr][tr][td]File Copy / Write Speed[/td][td]
shortcode-tick.png
Generally above 200 MB/s and up to 500 MB/s for cutting edge drives[/td][td]The range can be anywhere from 50 – 120MB / s[/td][/tr][tr][td]Encryption[/td][td]Full Disk Encryption (FDE)
shortcode-tick.png
Supported on some models[/td][td]
shortcode-tick.png
Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Supported on some models[/td][/tr][tr][td]File Opening Speed[/td][td]
shortcode-tick.png
Up to 30% faster than HDD[/td][td]Slower than SSD[/td][/tr][tr][td]Magnetism Affected?[/td][td]
shortcode-tick.png
An SSD is safe from any effects of magnetism[/td][td]Magnets can erase data[/td][/tr][/table]
I still don't understand how that's a deterrent. What's stopping the seller from robbing you during the second meeting?
Preventing a robbery isn't the point.

The point is to check if said product is LEGIT.

There is nothing stopping the seller from robbing said buyer on the 2nd meet up.

Unless he brought his friend.

One time I bought an iphone off of CL.

It SEEMED legit. Everything worked and the condition was good.

Me and the seller part ways.

Later on when I get home, I notice that after I put the iphone to sleep, the lock screen came on.

Okay whatever I thought, then it asked me for a password.

SON OF *****!

I did a restore which bypassed the password, so that's how I solved that problem.

Sellers will more than likely NOT state something about said product because they want to sell it asap.

That's what CL is for after all

I would have avoided that if I had ONLY met up to check out the product first, then met up again.

Also, it's not hard to set up a 2nd meeting.

All you have to do is meet up like 30min later or so, which isn't hard.

Last edited:
I will be using it for school. I am a business major but want to be able to edit photos from my dslr, as well as HD video without any hassle. Also, I want to be able to utilize it for music production as well as far as programs such as Reason and Serato.

You could buy 3 computers that will do all this for the price of one mbp.

If you are around a lot of artsy people, don't fall into that trap of buying an apple product to fit in.

Since Apple now use intel chips, the differences are pretty much in the materials of the laptop and gui (graphic user interface)

And if you currently don't own any of the software you are interested in, they are not cheap. Reason 7 is like 350.

Plus you say you are in college? don't ball out on the laptop. there's a lot of broke kids in school with $3000 laptops

Last edited:
but a macbook is actual quality and will last long...

in the almost 5 years in Oct ive had my macbook i probably would have went through 3-4 PC laptops...

SRS

this thing has been through a lot and till runs like new. explain that to me and A LOT of usuage

If you are around a lot of artsy people, don't fall into that trap of buying an apple product to fit in.

Since Apple now use intel chips, the differences are pretty much in the materials of the laptop and gui (graphic user interface)

And brand. I agree with all your original points. Your comment reminds me of a thread I started back in 2010. I asked NTers why they bought a Mac. There was really no substantial answers, so I just concluded that for a majority it was because of brand.

I still don't understand how that's a deterrent. What's stopping the seller from robbing you during the second meeting?

There is nothing stopping the seller from robbing said buyer on the 2nd meet up.

Later on when I get home, I notice that after I put the iphone to sleep, the lock screen came on.

SON OF *****!

I did a restore which bypassed the password, so that's how I solved that problem.

Sellers will more than likely NOT state something about said product because they want to sell it asap.

I would have avoided that if I had ONLY met up to check out the product first, then met up again.

Seems like a complete waste of time. Why can't you check this stuff out during the first meeting? Just seems completely unnecessary. 

And brand. I agree with all your original points. Your comment reminds me of a thread I started back in 2010. I asked NTers why they bought a Mac. There was really no substantial answers, so I just concluded that for a majority it was because of brand.
It's really not surprising.

Just look at mac commercials. They basically say, "you're cool if you own a mac and you're lame if you own a pc."

SON OF *****!

Seems like a complete waste of time. Why can't you check this stuff out during the first meeting? Just seems completely unnecessary. 
It would also be a waste of time to get said money to bring to the 1st meeting if the product wasn't what the seller said it would be.

To you the seller who only cares about getting paid, it's a waste of time.

But to smart buyers, it's a precaution.

If you are going to inspect the product during the first meeting, what's the point of not bringing the money with you? 

Like I said, it just seems like a complete waste of time for both the buyer and seller. 

Last edited:
If you are going to inspect the product out during the first meeting, what's the point of not bringing the money with you? 

Like I said, it just seems like a complete waste of time for both the buyer and seller. 
It's a precaution.

If need be, said seller and buyer could easily just meet up, then go to an atm.

You're making this seem like it's this long *** process.

Also the buyer could just keep the money locked in his glove box, then bring it out once he's seen the the product is legit.

Last edited:
Precaution from what tho? What reassurance are you adding by scheduling a second meet up?
I already told you.

It's to make sure said product is legit.

Do you think CL is full of legit sellers?

CL is the home of sketchy sellers.

Also the buyer could just keep the money locked in his glove box, then bring it out once he's seen the the product is legit.

I still don't get how not bringing the cash with you and setting up a second meet up is going to lead to making "sure said product is legit". 

I still don't get how not bringing the cash with you and setting up a second meet up is going to lead to making "sure said product is legit". 
1st meeting: confirm that product is legit and confirm what they seller has said about said product

2nd meeting: pay for product

You're overthinking this.

This is my advice to someone who's making a big purchase on CL.

To ensure that they'll get the product they want.

If you're dealing with an honest seller, he shouldn't have any probelm with this.

If you're dealing with a shady seller, well...

Again, why can't he just pay for it during the first meeting?

What is going to change between checking the product out during the first meeting and paying for the product during the second meeting that will ensure he's getting the product he wants?

You're not adding any assurances. It's just a waste of time.

What is going to change between checking the product out during the first meeting and paying for the product during the second meeting that will ensure he's getting the product he wants?

If he is making a big purchase ($500-$1000+), it's not smart to walk around with that much cash in your pocket without knowing that you are getting EXACTLY what you expect to pay for.

It's reassurance. How many times do I have to type this for you to understand?

Do you really think CL is has a majority of honest sellers?

As I already said, he can keep the money in the car or go to an atm.

So, again quit pretending that this takes a lot of time.

It's a waste of time to shady sellers.

Hopefully you're not a shady seller.

Last edited:

If he is making a big purchase ($500-$1000+), it's not smart to walk around with that much cash in your pocket without knowing that you are getting EXACTLY what you expect to pay for.

How is it a reassurance? You already said it wasn't a theft deterrent. So I'll ask again:

Like I said, this is a waste of time for both the buyer and seller.

How hard or how much does it cost to upgrade the ram in one of these?
$20-$40 depending on the brand and type of the ram

How is it a reassurance? You already said it wasn't a theft deterrent. So I'll ask again:

Like I said, this is a waste of time for both the buyer and seller.
I already told you. It's to make sure you're paying for you want.

Your so concerned about not wasting time at craiglist meetups, yet you're wasting your time here by pretending to not understand what I'm saying.

I already said that said buyer can leave said money in the car, so your question is null.

As I already stated, it's a precaution that wards of sketchy sellers.

If a seller has a problem with that, more than likely they are dealing with stolen property.

The "sellers" who are in a hurry to get rid of what they have are always red flags.

We're repeating ourselves at this point, so stop wasting both our times.

You're not making any sense. Answer this for me:

2 meetups for a CL sale?

Naw man......naw.  As a seller, if a buyer told me he wanted to meet up again at a later point in time to pay for an item, I'd honestly just walk away and find a new buyer.  Has nothing to do with legitness, either.  Don't waste my time and I won't waste yours.    

Ask all the questions you want and request pictures via email/text BEFORE the meetup.  Check out the product and make sure everything checks out at the meetup.  Pay for product if you're satisfied.  Simple as that.  

And personally, I always carry the cash on me that I'm planning to spend at a CL meetup.  If you meet in a busy, public place there's no need to keep it stashed in the glovebox.  Ol' scary type dudes.  
laugh.gif

2 meetups for a CL sale?

Naw man......naw.  As a seller, if a buyer told me he wanted to meet up again at a later point in time to pay for an item, I'd honestly just walk away and find a new buyer.  Has nothing to do with legitness, either.  Don't waste my time and I won't waste yours.    

Ask all the questions you want and request pictures via email/text BEFORE the meetup.  Check out the product and make sure everything checks out at the meetup.  Pay for product if you're satisfied.  Simple as that.  

And personally, I always carry the cash on me that I'm planning to spend at a CL meetup.  If you meet in a busy, public place there's no need to keep it stashed in the glovebox.  Ol' scary type dudes.  
laugh.gif
That's fine.

But some sellers don't want to give to much info about the product, so as to not make their offering price lower.

Some sellers may not even want to take more pix, b/c they see that as a waste of time.

Especially if they have 3-5 potential buyers asking for pix.

These are precautions, look at the definition if you need to.

Walking to a meetup with that cash in your pocket with very little confidence in what you'll be paying for is not the brightest idea.
You're not making any sense. Answer this for me:

I already explained this to you.

After the 1st meeting, the buyer knows FIRST HAND EXACTLY what he is buying, rather than going on the seller's pix on CL or his word.
I already told you, if said buyer can just leave the money in the car or go to an atm.

Thereby not having to "meetup" a 2nd time.

As I already said, it's all precaution.

Do you not understand what a precaution is?

CL is littered with shady sellers, so stop acting like most sellers should be trusted.

Last edited:
If after the first meet up the buyer "knows FIRST HAND EXACTLY what he is buying, rather than going on the seller's pix on CL or his word", what exactly is the purpose of the second meet up? Why not just pay the man then and there?

And who the hell buys something from a Craigslist deal without checking the merchandise out first? No one just goes "on the seller's pix on CL or his word". So that whole point you keep stressing doesn't even make sense.

And you still also haven't answered this:

You keep explaining the process to me, but you still haven't answered the question.

Last edited:
If after the first meet up the buyer "knows FIRST HAND EXACTLY what he is buying, rather than going on the seller's pix on CL or his word", what exactly is the purpose of the second meet up? Why not just pay the man then and there?

And who the hell buys something from a Craigslist deal without checking the merchandise out first? No one just goes "on the seller's pix on CL or his word". So that whole point you keep stressing doesn't even make sense.

And you still also haven't answered this:

You keep explaining the process to me, but you still haven't answered the question.
If the buyer wants to do that, that's fine. As I've already stated, CL is full of shady sellers. So these oh so perfect  CL meetups aren't going to be as common.

I've already told you the purpose.

There was just story about some lady who bought two brand new iphones that turned out to be edible apples.

The phones were in shrink wrap, so what do you think that buyer should have done in that situation?

Should the buyer have asked the seller to take the phone out of the shrink wrap or do you have a better soltuion?

Given that story about the lady, yes some people do just go off just pix or even worse a seller's word.

Those people are unaware which is why it's so easy for them to be tricked.

Which is why I'm reiterating these precautions.

I've already answered that twice or thrice.

You even quoted the answer in your post.

Last edited:
Brah, you have not answered this:

To put it differently, the buyer checks out the product and everything is perfect. He then says, meet me in an hour so I can pay you.

What is going to change in that hour that makes the purchase more "legit"?

And yes, the lady is a fool for buying something that is still shrink wrapped. Especially a phone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom