Careers 9-5 Vol. Can you do it ?

I have been thinking lately about my future. My planwas always to go into advertising. I just finished up and submitted my application to the school I have wanted to go to for years (Advertising major).

Been working in an office for a while now and its horrible. I count the hours and I can't wait to get out of here. I am beyond exhausted by the time I gethome so by then my day is over. I am afraid that I will feel the same way when/if I get into advertising.
Being in the office all day, same routine every single day - no life on the week days... I don't know if that's what I want for myself.

Who here has a career that's a basic 9-5? Do you enjoy it? If you could go back, and change your career would you?
What about anyone who has a career with different hours, different days every week? (Nurses, retail managers etc)

i cant and it scares me because i have a son...... i dunno what my future holds
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

real talk NO

working 40 hrs a week sucks i dont even know how people do 60, 70, 80+

btw powerball for saturday is 213 million (104.7 mill after taxes)

Originally Posted by Al Audi

real talk NO

Damn I guess that means my mom didn't hit the powerball last night.

restaurant business has crap hrs. i dunno how people do that either. an ya know you workin holidays too

i actually thought about that other day when i was at TGI fridays late night while back after seein Funny People

Honestly, in a 9-5 the most important thing is the group of people you work with.

You work w/ a great group of people, and you're day will be cool.

If not, then it is hell.

I work a '9-5' but I don't mind it as I work w/ quite the cast of characters.

Usually I have time to do what I like during the week, but there are those days where i am doing more and come home tired and don't want to do anything.But that's with any job. That comes w/ the territory of working.

Originally Posted by jumpmankb

With the right co-workers and the right job. Yes.

I know both you and I are bored at work everyday because we STAY posting in general
laugh.gif

But I just think about where I would be otherwise.. Working a 9-5 mon-fri BEATS THE HELL out of working 5-12 every fri and sat night at a restaurant.

roll.gif
roll.gif

It's horrible!
I mean I feel that too, but I just don't know if it's a realistic goal for me any more the whole office thing. I don't want to be miserable for 40years of my life just trying to cash in.

been doing it 3yrs now and i hate it.... but until i find another course of action this is what it is

i've changed my major 4 different times because i worry about the same thing.

right now, i work an 8-5 office job & i most certainly don't want to do this gig for the rest of my life. granted, it's not yourtypical desk job but working @ a university can get monotonous.

i'm incredibly indecisive & its haunts me just thinking about being the 30something year old who goes back & wonders "if only i would'vemajored in..."
ohwell.gif

With the right co-workers and the right job. Yes.

I know both you and I are bored at work everyday because we STAY posting in general
laugh.gif

But I just think about where I would be otherwise.. Working a 9-5 mon-fri BEATS THE HELL out of working 5-12 every fri and sat night at a restaurant.

Agreed.

I'm currently working a 9-5 internship. The benefits is that I'm off weekends compared to worrying about how my schedule is going to look week afterweek. It really just depends on your co-workers. Mine are real cool and it helps make the day go by a lot faster.

I get very lazy about waking up early though after doing it so much though, so I probably couldn't do it for 25-30 years like some people do.

real talk NO

Damn.. I would be content with like 5 mill. I would buy a nice little house and just live carefree
happy.gif

ya know who else has TERRIBLE hours

the life of a car salesman

geezus i dunno how they work like that, i remember a girl told me way back she was sellin mini coopers and she was workin from 8-8 like everyday

Originally Posted by starzinoureyes

i've changed my major 4 different times because i worry about the same thing.

right now, i work an 8-5 office job & i most certainly don't want to do this gig for the rest of my life. granted, it's not your typical desk job but working @ a university can get monotonous.

i'm incredibly indecisive & its haunts me just thinking about being the 30something year old who goes back & wonders "if only i would've majored in..."
ohwell.gif
Exactlly ! thats what im worried about too. Its like by the time your older and have a family and have your life settled down its hard to uprootyour whole life and change everything and most people cant do it. But how do you even come close to knowing if you will make the right decision for your future? its impossible.

Shoot I've been looking for an office job/something related to my marketing degree for about a year and nothing... So at this point and time i could careless how boring it is... At my current part-time all i do is sit there and wait for the phone to ring, I might get 3-4 calls in a 4hr shift? Thankfully we haveinternet! lol.

But as jumpmankb stated it all depends on your co-workers and the kind of work they have you doing, the Creative aspect of it has to be alot more entertainingthan the business/selling side of advertising.

ya know who else has TERRIBLE hours

the life of a car salesman

geezus i dunno how they work like that, i remember a girl told me way back she was sellin mini coopers and she was workin from 8-8 like everyday
yeah. those dudes are money hungry tho. my dad sells cars so he works from opening to closing...usually like 8-9 but if he sells like 2 or 3 carshe will leave early. i be feeling bad for him.

Originally Posted by Crumbs

been doing it 3yrs now and i hate it.... but until i find another course of action this is what it is
Word. Same here.

Restaurant is horrible. I was a busser and had nightmares of bussing tables because I would do the same thing over and over all day just bussing tables.

Kinda like when you play a videogame too much you dream about it. I was having dreams about my job. There was NO escape. I'm thankful at a 9-5 now.
LOL that was basically me. I did the restaurant thing for a couple of years as soon as I turned 18 and I'd have mad nightmares that everytable I'd bus get instantly dirty, etc.
roll.gif
roll.gif

The restaurant was a good look while it lasted, quick cash, etc but I'm glad I'm in a 9-5 office setting now as boring as it can get. It's nice tohave that steady skrilla + chilling in AC not running around taking crap from people.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Every job has it's ups and downs I guess....

I miss working 8-5:30....I need that in my life again. When you have a job you enjoy doing, thedays go by real fast. If you live a balanced life; work, stay active, enjoy your weekends, eating well....then work shouldn't be bad. Perhaps what you aredoing isn't your calling if you hate it. Should have thought about what you are really passionate about and weighed the pros and cons about getting intothis field....

you have to at least try to do something you enjoy doing...if you wanna get in advertising do all you can to get in advertising, but advertising is usually a9-5 *+$ kinda job too

as long as you are doing something you enjoy doing or care about, it doesnt matter what the hours are

I feel the same way as you. I don't want a mundane job where the same day is the same thing. I'm interning in an office right now this summer inproperty management. Right now i actually like it, and hope to continue working part time here during school. Like others said, its really about the group ofpeople you work with and how your office is. My office is extremely laid back, as long as you get your work done they don't care what else goes on. Picturethis, my 1st day on the job i was in the mailroom, 1 of the managers came in along with 2 other workers and told me to stop working for a minute. They startedplaying darts for money and needed me to get out of their way
laugh.gif
It also helps ALOT that this office is only a 8 minute walking distance from my house aswell. Don't have to worry about an hour train ride into and out of manhatten every day

I have a gig that can be classified as a 9-5. I love it. I'm in marketing, handling media buying/planning (radio/tv/out of home), events, sponsorships andbrand direction. It's great since my company is somewhat of a youth-targeted brand, and the people I interact with are all "creative" types(radio stations, ad agencies, other brands).

Once you get into an environment that involves a job you love, and a path you want to follow, TIME WILL FLY.

If you choose to go the advertising route, hopefully you're near a top-5 market. If not, move to one. Seriously. You'll have to be in a major market tofind any sort of decent opportunity in advertising, esp if you're trying to be on the creative side.

GET YOUR FOOT IN THE DOOR EARLY AT AN AGENCY. TRUST ME.

Originally Posted by TheTruthHurts74

I have a gig that can be classified as a 9-5. I love it. I'm in marketing, handling media buying/planning (radio/tv/out of home), events, sponsorships and brand direction. It's great since my company is somewhat of a youth-targeted brand, and the people I interact with are all "creative" types (radio stations, ad agencies, other brands).

Once you get into an environment that involves a job you love, and a path you want to follow, TIME WILL FLY.

If you choose to go the advertising route, hopefully you're near a top-5 market. If not, move to one. Seriously. You'll have to be in a major market to find any sort of decent opportunity in advertising, esp if you're trying to be on the creative side.

GET YOUR FOOT IN THE DOOR EARLY AT AN AGENCY. TRUST ME.
this doesnt seem bad an it seems fun ive thought about this before. basically like a promoter
laugh.gif

"brand ambassador"
"street team"

type work, hmmmm

Originally Posted by dreClark

Honestly, in a 9-5 the most important thing is the group of people you work with.

You work w/ a great group of people, and you're day will be cool.

If not, then it is hell.

I work a '9-5' but I don't mind it as I work w/ quite the cast of characters.

Usually I have time to do what I like during the week, but there are those days where i am doing more and come home tired and don't want to do anything. But that's with any job. That comes w/ the territory of working.

See that I can understand being ok with.
Unfortunatly we cant choose who we work with

Back
Top Bottom