Chinese Basketball Prospect Xu Yong Diagnosed with Career Ending Bone Cancer

[table][tr][td]Chinese basketball star may have bone cancer[/td] [/tr][tr][td]By Yang Jian�2008-4-14�[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
xuyong01.jpg

A PROMISING Shanghai basketball player who plays on the national team may not be able to compete in the Olympic Games because he was diagnosed with potential bone cancer in his left leg, according to media reports.

Doctors have said Xu Yong, the 19-year-old forward for Shanghai Xiyang of the China Basketball Association, has a 70 percent possibility of having bone cancer in his left leg, the Beijing-based Modern Express said, citing Li Qiuping, chief coach of Shanghai Xiyang.

Xu's condition will be diagnosed in about a week to 10 days, said Li.

Xu received a second exam on his left femur at Ruijin Hospital in Luwan District on Saturday. A doctor said his condition was "not positive," said Li.

"Xu's current condition was not so good and all of us wish that he will recover," Li added.

Xu said yesterday that he did not want to talk about his condition during a telephone interview with Xinmin Evening News, the report said.

"Thanks for all of the concern, and I believe I will recover from the illness soon," Xu told the newspaper.

Xu is two-meters tall and is considered one of the most promising basketball players in the country. He joined the CBA last year and averaged 18.2 points, 6.3 rebounds and 3.4 assist per game during the season.

Xu was the top rookie last season, Xinmin Evening News said, citing his coaches.

Xu became famous in February 2007 after he won the "dunking king" title at the CBA's 2006-2007 All-Star Game. His powerful dunk in the final received full marks from the judges.

Bone cancer can be fatal because it can easily spread to the lungs and other organs.

Patients only have a five to 20 percent chance to survive for more than five years after a cancerous limb has been amputated.

Xu initially went to hospital for an exam on his knee after being selected to the national team last month. Doctors found a tumor on his left femur.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
I feel sorry for the dude, he was mad athletic for his size too, 6'7-6'9� another career taken by some injury, sucks man word to JonathanBender

Dude had hops..

I heard about this dude sometime last year, that's too bad it's happening to him, best of wishes to the long fight with cancer, becoming a too-commontrend with people these days.

Xu initially went to hospital for an exam on his knee after being selected to the national team last month. Doctors found a tumor on his left femur.

tired.gif
so sad.

No he didn't.

Have some class.
eyes.gif

Could his cancer be attributed to the environmental dangers in China? It seems that there could be a link if properly investigated. Not reaching on this issue.It just seems plausible.

That was one of the most depressing sounding tracks on a mix video I've seen.

Hopefully he'll be able to beat the odds.

People i play pickup ball with play better defense

but damn that's sad to hear, he's so young too...

Originally Posted by HotSpitta26

he's classless because he said he didnt have hops?

If someone walked in on your mother on her deathbed, and she's in horrible shape, and someone said, "damn she's ugly," how would youfeel? It's wrong time wrong situation. Say if Kobe got in a motorcycle accident and died, would you just go and say "well, Colorado caught up tohim!" No, it's classless.

bla bla bla chinese bball aint on US level, he got no hops, etc
eyes.gif

you guys are actually gonna say that crap when dude was diagnosed with cancer?
indifferent.gif

id be pissed if i worked hard all my life playing bball and have this happen to me.

asians get no love
tired.gif

Dude had hops..

ehh, i wouldn't say that. maybe we're spoiled from watching Lebron and some of these elite NBA guys, but he didn't have much lift on any of thedunks in that vid.. obviously it was good for a guy playing with leg cancer

anyways, thats really sad. the part you put in bold, is that saying he won't survive as in he will DIE? that really sucks... until Sean Taylor i wouldnever have thought a leg injury could be fatal. they can't at least amputate it and give him a prosthetic.. like, that sucks major

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

Dude had hops..

ehh, i wouldn't say that. maybe we're spoiled from watching Lebron and some of these elite NBA guys, but he didn't have much lift on any of the dunks in that vid.. obviously it was good for a guy playing with leg cancer

anyways, thats really sad. the part you put in bold, is that saying he won't survive as in he will DIE? that really sucks... until Sean Taylor i would never have thought a leg injury could be fatal. they can't at least amputate it and give him a prosthetic.. like, that sucks major

Intelligence.
sick.gif

If you hit a major artery, anything can happen. You could bleed to death from anywhere if the wound is significant enough. The problem with this starisn't that if you amputate he can't live or what-not, what cancer does is, it spreads. It can spread to anywhere in the body if goes untreated, someplaces are easier to treat than others, they're saying it can be spread to the liver (and from personal experience, liver cancer doesn't originate inthe liver, it comes from somewhere else). The article states that you have 5-20% chance of living PAST the first five years of amputation. Cancer doesn'tjust stop and go away unless it's caught in certain places or caught very early on I believe. I had a very good friend of mine who's wife was free ofcancer for 16 years, but it came back just two years ago. And, my neighbor came down with cancer and died within a few months of being diagnosed. Anotherrelative of mine is battling it right now, and ANOTHER is debating even going through with treatment, a lot of NTers should know, cancer is nothing to jokeabout, no matter the severity. I only hope this young kid (he's my age, in actuality,) has a good life, but it doesn't sound good.

Back
Top Bottom