College Degree Value Decreasing

Is college worth it

• Yes (Connections, social life, experience, etc)

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • No (Debt, college isn’t for everyone, etc)

Votes: 33 55.9%

• Total voters
I got an engineering job without a degree

What type of engineering and doing what exactly?

From what I've read theoretically you can get a job that falls under the umbrella of engineering but it is difficult. Someone who is a math genius in high school could teach themselves but that is far from the norm. Especially in the higher end engineering fields in chemical, biomedical, and civil engineering. Employers want to see a more traditional path which involves taking professional and competency exams. Only a small percentage of people could become licensed professional engineers without a college degree.

Last edited:
Design.
Using Trig for 3D model building and used autocad for map drawing/diagraming. There’s a bunch more parts to it but that was the most engineering aspect of it.

Ok no offense but in the hierarchy of what is considered "engineering" this may be on the bottom.

Long as the price is reasonable, I’ll tell the kids to go for it …Unfortunately the cost is already wild right now and salaries not rising with it, can’t even imagine what the future gon be like if something doesn’t give in this country

you go to school/work for money.

you do whatever your passion is in your free time.

the problem is people have been told to do or study what they love...then later in life theyre mad because theyre broke and cant buy their kids nikes.

Grew up in low income household and was able to get my degree for free via financial aid. Got in trouble with the law and dropped out for 3 years. Planned to be a construction worker. but glad I went back to school and made the most of it.

I didnt think I was the "school type" either and had to completely change my mindset. But I can see how it's not worth it for a lot of people, especially when theyre 18 and fresh out of high school.

My GF has a masters in graphic design
Just gonna say the course work doesnt seem to be worth the price BUT thats on employers demands as much as it is on students
Damn a masters in graphic designs. I actually shouldn't be surprised because one of my classmates was a damn Stanford Grad with a job, yet wanted to get a Masters in Graphic Design too.

If my daughter wants to go to college that’s fine with me. If she wants to go for something lower paying I’ll try to steer her in the direction of cheaper school if it’s an option.

if she wants to skip school and learn a trade that’s also fine.

I’m not going to force her or pressure her into anything at 18. I don’t expect her to have her whole life figured out when she’s done with high school.

I have some college but nothing I use for my job and I do fine financially. I don’t look down on people who go to school or those who choose not to, do you. Most people couldn’t do my job but I also couldn’t sit in an office all day so respect to everyone from my end.

After seeing half of our country not believe science and ignore the most basic concepts of public health, statistical analysis, etc......EVERYBODY IN THIS THREAD BETTER BE CLAMORING FOR GETTING COLLEGE EDUCATED.

the “ I diD mY oWn ReSEarCh!” Crowd needs to die off for real.
Say that **** again! “College doesn’t do anything!” Seems to go with “Covid is a hoax!” And “welcome to Walmart”.

High school teacher here. Definitely don’t believe college is for everybody. From my experience, the ones who are most vocal in complaining about this are usually the ones who didn’t go and want to puff their chest out some as small business owners or tradesman. It’s rooted in truth, but is mostly just a chip on their shoulder.

Same type of crowd that complains about basic life skills not being taught in schools. Generally they are taught, these folks just weren’t paying attention.

High school teacher here. Definitely don’t believe college is for everybody. From my experience, the ones who are most vocal in complaining about this are usually the ones who didn’t go and want to puff their chest out some as small business owners or tradesman. It’s rooted in truth, but is mostly just a chip on their shoulder.

Same type of crowd that complains about basic life skills not being taught in schools. Generally they are taught, these folks just weren’t paying attention.

Lol people love to brag about owning a business like every business is on equal footing. You could literally own a business and only bring in 30 grand a year. These type of people will brag about it to doctors and lawyers who make 6 figures but work for a firm or hospital, tumbout at least I am independent and self employed :lol:

Your food truck doesn't automatically make you Bill Gates.

I agree, there is a lot that was learned in high school that people just ignored, because they have been fed this mentality that none of it applies to the real world. Grammar, discipline to turn in assignments on time, basic math, learning how to conduct sound research (not youtube vids), the basics of the hard sciences are lessons that could have at least helped prevent the general dumbification of America.

My favorite biology professor went to community College and transferred to Harvard.

Obviously you need to show you are Harvard material starting in high school. He was brilliant just couldn't afford it.

Not even, bruh. I've worked with so many people who went to Ivy's, myself included. I can tell you from my perspective, it's all about your story/journey.

Obviously you need to have the intellectual horsepower/curiosity, but they put a significant premium in your work ethic and "potential".

With everything that's been said, I don't think you NEED to go to college or seek higher education per se to make it life. But some professions or career paths will always require you to have some sort of schooling and/or proper training.

Now, there are alternatives to making money and living a comfortable life without having to go to college/university, but those options are still very limited. Most fruitfully paying careers will still require you to have higher level of education. Usually there's also a symmetrical correlation to progression of salary development and career growth that comes with a college degree.

It really boils down to what works for you as an individual.

Not even, bruh. I've worked with so many people who went to Ivy's, myself included. I can tell you from my perspective, it's all about your story/journey.

Obviously you need to have the intellectual horsepower/curiosity, but they put a significant premium in your work ethic and "potential".

You story and journey don't mean sh** of you don't have the grades. It just sets you apart from other people with padded resumes. I think the only factor that will close doors into these schools is grades and scores, everything else is icing on the cake.

I have been on an admission committee for a medical school and residency, we literally have a point system for what matters and your grades and scores are #1, with lesser points for school you went to, connections, "story", personal statement, interview. Elite schools have to maintain a level of exclusivity which means having high average GPAs coming out of high school. So nah it isn't "all about journey". If that were the case there wouldn't be so many privileged rich kids at Yale and princeton.

You story and journey don't mean sh** of you don't have the grades. It just sets you apart from other people with padded resumes. I think the only factor that will close doors into these schools is grades and scores, everything else is icing on the cake.

I have been on an admission committee for a medical school and residency, we literally have a point system for what matters and your grades and scores are #1, with lesser points for school you went to, connections, "story", personal statement, interview. Elite schools have to maintain a level of exclusivity which means having high average GPAs coming out of high school. So nah it isn't "all about journey". If that were the case there wouldn't be so many privileged rich kids at Yale and princeton.

Of course, grades matter :lol:

I was trying to emphasize the importance of your personal statement. To be fair though, the person I knew (we both got our MBA's at the same Ivy), claimed they had a pretty average GPA and GMAT (3.5 & 700). Granted, homie did some AMAZING global work, served in the military and was in his 30's.

There's def not a one size fit's all method here.

Lol people love to brag about owning a business like every business is on equal footing. You could literally own a business and only bring in 30 grand a year. These type of people will brag about it to doctors and lawyers who make 6 figures but work for a firm or hospital, tumbout at least I am independent and self employed :lol:

Your food truck doesn't automatically make you Bill Gates.

I agree, there is a lot that was learned in high school that people just ignored, because they have been fed this mentality that none of it applies to the real world. Grammar, discipline to turn in assignments on time, basic math, learning how to conduct sound research (not youtube vids), the basics of the hard sciences are lessons that could have at least helped prevent the general dumbification of America.
Ironically I know more of the I have a degree crowd that makes 30 grand but act better than others because they have degrees. It goes both ways. Everybody should choose their own path and what works for them and let other people choose theirs and what works for them. I know happy people with on both sides and unhappy people on both sides. Financially stable people on both sides and broke people on both sides. Relationships and knowing the right people is the real move tho.

Grew up in low income household and was able to get my degree for free via financial aid. Got in trouble with the law and dropped out for 3 years. Planned to be a construction worker. but glad I went back to school and made the most of it.

I didnt think I was the "school type" either and had to completely change my mindset. But I can see how it's not worth it for a lot of people, especially when theyre 18 and fresh out of high school.

I grew up fairly comfortable but with my parents being immigrants, they didn't know what a college fund was so after I walked in HS, I basically had to figure it out myself. I was never the school type either so I BS'd through a couple years of CC not really focused on anything.

It took awhile though and probably longer than it had to but I was able to make a connect to get my foot into the door of a company that offered tuition reimbursement and took full advantage of that. I was able to knock out an Associates, Bachelors, and Masters all on their dime and graduated with no debt. Personally, it was the best decision I ever made as it opened up so many doors and opportunities for me.

With everything that's been said, I don't think you NEED to go to college or seek higher education per se to make it life. But some professions or career paths will always require you to have some sort of schooling and/or proper training.

Now, there are alternatives to making money and living a comfortable life without having to go to college/university, but those options are still very limited. Most fruitfully paying careers will still require you to have higher level of education. Usually there's also a symmetrical correlation to progression of salary development and career growth that comes with a college degree.

It really boils down to what works for you as an individual.
Name times when you don’t need to. Legitimate question

Ironically I know more of the I have a degree crowd that makes 30 grand but act better than others because they have degrees. It goes both ways. Everybody should choose their own path and what works for them and let other people choose theirs and what works for them. I know happy people with on both sides and unhappy people on both sides. Financially stable people on both sides and broke people on both sides. Relationships and knowing the right people is the real move tho.

A college or advanced degree is something that people SHOULD be proud of and SHOULD be celebrated. Umurica is just doing it backwards.

College makes knowing the right people a little easier. Can't network if you don't have a network.

Name times when you don’t need to. Legitimate question

The following is a list furnished at your request, with corresponding median income

• Commercial Pilot ~$80k/year
  • Technician (aircraft (or transportation), mechanics, automobile, construction vehicles/machines etc) ~$80l
  • Fire-Fighter (management or supervisory) ~$75k
  • Software Engineer ~$110k
  • Plumber ~$60-80k (I know some who make over $100K)
  • Electrician ~60-80k (same as the plumber)
  • Occupational Therapy Assistant ~$60k
  • Radiology and MRI technologist ~$65k
  • Police Officers ~$70k (NYC cops make over $100k after 5 years of service)
  • Dental Hygienist ~$80k
  • Air Traffic Controller ~$120k

Back
Top Bottom