College Dropouts = How's life right now?

Treb2k5 wrote:
kix4kix wrote:
Show me a college dropout who is making 6 figures without coming from a loaded family, and I will show you an exception to the rule.
Heavy Hitters Magazine.

It's filled with guys who didn't go to college, dropped out, didn't go to school past 7th grade...and they're all MULTI-MILLIONAIRES right now.

I'm talking multiple Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Drophead Phantom money.

It easy to pull out outliers from both sides but it still doesn't account for reality.

Getting a college puts you ahead of a person with out a degree but does not guarantee you anything. A person who is lazy / undetermined with a college degreeoften ends up in the same boat as some one who is lazy / undetermined with out a college degree. The opposite is also true in the sense that a hardworking /determined person is more likely to end up becoming successful regardless of whether they have a degree or not.

I view a degree as insurance and a means to an end. It something to fall back on if my plans fail. In IT a degree isn't necessary, but having one allowsyou to make a lot more money.

Got mad respect for dudes out there grindin (legally) after droppin out.
My cousin dropped out his freshman year and caught a F in the same year....
smh.gif

But he has a straight construction job right now and couldn't be more pleased
pimp.gif

I remember reading bout that richkarl dude and his 165k job at 24, and thinking man his hard work paid off! Ole well if he's proven to be a fraud!

Anyways, on my situation! After high school in 2002, I did college for 4 years, 3 at a private university, then transferred to a public university for the 4thyear! I lost some credits transferring but I had to come home because of my family situation! During the fourth year I heard about a great opportunity inconstruction for cement masonry so I jumped at it! I finished the program in the fall of 06 and to no avail I haven't been lucky even to get sponsored intoan apprenticeship! So now I'm back in school registered for the fall to hopefully finish my bachelor in accounting!

As far as how life has been, it's been okay I have my own apartment wit my fiancé and daughter, I financed my own car 3 years ago(magnum SE, I know I know)but wit my degree my potential would be so much better right now! Only thing I would change is that i would follow my own mind because I'm the only personwho has to live it! I got persuaded a few ways and those people didn't come thru like they said they would!

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

I think that college drop outs may be the smartest among us. If you have parents or a scholarship or the military paying for school, go for it, it can only help. If you have to spend tens of thousands of dollars that you do not have to get a measly bachelors degree, you must either love learning or you are making a big mistake financially. Higher education is a bubble, when the relative returns continue to diminish and costs continue to rise on an asset, the bubble is growing.

Higher education has been over sold and government largess and easy credit, along with promises of tremendous payoffs, all in concert with dire threats of how life will be without a degree, have combined to have simply too many people going to college. Meanwhile, too few people are going into skilled occupation, not "ditch digging" or "flipping burgers" but being the people who make our society and our myriad modern machines run smoothly and make our all of our lives more comfortable and enjoyable.

The conventional wisdom that the person in college is destined for long term success, greater enough in magnitude relative to his less educated brethren, to justify any and all costs of obtaining that education, is simply obsolete. And who determines what a good degree is versus a bad one? I'd love for you to show me statistics that show that people without degrees post-secondary make more than those without; you will not find it.
This statement is SOOO loaded, I don't know how you can just make that blanket assumption. For example, I'm going to law school, whichmade my MEASLY bachelors kind of necessary. And who determines what a good degree is versus a bad one? I'd love for you to show me statistics that showthat people without degrees post-secondary make more than those with one; you will not find it. Sure, for some (few) people it's better for themfinancially to skip the bachelors, but a degree opens up far more doors down the road. In terms of changing careers, advancement, the list goes on. A bachelorsdegree is in MOST cases a very valuable asset in ones career. If you go into it thinking that degree is gonna get you six figures off the bat then you'rein for a rude awakening, but overall, a degree holder will almost always make more over their lifetime than those who don't, even accounting for loanrepayments. Of course now no one is getting jobs, but with companies hiring so cautiously, all things equal, the degree holder will beat out someone who doesnot. Period.

It's better, because I decided to go back... not sure how long thats gonna last though to be honest LOL.
I'm going back because I need a good foundation not only for myself but for my future family.

Originally Posted by FreshJayz

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Show me a college dropout who is making 6 figures without coming from a loaded family, and I will show you an exception to the rule.

My step mom.
Worked in movie theaters most of her life.. Attended college for 2 quarters.
Worked at numerous jobs throughout the years.
Now she works for an airplane customizing business (they do work for the military, celebrities, and royalty)
.. Making BANK.
Did it all with hard work.. Not school.

Same for my mom and dad. Both came from the roughest places in Memphis.

My dad is a truck driver and has been on the job for almost 30 years. He was in the Marines before then. He's in the six figure range and my mom justretired as a customer service rep for a utility company and was making around 70K+. She took a few computer courses to get experience within' the customerservice field. Of course it was easier to find opportunities back in the 70's and 80's compared to now, but it happened.

It something to fall back on if my plans fail.
The thing is...in this current job market and economy...this statement isn't proving to be entirely true. The Degree = Backup Plan theory heldtrue years ago. Now I'm not so sure

If I am digging up this thread, I apologize!

I was lucky enough to have my college paid for by my grandparents and various scholarships. I wanted to join the military straight out of high school, but Iwas given the opportunity to play college basketball and have my school paid for 100%. It took me 9 semesters and 2 summers, but I finally finished. I am gladI did not drop out because I would not have gone back and finished.

NOW that I am done, the 3 main jobs I want during mylifetime do NOT require a college degree (firefighter, military (if I do not become a firefighter soon!)and small business owner). I have no burning desire to do any type of work in the field I majored in. The 1 job I do want to do in my field requires me to goto grad school, which I'm not at all excited about.

In the white community, if you are middle class or wealthier, going to college is like a normal thing that everyone does, at least in my experience. Itransferred to rather expensive private school for my senior year of high school. ALL of us went to college. Most of these people look down upon those who donot go to college.

All that being said, I know scratch my head sometimes and wonder what I could have done in the 5 years I went in college. How far would I have advanced in themilitary? Could I already have become a firefighter? Would my small business be open by now?

I have now been out of school for the past 8 months. I have a fair amount of money so far working various jobs. I am now as assistant manager at Foot Lockerand I personal train on the side. I am "supposed" to be managing my own FTL store by the beginning of 2010. My boss straight up told me it wasbecause I was a hard worker and I was white (they need some white managers in the district) moreso than my college degree. Granted, this is a retail job anddoes not apply for every job field (some jobs you HAVE to have a degree). Foot Locker is a great company to work for and advance without a degree. However, Iplan on getting out as soon as I find something better.

Sorry if that sounded like a blog post.

Life at the moment is alright I guess. I did 2 years but decided school just wasn't for me at the time because legally drinking age up here in Canada is19, and once I turned legal age everything just went downhill from there esp. my motivation. Being an athletes and getting the majority of my tutition paiddidn't help either because of the fact I did not care what I did due to me not paying for education. Anyways, at the moment I am just working three jobs togo travelling so I can gather my thoughts a little bit. After that, I plan on going back to school either business or maybe the same field i did before hand(highly unlikely). Never really thought school through in depth or researched what I should do. All in all my life at the moment is up in the air.

I attend college and im going into my 3rd year/ junoir year... I already owe $60,000...

I believe the motivation of how much debt i am in will fuel me to want to go hard with my major (Business Management)

I am not sure of what kind of business i want to run. But i would like to own a franchise. Maybe do something like a martketing franchise or advertisingfranchise.

Bottom line is going to a University, State University, or getting a degree from an accredited college will earn you respect in the career you choose foryourself.

It's shows people that you put forth the time as opposed to someone who self studied or taught themselves a trade or job function who doesn't have adegree.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

I think that college drop outs may be the smartest among us. If you have parents or a scholarship or the military paying for school, go for it, it can only help. If you have to spend tens of thousands of dollars that you do not have to get a measly bachelors degree, you must either love learning or you are making a big mistake financially. Higher education is a bubble, when the relative returns continue to diminish and costs continue to rise on an asset, the bubble is growing.

Higher education has been over sold and government largess and easy credit, along with promises of tremendous payoffs, all in concert with dire threats of how life will be without a degree, have combined to have simply too many people going to college. Meanwhile, too few people are going into skilled occupation, not "ditch digging" or "flipping burgers" but being the people who make our society and our myriad modern machines run smoothly and make our all of our lives more comfortable and enjoyable.

The conventional wisdom that the person in college is destined for long term success, greater enough in magnitude relative to his less educated brethren, to justify any and all costs of obtaining that education, is simply obsolete.
Do YOU have a degree?

^ Yeah he said he graduated from CSUN with an Econ degree.

Thankfully, I was close to dropping out but already finished...

Okay, dropped out of St. Johns in 04...Now working fulltime in music industry...Worked 2 years after school for one of the most famous power black actors inHollywood...Now working independently with Artists, Producers, Songwriters, and one of the biggest rising rappers in California!...Oh yeah I put 70k in thebank this year so far.....hahahahahah "Child Please..." all over college...

Originally Posted by MoneyMakinMatt

Okay, dropped out of St. Johns in 04...Now working fulltime in music industry...Worked 2 years after school for one of the most famous power black actors in Hollywood...Now working independently with Artists, Producers, Songwriters, and one of the biggest rising rappers in California!...Oh yeah I put 70k in the bank this year so far.....hahahahahah "Child Please..." all over college...
pimp.gif
Wish I had the foresight in college that I have now torealize when to move around and make somethin shake. i know u gotta be responsible and logical, but a lot of it has to do with faith in your own talents

I never finished college and I'm working in a small accounting firm.

I am currently making more money than a friend who graduated from CUNY Baruch with a MASTERS in accounting (who also works at an accounting firm).

I'm either really lucky...or a degree just doesn't mean as much as they used to.

But then again, i'm attending class part time so I can take my CPA in the future.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Salute to all my hustlers here, let's get it by any means. 
pimp.gif

Respect. IF you understand how this country works, you can do well...like beyond your greatest dreams successful without a college degree. That is by no means a pre-requisite or even a guarantee for success. It helps, but the most important element is understanding this country and how money works. If people were taught those two things and those two things alone,
colleges would need bailouts.

Originally Posted by 6 got dem handlez

Originally Posted by Kramer

have you really been waiting 2 years? Or did you just randomly bump this

I like reading old forum's threads, it's like a digital time capsule. It's my way of seeing if something was bull !@!# or actuality .
Gets me every time. I started reading this thread from start to finish and it wasn't until the 2nd to last page I was 
eek.gif
 and realized this was an super old thread 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom