Confessions of a car salesman aka Car Buying Guide *now 20*

My old roommate is a car dealer, dude takes home a good $90,000 a year he's 22. He's a laid back sales person and is in the Luxury line of cars meaning the cheapest car is $25,000 used, they basically sell themselves. He gets a company car and a gas card I think about getting into that field everytime I hang out with him and he tosses thousands around like it's nothing.

Of course he tells me about schemes and sketches, but I wouldn't air em out...why?, because everybody has a hustle thats his...and....You can't knock the hustle.

My brother read a little bit out of "Car Buying for Dummies" and it said when you go buy a car, to dress as if you have no money. Don't wear a watch (an expensive one), chain, fancy jewelry, etc. and to park your car across the street so the salesman cannot see what you're driving.

Do you think this has an impact?
"To be successful you have to be selfish, or else you never achieve. And once you get to your highest level, then you have to be unselfish. Stay reachable. Stay in touch. Don't isolate."

i'll add some other key points too.

Know your credit score before you go looking.

If your buying this really helps in knowing what apr% your going to get.
Call local banks/credit union and ask them what there going rate is for a car loan you might get a better deal.

Research the car or truck you want.
Try to know everything it is about it. So you know when they trying to pull something. This also helps with the value of a car. Milage plays a big part in the value.

Ask about warranties also.
Some dealers include warranties in the price others dont. Ask them what is covered in the warranty first before deciding to add it on. Some have differet level warranties so look out.

Ask to test drive without a salesman if you can.
Some luxury car dealers already do this Lexus, Cadillac, MB etc.
You want to feel comfortable with the car, without someone trying to sell it to you.

Other small things.
If you see a set of rims on another model and you'd like them on your car ask the dealer if they would switch them(has to be same model car, and factory rims) some will do it for a small fee. cheaper than buying new ones right away.
example Cadillac CTS with 16" aluminums can be switched with 16" or 17" chromes

Another small note.
Pay attention to the amount of cars on the lot. Check every week, if your ready to buy, to see if the 1 you want is still there. Dealers normally have a certain amount of time they want to sell a car, usually a month. If its not there any more doesnt mean they sold it, they could have traded with another dealer for something else.

Never take the first offer, "this is the best we can do".Comeback a week later and see if they go lower.

If your looking for a new car, usually around Aug-Oct is year end calearnace for dealers.
This is when the new year models come in. So if your looking at a 2006 your best deal will be between those months as the 2007s start to come in. Dealers have to make room for the new cars. So they'll be giving away 06s, almost.

When buying a car from an auction what is the difference in price for an auction car and that same whip @ the dealership. For example if the a 2005 chrysler 300c is 22000 @ the dealer how much would it be @ an auction?
you see a ____ like me man, i love the game, i love the hustle, i feel like one of them ball playin_____, like bird or magic or sumthin. yea a ______ got dough, a _____ could leave the league if he wanted to. but if i leave, is the fans still gon love me man

Quote:
My brother read a little bit out of "Car Buying for Dummies" and it said when you go buy a car, to dress as if you have no money. Don't wear a watch (an expensive one), chain, fancy jewelry, etc. and to park your car across the street so the salesman cannot see what you're driving.

Do you think this has an impact?

your skills as a buyer is what it comes down too. theyre going to see your credit and your income either way so i dont think that will impact anything else than their first impression of you
oh yeah, and this is my signature.

Quote:
When buying a car from an auction what is the difference in price for an auction car and that same whip @ the dealership. For example if the a 2005 chrysler 300c is 22000 @ the dealer how much would it be @ an auction?

i would think that they wouldve gotten that chrysler 300 for roughly $19k. its always going to vary, but the dealership is going to want to make at least $3k off of the deal if they have to go through all of that trouble of inspecting the car, repairing, etc
oh yeah, and this is my signature.

Quote:
if youre paying cash, you can go way below the sticker.

Yes, but paying cash up front is not going to be always the best bet initially since the dealers make a good amount of money through the back door deals (financing, etc). It would help bring your monthlies down if you're still financing but in terms of bringing the MSRP down, you'll definitely get a better deal if you're financing. I guess it really depends on circumstances and the dealerships. Some will gravitate towards the cash, some towards financing.
Brazil AF1's $149.96 | Mango Stabs $69.96 | Black.White Crazy 8's $119.96
PRIMETIME506
primetime506@aol.com

I'm a female with no car knowledge, this was very helpful. thank you

Got mad at it and don't want it no more[/center]

This is definitely a great help. So, on average, how much does a dealership purchase a car for, wholesale price? I know it depends on the automobile, etc, but how much is the difference between MSRP and the price they purchased the car for?
Go See ATL For One Reason....Lauren London. Yezzir!

wow this is def a good look. a whole lot of us are in that age bracket to be looking for our first car on our own, and more than likely are gunna get busted up a bit
Lookin for Used SB's and new AM 90's in size 9. Get at me.

so say if the sticker price on a new car is 23,000. in your experience, what is the best price a buyer can walk out the door with? i mean including taxes and fees. if they follow all the guidelines that you stated above?

good stuff, I'm actually in the market for a new car (well..used). These tidbits helped alot, Thanks
---------------------
It's NOT a Fashion Statement..

great post. you guy should check edmunds.com, they can tell you sticker price, and their invoice price (the dealer's cost of the car) and the average price of a car that has been selling in your area.

if you know the true value of the car you want, go in and ask them if they are willing to sell you one at YOUR pirce, if they say no, just leave and try another dealership until you can find one that will do it. but if nobody can do it, then you're probably asking for too big of a discount.

<-------- dont mess with me, even Snoop says "no."

Anyone have any info on Leasing? Looking to Lease, then most likely "buyout" at the end assuming I don't want something new.

yea ill keep this in mind after i quit buying sneakers and have money for a car.

:rofl:
reppin' 503
Portland, OR // home of Nike
i copied lilwang05 lol

Good job with this. I know that I'm going to be buy a car in the next couple of years, so anything I can learn helps. Too bad I don't have $$$ for a car yet :frown:
frown.gif

"I realized that if I was going to achieve anything in life I had to be agressive. I had to get out there and go for it... I know fear is an obstacle for some people, but it's an illusion to me."
- Michael Jordan

hey,

thanks for info. im interested in getting a job as car salesman.
what do you have to do to get the job? like what kind of tests?
is it worth doing fulltime or just part time? like is the $ good enough?

WANTED LIST:
JORDANS AND AF1 SIZE 10
AIM: TriStateFab

Back
Top Bottom