*| | Denim _ School | |*

Originally Posted by what are you gonna do

^^ based on everyone's post from earlier, it seems like the best way to stretch those out is to just wear them

yamakazi, i called blackbird, but they said that they didnt have any Black denim NS in stock but they said they might restock towards the end of January/beginning of febuary with a few pairs in time for their spring collection

so i guess my questions are...Should i just settle with the blue denim, wait until they restock on the black, or do you have any other sites/stores you think may have it...if what you say is true(which im sure is) about blackbird with their free shipping and 20% off, i dont think anywhere else could top that type of deal

hmm sorry about the BB thing, i didn't know you wanted BLACK NS's. they're pretty much an endangered species 'round the internet, now thatthey're all the rage. i think you should just go ahead and get whatever you were going to get. by the time you get around the a pair of black NS it mightbe 2009 already (hopefully not though)
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by cs02132

^ yea i forgot to mention that i didnt really want to wear them out that much since they are kind of tight..but how many wears do you all think it would take for them to get more loose?

not many...probably 10 solid hours of walking would stretch them out, since it's in the thigh (if i read it correctly) it'll be in constantmotion/movement/stretching. you could also try soaking them in some water, then take them out after 10 minutes or so and wear them WHILE WET so that the denimconforms a bit more to your body. make sure to move around during that time so it'll stretch (denim stretches easier when wet).
Originally Posted by Jwagg Swagg

So if Earnest Sewn is "crap" by NT Standards and Denim Connoisuers....and APC and NUDIE are only "Starter brands"

Then what is the upper echeloen of denim then?

300 Dollar Dior Homme that Kanye West Wears or the 400 dollar Sugar Canes? Give me a break...

eyes.gif
I wear True Religion and Rock & Republic because I want to, I like it and to impress the females..

Not to impress men or Fingerollin who looks like a Dark Skinned Charlie Villanueva
laugh.gif
alien.gif
sick.gif

no need to get personal, what'd he ever do to you?
indifferent.gif
anywayES is a pretty good brand, not to diss the other people helping out in this thread, but their views on ES is a bit wrong. ES denim has actually been IMPROVING,something a lot of companies fail to do. hey if you like your TR and RR, and don't like the look of raw, rigid, or low-contrast fades, then good for you.just grow up with the insults and maybe your denim tastes will change in the meantime.
Originally Posted by nikeXcartoon

No one is forcing you to buy the denim, so if you're happy with True Religion and Rock & Republic, do you.

thank you, something that i would have said, plus - a mature reply!
happy.gif

fingerollin - your pic is on wiki?
eek.gif
but come on now, no need to indulgehim and let the beef spark, just move on and ignore the lame, don't BECOME a lame!
tongue.gif

thanks yamakazi-what do you think of the dry organic nudies?

i definitely understand the whole preference thing, but i definitely dont mean to misinform or step on toes. as for the TR i thought they were decent denimuntil i really took the time to learn about them. i by no means want to say just because they're made in turkey they're terrible because quality denimcan be made anywhere but they are terrible from the aspect that they are not worth more than a few dollars and all the work that goes into from production toyour local nordstrom is subpar. I personally don't like most of the mall based brands but you'll notice i never told anyone to stop wearing it if theyrocked 'em because they truly like them. if you truly and honestly like what you buy, wear it by all means, but dont just rock 'em because other folkswill be impressed that you spent some bills on it.

Originally Posted by fingerollin

i definitely understand the whole preference thing, but i definitely dont mean to misinform or step on toes. as for the TR i thought they were decent denim until i really took the time to learn about them. i by no means want to say just because they're made in turkey they're terrible because quality denim can be made anywhere but they are terrible from the aspect that they are not worth more than a few dollars and all the work that goes into from production to your local nordstrom is subpar. I personally don't like most of the mall based brands but you'll notice i never told anyone to stop wearing it if they rocked 'em because they truly like them. if you truly and honestly like what you buy, wear it by all means, but dont just rock 'em because other folks will be impressed that you spent some bills on it.

concurred. most mall-denim, like we've probably both said a million times now, is priced based on brand, not quality. i feel like this should be put atthe top of page 1 in big, bold, red lettering, so people don't keep asking about it (and it's REALLY important as well)
laugh.gif

and in no way was i personally attacking you, ad hominem, i just noticed that some of the other posters "lol'ing" if you will at peoplewho wore those mall brands.

no need to get personal, what'd he ever do to you? image anyway ES is a pretty good brand, not to diss the other people helping out in this thread, but their views on ES is a bit wrong. ES denim has actually been IMPROVING, something a lot of companies fail to do.

i know they're improving and you'll notice i commended some of they're jeans, i almost picked up a pair because i get alot of my jeans at thewholesale price(cutting out the middleman rocks) but i'm bashing the fact that they're coming out with a whole lower quality brand just to get theydenim on the folks who are uninformed. i wish i could remember the name of they're upcoming low end brand. i pretty much laughed in the ES rep's facewhen he told me about it

what do you think of the dry organic nudies?
i have a pair of SJ aged organic dry that i havent worn yet. i cant comment much on them since i havent done more than try them on but i do knowthat theyre heavier than slim jim raw indigos which i also have. i like them more than my dry indigos because of this. id take them out of my rotation buttheyre only 4 months old and not worn everyday so there isnt much going on. but the price i got on the organics was too good to pass up. sometimes i hatefinding great deals only because i dont know what to work on next. i have these nudies and a pair of imperial dukes coming in as well....decisions decisions

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

what do you think of the dry organic nudies?
i have a pair of SJ aged organic dry that i havent worn yet. i cant comment much on them since i havent done more than try them on but i do know that theyre heavier than slim jim raw indigos which i also have.

i know, i got a pair because i was offered them at a price i coudn't refuse but i want some input on them, i'll probably end up skating them tillthe crotch explodes. i got the dry organic even stevens btw

Originally Posted by yamakazi18

hmm sorry about the BB thing, i didn't know you wanted BLACK NS's. they're pretty much an endangered species 'round the internet, now that they're all the rage. i think you should just go ahead and get whatever you were going to get. by the time you get around the a pair of black NS it might be 2009 already (hopefully not though)
tongue.gif
dam, i hate to hear that because the those samurai s5000bk's really had me!
pimp.gif
and if the jeans are as hard to find as you say, maybe pre-ordering from theAPC site for $149 wouldnt be a bad idea...i just might grab a pair of blue NS from BB though

what's the word on samurai's though? I'm going to guess highly sought after and really high prices...i was trying to find some, but after notseeing them anywhere, I figured I'd be a little too novice to truly appreciate the difference between great denim and superb denim. looks like I'mstarting small.

^^^^^^
keep in contact with me if you want black NS. I'm always going home to nyc and i wouldn't mind picking up a pair of black ns for you. i just picked upa pair for myself this past weekend

that sounds awesome man, if you ever come by a pair of 29 black NS, just cop em and ill have the money paypal'd to you or M/O

thanks a lot for lookin out

what's the word on samurai's though? I'm going to guess highly sought after and really high prices...i was trying to find some, but after not seeing them anywhere, I figured I'd be a little too novice to truly appreciate the difference between great denim and superb denim. looks like I'm starting small.

If you do decide on getting some Samurais, check out Blue in Green

pimp.gif
at the consistent responses yamakazi18

i can't skate in my jeans now?
Its not that you're skating in jeans, its the fact that you're suggesting you're going to wear your ~$200 jeans specifically forskating. Skateboarding's turned into too much of a fad where people do it not because they love it, but because its been deemed cool.

i guess my denim rotation is pretty hurt according to this post because all i regularly wear are Evisu , Diesel ,& Paper Denim, with the occasional nod to1 of my few pairs of either levis, lucky or seven.

From the looks of this thread im apparently clueless about denim. Oh well i dont think im going to be changing anytime soon.

i havent read all of the replies but the main issue this thread seems to be that its named DENIM SCHOOL. its waaaay to vague to really school someone on alldenim when the definition of quality in general, from a marketers point of view, is strictly up to the consumers view point. if the consumer loves soft denimbecause if feels nice. then thats what quality is. If the consumer loves hard denim because it results in better wear in the long run. thats the definition ofquality. no one has the same definition of quality. So the arguments over whos denim is better is purely subjective.

or maybe im just drunk...

mickys really is a fine malt liquor. that we can all agree on....

yes???

Originally Posted by NinerFaithful

has anyone done or seen anybody's jeans who soaked their's in seawater? http://www.apc.fr/eu/en/jeans_recipes.php

Is there any difference in appearance

i doubt anyone has tried that, and if someone has, i doubt there is a significant, if any, difference. salt water basically inhibits bacterial growth bybeing deposited in the weave of the denim. the sand creates more friction, rubs off more nasty gunk, and rubs out some of that salt. the final freshwatertreatment washes them, so there is no more saltiness in your jeans. in a washer your detergent cleans your jeans of gunk and bacteria, then you dry them. samedifference
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Andrew630

is there a place to get APCs below retail?

this has been answered a few times. try going back through the last few pages.
Originally Posted by Andrew630

why doesnt denimbar sell APC anymore?

they do, it's just that it's sold out so quickly they don't bother to put them up online most of the time after shipments arrive at their 2actual store locations. if you call them they may still have a pair or 2 of odd sizes available.
Originally Posted by tecca nena

i havent read all of the replies but the main issue this thread seems to be that its named DENIM SCHOOL. its waaaay to vague to really school someone on all denim when the definition of quality in general, from a marketers point of view, is strictly up to the consumers view point. if the consumer loves soft denim because if feels nice. then thats what quality is. If the consumer loves hard denim because it results in better wear in the long run. thats the definition of quality. no one has the same definition of quality. So the arguments over whos denim is better is purely subjective.

this is true to an extent, hence why in my previous long post i talked about not having a scale for quality. in general quality = durability + luxuriouswhen speaking in terms of jeans. so yes, in that sense the "luxurious" feel of softer mall denim would be maxed, yet durability would be minimized.on the other hand raw denim would have max durability, but luxurious feel would be compromised; so in the end, 1+0 and 0+1 both equal 1. this is why i talkedabout denim being a choice, not an objective scale on which to judge different styles.

i assumed that most people coming into this thread have the intention of getting into more rigid jeans, and want to know about how good thehardware is on their jeans, how well they will fade, and most of all how long they will last. it ended up a bit skewed, with people thinking mall brands beinginferior (and again, refer to my long previous post). inferior in DURABILITY and CONSTRUCTION, yes, but what if you like them faded already? if you like how itdrapes? if you like the versatility of colors immediately available to you? then no.

lastly, if you look at the mall brand scale for quality, you'll see that it's more based off of NAME BRAND more than it is off of anythingthat's INTRINSIC to the jeans themselves, something that's involved in the process and production of the item. a company that does more to advertisetheir name than their "quality" is a profit-making machine, based off of trends and ever-changing fashions. brand names are more about personalchoices, and cannot be measured on such an objective scale because the items themselves have no intrinsic value built in, other than in the popularity of nameand forwardness/trendiness of design (again, both of which are personal choices). for those of you who are confused, this means "quality" denim hasan objective scale on which is measurable, like most of what has been thrown around in this thread - hardware, weave, weight, stitching, all of which can becounted on to be done in a careful and thoughtful manner.
yes i know i juxtaposed myself, but i wanted to play devil's advocate...so to give most of youboth sides of the story.
happy.gif

Let me preface my post with this, I dont know a lot about denim.

Annyway, I bought some real dark Levi 514s in early '07, and I love em. Theyre even "honeycombing" LOL

www.contextclothing.com have the new cure and rescues in stock currently but not the new standards. they are 140 w/ free shipping, so get thats an option. thathas a decent selection of independent or obscure aka non-mall brands also, they are located in madison wisconsin, call them, they might even have the newstandards, but not listed on the site. happens , worst case is they tell you no:/

okay... yamakalkakdfj18....
lemme ask a personal question i've never found on superfuture... and have never asked because of their snobish denim attitude...

do you really believe pre soaking denim is truly important to maximixing the contrasts on raw denim. regardless of the denim being safor... or unsanfor...
(im too drunk to remember the term but i'm referring to the shrinking difference between the nudies and samurais after the first soak)

honestly.... even tho i soak my jeans before i start wearing them... i actually think its more of a myth than anything that presoaking will maximize acontrast...

the theory behind it is based on the idea that the jeans will always bend and curve during wear at the same places... but NOONE wears their jeans at the samelevel in their body throughout the day... not only do people naturally pull their pants up and down all the time but they loose and tighten their belt whicheffects the placement of any fades on jeans,...... leads me to believe that presoaking to get rid of the shrinkage early and maximixe contrast is really basedmore on THEORY than actual practice... i have never seen anyone soak their jeans before hand and compare it to a non soaked piece of raw denim that was wornin...

im not saying presoaking to get rid of shrinkage doesnt work... im saying presoaking to maximize contrasts is suspect.... and based more on an unproventheory.......

what does everyone think

edit:

ehhh... now that i think about it this idea would be too hard to prove no matter what your thought are on it so nevermind...

tecca nena,

come back when you're sober
laugh.gif

i've already answered this question back on something like page 7, and i'm too lazy right now to go fetch the answer for a drunk dude
laugh.gif

if you want the short answer without the explanation, my really basic answer is no, i don't think it matters. for being drunk, your post is mostly correct,and something i would agree with.
laugh.gif

oh and btw, the word you were looking for was sanforized.
happy.gif

sweet... actually the only reason i ask is because my next project i dont want to soak.... (for one its just a rediculous hassle) i just needed reassurancebecause i am actually ALL ABOUT contrast fades... and my last pieces (nudies rrds and samurais so510 (or 5 something)) aint contrasting like i want it to....

Back
Top Bottom