Does your college suck like mine?

I guess it also depends on your major. I was pre-med, so I guess you can't expect much. Only thing I liked about UCI was the Anteater Recreational Center (ARC).

Movies like Animal House, Revenge of the Nerds and the Van Wilder movies as well as exaggerated stories of wild parties by alums create unrealistic expectations for some people. The fact is that is a giant school seems to be lost on some people. If you really want to party, get a certificate in heating and air conditioning or plumbing, get a job making 30k per year before you are 20, move out and rent an apartment for cheap in the worst part of town and spend your disposable income and free time on booze, drugs and women.

As far as UCI is concerned, I had some friends who went there, including one of my best friends. I visited by friend when he lived on campus and when he was living off campus, while it is a very sterile and suburban area, the people who joined frats and looked to party down at their frat houses in New Port did have a lot of fun.

Ultimately though, college is not like how they show it in the movies, even at a party school like UCSB, which is the alma mater of another close friend of mine, whom I visited up there several times. Isla Vista is much closer to the traditional image of a college town than Irvine is but nonetheless, my friends who went to school there said that day to day life involved a lot of studying, playing video games, hanging out and it was not a nonstop party, except for those who would flunk out in quarter or two (that is another thing they do not show in college movies, people do get F's, the professor does not care, there is no prank you can pull to get out of it, those F's have real consequences and if you keep getting F's you get sent home, more or less).

Happiness comes from within, so workout, stay healthy, avoid stressful situations as much as possible, be moderate with drink and drugs, stay up on your classes, make some good friends instead of lots of superficial friends and try to find loose girls if you are an underclassman and try finding a good girlfriend if you are an upperclassman. Doing those things will make college life better no matter where you are.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

Movies like Animal House, Revenge of the Nerds and the Van Wilder movies as well as exaggerated stories of wild parties by alums create unrealistic expectations for some people. The fact is that is a giant school seems to be lost on some people. If you really want to party, get a certificate in heating and air conditioning or plumbing, get a job making 30k per year before you are 20, move out and rent an apartment for cheap in the worst part of town and spend your disposable income and free time on booze, drugs and women.

As far as UCI is concerned, I had some friends who went there, including one of my best friends. I visited by friend when he lived on campus and when he was living off campus, while it is a very sterile and suburban area, the people who joined frats and looked to party down at their frat houses in New Port did have a lot of fun.

Ultimately though, college is not like how they show it in the movies, even at a party school like UCSB, which is the alma mater of another close friend of mine, whom I visited up there several times. Isla Vista is much closer to the traditional image of a college town than Irvine is but nonetheless, my friends who went to school there said that day to day life involved a lot of studying, playing video games, hanging out and it was not a nonstop party, except for those who would flunk out in quarter or two (that is another thing they do not show in college movies, people do get F's, the professor does not care, there is no prank you can pull to get out of it, those F's have real consequences and if you keep getting F's you get sent home, more or less).

Happiness comes from within, so workout, stay healthy, avoid stressful situations as much as possible, be moderate with drink and drugs, stay up on your classes, make some good friends instead of lots of superficial friends and try to find loose girls if you are an underclassman and try finding a good girlfriend if you are an upperclassman. Doing those things will make college life better no matter where you are.

Debbie_Downer.jpg

The truth is you are not just throwen into a big college party and are given a magical self-filling red cup with threesomes poppin every 5 mins. You make your own reality.

I'm confident that no matter where I go I'll grab some friends and have a good time whether that means getting wasted or just having a good convo. The ironic thing about this thread is that the mere reason you are writing this topic about your environment sucking is the reason that it sucks.

Originally Posted by acidicality

Originally Posted by Frank 7he T4nk

Originally Posted by yao11ming4mvp

UC Irvine sucks, practically nothing to do because it's socially awkward and there are no major sports teams here.

I go to UCSD....you know, University of California of the Socially Dead.

At least you got good looking Asian girls at your school. UCSD is TERRIBLE!

"9 out of 10 girls in San Diego are hot, the 10th goes to UCSD."
laugh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

I don't know about off campus for you though, SD is alright in that regard, PB and Downtown are good.

laugh.gif
Pretty much. UCSD is a commuter school as well, it's a very isolated campus and everything good is away from school (PB, etc.) Price Center is decent though I guess, but it looks very commercialized.
I used to not like it here during my first two years, but after I got to know more people during my 3rd/4th years things have been a lot better; I know a bunch of people in my classes now so things are quite better...part of it was just opening up and meeting people that were more similar to me.
and about the girls, yeah, most are
sick.gif
, so the ones that are even
nerd.gif
are like
eek.gif
here. Triton eyes.
laugh.gif

there are quite a few smart nerdy girls here, there are a few that are actually pretty cute like
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

yall gotta admit though... the girls did get a tad bit better than 3-4 years ago when we were freshmen/sophomores
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom