Dressing Better Vol 2.0

We had a talk about sneakers and where they fit in a while back.
For me, when I switched style, I wanted the switch to be very noticeable...like going from t shirt, jeans, and hoody one day to cardigan, tie, and dress shoes. With that said, I got rid of my sneakers...somewhat regret that decision.
My thought:

thanks for getting the ball rolling w the challenges.

lol i suck at getting things off the ground

Wanting to pick up some sweaters for the season.

Im liking these:

I usually cop my sweaters from the banana republic factory stores for cheap at around 20 bucks when they are on sale. Is the quality of jcrew worth the big price difference?

J.Crew is overpriced as all hell but if you can get the stuff on sale then it's decent

Banana Republic is a better price option because they are always having sales; their stuff sucked for a long time but I see them slowly but surely making a nice comeback

I just copped a pair of their heritage pants at their 40% off store sale this weekend; they look great with my Eastland 1955 Shermans

Last edited:
Info on these pants?

Wanting to pick up some sweaters for the season.

Im liking these:

I usually cop my sweaters from the banana republic factory stores for cheap at around 20 bucks when they are on sale. Is the quality of jcrew worth the big price difference?
Those look like old man republican sweaters. Try for more solid looks imo.

ive been asleep on this thread the past few days.
first, shouts to Sasha, i received the pins. will be posting pics with them later this week.

second, a fit to chill with some friends last night, didnt realize how wrinkly my sweater was until i was heading out the door :\ (if i knew about the sneaker challenge, i would've threw on my JPs lol)

finally, got a little trim :smile:p) in case you didn't notice

Last edited:
has anyone ever gotten their sweaters tailored? i just bought some banana republic slim fit sweaters(merino) and they're too wide. how much should i expect to get it tailored for?
Yes. You need to choose your tailor wisely though or else the resewing will look crappy. I paid about $25-30, it's been a while...can't remember exactly.

A: looks good, man. The new haircut is nice too.

RE: J. Crew being over priced, not really but I'm used to paying for pieces at Barneys. The quality of their wool is very nice, I'd put it in the same range as Paul Smith Jeans and Vince That navy blue fair isle is very nice. I bought it last week for a friend as an Xmas gift. J. Crew got pretty popular recently, and a lot of stuff don't make it to the sales anymore.

I actually dig the elbow patches...college professor steez.

I agree with argyle print. I used to like it, but not so much anymore.

Quality of the BR is usually pretty poor though. They will not hold up in the long run.

Last edited:
old man republican sweaters???

the fair isle and argyle are ok.

that elbow patch joint has got to go though

Imo the first two aren't that bad, I saw one at H&M like the elbow patch one and it was a crew neck, the crewneck one looked much better...but argyle only works on socks in my mind, I'm just not a fan of that pattern at all

RE: J. Crew and BR. They were neck by neck several years ago, but then J. Crew blew them out of the water with collabs from high quality brands like Alden, Barbour, etc. BR seriously needs to have more collabs, the Mad Men by itself isn't cutting it. The fabrics also suck severely. J. Crew is still pushing the marketing scheme by endorsing folks like the co founder of Tumblr and other young entrepreneurs. It's the only mall brand I like and shop at

I thought the Brits were all Mr. GQs? :lol:

The arms are not wide enough, waist compression is too extreme, and stacking on slacks is horrible.

tumblr_mcg0o7nsvm1qhfvmco3_250.jpg

I don't get how to tie a bow tie. I've watched like 7 videos on youtube and I don't get it. I get every up until you put the longer side over the front of the first bow tie. There's supposed to be a loop formed in the back. What they fail to mention is it is the loop of frustration and death. Any pointers?

Yes. You need to choose your tailor wisely though or else the resewing will look crappy. I paid about $25-30, it's been a while...can't remember exactly.

thanks. does anyone use waterproof shoe spray for their winter/rain boots? any recommendations?

First of all, who are you? Seems like you're a borderline troll.
Whoever that dude in the pic is, his tux looks like rubbish. Nothing good thing about it.
Just because I dont agree with something doesn't mean I'm trolling. The suit looks normal to me. Nothing wrong with it imo. Just felt there was no need to critize Tinie just because hes british.

Last edited:
I don't get how to tie a bow tie. I've watched like 7 videos on youtube and I don't get it. I get every up until you put the longer side over the front of the first bow tie. There's supposed to be a loop formed in the back. What they fail to mention is it is the loop of frustration and death. Any pointers?

re-watch the tutorials.

what helped me was to think of it like tying a shoelace

ive been asleep on this thread the past few days.
first, shouts to Sasha, i received the pins. will be posting pics with them later this week.
second, a fit to chill with some friends last night, didnt realize how wrinkly my sweater was until i was heading out the door :\ (if i knew about the sneaker challenge, i would've threw on my JPs lol)

finally, got a little trim :smile:p) in case you didn't notice

Info on shoes.

Sup, Im having trouble finding a pair of navy blue work casual work shoes.. . wondering if any of you guys can direct me to a site.
looking to spend btw 100-150ish

First of all, who are you? Seems like you're a borderline troll.
Whoever that dude in the pic is, his tux looks like rubbish. Nothing good thing about it.
+1. It has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing. I disagree with the regulars on here all the time. I also get a sense that you're here to troll due to boredom or whatever it may be as well. I digress, I'll just keep posting.

I learned how to tie a bow tie via Youtube. I actually prefer it now to actual ties.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom