Dressing Better Vol 2.0

That Gap peacoat is pretty nice for the price, saw it last week in store.

I'm in the market for some casual sneakers/boots. Desert boots would be clutch but I've never been a fan of them. Any suggestions?

That Gap peacoat is pretty nice for the price, saw it last week in store.

I'm in the market for some casual sneakers/boots. Desert boots would be clutch but I've never been a fan of them. Any suggestions?
I agree on the GAP Peacoat.
I was also in store and jackets were 50% off.

Hey G,

How many participants for the Secret Santa do we have? The deadline is rapidly approaching so I'm just curious. Thanks!

Deadline for participants to join the Dressing Better Secret Santa Activity is 12AM Pacific Standard Time on Saturday, November 3rd, 2012.

^For those wondering.

We had a talk about sneakers and where they fit in a while back.

For me, when I switched style, I wanted the switch to be very noticeable...like going from t shirt, jeans, and hoody one day to cardigan, tie, and dress shoes. With that said, I got rid of my sneakers...somewhat regret that decision.

My thought:

For me, when I switched style, I wanted the switch to be very noticeable...like going from t shirt, jeans, and hoody one day to cardigan, tie, and dress shoes. With that said, I got rid of my sneakers...somewhat regret that decision.

My thought:

I've kept a bunch of sneakers though I whittled down what I had from like 50 to 15 and those Air Max 90 are one of the pairs I kept. Most of the sneakers I buy now are for the gym/running but I still wear the more casual pairs casually. In terms of Nikes, it's almost all Air Max, some New Balance and others mixed in...I'd have to go look.

I can still wear (as a quick example) a cardigan, t-shirt, jeans that all fit well & Nikes if I'm running errands and while I wouldn't refer to it as dressing better, it's not done like I was in college and doesn't look sloppy.

Last edited:
I've kept a bunch of sneakers though I whittled down what I had from like 50 to 15 and those Air Max 90 are one of the pairs I kept. Most of the sneakers I buy now are for the gym/running but I still wear the more casual pairs casually. In terms of Nikes, it's almost all Air Max, some New Balance and others mixed in...I'd have to go look.
I can still wear (as a quick example) a cardigan, t-shirt, jeans that all fit well & Nikes if I'm running errands and while I wouldn't refer to it as dressing better, it's not done like I was in college and doesn't look sloppy.
I hear that, my man. I still have 7 pairs of sneakers, all that were bought in the recent years. I only have 2 pairs of non retro sneakers, my Asics for running and Nike ZK IVs for balling.

Like you stated, fit is everything. You can typically spot the college cats from a mile away even if they were to wear the same stuff, ie cardigan top, sweats, and sneakers. The proportion of the articles are usually way off.

Another food for thought:

The replies on the MC side of SF is also interesting. Note that these are much older folks than us: http://www.styleforum.net/t/311028/luciano-barbera-on-not-wearing-jeans-ever#post_5662036

Hey G,

How many participants for the Secret Santa do we have? The deadline is rapidly approaching so I'm just curious. Thanks!

Deadline for participants to join the Dressing Better Secret Santa Activity is 12AM Pacific Standard Time on Saturday, November 3rd, 2012.

^For those wondering.

Only a few people signed up.

sreezy36
marmourjr
ReturnBama
LyonBC1
sarteaga0408

I am wondering if anyone else is interested. PM me.

^Thanks, G. If this thing can run smoothly then I'll be happy regardless of how many signed up :smile:

My thought:

Pure example of surcoming to pressure from not only society but yourself. You can still keep your sneakers and DB. Its always been about the fit and which work well. I'm not saying go around rocking Some super colorful stuff, but just wear what you liked and try fits to match them with. Air Maxes will always have a place in my closest. Your attire should be interchangeable. You can't wear dress shoes or canvas shoes ALL THE TIME. Some of you in here even got rid of basic hoodies(I use my old streetwear hoodies for gym time in the winter, it still has a use)

Here something Small for if your just doing something casual(Mall, sight seeing, Visiting family or friends, Movies)

Or if you want to take your chick to dinner or maybe hit a bar up or maybe to a dress down day at work

Those are examples of how I DB. I'm confident in my attire and that is what matters. I didn't have to convert to some SUPPOSED manner of dressing and eliminate my hobby. I just toned down my streetwear a little and found nice button downs and I was fine. Fit is what matters

Last edited:
Only sneakers I really wear are air max 1s, janoskis, 3s,1s, jack purcells, and some sambas. Other than that I wear my sperrys most of the time. I got shoes for most occasions though so its whatever.

Last edited:
Pure example of surcoming to pressure from not only society but yourself. You can still keep your sneakers and DB. Its always been about the fit and which work well. I'm not saying go around rocking Some super colorful stuff, but just wear what you liked and try fits to match them with. Air Maxes will always have a place in my closest. Your attire should be interchangeable. You can't wear dress shoes or canvas shoes ALL THE TIME. Some of you in here even got rid of basic hoodies(I use my old streetwear hoodies for gym time in the winter, it still has a use)

Here something Small for if your just doing something casual(Mall, sight seeing, Visiting family or friends, Movies)

Or if you want to take your chick to dinner or maybe hit a bar up or maybe to a dress down day at work

Those are examples of how I DB. I'm confident in my attire and that is what matters. I didn't have to convert to some SUPPOSED manner of dressing and eliminate my hobby. I just toned down my streetwear a little and found nice button downs and I was fine. Fit is what matters
truth... and the whole notion of corporate 9-5 etc=dressing better, while nothing wrong with suits, straight leg pants etc... it doesnt mean better... I like some of the styles posted in this thread many are similar to mines (esp ksteezy in some aspects)... but comfort/ease should be a factor... im sorry when i go out casually to eat etc... my flywires lunars etc are more comfortable then some redwings/box toe shoes... to suggest wearing layers etc suits and ties etc in the summer... to me imo is just silly to me... its 90+ in some areas...it just seem iuno. I get it for some ppl who have to dress likee this because of work being apart of the corporate hamster wheel... But to just be out to dinner hitting the grocer store etc... seems to much. Out of all the pages and including the last one i rarelly saw casual wear esp... in the summer... I mean u cant wear shorts/chino shorts sneakers tees/polos and thats not dressing nice better?

Like my man niidawg while he dresses rather daper, im fro and lived in atl i can recall times of pics he posted as casual going out, full suits etc layers in atl, in the summer, at a time we had a heatwave and 100+ temp everyday... i mean yea they were nice fits, but i think some season appropriate clothes could still be dressinng nice. But i just ant see a shirt,tie,vest,blazer etc dress boots as casual cofortable etc... in 105 heat. Nor just for going someone and dining out. doesnt seem to look comfortable, i mean alot of u guys look confident etc... i not knocking at all.. im just saying there is a middle ground between oversized jean shorts/jeans dress sized tees and sneakers and looking like copy/paste different combinations of outfits from fashion magazines...

truth... and the whole notion of corporate 9-5 etc=dressing better, while nothing wrong with suits, straight leg pants etc... it doesnt mean better... I like some of the styles posted in this thread many are similar to mines (esp ksteezy in some aspects)... but comfort/ease should be a factor... im sorry when i go out casually to eat etc... my flywires lunars etc are more comfortable then some redwings/box toe shoes... to suggest wearing layers etc suits and ties etc in the summer... to me imo is just silly to me... its 90+ in some areas...it just seem iuno. I get it for some ppl who have to dress likee this because of work being apart of the corporate hamster wheel... But to just be out to dinner hitting the grocer store etc... seems to much. Out of all the pages and including the last one i rarelly saw casual wear esp... in the summer... I mean u cant wear shorts/chino shorts sneakers tees/polos and thats not dressing nice better?

Like my man niidawg while he dresses rather daper, im fro and lived in atl i can recall times of pics he posted as casual going out, full suits etc layers in atl, in the summer, at a time we had a heatwave and 100+ temp everyday... i mean yea they were nice fits, but i think some season appropriate clothes could still be dressinng nice. But i just ant see a shirt,tie,vest,blazer etc dress boots as casual cofortable etc... in 105 heat. Nor just for going someone and dining out. doesnt seem to look comfortable, i mean alot of u guys look confident etc... i not knocking at all.. im just saying there is a middle ground between oversized jean shorts/jeans dress sized tees and sneakers and looking like copy/paste different combinations of outfits from fashion magazines...
Correct my brother. The middle ground is rarely shown, which is why I posted some ideas for some

I get you. You can do all of that, it's most definitely not limited to suits and workwear. Maybe it's that the title of the thread isn't what it should be but that's what stuck. The purpose of this thread from the start was to dress more grown-up and prepared for the business world, away from streetwear and the typical NT fashion that you'd see. It's more to do with maturity in style, clothing that fits properly.

It doesn't really have to do with age but most people move away from baggy clothing as they get older, trade in the sneakers for other footwear. This is still a sneaker messageboard so there's nothing wrong with incorporating sneakers.

My only thing is, the general vibe of this particular thread was more towards how you'd dress if you're going out to a nice restaurant rather than a place that sneakers are acceptable. It doesn't mean you can't wear that otherwise or can't participate but, in general, people came here to move on from it. It's perfectly fine that the thread evolves but it's not like it's a requirement that it has to be all-encompassing. I'm not claiming to be an authority but I've been in this thread from the start because it fit what I was wearing (I never did streetwear or baggy). I wear a wide range of clothing but some of it I wouldn't say is what this thread is about.

I get you. You can do all of that, it's most definitely not limited to suits and workwear. Maybe it's that the title of the thread isn't what it should be but that's what stuck. The purpose of this thread from the start was to dress more grown-up and prepared for the business world, away from streetwear and the typical NT fashion that you'd see. It's more to do with maturity in style, clothing that fits properly.
It doesn't really have to do with age but most people move away from baggy clothing as they get older, trade in the sneakers for other footwear. This is still a sneaker messageboard so there's nothing wrong with incorporating sneakers.
My only thing is, the general vibe of this particular thread was more towards how you'd dress if you're going out to a nice restaurant rather than a place that sneakers are acceptable. It doesn't mean you can't wear that otherwise or can't participate but, in general, people came here to move on from it. It's perfectly fine that the thread evolves but it's not like it's a requirement that it has to be all-encompassing. I'm not claiming to be an authority but I've been in this thread from the start because it fit what I was wearing (I never did streetwear or baggy). I wear a wide range of clothing but some of it I wouldn't say is what this thread is about.
thats my point full suits etc... doesnt equate to maturity grown up... look at folks like mark cuban bill gates etc... ive seen guys in here who put suits/outfits moreso then those guys.... but i doubt including myself are more sucessfull,business established saavy then these guys... Plus lapels/tapers etc hw does that equate being grown up... while i do these things from time to time in scarcity... i dont think im less mature/less grown up when i wear my maxes some levis etc a tee or polo knit, any less then when im in hickey freeman...

My kids dont see me as more/less of a father... my business associates dont validate my decisions based on my outwear... Its just that the thread almost suggest suits, multi layers of various fashion=mature/being a real man/grown and it doesnt... It just would be a more fitting thread if there was a mixture of this.... I mean to have a thread in the summer and 95% of it has ppl wearing layers of clothes and suits... long sleeves etc.. rolled up as short sleeves and the same with jackets and pants... Kinda seems od... and trying to show/prove a point of hey look at me im suited and booted im grown/mature/real man/im bout business

Ikea has shoe trees for $ 1. I know some of you have your preferences, but you cant beat that price. Only con is it's in store only.

Last edited:
no sneakers yet for the challenge....wife fooling around before an e-session snapped this

8132338343_a4948ab723_b.jpg

lol

Gonna be tough to get in on this sneaker challenge here since Sandy is gonna come thru and its gonna be 40's and maybe snowing this week smh....but once we get to a fall/winter boot challenge it'll be better :lol: Hopefully we'll get a couple nice fall days though

does anyone own both alpha khakis and urban slim chinos from jcrew? i've been eyeing a lighter khaki pair on jcrew, but after browsing a bit, everyone is saying that the urbans arent really slim at all.

Target got nice ones for like 27 bucks tapered all that fly crap.

Good stuff, K. The local barista has an awesome 'stache like that but he cut it off because he said it was too much of a hassle eating food.

PSA: Even if you don't need the boots, the 40% off can come in handy with lots of other stuff.

Today:

I thought about sneakers, but was too lazy to put on socks :lol:

has anyone ever gotten their sweaters tailored? i just bought some banana republic slim fit sweaters(merino) and they're too wide. how much should i expect to get it tailored for?

Wanting to pick up some sweaters for the season.

Im liking these:

I usually cop my sweaters from the banana republic factory stores for cheap at around 20 bucks when they are on sale. Is the quality of jcrew worth the big price difference?

Back
Top Bottom