Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Once I'm in a comfortable position and I'm semi-retired and for sure plan on teaching. But as a primary source of my income - never. It's a shame, too.. educators deserve to be paid well.

I do think that teachers not making a lot of money is somewhat a fallacy. Yes there are states where the pay is abysmal for teachers; for example Florida. However, most states pay fairly well. I'll be honest and please don't take this the wrong way but I hate when people come into teaching as a second career because they either retired or it's their back-up. I just find it insulting to the profession as it makes it seem like anyone can do it. Yes we do it out of love but I'd like if I said that the money doesn't matter, it does. My wife and I make good money and that is also due to the fact that we teach in NYC but even if we taught up here by where we live in upstate we still would be making pretty good money. I'm waiting for my pay increase once the state updates my license status and should hopefully be making a little south of $80K this year with a 2% raise next year. I'm hoping it doesn't come off as trying to be pretentious about my career or what I make but I just want to clear that most teachers do not make bad money. Are we underpaid for what we do? Yes. But the compensation is pretty good financially and emotionally.

Correct.

This would deter people from going into the field I think. I tried to link up with my teachers I've had to give my thanks but they've retired :frown:

I disagree. What occurs in most large districts is that you have people who go into the profession wanting to make a difference but then see that the culture of the school is complacency and teachers doing the bare minimum. As a result they conform to those standards and do absolutely nothing. Teachers should be accountable just as everyone else on a year to year basis.

Year to yr contracts is an interesting way to combat complacency. Lord knows some college professors with tenure do not give a single damn and just make you learn by the book smh although there's definitely still good ones who you can tell definitely have a passion for it. One thing personally I don't understand whatsoever is te grading or rating of teachers in high school especially, based on test scores. That has to be one of the worst policies, it encourages teachers to teach for the test and not actually let students learn the material, a lot have been implicated in cheating scandals too. My friend had a professor at BU who refused to give a grade higher than a C+, stuff like that is absolutely ridiculous but nobody could do anything bc he was tenured...that ruins kids lives especially if they need certain grades for scholarships...might cause people to drop out and everything bc they can't afford it.

I will say on the whole, my high school teachers were way better at teaching the material and engaging you than my college professors, with some exceptions.

I disagree. What occurs in most large districts is that you have people who go into the profession wanting to make a difference but then see that the culture of the school is complacency and teachers doing the bare minimum. As a result they conform to those standards and do absolutely nothing. Teachers should be accountable just as everyone else on a year to year basis.

So what if the kids choose not to pay attention and get bad grades/don't perform well...how will this be the teacher's fault though? At a normal job, you are in control of your performance and able to meet your metrics.

Kids will be kids, a lot of them will clown around. I remember when we did popcorn reading, I would intentionally popcorn someone when I approached a big word. Most of the times, the kid won't be able to pronounce it, then I'll throw in something like "Frank can't read!" for some lolz and the class would be laughing. This was like in the 10th and 11th grade :lol:

I remember we had this weird math teacher in undergrad. Dude would just throw out random pop quizzes and had them account for an outrageous amount of your grade. I didn't care too much because I love math and it comes easy to me, but the class would be rioting. They walked into the dean's office once and stated their case. The teacher was fired at the end of the week :lol:

I remember the system really taking the cut with the budget during the tail end of my undergrad year that professors were forced to take furlough days because of mandatory paycuts. There's 2-3 teachers/professors that I would call life changing and I still keep in touch with them. They went from having great $200k+ jobs to getting a small fraction because they want to touch lives. That was when I found out why they do what they do.

Today:

Last edited:
This is the fake DB thread. You can find the real one at this web address: http://www.styleforum.net/

@SoleAsian My bad man.
laugh.gif
I'll blame it on the typing while walking/iPhone combo.
ohwell.gif
So wack but keep trying

So what if the kids choose not to pay attention and get bad grades/don't perform well...how will this be the teacher's fault though? At a normal job, you are in control of your performance and able to meet your metrics.

Kids will be kids, a lot of them will clown around. I remember when we did popcorn reading, I would intentionally popcorn someone when I approached a big word. Most of the times, the kid won't be able to pronounce it, then I'll throw in something like "Frank can't read!" for some lolz and the class would be laughing. This was like in the 10th and 11th grade :lol:

I remember we had this weird math teacher in undergrad. Dude would just throw out random pop quizzes and had them account for an outrageous amount of your grade. I didn't care too much because I love math and it comes easy to me, but the class would be rioting. They walked into the dean's office once and stated their case. The teacher was fired at the end of the week :lol:

I remember the system really taking the cut with the budget during the tail end of my undergrad year that professors were forced to take furlough days because of mandatory paycuts. There's 2-3 teachers/professors that I would call life changing and I still keep in touch with them. They went from having great $200k+ jobs to getting a small fraction because they want to touch lives. That was when I found out why they do what they do.

Today:

The culture of the school matters big time. Unfortunately most large schools, the school culture blows and the school is mediocrity so mediocrity is everywhere and is what results. Students will clown around if they are allowed too. The school, from the support staff to the administration ned to make sure that their is a culture of learning and of discipline. I work at a charter school in the South Bronx where we have the same population make up as the other high schools in the area. The difference? Our school culture. We don't accept academic mediocrity and don't put up with any negative behavioral attitude.

We've had students every year who come from middle schools where they ran the place and they come to our school thinking they can do the same. They are quickly put in their place because if the students is assigned disciplinary action by the teacher it is enforced by the administration. We will put you on a behavioral contract, meet with your parent(s)/guardian, assign you detention from 30 to 90 minutes (our school day ends at 4) and suspend the student if need be. Students come around believe it or not and we've had students who otherwise may have dropped out at another school (their words) currently freshmen and sophomore in college.

Regarding teacher evaluation, their is multiple ways to evaluate a teacher without looking at student achievement. One quick example is conducting informal/unannounced observations and formal observations of the teacher. Evaluate on student growth not on a state exam result. This is done by creating benchmark exams by administration, the teacher and their department working together to creating these benchmark exams to track growth. This is just some of the stuff we do.

Our results (we've only had 2 graduating class thus far, started with 1 grade in 2008):
Class of 2012: 98% graduation rate; College Acceptance Rate: 98%
Class of 2013: 100% graduation rate; College Acceptance Rate: 100%

Sorry for the derailment guys.

I'm going to interview with the faculty director soon to try to get into this medical program. Plan on wearing a navy suit + white shirt. Should I go with black or brown belt/shoes? I'm thinking black because brown might be too fashion-forward or informal. What color tie would go well with either combo? Thanks in advance.

I'm going to interview with the faculty director soon to try to get into this medical program. Plan on wearing a navy suit + white shirt. Should I go with black or brown belt/shoes? I'm thinking black because brown might be too fashion-forward or informal. What color tie would go well with either combo? Thanks in advance.

Black is technically formal but I don't think wearing brown is going to crush your dreams. Ties are versatile with Navy/Brown and Navy/Black. I like to wear a brown tie as well. You really can't go wrong with a lot of colors when you wear a navy suit.

thanks my man but y r you up so early.... hahaha
I'm always on call at work. Had a situation half an hour ago. Couldn't go back go to sleep, tried to cop the DB 5s, struck out and still wide awake. Might go for a morning run now.

That boy in line at Target :evil:
The Christian preachers outside been trying to convert me, bro. They don't believe I'm a Buddhist. I'll put a link up to my eBay store once the collection releases tomorrow.

Wearing camo to hold it down urban camping;

Apparently some Targets released the PL line early last week and not the tees are on ebay for $150. :lol:

Apparently some Targets released the PL line early last week and not the tees are on ebay for $150. :lol:
*Tyrese in FF2* we hungry.

On a serious note its like when folks were trying to flip the Lanvin collab with H&M for outrageous amounts. The same amounts would be able to get on sale Lanvin :lol:

We need all the comrads to report in tomorrow. Hopefully no one goes down in the heat of the battle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom