Dwayne Johnson set to play Folk Hero John Henry vol. Not black enough?

1. In that first movie (Race to Witch Mountain), those aren't his kids and that's not his wife/love interest. You're just posting pictures of the Rock with white people at this point. :lol::lol::lol:

2. Yes, he has a mixed kid in the Game Plan. That girl is the same complexion as his real-life kids. You expect him to have a dark-skinned kid?

3. Kevin Hart is cast as Kevin Hart. He has his own brand. You're trippin

she does become his love interest and they do become a makeshift family before he dropped them off bruh. did you even watch the movie?

just like in journey

I never said he doesn't have pull. I doubt you've ever gone on an audition before. Just how Hollywood works and has been working for decades now. Why you think black panther was the 1st movie of it's kind and there had never been a cast for a major blockbuster movie. Even with well established actors like were in there. Unless you're directing, executive producing, or a partner with the studios your gravitas only goes so far.
Whether I've been on an audition or not is irrelevant. The Rock not out here auditioning. These roles are clearly created for him. The same racially ambiguous swole dude saving the world. Therefore, he has even more power than most.

Whether I've been on an audition or not is irrelevant. The Rock not out here auditioning. These roles are clearly created for him. The same racially ambiguous swole dude saving the world. Therefore, he has even more power than most.

His role is created for him. What role his co stars are and who is casted for them isn't up to him if you've been paying attention to Hollywood.

Yeah, I forgot all about it until MVP MVP reminded me... I look at him verrry differently now. Disappointed really.

my quick google search says that apparently left the GOP when he realized that it wasnt a place for moderates.

as far as the rock embracing black culture, he definitely isnt/hasnt been about that life. although this season of ballers has been a change of pace, and also he does go a bit into race and his upbringing on oprahs podcast but thats pretty much it. being half black though i wont deny his blackness. aside from that im not even sure I can see the rock as an actor for this kind of roll

His role is created for him. What role his co stars are and who is casted for them isn't up to him if you've been paying attention to Hollywood.
But it is up to him to a certain extent. I've asked this question multiple times. What other known black actor has been in a movie with a all white family? Or with only white love interest? The star has the power to say what race they want their love interests and family to be. This dude is the highest box office draw at the moment. You can't convince me that he doesn't have that power. However, I want to note. If he wants to keep playing racially ambiguous roles and only have white families in movies, that's his prerogative. But, he not about to play a role as a black folk "hero" and act like people don't have a right to question that.

WAIT A MINUTE.....

the Rock is republican?

We as black people can't say we're not a monolith and simultaneously demonize black people whose political views aren't lockstep with mainstream black though. Can't have it both ways. You can be a black republican.

We as black people can't say we're not a monolith and simultaneously demonize black people whose political views aren't lockstep with mainstream black though. Can't have it both ways. You can be a black republican.

absolutely. theres levels to everything. i didnt even think it was possible to be pro black and a republican. but then i heard sonnie johnson who is 100% both. I dont agree with her views or ideology and she partakes in the same kinda of bat sh*t consipiracies as most right wing talking heads but shes definitely is pro black and conservative

Why does Rock becoming a republican matter?

Why does that make you look at him differently?

from what i read hes no longer a republican, but if were talking about how pro black he is (or isnt), the republican/conservative ideals that he does or doesnt align himself with could speak to that

He can be a republican, but is a Trump supporter?
He can be a republican but not a Trump supporter.

But in general, just wondering why bringing up his political affiliation matters in this discussion.

It is almost as if him being republican is being used as another reason as to why folks don't consider him black.

from what i read hes no longer a republican, but if were talking about how pro black he is (or isnt), the republican/conservative ideals that he does or doesnt align himself with could speak to that
We would have to know where he stood on SPECIFIC issues.

Him simply being a REP doesn't tell us much honestly.

He’s a man of color, and if it’s true he’s a republican, he’s supporting a political party that’s deeply rooted in racism and white nationalism.

Yeah you can demonize the hell out of somebody for that.

Dudes in their feelings. No one is saying he isn't black enough because he is mixed( maybe I missed that). People saying that he doesn't present himself as a black man. There are plenty of famous mixed black people and their blackness isn't questioned. Unless you follow the Rocks personal life and seen a pic of his dad, you wouldn't even know he was half black.
But, we can all agree to disagree

He can be a republican but not a Trump supporter.

But in general, just wondering why bringing up his political affiliation matters in this discussion.

It is almost as if him being republican is being used as another reason as to why folks don't consider him black.

We would have to know where he stood on SPECIFIC issues.

Him simply being a REP doesn't tell us much honestly.

i can agree with that. and to be honest, i havent heard much of the rock actually being very political either
i think for the most part he in general is about getting a check. and if hes not hurting anyone in the process i cant hate

Dudes in their feelings. No one is saying he isn't black enough because he is mixed( maybe I missed that). People saying that he doesn't present himself as a black man. There are plenty of famous mixed black people and their blackness isn't questioned. Unless you follow the Rocks personal life and seen a pic of his dad, you wouldn't even know he was half black.
But, we can all agree to disagree

The ***** name is DWAYNE JOHNSON.

There are definitely dudes saying he doesn't look the part of John Henry. Naming Terry crews, Taye Diggs, etc.

He’s a man of color, and if it’s true he’s a republican, he’s supporting a political party that’s deeply rooted in racism and white nationalism.

Yeah you can demonize the hell out of somebody for that.
Not to turn this into a political battle, but couldn't we also make the claim that the DEM party is rooted in racism as well?

I mean these ARE the two dominant parties of THIS racist nation.

I come in peace

The "going hard" part doesn't apply to Dwayne because he opted not to address what he is. Of course the others might feel like they have to do it, but before those others were introduced into the convo, we acknowledged that Rock simply shies away from those convos.

His decision. He has to live with it

Serious question, and maybe this was addressed earlier.

DOES he shy away from discussing blackness? Does he avoid discussing his race and thoughts on politics?

I read his WWF autobiography in middle school. He was pretty open about being half black and how important it was to him to embrace that as much as his Samoan side.

He’s also been pretty open about being republican and religious (being raised in Florida and Polynesian) but also anti-current repunlican party.

I’ve never really seen him shy away from discussing anything?

both parties are racist af and have no real interest in black people if we're keeping it a buck. Both gained on the blood and sweat of my ancestors.

The ***** name is DWAYNE JOHNSON.
Lol. Some people don't even know his name is Dwayne. More people just know him as the rock. But in this age, I don't trust names anymore. There is a white movie producer name Maurice Smith.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom