Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cuphead

• Borderlands 3

• Bethesda's unnanounced game?

• Total voters
If the Xbox one x was a playstation system I'd probably buy one, $500 be damned.

I'm real curious to see how things play out with these mid-gen upgrades.

From what I see, they both will be commercial failures. Hardly anyone was talking about the PlayStation Pro at all this E3. I don't even think Sony really focused on it during the presentation. The Xbox One X hasn't created any buzz at all. New hardware is supposed to capture the imagination and more people were talking about the Dragon Ball Fighter after the XBox event.

The price point is a big drawback for most consumers as well. The biggest problem with these mid-gen upgrades is there isn't much need for them. At this point there will be no exclusive content to differentiate these 4K boxes from the OG PS4 and XB1. Not to mention these consoles are bottle-necked by the outdated architecture found on the original systems.

At the end of the day they are both niche consoles. They are aimed to please the graphic centered fan bases who would prefer to play console games than jump to a PC.

Last edited:
From what I see, they both will be commercial failures. Hardly anyone was talking about the PlayStation Pro at all this E3. I don't even think Sony really focused on it during the presentation. The Xbox One X hasn't created any buzz at all. New hardware is supposed to capture the imagination and more people were talking about the Dragon Ball Fighter after the XBox event.

The price point is a big drawback for most consumers as well. The biggest problem with these mid-gen upgrades is there isn't much need for them. At this point there will be no exclusive content to differentiate these 4K boxes from the OG PS4 and XB1. Not to mention these consoles are bottle-necked by the outdated architecture found on the original systems.

At the end of the day they are both niche consoles. They are aimed to please the graphic centered fan bases who would prefer to play console games than jump to a PC.
They are intended for the more hardcore consumer or those who really want the stronger performing console of the ones they have. Imo they are niche consoles because they aren't targeted for all consumers which is why there is a PS4 Slim and Xbox One S but both MS and Sony know that there is a demographic in their audiences who will buy them because there are people who will always look for a stranger console. As for the PS4 Pro there really isn't much need for Sony to talk about the Pro tho since it has been out for a while, so what else has to be said about it? 

Looks like all gimmicks to me TBH. "4k" is the new buzzword this year. I'm sure folks will be lining up for these consoles at first, but I really don't see the "need" for it. Remains to be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing that Sony and Microsoft both believe the market for these type of consoles is more than big enough to push these out like this. It'll be hard to tell even within a year if its successful or not. 1st year sales don't mean so much especially in this case as these systems are designed for the more dedicated gamer, who would most likely be early adopters anyways. Casual gamers usually come much later and these aren't intended for them.

For me, easy pass. The main reason I would buy a system is for games that aren't on the past generation. I get it for the tech heads though.

Actually Sony said 1 in 5 PS4's sold are Pros and that's with shortages because they didn't think it would do as well as it did so they've ramped up production of it.
Also 40% of pro sales were upgrades so there's a market for it. Niche you can argue but commercial failure, not at this moment for the Pro.

Mid gen upgrades will never get the same buzz as a brand new console since it's based on the same console. A PS4 pro is still a PS4. If you want the better experience then you get the pro.
I got the pro alongside a 4K TV and it was worth the price for the IQ boost in FFXV and Horizon especially with HDR.

Biggest improvement for me those was in PS VR games.

Last edited:
Spencer responded to Jim Ryan's insinuation that crossplay is unsafe for children

Seemed bothered

I'm guessing these upgrades are gonna extend the life of this console generation, something I hoped would come back to the normal range after last gen's extended cycle.

It's just stupid pr talk. We know the real reason why they aren't doing it and they'd be slammed if the came out and just said that.

Last edited:
I'm not infatuated with crossplay

I just think the excuse Sony gave was really dumb

It is. They just being petty. Like MS did back in the 360/PS3 days. If MS is the leader next gen, we might see the same thing

Last edited:
Actually Sony said 1 in 5 PS4's sold are Pros and that's with shortages because they didn't think it would do as well as it did so they've ramped up production of it.
Also 40% of pro sales were upgrades so there's a market for it. Niche you can argue but commercial failure, not at this moment for the Pro.

Mid gen upgrades will never get the same buzz as a brand new console since it's based on the same console. A PS4 pro is still a PS4. If you want the better experience then you get the pro.
I got the pro alongside a 4K TV and it was worth the price for the IQ boost in FFXV and Horizon especially with HDR.

Biggest improvement for me those was in PS VR games.

I think the Pro was worth the price as well and don't think 4K is a gimmick at all. The visuals that some of these games are able to achieve is amazing; and for the most part, we haven't even scratched the surface. I would imagine that the PS5 will be targeting native 4K @ 60 fps easy and with the Pro, Sony and the developers already know how to push this technology and what's needed to advance it even further.

PS4 Pro is one of the best investments I have made outside of my leather weekend/duffel bag :lol:

My bag is flames :pimp:

Use it all the time too

I'm not infatuated with crossplay

I just think the excuse Sony gave was really dumb

Yea the reply was dumb. He could have made up anything but he chose that route.
Jim Ryan been collecting all the L's this week with Phil Spencer in 2nd place.

I think the Pro was worth the price as well and don't think 4K is a gimmick at all. The visuals that some of these games are able to achieve is amazing; and for the most part, we haven't even scratched the surface. I would imagine that the PS5 will be targeting native 4K @ 60 fps easy and with the Pro, Sony and the developers already know how to push this technology and what's needed to advance it even further.

Native 4k will definitely be the new standard for the next gen consoles.

framerate though is a design choice so 30fps is not going anywhere. The vast majority care more about visuals than framerate.

It's just stupid pr talk. We know the real reason why they aren't doing it and they'd be slammed if the came out and just said that.
It ain't working, unfortunately.  Sony is getting slammed now by a ton of video game media outlets for these multiple absurd/asinine reasons for why they've avoided crossplay.

They're not gonna get a positive public response no matter what they say.

All Sony PR team had to instruct everyone to say is, "We're still trying to work out discussions on such a support.........." 

Yeah, it still isn't a great reason, but at least it doesn't sound ******ed AND it won't give away the true reason for why they won't do crossplay.

Last edited:
Protect the kids

Until the play online call of dutt and get sent back in time with the racism and bigotry

^^^^

:rofl:

I feel you though :x

It is wild man. Hardcore gamers are usually depressed people anyway and they could just be lashing out but still man :lol:

I believe that Halo 2 was the first big console shooter where people were actually chatting normally. And this was way before YouTube comments and I was straight shocked at the racism :lol:

Last edited:
I understand they can't just come out and say "we don't want to do anything that benefits our competition", but almost ANYTHING would have been better than "we gotta protect the kids" :lol:

Sucks for PS4 Minecraft players tho...will they still be getting the "Super Duper" update thing?

I understand they can't just come out and say "we don't want to do anything that benefits our competition", but almost ANYTHING would have been better than "we gotta protect the kids" :lol:

Sucks for PS4 Minecraft players tho...will they still be getting the "Super Duper" update thing?
Yeah they could've said anything and it could've been better but people would still find something to criticize about what they say. But the excuse they gave was just really bad

Yeah they could've said anything and it could've been better but people would still find something to criticize about what they say. But the excuse they gave was just really bad

Can't win with games and/or these companies period IMO. Never enough. Consumers/gamers usually put way too much of their feel goods into these products. And when they don't make a decision that fits their agenda or when they release a patch the messes with or changes Ryu's frames on block people completely unravel.

I can't wait until people complain about the new COD claiming it is the same ole thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom