engagement /marriage thread.

being in this thread again has triggered something that bothers me. how many dudes propose to their girls without basically knowing for sure they're gonna say yes? in fact, why would you do that? there's no damn way I wanna be married to someone unless I have a good idea of what kind of person she is. my wife and I dated and lived together for years before we got married. I knew damn well she was gonna say yes way before I even thought about buying a ring. we discussed getting married BEFORE I proposed. anyone that gets rejected on a proposal basically deserves that embarrassment (I think - I could be wrong though).
I think you have to factor in where you two are in life as well. I’m sure there have been “No”s that really meant “I’m not ready yet”. Marriage and everything that comes with it is a major commitment, emotionally and financially.

With that said, I wholeheartedly agree that you should know yourself, the person and where they are at mentally before proposing. If you haven’t talked about marriage and kids then it’s best to hold off on proposing until you do. I’d gladly sacrifice a bit of the surprise to avoid blindsiding my partner with a proposal when they haven’t had time to process what a future with me meant.

I was 99.9% sure she’d say yes because we talked about marriage and kids beforehand. The .1% came from the fact she admitted after the fact she wasn’t expecting me to propose when I did. Simply because I got the ring without taking her ring shopping :lol:

She said yes

Attachments

• E06BCA90-DEEB-41CB-8AC5-4F51D43CD11C.jpeg
    E06BCA90-DEEB-41CB-8AC5-4F51D43CD11C.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 222
Posted in TAN but forgot about this thread. Got married on the 23rd of June. We basically just hired a photographer and she scouted some places for us. We rented a cabin in the woods in Virginia and hiked a bit in the Shenandoah and knocked it out. We had reached out to an officiant a month prior he agreed and met us there and we did it.
This is how I'd do it, hopefully whoever ol girl is on board with that and some fab on the speakers.

Posted in TAN but forgot about this thread. Got married on the 23rd of June. We basically just hired a photographer and she scouted some places for us. We rented a cabin in the woods in Virginia and hiked a bit in the Shenandoah and knocked it out. We had reached out to an officiant a month prior he agreed and met us there and we did it.

Cool.

So you had your "ceremony" in the SHenandoah or yall just took pics there?

I thought you were Black man. :lol:

Cool.

So you had your "ceremony" in the SHenandoah or yall just took pics there?

I thought you were Black man. :lol:

Did the whole ceremony there it was me...the wife...our photographer and the officiant

I started a PYP thread like years ago and the comment that i got the most was that "you're white?!?!?!" :lol:

Not to get too personal but how did you pull that off? Like others have said it is wild she agreed to it.

Does she have family in the area?

If yes, I am sure they were in their feelings.

It was definitely not easy to convince people. Her family is local and half of mine is. And honestly COVID really made it turn out to be the right decision but we had told everyone we were going to do it pre-COVID.

She was on board from the jump so that wasn't a hard sell. She was the one who found our photographer and got the ball rolling. She just wanted to be married and wanted it to be low stress. I turn 33 this year and she turns 30. So we are saving for a house and want to start a family and I want her to be on my health insurance so she can start working part time when she gets pregnant. We just didn't want to throw any real cash at a wedding with other priorities.

But the parents were bitter at first. The one thing i didn't take into account was the optics for old people. Her dad told me that all of their friends thought we did it because they didn't approve of me marrying their daughter and we "ran-off" to get married. I definitely never looked at it like that until he tole me.

But once covid is over we will probably have a big party or something but half my family is in florida my dads wife (step mom #2) is high risk my wifes grandmother is in an old folks home that had COVID going around. So no one is really ready to get together any time soon. We just wanted to be able to get our lives moving as a unit

Anyone have experience with planning a backyard wedding (20-30 people)?

jking0821 jking0821 Low stress is the theme for us too. Moving and buying a home was our top priority (getting a new construction) with a nice honeymoon in second. Wanted to put money towards down payment and furnishing instead of a wedding. Neither of us want a big ceremony and we both got wedding fatigue after both of us being in multiple wedding parties. Our backyard won’t be the biggest but should be enough space for a small gathering with close family. Then a little later down the line we’d do a mini-honeymoon by flying back home and going out with friends to celebrate.

How the **** did yall pay for your weddings

Looking like we arent having one lol. Doesnt bother me at all but i know she wants one

Looking like we arent having one lol. Doesnt bother me at all but i know she wants one

Just do backyard and ball out on the honeymoon... Whenever travel is allowed.
We decided a budget on how much we'd be willing to spend and did it 50/50 split but now with corona we moved to 2021 for the big one estimate was 40k :sick: but with corona might be less than 25k and dropping of guests.
The guest list is the worst and trickiest part as that's where the cost lies. You think you won't have that many but some entitled friends fam gonna be asking for plus 1s and crap of people you don't even know.
It's still worth to have the real close fam and friends all at the same time but who knows whens the next gathering gonna be.

The company I had been at for five years got bought and I got a somewhat large payout on my stock options. So basically I got lucky, since no one was helping us with our wedding. Did a destination wedding to keep costs somewhat reasonable and weed out the people we didn’t care if they attended or not.

I guess I'm kinda lucky in that I made my circle of friends a lot smaller over the years and don't have much family in America. The guest list for me would be small if I ever get married.

My fiance/her parents are paying for ours

I have friends that have saved up for a while until they can do it the way they like if one of them really wants a wedding.

are they financing wedding ceremonies yet?

I feel like verything in america u can finance, only a matter of time.

I'm sure you can, to some degree. Friends of mine had to obviously cancel their wedding, but was talking to them during the process; they put down deposits and just had to make payments towards the services and have it paid in full by the wedding date.

If you're crafty, you can save a lot on certain things, like decor. Knowing the right people who can help out helps, too (florists, caterers, DJs, photographers). Speaking of photographers - always factor in a meal for them. So many people treat their wedding photographers like ****, and I don't get it.

When my mom got re-married a few years ago, I think the whole thing cost her about $6500. That was venue (was this nice outdoor bar in Akron), catering, alcohol (open bar with certain liquors and all beers), dress, stepdad's suit, etc. I paid for the photographer since they were a friend of mine, and that was my gift to them. They have really good rates ($500/day + food, hotel, and travel).

If anyone needs wedding photographer recommendations, I oddly know a lot of them. Most are CA based, but if travel is covered, they'll obviously go wherever.

Back
Top Bottom