Engagement rings - - - DOes and DON'Ts, advice and recommendations

For those that have made the step, do you have any advice regarding the purchase of the ring? Where, when in the year.... basically things that you wish you knew before the fact.

Looking ahead a little here......... the industry can be a scam I feel, so you got to get the most bang for the bucks 
grin.gif

Thanks for the two of you that answer.
wink.gif

For those that have made the step, do you have any advice regarding the purchase of the ring? Where, when in the year.... basically things that you wish you knew before the fact.

Looking ahead a little here......... the industry can be a scam I feel, so you got to get the most bang for the bucks 
grin.gif

Thanks for the two of you that answer.
wink.gif

If you do not know what she wants, get a 'stand in' ring until you can go back with her and get something she'd like. You do not want her to end up like Carrie from sex and the city.

I picked out my own ring, so I'm no help there.

If you do not know what she wants, get a 'stand in' ring until you can go back with her and get something she'd like. You do not want her to end up like Carrie from sex and the city.

I picked out my own ring, so I'm no help there.

Hope everything works out for you and that your lady loves the ring.  Make sure you know the cut (type of diamond ring) your girl wants.  Also, you want to make sure you get your ring appraised from somebody independently before you actually purchase the ring........very importatnt.  Once you get the ring appraised you then add it onto your insurance policy just in case anything were to happen to the ring so that you don't lose out on the money you spent for it.  To get a quick tutorial on rings and the ins and outs of them go to bluenile.com.     

Hope everything works out for you and that your lady loves the ring.  Make sure you know the cut (type of diamond ring) your girl wants.  Also, you want to make sure you get your ring appraised from somebody independently before you actually purchase the ring........very importatnt.  Once you get the ring appraised you then add it onto your insurance policy just in case anything were to happen to the ring so that you don't lose out on the money you spent for it.  To get a quick tutorial on rings and the ins and outs of them go to bluenile.com.     

buy a solid diamond, then go somewhere and get it placed... go somewhere high end, it's worth it in the long run cause you save money either way buying your own rock.

as for time to ask, if you know you're ready then think of how you are gonna ask, then plan accordingly (example: if you know you wanna surprise her during xmas, then ask in december. or if you wanna do it in front of the family, plan during a family party)

pm me if you need help. just made the plunge but did it the right way.

ps - ask parents for permission, it's hardly done anymore but it is the classy way to go

To be completely honest, my wife picked her own ring out.
I bought it and kept it. She wasn't allowed to wear it. Hell, I hid it from her, so she couldn't sneak a peek or wear it around.
It's not like it was a secret that we were getting married.
laugh.gif

It wasn't the surprise of me actually proposing, it was the fact of when and where I was going to do it..
Single stone, platinum band, about a carat. very plain, but it's exactly what she wanted.

-J-

buy a solid diamond, then go somewhere and get it placed... go somewhere high end, it's worth it in the long run cause you save money either way buying your own rock.

as for time to ask, if you know you're ready then think of how you are gonna ask, then plan accordingly (example: if you know you wanna surprise her during xmas, then ask in december. or if you wanna do it in front of the family, plan during a family party)

pm me if you need help. just made the plunge but did it the right way.

ps - ask parents for permission, it's hardly done anymore but it is the classy way to go

To be completely honest, my wife picked her own ring out.
I bought it and kept it. She wasn't allowed to wear it. Hell, I hid it from her, so she couldn't sneak a peek or wear it around.
It's not like it was a secret that we were getting married.
laugh.gif

It wasn't the surprise of me actually proposing, it was the fact of when and where I was going to do it..
Single stone, platinum band, about a carat. very plain, but it's exactly what she wanted.

-J-

This is a round cut with a 4 prong Tiffany setting.  It's what my lady wanted.
gi_1045_f.jpg

They say you're suppose to spend 3 months pay on the ring.  If you really want it to be a surprise I would get with a stand-in. 

Are you planning to go certified?

This is a round cut with a 4 prong Tiffany setting.  It's what my lady wanted.
gi_1045_f.jpg

They say you're suppose to spend 3 months pay on the ring.  If you really want it to be a surprise I would get with a stand-in. 

Are you planning to go certified?

Originally Posted by xanadu one

buy what you can afford. plain and simple.

do not start your relationship based on a debt.

if you don't have the money now. then wait.

try http://www.diamondnexuslabs.com/
spot on.  i mean its kinda bootleg if you are effectively buying your girl a ring with her own money (coming into the marriage with ring associated debt).

my advice (along the same vein as what Xanadu said) dont get caught up in the moment.  I had been saving up for a ring for almost 2 years and I wanted to get my girl something real nice for when the moment came.  I started shopping the minute I knew I had the money in CASH so I wouldn't have to worry bout financing it.  My original plan was to save 15, and spend anywhere between 10-13.  I was going to use whatever was leftover to buy myself a new TV as an engagement gift to myself.  I was working with a couple different jewelers, basically spending every Saturday for MONTHS going back to look at new stones.  Each time I saw a new round of stones, I kept getting more and more
eek.gif
 and next thing I knew, I had talked myself into spending more than originally planned.  Ended up burning the entire budget.  Lucky for me, my wife (fiance at the time) ended up getting me new flatscreen for Xmas so it wasnt a total loss on my part.

edit:

^^ that is the exact setup that I got the wife (but not from Tiffanys.... cant afford that).  4 prong Tiffany style solitaire set with 1.83ct round stone.  I think I overpaid, but no sense crying over spilled milk.   

Originally Posted by xanadu one

buy what you can afford. plain and simple.

do not start your relationship based on a debt.

if you don't have the money now. then wait.

try http://www.diamondnexuslabs.com/
spot on.  i mean its kinda bootleg if you are effectively buying your girl a ring with her own money (coming into the marriage with ring associated debt).

my advice (along the same vein as what Xanadu said) dont get caught up in the moment.  I had been saving up for a ring for almost 2 years and I wanted to get my girl something real nice for when the moment came.  I started shopping the minute I knew I had the money in CASH so I wouldn't have to worry bout financing it.  My original plan was to save 15, and spend anywhere between 10-13.  I was going to use whatever was leftover to buy myself a new TV as an engagement gift to myself.  I was working with a couple different jewelers, basically spending every Saturday for MONTHS going back to look at new stones.  Each time I saw a new round of stones, I kept getting more and more
eek.gif
 and next thing I knew, I had talked myself into spending more than originally planned.  Ended up burning the entire budget.  Lucky for me, my wife (fiance at the time) ended up getting me new flatscreen for Xmas so it wasnt a total loss on my part.

edit:

^^ that is the exact setup that I got the wife (but not from Tiffanys.... cant afford that).  4 prong Tiffany style solitaire set with 1.83ct round stone.  I think I overpaid, but no sense crying over spilled milk.   

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

Don't do it a family event. That's just not cool. I hate these big set up things. My sister and her husband went out to a local beauty spot on New Years Day to 'get engaged'. Typical of their relationship but I hated the fact that it was planned - and even more so that they planned it together.

Originally Posted by Smokey13

They say you're suppose to spend 3 months pay on the ring.
That's just one of those myths perpetuated by people who value their relationship on their jewelry - that and people who make/sell jewelry.

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

Don't do it a family event. That's just not cool. I hate these big set up things. My sister and her husband went out to a local beauty spot on New Years Day to 'get engaged'. Typical of their relationship but I hated the fact that it was planned - and even more so that they planned it together.

Originally Posted by Smokey13

They say you're suppose to spend 3 months pay on the ring.
That's just one of those myths perpetuated by people who value their relationship on their jewelry - that and people who make/sell jewelry.

Buy what u can afford, but make it so she can at least flash it in her friends faces as many women like to do when they get engaged. I bought my wife a 1/2ct. from Kays. Though it wasn't as big as a ct. and up, it was still a pretty decent size.

U don't wanna go big for the engagement ring b/c for an anniversary, u have to top that in size.

Buy what u can afford, but make it so she can at least flash it in her friends faces as many women like to do when they get engaged. I bought my wife a 1/2ct. from Kays. Though it wasn't as big as a ct. and up, it was still a pretty decent size.

U don't wanna go big for the engagement ring b/c for an anniversary, u have to top that in size.

Read up on cut, clarity, and color. It's not all about the carat. You can have 1 carat diamond and that thing can be dull as hell. WhiteFlash and Blue Nile are great online sites. I was to scared to spend thousands of dollars online for a diamond so I went with a jewelry store. If you want to save money stay away from the mall shops they have high markups. 
At the end of the day, if she is truly the one,  your lady will appreciate any ring you get her. Don't forget you guys got the wedding and honeymoon to cover also. That gets expensive. Good luck man.

Back
Top Bottom