Engagement rings - - - DOes and DON'Ts, advice and recommendations

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Buy what u can afford, but make it so she can at least flash it in her friends faces as many women like to do when they get engaged. I bought my wife a 1/2ct. from Kays. Though it wasn't as big as a ct. and up, it was still a pretty decent size.

U don't wanna go big for the engagement ring b/c for an anniversary, u have to top that in size.

EXACTLY! 
laugh.gif
  my wife is counting down the years to our 10th anniversary!  I'm 4 years so far.

Buy what u can afford, but make it so she can at least flash it in her friends faces as many women like to do when they get engaged. I bought my wife a 1/2ct. from Kays. Though it wasn't as big as a ct. and up, it was still a pretty decent size.

U don't wanna go big for the engagement ring b/c for an anniversary, u have to top that in size.

EXACTLY! 
laugh.gif
  my wife is counting down the years to our 10th anniversary!  I'm 4 years so far.

Originally Posted by capricdragon

if your girl loves you, technically the size of the diamond shouldn't matter... that being said, don't go buying her some little pebble diamond.
laugh.gif

But she has to walk around with it on. Her friends NOT saying, "Oh it looks nice" I am sure will affect her. No matter how much we make it all about love, it is a superficial aspect of it all. They want it to look nice. If it doesn't, you will be badmouthed by the friends. And YES that matters to females. Doesn't mean it isn't real love, just means it is a superficial practice from the jump that will be judged no matter what.

if your girl loves you, technically the size of the diamond shouldn't matter... that being said, don't go buying her some little pebble diamond.
laugh.gif

But she has to walk around with it on. Her friends NOT saying, "Oh it looks nice" I am sure will affect her. No matter how much we make it all about love, it is a superficial aspect of it all. They want it to look nice. If it doesn't, you will be badmouthed by the friends. And YES that matters to females. Doesn't mean it isn't real love, just means it is a superficial practice from the jump that will be judged no matter what.

EXACTLY! 
laugh.gif

oh man! I was planning to get my wife a diamond everytime she gave birth to my kids....
embarassed.gif

EXACTLY! 
laugh.gif

oh man! I was planning to get my wife a diamond everytime she gave birth to my kids....
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

laugh.gif

Basically, you hit it on the head, no matter how simple and not materialistic a female is, this is the one superficial/materialistic thing you better get right
roll.gif

laugh.gif

Basically, you hit it on the head, no matter how simple and not materialistic a female is, this is the one superficial/materialistic thing you better get right
roll.gif

Originally Posted by ksteezy

If I ever get married this is something I can't wrap my finger around. Man somebody is going to have to drug me because I know I will never ever feel like I am wasting money more than if I ever buy an engagement ring and then have to buy a damn wedding ring.

I would love to meet Mrs DC...she will have to ^^^be a complete different breed of woman, from my experience, to a woman an engagement ring is probably more important than the actual wedding band, just to let you know.
from my experience, the engagement ring also costs a whole lot more than the wedding band.  I think my wife's wedding band was like 10% of what her engagement ring cost.

my own wedding band?  I went to the DCAllAmerican School of Finance and got mine on Amazon for $29.95 + tax
happy.gif
.  I actually bought 2 of them in different sizes cause sometimes my fingers swell up or if like I jam my finger playing bball or something.

If I ever get married this is something I can't wrap my finger around. Man somebody is going to have to drug me because I know I will never ever feel like I am wasting money more than if I ever buy an engagement ring and then have to buy a damn wedding ring.

I would love to meet Mrs DC...she will have to ^^^be a complete different breed of woman, from my experience, to a woman an engagement ring is probably more important than the actual wedding band, just to let you know.
from my experience, the engagement ring also costs a whole lot more than the wedding band.  I think my wife's wedding band was like 10% of what her engagement ring cost.

my own wedding band?  I went to the DCAllAmerican School of Finance and got mine on Amazon for $29.95 + tax
happy.gif
.  I actually bought 2 of them in different sizes cause sometimes my fingers swell up or if like I jam my finger playing bball or something.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

happy.gif

roll.gif
Hold on you bought your own band? That is how it works?

Did it turn green yet?
roll.gif

How much was the one you bought your wife?

happy.gif

roll.gif

Did it turn green yet?
roll.gif

happy.gif

roll.gif

Did it turn green yet?
roll.gif

hahahaha i had no idea.  i mean... me and the wife pretty much have had our finances intermingled even before we got engaged (i knew early that she was the one for me AND she makes significantly more money than me so I had little to lose).

the ring money was something i was saving on the side away from our joint finances.

i think her wedding band was like $1,300-1,500 or something like that?  99% sure it was under 2 grand.

No green fingers yet!  Tungsten Carbide FTW!

happy.gif

roll.gif

Did it turn green yet?
roll.gif

hahahaha i had no idea.  i mean... me and the wife pretty much have had our finances intermingled even before we got engaged (i knew early that she was the one for me AND she makes significantly more money than me so I had little to lose).

the ring money was something i was saving on the side away from our joint finances.

i think her wedding band was like $1,300-1,500 or something like that?  99% sure it was under 2 grand.

No green fingers yet!  Tungsten Carbide FTW!

My time has come this year. Gotta pop the question this year. Hoping to get a three stone atleast 1 carat. Trying to stay under 2500.

I wont hold my breath.

My time has come this year. Gotta pop the question this year. Hoping to get a three stone atleast 1 carat. Trying to stay under 2500.

I wont hold my breath.

Originally Posted by big1236

EXACTLY! 
laugh.gif

embarassed.gif

Better keep ur jimmy in ur pants then
laugh.gif

But yea, come 10yrs, I'll splurge. I dropped $1200 for my wife's engagement ring (know I got beat
30t6p3b.gif
) and she dropped about a stack for our bands and an enhancer. Would've been less but she insisted that I get diamonds in my band. 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by big1236

EXACTLY! 
laugh.gif

embarassed.gif

Better keep ur jimmy in ur pants then
laugh.gif

But yea, come 10yrs, I'll splurge. I dropped $1200 for my wife's engagement ring (know I got beat
30t6p3b.gif
) and she dropped about a stack for our bands and an enhancer. Would've been less but she insisted that I get diamonds in my band. 
eyes.gif

laugh.gif

roll.gif
This is so true. lol

laugh.gif

roll.gif
This is so true. lol

happy.gif

roll.gif

Did it turn green yet?
roll.gif

Tradition is the guy pays for the girls wedding band and vice versa.

happy.gif

roll.gif

Did it turn green yet?
roll.gif

Tradition is the guy pays for the girls wedding band and vice versa.

Thousands of dollars? I can't do it man.

So wait, people outdo themselves after 5, 10 years? Really? Wow. You are right SKeezzy, no matter how unmaterialistic a woman is, she still has to face her friends. I hate it.

Maybe because I am so damn non-materialistic I can't see the joy in it but man there has to be an alternative to a damn ring. I don't even WANT a ring.

I am a simple dude, I just don't care about that mess man.

Originally Posted by Crumps Brother

like others said...don't overspend...buy what you can afford

stay away from chain retailers...i got mine from a jeweler in the diamond district in NYC...drove 200 miles there and 200 miles back for 3 or 4 Mondays in a row until i found the right one...and it was worth it
roll.gif
Got damn dude that is at least 3 hours each way. 3 or 4 times? Damn. Not enough love in the world for that.

Back
Top Bottom