Engagement rings - - - DOes and DON'Ts, advice and recommendations

Read up on cut, clarity, and color. It's not all about the carat. You can have 1 carat diamond and that thing can be dull as hell. WhiteFlash and Blue Nile are great online sites. I was to scared to spend thousands of dollars online for a diamond so I went with a jewelry store. If you want to save money stay away from the mall shops they have high markups. 
At the end of the day, if she is truly the one,  your lady will appreciate any ring you get her. Don't forget you guys got the wedding and honeymoon to cover also. That gets expensive. Good luck man.

Originally Posted by i rock jordanz

Read up on cut, clarity, and color. It's not all about the carat. You can have 1 carat diamond and that thing can be dull as hell. WhiteFlash and Blue Nile are great online sites. I was to scared to spend thousands of dollars online for a diamond so I went with a jewelry store. If you want to save money stay away from the mall shops they have high markups. 
At the end of the day, if she is truly the one,  your lady will appreciate any ring you get her. Don't forget you guys got the wedding and honeymoon to cover also. That gets expensive. Good luck man.
of these 3, the hardest and most important one to be aware of is CUT (not to be confused with shape)

you can have a stone with good clarity and color but it wont look as shimmery bling if it has a bad cut (vice versa too, a well cut stone with slightly lower grade clarity and color may look "better").

my jeweler was trying to explain and teach me about some of it, but to be honest, i still dont entirely understand it.  Try to google some articles about proper angles/measurements of the table, girdle, height to depth proportions, etc... etc... you want to be lookin for.  if you are really serious about getting a well cut stone, you definitely want to look only at certified stones because the certificate will lay out what all the measurements are.

i've gone along with buddys who are also ring shopping and i've seen HUGE price gaps between stones that supposedly have similar specs.  I'm talking 4 digit price differences between 2 stones that are the same carat size, color, and clarity. 

If you get a "stand in" ring make sure the diamond isn't bigger than the one you're actually going to get her.  How would that look you ask her to marry her with a big @ss 1.5 carat diamond, then the next day trade it in for a .25 carat hahahaa...

If you get a "stand in" ring make sure the diamond isn't bigger than the one you're actually going to get her.  How would that look you ask her to marry her with a big @ss 1.5 carat diamond, then the next day trade it in for a .25 carat hahahaa...

Originally Posted by i rock jordanz

of these 3, the hardest and most important one to be aware of is CUT (not to be confused with shape)

you can have a stone with good clarity and color but it wont look as shimmery bling if it has a bad cut (vice versa too, a well cut stone with slightly lower grade clarity and color may look "better").

my jeweler was trying to explain and teach me about some of it, but to be honest, i still dont entirely understand it.  Try to google some articles about proper angles/measurements of the table, girdle, height to depth proportions, etc... etc... you want to be lookin for.  if you are really serious about getting a well cut stone, you definitely want to look only at certified stones because the certificate will lay out what all the measurements are.

i've gone along with buddys who are also ring shopping and i've seen HUGE price gaps between stones that supposedly have similar specs.  I'm talking 4 digit price differences between 2 stones that are the same carat size, color, and clarity. 

Propose to her at some place that's special to her/the both of you. Don't pick some fancy restaurant that you're never gonna visit again.

Originally Posted by kdawg

Don't do it a family event. That's just not cool. I hate these big set up things. My sister and her husband went out to a local beauty spot on New Years Day to 'get engaged'. Typical of their relationship but I hated the fact that it was planned - and even more so that they planned it together.
I think each person/couple is different.  I proposed to my wife at a family event (annual x-mas eve dinner at her grandparents).  My wife is REALLY close to her extended family, and so I thought it would be nice for them to be there for the special day.  I will admit, I think my wife would have preferred that I didn't do it in front of her family (she hates crying in front of them), but I know it really meant a lot to her grandmother who we both deeply care for.

Originally Posted by kdawg

Don't do it a family event. That's just not cool. I hate these big set up things. My sister and her husband went out to a local beauty spot on New Years Day to 'get engaged'. Typical of their relationship but I hated the fact that it was planned - and even more so that they planned it together.
I think each person/couple is different.  I proposed to my wife at a family event (annual x-mas eve dinner at her grandparents).  My wife is REALLY close to her extended family, and so I thought it would be nice for them to be there for the special day.  I will admit, I think my wife would have preferred that I didn't do it in front of her family (she hates crying in front of them), but I know it really meant a lot to her grandmother who we both deeply care for.

Propose to her at some place that's special to her/the both of you. Don't pick some fancy restaurant that you're never gonna visit again.

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Don't: Get married[/color]

"SHUT UP"
Anywho, i definitely go with the first advice, if you don't know what she wants, you can also take a trip to the jewelry store (i went with Zales) on a random day and front like you are looking for something for yourself and pay attention to her reaction, I can almost guarantee if she's on the same page, she will venture into the engagement/ wedding rings section...if she's not subtle she will probably flat out tell you, if not she will at least hint you...you just make sure to rub it off, rush her off the section even to keep that element of surprise.
What I wouldn't do is go with her best fried....that's what the +$%# I did, to find out that girls ultimately don't want better for each other, she knew exactly what ring my wife wanted and she encouraged me to get something else, which I personally liked (three stones, past preset future) but my wife wanted a single stone band...she didn't have the heart to tell me till a year later...she still likes it, but would have preferred the single stone...ohh well.
Whatever you do don't take it lightly, The right engagement ring is very important to a female, I don't get it because I'm a man, but after dealing with my wife I now know the importance of it....worst comes to worst, have her pick her own ring...lol.

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Don't: Get married[/color]

"SHUT UP"
Anywho, i definitely go with the first advice, if you don't know what she wants, you can also take a trip to the jewelry store (i went with Zales) on a random day and front like you are looking for something for yourself and pay attention to her reaction, I can almost guarantee if she's on the same page, she will venture into the engagement/ wedding rings section...if she's not subtle she will probably flat out tell you, if not she will at least hint you...you just make sure to rub it off, rush her off the section even to keep that element of surprise.
What I wouldn't do is go with her best fried....that's what the +$%# I did, to find out that girls ultimately don't want better for each other, she knew exactly what ring my wife wanted and she encouraged me to get something else, which I personally liked (three stones, past preset future) but my wife wanted a single stone band...she didn't have the heart to tell me till a year later...she still likes it, but would have preferred the single stone...ohh well.
Whatever you do don't take it lightly, The right engagement ring is very important to a female, I don't get it because I'm a man, but after dealing with my wife I now know the importance of it....worst comes to worst, have her pick her own ring...lol.

Yea im thinking about starting to look around. Plan on going with a 1.5-2 ct round single stone with pave band.

Yea im thinking about starting to look around. Plan on going with a 1.5-2 ct round single stone with pave band.

be sure to know the 4 'C's- cut, clarity, color, carat weight. 

shop around, it takes time to find the 'right' ring. took me about a couple months or so, and that's with shopping around every saturday. I even did some online shopping to compare.

definitely ask her parents' blessing. to me, that was very important- i even asked her younger sister for her blessing.

I took her out for lunch one day. surprised her at her job and 'asked' her boss if she could have the rest of the day off (her boss already knew what was going on). we had lunch, and as we both got up from our seats, i immediately got down on one knee and said, "honey, will you make me the happiest man and marry me?"

Been married for about 6.5 months now, and it's been great!
tongue.gif
wink.gif

be sure to know the 4 'C's- cut, clarity, color, carat weight. 

shop around, it takes time to find the 'right' ring. took me about a couple months or so, and that's with shopping around every saturday. I even did some online shopping to compare.

definitely ask her parents' blessing. to me, that was very important- i even asked her younger sister for her blessing.

I took her out for lunch one day. surprised her at her job and 'asked' her boss if she could have the rest of the day off (her boss already knew what was going on). we had lunch, and as we both got up from our seats, i immediately got down on one knee and said, "honey, will you make me the happiest man and marry me?"

Been married for about 6.5 months now, and it's been great!
tongue.gif
wink.gif

If I ever get married this is something I can't wrap my finger around. Man somebody is going to have to drug me because I know I will never ever feel like I am wasting money more than if I ever buy an engagement ring and then have to buy a damn wedding ring.

If I ever get married this is something I can't wrap my finger around. Man somebody is going to have to drug me because I know I will never ever feel like I am wasting money more than if I ever buy an engagement ring and then have to buy a damn wedding ring.

Originally Posted by xanadu one

buy what you can afford. plain and simple.

do not start your relationship based on a debt.

if you don't have the money now. then wait.

try http://www.diamondnexuslabs.com/
I say don't go over-the-top with some fancy diamond setting.  Just go basic.
and definitely go with what you can afford. 
if your girl loves you, technically the size of the diamond shouldn't matter... that being said, don't go buying her some little pebble diamond.
laugh.gif

I also wouldn't worry about having some romantic type proposal to impress your girl's friends because that's basically what THAT is all about.

my dad always said, 'its not how fancy or romantic your proposal is... its how strong your marriage is after'

Originally Posted by xanadu one

buy what you can afford. plain and simple.

do not start your relationship based on a debt.

if you don't have the money now. then wait.

try http://www.diamondnexuslabs.com/
I say don't go over-the-top with some fancy diamond setting.  Just go basic.
and definitely go with what you can afford. 
if your girl loves you, technically the size of the diamond shouldn't matter... that being said, don't go buying her some little pebble diamond.
laugh.gif

I also wouldn't worry about having some romantic type proposal to impress your girl's friends because that's basically what THAT is all about.

my dad always said, 'its not how fancy or romantic your proposal is... its how strong your marriage is after'

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I would love to meet Mrs DC...she will have to ^^^be a complete different breed of woman, from my experience, to a woman an engagement ring is probably more important than the actual wedding band, just to let you know.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I would love to meet Mrs DC...she will have to ^^^be a complete different breed of woman, from my experience, to a woman an engagement ring is probably more important than the actual wedding band, just to let you know.

Back
Top Bottom