Engineering Majors?

Wow I did not know this thread existed! jon4rd jon4rd I'm taking Transpo in April. What's your best advice? What all manuals did you use/bring? Did you take any classes?

CONGRATS BRO. I knew there had to be some engineers on NT, let alone Civils

I think there's quite a few civils on NT actually :nerd:

kdslittlebro kdslittlebro thanks! I also took the transpo depth and honestly brought way more than I needed. I brought the CERM, MUTCD, HCM vol. 1, 2, & 3, NCEES practice exam book, PPI 6 min solutions, 2 3" binders from the review course I took, and my own cheat sheet binder. I really only used the 2 binders from my review course and the CERM, which I referenced a lot more than I thought I would. But it's always better to have it and not need it, than the opposite :ohwell:

The review course I took was thru EET (http://www.eetusa.com). It's pricey but my company reimbursed all of it, and any reference books, so I didn't mind. I'd recommend taking the on-demand webinars so you can study on your own schedule, but also the biggest problem for me was consistently maintaining that study schedule. I didn't actually get into the thick of it until about 6 or 7 weeks to go so I ended up studying every night for about 4-5hrs until the week of the exam.. I could've easily burnt out so I'd really recommend keeping a consistent pace and def taking it easy for a few days before the exam.

Another good option for review courses is thru ASCE. I think most local ASCE YMF groups host PE review courses and they also provide a good amount of reference materials and practice problems.

I think there's quite a few civils on NT actually :nerd:

kdslittlebro kdslittlebro thanks! I also took the transpo depth and honestly brought way more than I needed. I brought the CERM, MUTCD, HCM vol. 1, 2, & 3, NCEES practice exam book, PPI 6 min solutions, 2 3" binders from the review course I took, and my own cheat sheet binder. I really only used the 2 binders from my review course and the CERM, which I referenced a lot more than I thought I would. But it's always better to have it and not need it, than the opposite :ohwell:

The review course I took was thru EET (http://www.eetusa.com). It's pricey but my company reimbursed all of it, and any reference books, so I didn't mind. I'd recommend taking the on-demand webinars so you can study on your own schedule, but also the biggest problem for me was consistently maintaining that study schedule. I didn't actually get into the thick of it until about 6 or 7 weeks to go so I ended up studying every night for about 4-5hrs until the week of the exam.. I could've easily burnt out so I'd really recommend keeping a consistent pace and def taking it easy for a few days before the exam.

Another good option for review courses is thru ASCE. I think most local ASCE YMF groups host PE review courses and they also provide a good amount of reference materials and practice problems.

Nice nice appreciate that. My job isn't reimbursing anything, but they will pay for Test masters if you don't pass first try, so I'm gonna try to go light on prep material this time. I got some ppl who sent me a ton of stuff from courses they took, and practice problems, and got PDFs of all the manuals I can get printed at my job. I plan on having all my material collected and organized before Christmas, and once I come back from new years I'm gonna go hard.

I work 4 10s, so I got 3 day weekends to study at least 3 or 4 hrs, and my manager gives us plenty of time as long as we don't have any pressing projects

Last edited:
Wow I did not know this thread existed! jon4rd jon4rd I'm taking Transpo in April. What's your best advice? What all manuals did you use/bring? Did you take any classes?

CONGRATS BRO. I knew there had to be some engineers on NT, let alone Civils

I mainly used the Lindeburg reference manual in the morning session and for the afternoon I used the HCM, AASHTO Greenbook, MUTCD, and the roadside design guide. I honestly had questions on my exam that I had to use all of those reference manuals at least once (mainly had questions where I had to reference the HCM and Greenbook). I didn’t take a prep course or anything but I had the Lindeburg practice problems book that goes along with the reference manual, borrowed all the six minute solutions books from a coworker, a Lindeburg practice exam (the problems in this practice exam are a lot harder than problems on the actual PE exam are, but if you can figure these out you should be golden for the exam) and also had one of the practice exam booklets that NCEES offers. I recommend getting started with some light studying maybe a few months before the exam; I started 3 months out and just did about an hour every night then maybe 2 or more hours on the weekends. Definitely tab everything up and become familiar with your references because time is of the essence. I took both practice exams The Saturday and Sunday before the exam and I timed myself and tried to make it as realistic to the exam as possible to see how well I did and to prepare myself for the actual exam. Stop studying about a week before the exam to give your brain a break. Make sure you get your stuff together and have everything you need for the exam a few days or a week before the test. Take off of work the day before the exam and just relax. If you have any other questions let me know.

Edit: Good luck in April man! Kill it

Civil checking in. I took the ASCE YMF review course and i liked it. We got lots of material for each subject and i used a lot of it for the breadth porting. The CERM is crucial to have. I took the water resources/environmental depth exam, but it sounds like more transpos in here. Definitely agree with jon4rd jon4rd on easing in to the studying. I found that hard at the beginning after being away from college for a few years. I also did about an hour or 2 a night for a few weeks and eventually worked up to 12 hour study sessions on the weekends for a few months.

I mainly used the Lindeburg reference manual in the morning session and for the afternoon I used the HCM, AASHTO Greenbook, MUTCD, and the roadside design guide. I honestly had questions on my exam that I had to use all of those reference manuals at least once (mainly had questions where I had to reference the HCM and Greenbook). I didn’t take a prep course or anything but I had the Lindeburg practice problems book that goes along with the reference manual, borrowed all the six minute solutions books from a coworker, a Lindeburg practice exam (the problems in this practice exam are a lot harder than problems on the actual PE exam are, but if you can figure these out you should be golden for the exam) and also had one of the practice exam booklets that NCEES offers. I recommend getting started with some light studying maybe a few months before the exam; I started 3 months out and just did about an hour every night then maybe 2 or more hours on the weekends. Definitely tab everything up and become familiar with your references because time is of the essence. I took both practice exams The Saturday and Sunday before the exam and I timed myself and tried to make it as realistic to the exam as possible to see how well I did and to prepare myself for the actual exam. Stop studying about a week before the exam to give your brain a break. Make sure you get your stuff together and have everything you need for the exam a few days or a week before the test. Take off of work the day before the exam and just relax. If you have any other questions let me know.

Edit: Good luck in April man! Kill it

Everybody I've been asking even from different years/cycles is telling me mostly the same things as far as materials :lol: this is encouraging. Yea I'm gonna start at the start of the yr once I get my materials together this month. I only work 4 days so I can do an hr or 2 during the work week and a few more over the weekends. 3 solid months of that I think should do me well. Everyone tells me knowing the concepts on that ncees list, knowing where your tables are, and knowing how the questions are structured are most important. That's what I'm gonna focus on most

No sir. Neither. I think I had one asphalt problem on my exam and I just guessed.

That's what I keep hearing. I'll try track em down in March if not I won't trip too hard. I managed to get all the rest of em either at work or printed at work :pimp:

jon4rd jon4rd How in depth was structural design in the morning? I hit on concrete slabs and beams, and steel columns a bit, and know where steel should go, but I'm not tryna spend too much time on it. Also have the CERM for any surprises

jon4rd jon4rd How in depth was structural design in the morning? I hit on concrete slabs and beams, and steel columns a bit, and know where steel should go, but I'm not tryna spend too much time on it. Also have the CERM for any surprises

Literally none of that was on my test. Just had some shear and moment diagram stuff, and some truss analysis using method of sections or method of joints. You should be good just with the basic stuff.

Just got a call from a major Civil Engineering and designing company . Who’s asking me to come in for an internship interview . I’ve never had an interview with a company before , I don’t know what to expect , and even though I’m a junior Hydraulics, Fluid mechanics & Enviromental Engineering, I haven’t worked on an engineering project yet . I’m clueless on what to expect or the type of questions they may ask me

I interview electrical engineering interns all the time. Generally I try to gauge there work ethic and interest in the field. I ask some basic technical questions but generally don’t expect much.

Ready for war Friday, and ready to finally have my life and a clean office/house back afterwards :lol:

20180411_203941.jpg

Nervous af I put in so much time these past months, and still felt like I could use more, but I'm not gonna dwell on it. Not doing **** tomorrow but putting this big ****er in the car, maybe driving by the test site, and eating good/watching TV/relaxing

Ready for war Friday, and ready to finally have my life and a clean office/house back afterwards :lol:

20180411_203941.jpg

Nervous af I put in so much time these past months, and still felt like I could use more, but I'm not gonna dwell on it. Not doing **** tomorrow but putting this big ****er in the car, maybe driving by the test site, and eating good/watching TV/relaxing

You got it bro! Yea man just relax dawg. Go in there and kill that **** tomorrow!

20180411_203941.jpg

Good luck my guy. You're gonna kill it!!

Any one have any connects with hiring managers/ recruiters for engineering (aerospace,manufacturing) that can help a brother out? Been out of a job and need assistance on some connects.

Back
Top Bottom