ESPN really wants a TO meltdown..

According to multiple sources within the Dallas Cowboys, there is an emerging internalconflict involving three of the team's highest-profile stars.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3763209http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3763209
As the preseason Super Bowl favorites struggle in the final month of the season to simply make the playoffs, wide receiver Terrell Owens has expressed resentment toward Tony Romo, apparently jealous of the quarterback's relationship with tight end Jason Witten. Owens feels that Romo and Witten -- close friends and road roommates who cameto Dallas in the same offseason -- hold private meetings in which they create plays the two will use in upcoming games without including Owens in theconversations, according to a source who speaks regularly with Owens' teammates.

Owens believes these discussions have worked to his detriment as Romo seeks to deliver the ball to Witten regardless of whether Owens is open. Owens declinedto discuss the situation on Thursday outside the Cowboys' locker room. As he walked toward the players' lounge at Valley Ranch, ESPN asked Owens if hewould answer questions and he said, "Nope.'' Linebacker Bradie Jamesacknowledged to ESPN that his status as one of the team captains has caused him to play a peacemaker role between Romo and Owens. "Whenever the fire getsblazing, I know,'' James said. "Sometimes, I don't want to step on anybody's toes, but we all talk. "It just is what it is ...It's just two different guys, two different personalities and they know what's at stake. They know that everybody needs them. And there's nodislike. It's just sometimes, not everybody is going to see eye to eye. That's what makes a football team.''

A current Cowboys player compared Owens' behavior to that which led to problems with his former quarterbacks, Jeff Garcia in San Francisco and Donovan McNabb in Philadelphia. Those failed relationships and problems with the head coachesand other teammates led to Owens' exile from those teams and made him available to Dallas owner Jerry Jones in 2006. "He's insecure aboutit,'' the player said of Owens. "The thing that bothers me more than anything about this problem is that it's always something with him--SanFran, Philly and here; always something. And he brings other people into it. You know, he talks to Sam Hurd and Roy Williams, who just got here and doesn't really know these guys. TOtalks to him and so now he probably thinks Witten politics with Tony for the ball. "That's so far from the truth. You think Tony is throwing to himbecause that's his buddy? His best buddy is Bobby Carpenter, and that's nothelping him too much. It's crazy to think that, and I hate that he acts that way.''

Witten leads the Cowboys with 64 receptions to 55 for Owens, who has a team-high 848 receiving yards and nine touchdowns. According to one of the sources,Owens cannot fathom how Romo and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett justify the tight end having more catches than does Owens even though the latter ranksamong the most accomplished receivers in NFL history. There has so far been no known confrontation between Romo and Owens, who have combined for 33 touchdownssince 2006, the most of any quarterback-receiver tandem in the NFL during that time. Romo has always been careful to make certain Owens felt appreciated sothat he would compete hard and not cause the kind of upheaval he did with his previous teams. But one teammate suggested Romo is frustrated enough that hemight initiate a different approach, although not the confrontational kind that some believe might solve the problem. "To be completely honest, I justthink Tony is over it; not like, "Screw it.' But I think Tony is over the mind games,'' the player said. "It would help if Tony wouldstand up to him, but he would never do it. He does a great job of ignoring it and not letting it affect him, and that's why it has worked as good as ithas. It's just hard. I think right now everybody is to the point where, "We're going to need him, so let's not piss him off.''

But Owens seems to be finding it increasingly difficult to conceal his irritation. Last week in Pittsburgh, on the first possession of the Cowboys' mostimportant game of the season, a team source who reviewed the game tape said Romo threw an interception when Owens mysteriously failed to complete his route.Troy Polamalu intercepted the ball at the place where Romo expected Owens to be.Later in the half, Romo underthrew a pass for Owens that was intercepted by IkeTaylor and Owens gestured openly in Romo's direction as he walked toward the sideline that the ball should have been thrown further upfield. But whatupset Owens' teammates most of all was his response to the interception Romo threw on a pass intended for Witten that DeShea Townsend returned for thegame-winning touchdown in a 20-13 defeat. Both the quarterback and tight end publicly accepted blame for the Cowboys' season-high fifth turnover.

In contrast, Owens said the offense stunk, that the team can't win with turnovers like those and then suggested his defender was playing off in singlecoverage and that he was open but Romo decided to throw elsewhere on the fatal play. On the sideline, Owens was seen yelling at a Cowboys assistant coach. Inhis press conference after the game, Owens implied that Romo's decision to throw to Witten was the wrong one, saying, "It's his job to go outthere and assess what the defense is, and he made that decision.'' That incensed some Cowboys, one of whom said, "If you only knew all that guydoes. It's gonna go down with him before it's all over with. He is unbelievable. Tough loss and he does that?'' Until then, Cowboys insidersconsidered Owen's most damaging behavior the interview he did with former Cowboys cornerback Deion Sanders on the NFL Network in which he suggested Dallas' offensive system underGarrett was responsible for his worst statistical season since his rookie year with the 49ers. He also hinted that Romo and the other Dallas quarterbacks whoplayed when the starter was injured were not making getting him the ball a high enough priority. "I can't throw it and catch it,'' Owens said.At least one prominent Cowboys player was displeased that the coaching staff responded to the criticism by seemingly placating Owens in that Sunday's gameagainst San Francisco, allowing him enough opportunities that he posted his best statistical line as a Cowboy: seven catches for 213 yards, including 75-yardTD. "Well, TO got his way,'' the player said. "It never fails how we operate around here. Drives me crazy, but what can you do?''

Head coach Wade Phillips justified Owens' argument by agreeing getting him the ball needed to be the first offensive priority and then owner Jerry Jonesfurther empowered him by claiming he had no issue with anything TO said in the interview. Said another source: "What do you think he said after hecomplained about not getting the ball and then in the San Francisco game he gets 213? He said, "Look. It works. The more hell I raise, the more I get whatI want.'' Owens signed a four-year contract extension in March worth $34 million, including a $12.9 million signing bonus to bind him to the Cowboysthrough the 2011 season. When asked if Romo and Owens were all right together as the team prepares to play the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants on Sunday, James said, "Yeah. It's gotta be. It better be.'' The latestcontroversy comes toward the end of a season that began with Owens saying in training camp that he shared a relationship with Romo that he never had with theother quarterbacks with whom he played.

That, Owens said, was because Romo knew he was star of the Cowboys and was not threatened by Owens' status as were previous quarterbacks. "I guesssometimes I've just been in situations where the quarterbacks felt like I was bigger than them,'' Owens said in July. "And, you know, that wasnever the case. I felt like whatever I did complemented the quarterback, whatever he did, vice versa. It's just been a situation where things happen, wherethings didn't work out.'' Romo seemed equally at peace with Owens. "The thing about it is there's a genuine caring about each other. Iactually want the guy to succeed. He works hard, he works his butt off. And he cares about the guys, so it's easy to root for a guy like that."It's important for us to be on the same page. It's important for us to care about the other one, just because our success is directly related.... The thing you notice mostly about him is that he talks about team a lot. He wants to win. He understands that, at this stage of his career, he's doneall the things individually he can do.

Now, it's just a matter of winning.'' Whether it is like that anymore -- and whether the Cowboys can achieve their own stated goals with therelationship between Owens and Romo and Witten being what it is now -- remains to be determined. Since Romo became the Dallas starter, he has completed morepasses to Witten than to Owens, 201-186, although Owens has significantly more yards and three times as many touchdowns. "You really want to address itwith him and say, "Are you serious? Let's cut the [sh--]. But we're trying to win our way into the playoffs and, if something like that happened,if you backed him into a corner, he'd be pissed off and try to fight you or something,'' the current Cowboys player said. "So what do you do?Let it go? Then you're just like everybody else. If he's got a problem and he's upset, clear the air. He should know that everything we do onoffense goes through him." Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN.

seriously. people are always looking for controversy. its annoying when its your team.

laugh.gif
The old unnamed source speaking up in the Cowboys locker room...
laugh.gif

Uh huh...
Owens declined to discuss the situation on Thursday outside the Cowboys' locker room. As he walked toward the players' lounge at Valley Ranch, ESPN asked Owens if he would answer questions and he said, "Nope.''
eyes.gif
He's refused to talk to you or answer your questions for three months now... But go on tryin to slip that in like it'sindicative of his attitude towards the situation...

i was just reading this.

i don't know what to make of some of those player comments, if they are true (probably not. or maybe its just ONE salty dude making all the comments).

TO can definitely be an a-hole... but at the same time, he's the biggest weapon you have on offense. the Cowboys/Romo shouldn't be messing with dudelike that... all this nonsense of not throwing to him one week, and throwing to him the next when he says something.

if the Cowboys were smart, they would keep feeding him and letting him heat up, because they're gonna need him if they want to make the playoffs.

ESPN is...

hand_reaching.jpg

They're blowing this out of proportion I really don't think it's that big of an issue..

ESPN mad because Owens doesn't let Ed Werder ask him any quesstions. Everytime Ed Werder talks Owens cuts him off by saying "NEXT QUESTION"

Reaching as usual.

People like outtacontrol gonna be duped as usual tho

This story actually seems to suggest the exact opposite... That T.O. is handling this like any football player would, and he and all the receivers went to havea private meeting with Jason Garrett about how they're being used in the offense...

Jason Garrett Gets TheBusiness...

ESPN grasping at straws?
eyes.gif

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if he blew up... But I don't think this is a story that ESPN would break and no Cowboys outlet would have anywind of what's going on...

Sigh...

I have never in my life seen another athlete obsessed like this and am not sure I ever will...

Im almost getting to a point where I feel sorry for Owens, but actually i really dont though because he wanted this attention and worked the system for yearsto get it.

ESPN stays treating this dude and his life as front page, TMZ-like news we all must have year round. Cant wait for Sportscenter to lead off with it tonight.Because after all, we all continue to need Owens' comments on every single thing on earth and how he is going to shatter the boat...and when we dont getcomments well we gotta go search for some.

This is their headline on the very top of espn.com: "Sources: Conflict Bubbling Between T.O., Romo"

In more exciting news it's been a couple months so we're due for TO's thoughts on McNabb during their Eagle days.

reported by Ed Werder explains it all. And this comes a couple days after he ripped Emmitt and Sheshawn = no big deal

Could ESPN just wait for something to actually be said on air instead of searching for stuff? Is that too much to ask?

If TO comes out in front of a camera and goes off, fine, fair game ESPN, have a good time.

But if TO stays quiet and says nothing, then shut the *&^% up and cover something else for a change. Go talk about 2010, or Tiger's knee, or KG'spassion or somethin.
smh.gif

ESPN been waiting for TO to blowup for the past 2 seasons. Everyone knew after the 1st season TO would blow up. He didn't. Okay for sure in the 2nd seasonhe'd blow up. Nothing. Now they're going after TO. Not to mention everytime Werder asks TO a question he gives him the "Next Question" bitwhich is funny as hell lol. Probably mad that TO exposed Emmitt and Sheshawn for their horrible jobs as analysts.

I hope he does, it would be comedy. You guys must be trippin' if you haven't seen this coming, TO is all about himself and eventually will saysomething he's gonna regret. And we'll all be here to laugh it up, except for the Cowboy folks who defend him.

That seems to be the job of the media now, not to report of occurances but to dig up dirt on stuff like this

not surprising

I would have thought ESPN could conjur up a better story. But damn, secret meetings ESPN? Like for real? Are yall that mad that T.O. ignores you when you askhim questions during his press time?

Hot diggity DAWG lmao

They (ESPN) dont have to want it....

T.O.'s history shows that when he doesn't get his way.... implosion..... BOOM

49ers
Eagles
Cowboys...

good bye to Dallas' first playoff win since 1996....

I'm at the gym watching this @#@* and smfh if this is true and a player is talking someone find them and beat there %+% case this is the type of @#@* udon't need to come out in a playoff race

But it's proably 100% espn #!%+$+**

Originally Posted by RUDOLPH1996

They (ESPN) dont have to want it....

T.O.'s history shows that when he doesn't get his way.... implosion..... BOOM

49ers
Eagles
Cowboys...

good bye to Dallas' first playoff win since 1996....

Difference is TO is one more turmoil away from being out the league. ESPN is instigating and they've been doing it for the past 2 years. When TO leavesthey'll point their attention to Pac-Man and Tank. When they're gone they will go to Roy Williams. They're already starting to go at Roy Williamsnow. Its so lame but I guess Cowboys in turmoil is more newsworthy than anything in sports I guess.

Back
Top Bottom