ETHER December 4, 2001

Originally Posted by Deuce King

That's cuz it's irrelevant
laugh.gif
and you know it. Nobody wanna discuss music when it comes to rap battle on wax nowadays. Anything you would claim is part of Nas' alleged "downward spiral" would be something about him paying child support and his baby moms especially compared to w/e you'd assume about Jay's life

Irrelevant huh??  I don't even think you believe that yourself. There's rap life, there's real life then there are points in time when the two intersect.  I'll just say this much as a point to what your trying to disregard, ever since the battle at least, in my eyes Jay has been winning while Nas has been losing.  Be it getting a chick's name tatted on his arm, then that same chick divorcing him and getting hit with a massive child support payment suit, and other things as well.  As always though, this seems like a never ending debate so if nothing else it's good to feel like the music forum with this thread has the feeling of the days of old in it.  Good times.
See this is just your opinion. It has nothing to do with the battle. All you're doing with this who's been losing and winning since is no better than the ppl evaluating Kim Kardashian's life from watching her reality show and TMZ. Clown shh. @#**+% can't get divorced now? Some of this shh happens in this thing we call life man. Child-support, tattos, etc. listen to what you're hanging your argument on now. Everything you just said is irrelevant. All this real life intersecting with rap has nothing to do with the battle, there is no war. Jay aint sayin shh about it but you gotta be petty, all that talk is pathetic. It's not a never ending debate, you want to add shh that has nothing to do with the topic to support a non-argument.

Originally Posted by iHust1e

Originally Posted by diceloveme

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Off topic...but Nas' daughter is a teen now right?

You think she feel some type away about Jay saying he left semen filled contraceptives on her baby seat? Or does she probably have WTT on her iPod like the rest of her peers?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Cant believe its been TEN YEARS THO

I cant front. I was a massive Jay stan and when I heard #ether back in 01, I had that feeling you gett when you know you in trouble and you gotta wait in your room for your dad to get home from work and give you your punishment.

sick.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Regardless of how some of yall feel Nas is the reason why Jay won't respond directly to any other artist in the game that has some sort of skill.

Originally Posted by carbon16

Originally Posted by diceloveme

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I cant front. I was a massive Jay stan and when I heard #ether back in 01, I had that feeling you gett when you know you in trouble and you gotta wait in your room for your dad to get home from work and give you your punishment.

sick.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Regardless of how some of yall feel Nas is the reason why Jay won't respond directly to any other artist in the game that has some sort of skill.
after Nas there was/ is no rapper thats up to par with him, like seriously
inb4 Eminem delirium 

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Originally Posted by carbon16

eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

sick.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

after Nas there was/ is no rapper thats up to par with him, like seriously
inb4 Eminem delirium 
At this point though....Jay ain't on it lyrically anymore. Joe Budden could work dude now.

-The Juice

Wow just read through this whole thread and
laugh.gif
at dudes saying ether wasnt the better diss track

that supa ugly track was more about bangin nas's ex then nas himself

Originally Posted by Deuce King

That's cuz it's irrelevant
laugh.gif
and you know it. Nobody wanna discuss music when it comes to rap battle on wax nowadays. Anything you would claim is part of Nas' alleged "downward spiral" would be something about him paying child support and his baby moms especially compared to w/e you'd assume about Jay's life

Irrelevant huh??  I don't even think you believe that yourself. There's rap life, there's real life then there are points in time when the two intersect.  I'll just say this much as a point to what your trying to disregard, ever since the battle at least, in my eyes Jay has been winning while Nas has been losing.  Be it getting a chick's name tatted on his arm, then that same chick divorcing him and getting hit with a massive child support payment suit, and other things as well.  As always though, this seems like a never ending debate so if nothing else it's good to feel like the music forum with this thread has the feeling of the days of old in it.  Good times.

All that you mentioned has absolutely nothing to do with the battle. NOTHING. That's life b. It's not a battle that defined their lives. That's like saying Prodigy's sickle cell got worse because of takeover or he got locked up because of it. That proposition is ridiculous and honestly, it also shows bitterness my dude. Nas got his arm tatted and got divorced because of the battle? It's not a life competition.
laugh.gif

and what defines winning and losing in life anyways? Money? women? cars? Who are we to judge how someone is winning or losing in life? It's a bit judgmental, wouldn't you think? Nas has a new baby boy (granted it's with a harlot), made an amazing album and toured the world with JR Gong and is making a new album. I would consider that winning for the most part. Jay may not be as happy as we think either. He lost some childhood friends(some which he still raps about til this day), he lost his nephew, he lost his uncle and he lost his pops. What you see in the media is not all there is to their lives. There is rumor that beyonce was into Nas way back in the nastradamus days. I think she is in one of Nas' videos too(I think it's owe me back
laugh.gif
) so would you consider that losing? No dude. it's life. It's not an eternal battle between the two.

I also think dudes are missing the point of ether. Ether wasn't supposed to be super lyrical and technical or even all factual. Ether was an attack to Jay's soul and I think that mission was accomplished because dude was clearly shook in that interview.
laugh.gif

and BP2 diss is so overrated. Only on NT tho. The thing is, Nas could have said practically the same +#*! to Jay. Is it "sunshine" or is it the "dynasty intro"? Is it "bonny & clyde" or is it " big pimpin" or "99 problems"? That +#*! was lame and all he was doing was whining.

Originally Posted by Shorty Doo Wop

Wow just read through this whole thread and
laugh.gif
at dudes saying ether wasnt the better diss track

that supa ugly track was more about bangin nas's ex then nas himself

This.  Nas' babymoms was a scorned %@%+, anyway.  Hell, she even wrote a book about the #$&# just to prove it.  Anybody could have hit that at the time.  At the time it just happened to be a dude that Nas was coincidently beefing with.  
But IMO Last Real N Alive >* as far as the disses in this "beef" are concerned.  And BP2 is > than Takeover and SU.

Originally Posted by Renzo289

And a
indifferent.gif
to heelish for saying HHID & SD > Stillmatic...you need to go back and spin that again...

Nah man, hear me out on this one. I loved Stillmatic when it came out, still do, but with time I realized SD is better.
Stillmatic gets SUPER weak near the end, NO WAY did it deserve 5 mics from the Source. 

The only reason it did it because they gave Blueprint 5 mics & didn't want to play into the beef.

This is coming from someone who has Nas in the GOAT spot, but BP1 >>> Stillmatic any day.

The tracks I listen to are the Intro, Smokin, Ur Da Man, Rewind, One Mic, 2nd Childhood, The Flyest, Rule, No Idea's Original, maybe another song or 2.

That song with Mary J & the Bravehearts was worse than Jigga That N*gga off BP1!

I find myself listening to God's Son more often, BUT it has more sh*t songs than Stillmatic.

You got Get Down, The Cross, Made U Look, Book of Rhymes, Thugz Mansion, Mastermind, Revolutionary Warfare, plus a few more.

Then on SD, ya got the Message to the Feds intro, Nazareth Savage, both Disciple songs, Sekou Story, Live Now, Just a Moment, the 2nd intro song with Busta, REMEMBER THE TIMES 
eek.gif
, War, Theif's Theme. Again, it has more crap songs but if you condensed it into a single disc it would sh*t all over Stillmatic. 

I spazzed saying HHID is better though, you're right on that, but it had dope tracks like the intro, HHID, Black Republicans, Still Dreamin, Blunt Ashes, Can't Forget About You, Hustlas, etc.

None of those 3 albums are classics (SM, GS, SD) but they might be the best 3 albums in a row by any rapper, not counting A Tribe Called Quest's first 3.

Originally Posted by heelish

And a
indifferent.gif
to heelish for saying HHID & SD > Stillmatic...you need to go back and spin that again...

Nah man, hear me out on this one. I loved Stillmatic when it came out, still do, but with time I realized SD is better.
Stillmatic gets SUPER weak near the end, NO WAY did it deserve 5 mics from the Source. 

The only reason it did it because they gave Blueprint 5 mics & didn't want to play into the beef.

This is coming from someone who has Nas in the GOAT spot, but BP1 >>> Stillmatic any day.

The tracks I listen to are the Intro, Smokin, Ur Da Man, Rewind, One Mic, 2nd Childhood, The Flyest, Rule, No Idea's Original, maybe another song or 2.

That song with Mary J & the Bravehearts was worse than Jigga That N*gga off BP1!

I find myself listening to God's Son more often, BUT it has more sh*t songs than Stillmatic.

You got Get Down, The Cross, Made U Look, Book of Rhymes, Thugz Mansion, Mastermind, Revolutionary Warfare, plus a few more.

Then on SD, ya got the Message to the Feds intro, Nazareth Savage, both Disciple songs, Sekou Story, Live Now, Just a Moment, the 2nd intro song with Busta, REMEMBER THE TIMES 
eek.gif
, War, Theif's Theme. Again, it has more crap songs but if you condensed it into a single disc it would sh*t all over Stillmatic. 

I spazzed saying HHID is better though, you're right on that, but it had dope tracks like the intro, HHID, Black Republicans, Still Dreamin, Blunt Ashes, Can't Forget About You, Hustlas, etc.

None of those 3 albums are classics (SM, GS, SD) but they might be the best 3 albums in a row by any rapper, not counting A Tribe Called Quest's first 3.

Bp1 is not better than stillmatic. If anything they are equal. They are both flawed and shouldn't have received 5 mics.

Jigga that N and hola hovito = basura
Brave heart party= basura

One mic= best song off both albums

And how exactly does stillmatic get week at end again with songs like these

10 The Flyest
 11 Rule
 12 My Country
 13 What Goes Around
 14 Every Ghetto

indifferent.gif

Rule, My Country, What Goes Around, & Every Ghetto are the last 4 tracks... Show me the weak link sir.

The Natural Mys: Agreed, those are the 2 songs are utter trash.
But One Mic, 2nd Childhood, Ur Da Man, The Flyest >>> any song on BP1

Ya know, looking back you're right. I barely even listen to tracks from BP1 like I do SM. I'm buggin out...

None of the songs are classic and most have little replay value, I prefer the U Don't Know remix off BP2

Last 3 tracks on BP1 are boring, never saw what people liked about Renegade.

The beats are what people truly remember about the album.

Black Album/American Gangster are better though

Seymore CAKE I must've been crazy, maybe it's cause I haven't listened to either album in a while. 

Rule is dope, My Country is eh, What Goes Around is cool, & Every Ghetto is the sh*t, wish Lake would work with Nas again.

I'm super bugging out, gonna go bump SM now 
pimp.gif

Maaaaan, glad I saw your edit b4 I posted...I was about to
indifferent.gif
you to death...Stillmatic is definitely a classic, and I think it's his best album after illmatic...that is MY opinion...I'm not crazy about it was written...SM did have some duds but man, "what goes around" still gives me chills...

In the grand scheme of things, I think Jay may be percieved to have won the "war", but when you think about it, Nas benefitted the most from that beef...who knows what he'd sound like now if Jay hadn't called him out then...and even tho jay went on to have more commercial success, he definitely strayed from the lyricist he was in his early career...

And I do feel like the most memorable thing about BP IS the production...not to take anything away from it...

ok Now we can't fall off into the deep end now.

BP1 is a great album and not just because of the beats. It was a beautiful blend of ridiculous beats with lyrical carpet bombs.

Have you guys listened to Breathe easy or the rulers back? Jay committed murder on both tracks. Both albums have flaws but I don't understand how one can say either one ended in a weak manner.

11. All I Need ( this is what Jigga that N wants to be)
12. Renagade
eek.gif
(regardless of whoever you think killed the track)
13. Blueprint (Momma Loves Me) It's so soulful don't you agree?
pimp.gif

* Breathe Easy
eek.gif
eek.gif
sick.gif

*girls girls remix (kinda weak)

You guys need to learn how to appreciate both albums and not hate one or the other because both albums are insanely awesome.

"*girls girls remix (kinda weak) "
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[/font]

roll.gif

[/font]

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

Originally Posted by heelish

And a
indifferent.gif

Bp1 is not better than stillmatic. If anything they are equal. They are both flawed and shouldn't have received 5 mics.

Jigga that N and hola hovito = basura
Brave heart party= basura

One mic= best song off both albums

And how exactly does stillmatic get week at end again with songs like these

10 The Flyest
 11 Rule
 12 My Country
 13 What Goes Around
 14 Every Ghetto

indifferent.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back then I would have easily said Stillmatic was better than BP1, but right now, I would say they are equal,
though I have still spinned Stillmatic more than BP1. I think that's cause I didn't appreciate BP1 til BP2 came
out, and realizing how awful the first disc to the was, making me go back and listen to BP1 later on.

Breathe Easy was sick, All I Need was underwhelming. Momma Loves Me beat was ill, song itself is alright.
Renegade is boring, I actually prefer Jay's verse over Eminem's. Nas was reaching with Eminem killing him.
Still a weak ending for both albums compared to how it started but then again, that makes them both more similar & maybe adds to the beef's legacy in a way.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

[/font]

[/font]

roll.gif

[/font]

What's so funny? The song itself is straight but it just didn't belong at that spot. Should have ended the album with breathe easy. Grand opening, grand closing.

Ether is a special moment in hip hop.

If you cant respect that your whole perspective is whack.

p.s.

Jay and NaS should annihilateYMCMB. ( i know it wont happen but oh the possibilities
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
)

[/font]

[/font]

roll.gif

[/font]

What's so funny? The song itself is straight but it just didn't belong at that spot. Should have ended the album with breathe easy. Grand opening, grand closing.
i shouldnt have laughed. my bad. so because of its placement on the cd, its "kinda weak?"
interesting reason. Ive been hearing more about sequencing of albums tho...

[/font]

[/font]

roll.gif

[/font]

i shouldnt have laughed. my bad. so because of its placement on the cd, its "kinda weak?"
interesting reason. Ive been hearing more about sequencing of albums tho...

You never answered my question concerning Bp2 song

Ether the name and the beat is what had @*#%+@ hypnotized.

Lets be serious dudes still dont know what an ether is Nas won off of that alone. Black folks like new words

Originally Posted by cartune

Lets be serious dudes still dont know what an ether is Nas won off of that alone. Black folks like new words
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I remember me and my boys were playing ball in my backyard with the radio on listening to Hot97 that night and mostly everybody that called up was saying that Nas had won with Ether. I was rooting for Jay, but when I heard Ether I already knew what the outcome of that poll was gonna be.

Originally Posted by cartune

Wow
eek.gif
30t6p3b.gif

%+*@%% don't know what ether is

laugh.gif
Son called it a new word.

Back
Top Bottom