Evan Turner = overrated?

Originally Posted by cleansneaksonly21

I THINK what dude is trying to say is Turner doesnt have the "build" to compete and play against NBA-level SFs.... 
with that being said.... Turner is kinda slight, and doesnt have the height that Durant does to get his shot off against NBA 3s and is slightly above average athletically.

Butttt by no means do I agree with the assessment that he is OVERRATED.

that's EXACTLY what i was trying to say. maybe he'll be the first evan turner and prove me wrong, but those other elite small forwards are all long and athletic along with having versatily to play many diff positions. one player his offensive game does remind me of is ron artest when he was  a little younger, i haven't watched enough of him to know if he's that type of defender though. and i know he's  a solid NBA ready player but i'm talking about worthy of a top 3 pick. you people complaining about that really would have taken him over blake griffin, tyreke evans, steph curry, brandon jennings, rubio? or rose, beasley, mayo, westbrook, gordon, brook lopez?

^^^ then i think you're thinking of it the wrong way... he wont have to compete against NBA 3s because he will probably play 2 a majority of the time, depending on the team that picks him of course.

Dude really could be great if he works on his jumper before the draft, look what Russell has done for himself with developing a jumper

Originally Posted by Buc Em

legit 3 spot in the league? take a look at all the starting 3's in the league he'll be going up against and please tell me which ones you think he's better than. i wish the dude in the avy above me was at a bigger school cuz he sure as hell has more talent than turner.

lebron
melo
durant
granger
beasley
t-mac on one leg
pierce
iguodala
gerald wallace
thad young
rudy gay
odom
tayshaun
shard lewis
redd
caron butler
marion
s-jack
jefferson
ariza
kirilenko
turkoglu
anthony randolph
maggette
batum
webster

the last few might be a stretch but you see where i'm getting at....
Just read this list.  Anthony Randolph?  Batum?  Webster?  Jefferson? Turkgolu?   

You're bugging.  I'm quoting this so you can't go back and edit in 2011. 

Originally Posted by Sundizzle

bijald0331 wrote:

f3xu2q.jpg
WHO IS THAT CHICK!????!!!!!! Name please

Cheryl Cole. She's so freakin hot I made a thread about her: http://niketalk.com/topic/238374?page=1
Yea, I'd simp...

I do believe he's meant to be the third best player on a good team, but what's wrong with that?

McHale, Ray Allen, Rodman, Parker/Ginobli, Lamar Odom, Horace Grant, Havlicek... Not a bad thing to be, IMO.

Originally Posted by amel223

legit 3 spot in the league? take a look at all the starting 3's in the league he'll be going up against and please tell me which ones you think he's better than. i wish the dude in the avy above me was at a bigger school cuz he sure as hell has more talent than turner.

lebron
melo
durant
granger
beasley
t-mac on one leg
pierce
iguodala
gerald wallace
thad young
rudy gay
odom
tayshaun
shard lewis
redd
caron butler
marion
s-jack
jefferson
ariza
kirilenko
turkoglu
anthony randolph
maggette
batum
webster

the last few might be a stretch but you see where i'm getting at....
Just read this list.  Anthony Randolph?  Batum?  Webster?  Jefferson? Turkgolu?   

You're bugging.  I'm quoting this so you can't go back and edit in 2011. 
i just listed all the good NBA 3's i could think of, didn't say any of them were better i just asked for people's opinion on who they thought he was better than off that list. and you're actin like those dudes are bums just cuz turk and jefferson haven't had great seasons. randolph hasn't had the year a lot of people thought he was gonna have but don't even try to say webster and batum ain't %@@#, batum would help any team you put him on right now and webster could be dropping buckets for a team that actually needs him

Originally Posted by secretzofwar

I do believe he's meant to be the third best player on a good team, but what's wrong with that?

McHale, Ray Allen, Rodman, Parker/Ginobli, Lamar Odom, Horace Grant, Havlicek... Not a bad thing to be, IMO.

umm your throwing him on a team like the nets, warriors, t-wolves, pacers, sixers, pistons or clippers.........not a contending team where he's going to be able to be that 3rd best player with two hall of famers to play with.

I've been to five OSU games, and Turner is definitely playing better and better each game. If he really works on his outside game this summer he's going to be fine in the NBA.

I know no one thinks he will, but don't rule him out to return for his senior year. Lots of rumors around campus that he wants to stay if we don't win the tourney this year. With next year's freshman class and the same starting lineup?
sick.gif
Look out...

Durant was never really weak.  He just had a poor bench.  His physical makeup is not made for benching with those long arms and small chest of his.  He has more work to bring the bar down to touch his chest than the rest of us lol. 

So that's the reason why he was the only dude at the combine who couldn't put up 185.  Piss poor excuse.  He was weak.  He's gotten much stronger since he got to the NBA...but his arm length has nothing to do with why he couldn't even do one rep. 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Durant was never really weak.  He just had a poor bench.  His physical makeup is not made for benching with those long arms and small chest of his.  He has more work to bring the bar down to touch his chest than the rest of us lol. 

So that's the reason why he was the only dude at the combine who couldn't put up 185.  Piss poor excuse.  He was weak.  He's gotten much stronger since he got to the NBA...but his arm length has nothing to do with why he couldn't even do one rep. 
He was weak, but a lot of that has to do with his build.  He is built like Stretch Armstrong so his arm length has a lot to do with him being weak.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

When you have a longer than normal wingspan combined with a small chest, it's going to make any exercise that involves the extension of the arms harder. 

A lot of what you can do in lifting has to do with build. 

I can bench the same as my friend but I still say he's stronger than me.  Why?  Because he can lift more in every other exercise.  My bench stats are going to be inflated because my body build is more conducive to benching. 

What were Durant's other stats?  What did they test beside the bench? 

You don't know college basketball then because I've watched both in person numerous times this year and Turner will be the better pro. Lance has a terrible attitude when things don't go his way...he brings his team down a lot with his repore on the court.
Only knock I have on Turner is he sometimes dribbles too much and he needs work on his 3 point shot.

i came on just to see if someone bumped this

congrats he made a good shot. there wasn't a play before that making me think he's supposed to be the national player of the year though.

looks like a less athletic iguodala

Evan Turner is one of the better ones we have watched develop during his three seasons at Ohio State, but I feel his draft stock represents a lack of other quality options in the 2010 class.
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

The fact that few players beyond Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Carmelo and Roy can consistently create their offense off the dribble in isolation is more of a statement about the quality of NBA defenses than it is an indictment on the dearth of scorers. Defenses very quickly adapt and create a detailed scouting report on individual players and though he will still be a tough cover in isolation, I don’t think it will be long before Turner is neutralized if he is a team’s primary scorer.

Unlike that collection of All-Star scorers, Turner doesn’t get as many buckets in the paint and at the rim, which is at least in part due to his relatively modest athleticism. He is very capable of making high degree of difficulty shots, whether it is a teardrop or using his body to draw contact and guard the ball in the air. I simply don’t see the type of lift or fearlessness to really climb the ladder on defenders his size or bigger. Even in college man-to-man defenses, Turner lacks the capacity to impose his will on opponents.

Because of this and where he’s likely to be drafted, I don’t see any real home run potential for the team that selects Evan Turner.

That is not to say that I’m not an admirer of his game and don’t expect him to be a productive NBA player, I just would have felt far more comfortable drafting him in 2009 in the late teens, early twenties rather than high in the lottery in 2010. I don’t feel he is good enough to warrant having the ball in his hands as he does at Ohio State and he can quickly disappear unless he becomes a vastly improved spot-up shooter.

Contributing to my modest expectations for Turner (again relative to draft projection) is his staggering decrease in 3-point percentage. I think it is largely a reflection of a lack of attempts and defenders constantly shadowing him, but he also has flawed fundamentals.

Turner will get too much of his guide hand flicking into his shot, which has undoubtedly contributed to the frequency of his misses that are significantly off the mark. This left hand opens up and faces the basket instead of staying at a 90-degree angle. His follow-through and release on his shooting hand, however, are very solid.

His assist/turnover ratio is worse than I would like it, but more of his turnovers are as a scorer off the dribble rather than errant passes. Turner is rather simplistic in his passes and will make an occasional nice dish for a lay-up or dunk, but he’ll also mistakenly not feel the rotation of the defense stepping into his intended passing lane. There is nothing too bad about his passes, but they aren’t particularly crisp or well placed and he is in no way whatsoever creating easy buckets for teammates the way John Wall does.

Turner rebounds the ball at an excellent clip for a player his size and a lot of that should translate to the next level, though it will of course dip and a lot of his success is situational specifically to Ohio State and the Big Ten.

Read more:http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_p...port_evan_turner_of_ohio_state/#ixzz0hzs6wIDl
[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]sounds a little/ALOT like what i was saying doesn't it?[/font]

Every player has their criticisms. Evan Turner is CERTAINLY not a can't miss prospect...but you were just a little OD initially saying things that just were flat out untrue...like Lance being better right now. That's just false.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Every player has their criticisms. Evan Turner is CERTAINLY not a can't miss prospect...but you were just a little OD initially saying things that just were flat out untrue...like Lance being better right now. That's just false.

see i didn't say that. i said he has more TALENT, not that he's a better player right now. lance just has a higher NBA ceiling imo

Back
Top Bottom