EXISTENTIALISM and NIHILISM

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Go to bed.
Haha, that's what I think. But if you really think your life is ALL about the mundane and same routine then you're missing out on somebeautiful things in this world/life. Open your eyes my man.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Go to bed.
Exactly, everyday is a cycle of the same ol' nonsense. You get up and its yadda yadda yadda for 16 or so hours and you go to bed.

laugh.gif
Touche.

Anyone else feel that life serves absolutely no purpose? Life is an endless cycle of the mundane and absurd (word to Albert Camus)

That's what happens when you remove God from your life. Just saying. I'm not one to attack others' faith, but the ONLY purpose in life outside ofthe ones we make up (like going to prom, etc) is to have faith in a higher power. There's really nothing else out there that isn't as temporary as lifeitself. And whether God is "real" or not doesn't even matter, word to the Placebo Effect. You'd be surprised how much more purposeful lifegets when you believe just for the sake of doing so, without having to wait for evidence or proof or anything. Youjust put yourself out there like *@%@ it, I believe...

Go to bed.
Basically, I swear I told my 12th grade English teacher the same thing when we discussed this in class back in the day.

AntonLaVey wrote:
Exactly, everyday is a cycle of the same ol' nonsense. You get up and its yadda yadda yadda for 16 or so hours and you go to bed.

laugh.gif
nice reply, but I still can't stand existentialism.

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

Anyone else feel that life serves absolutely no purpose? Life is an endless cycle of the mundane and absurd (word to Albert Camus)

That's what happens when you remove God from your life. Just saying. I'm not one to attack others' faith, but the ONLY purpose in life outside of the ones we make up (like going to prom, etc) is to have faith in a higher power. There's really nothing else out there that isn't as temporary as life itself. And whether God is "real" or not doesn't even matter, word to the Placebo Effect. You'd be surprised how much more purposeful life gets when you believe just for the sake of doing so, without having to wait for evidence or proof or anything. You just put yourself out there like *@%@ it, I believe...
Hmm very interesting response. Belief without sincerity is non-belief. I'm not going to lie to myself. About the "placebo effect",you're correct that faith is a powerful thing especially in medicine. Faith in your doctor or religious healer goes a long way in determining the outcomeof your illness. However, there are billions of people who could use God's help in getting out of bad situations and he is nowhere to be found.

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

The Stranger by Camus is pretty sick
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I thought existialism: One gives one's life meaning through action; life has no value unless one gives it value.

So what you put in is what you get out, more or less. Or am I wrong?
nerd.gif
You're correct

Nihilism (from the Latin nihil, nothing) is the philosophical position that values do not exist but rather are falsely invented.[sup][1][/sup] Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form ofexistential nihilism which argues that life[sup][2][/sup] is without meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value. Moral nihilists assert that morality does not exist, and subsequently there are no moral values with which to uphold a rule or to logically prefer one action over another.

Albert Camus' The Stranger probably had more influence on me than any other book I've read. He is that dude.
smokin.gif

You seemed to take great pleasure of taking pictures of Ben Carson's !#!%...so, life can't be that mundane and absurd in your world, can it?

That's what happens when you remove God from your life. Just saying. I'm not one to attack others' faith, but the ONLY purpose in life outside of the ones we make up (like going to prom, etc) is to have faith in a higher power. There's really nothing else out there that isn't as temporary as life itself. And whether God is "real" or not doesn't even matter, word to the Placebo Effect. You'd be surprised how much more purposeful life gets when you believe just for the sake of doing so, without having to wait for evidence or proof or anything. You just put yourself out there like *@%@ it, I believe...
Hmm very interesting response. Belief without sincerity is non-belief. I'm not going to lie to myself. About the "placebo effect", you're correct that faith is a powerful thing especially in medicine. Faith in your doctor or religious healer goes a long way in determining the outcome of your illness. However, there are billions of people who could use God's help in getting out of bad situations and he is nowhere to be found.

Just wondering, when you want to explain all the ill's in the world it is God's fault, or it proves God isn't around because he isn't helpingpeople. What about man and the evil we cause to each other?

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

You seemed to take great pleasure of taking pictures of Ben Carson's !#!%...so, life can't be that mundane and absurd in your world, can it?
Another very intelligent and meaningful response. I plan on subscribing to you so I could get more of the same insight in the near future.

Originally Posted by rtz13

If there is no God, the only logical conclusion is...Who cares?
I was going to mention this earlier but I didn't want another absurd religious NT debate..........but humans need religion because it gives life a purpose.
I think because of the subject of existentialism and nihilism you are going to run into religion because of the very nature of those philosophiesdeals with our existence.

I think humans need God, not religion. In my opinion, religion is created out of the necessity. The Bible said God put's it in man's heart that thereis a God. Why do you think there are so many different religions? In my opinion, it's because humans have something in their heart that witnesses there issomething greater than us. When we look at our world: the mountains, the ocean, our own consciousness. I believe it all points to God. When you look at thestars; I believe there is something in man that witnesses, "There is God." Regardless of religious upbringing.

That's just me though.

Hmm very interesting response. Belief without sincerity is non-belief. I'm not going to lie to myself. About the "placebo effect", you're correct that faith is a powerful thing especially in medicine. Faith in your doctor or religious healer goes a long way in determining the outcome of your illness. However, there are billions of people who could use God's help in getting out of bad situations and he is nowhere to be found.
laugh.gif
you just don't get what I'm saying... there is good and bad all over this planet. Just because God is our creator, that doesn'tmean he's suppossed to be the Justice League as well. But whatever.. also, the thing about evidence is that it's almost always speculative orsubjective to one's own interpretation. For every =body " who could use God's helpin getting out of bad situations", there's another person or several other people already thanking God for helping them.But if you only choose to see what isn't being done, you'll never see his miracles. For example, Icould *+%+% and complain about my mom dying from ALS in 06. Was that God's fault? Indirectly, I guess so. But itwas also God's fault that she survived brain aneurysm surgery 14 years ago. You can't be picky and choosey with what you attribute to God'sinfluence if you believe in God. To me, complaining about God not helping everybody ALL the time is like expectingparents to never tell a kid "no".

That's why you gotta do something great and do something to make your mark on the world. My way of doings is helping people out (giving thehomeless money, volunteering for events occasionally, helping friends out with problems, etc.) And plus I always just sit and enjoy how life works, whetherit's observing people, animals, trees, buildings, our civilization period. We live in a great place, you just gotta appreciate it. I was just looking atSan Francisco skyline the other day amazed by how men could build so big and high, it made me feel great for some reason, but then again, I'm an optimist.

I understand what you're saying Dear Winter. I understand the need for us as humans to have faith in a higher being, unfortunately I can't get myselfto do it. Not every atheist feels this way bdw, I'm not speaking for every non-believer.

Back
Top Bottom