F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

This YouTube channel is uploading previous yearly reviews. The 2005 one is 3 hours long.

Going to help with this off season before testing and Drive to survive season 2 comes.

As somoene who only started watching in 2007 and without access to F1TV this is great.

Currently watching the race review for 2001. Started with 1997.

F1 was mad brutal in the nineties and early 2000's Jeeeeeez! :lol:

1580848071873.png

Driveshaft, hydraulics, engine, clutch, gearbox, oil leak, etc. No one was safe :lol:
Here I was thinking I had it bad after Malaysia 2016 but that must have paled in comparison to some of Hakkinen's failures.

Being a Mclaren fan would've been hard back then. Not sure I could've done it. My stress levels will have been real high.
I wonder if it was a Adrian Newey trait but its not like the other cars didn't break down either.
The west livery is my 2nd favourite Mclaren livery. They had the best looking cars in all the reviews I've watched.

Also a lot more crashes and spins on the grid but I wonder if that was due to less downforce perhaps. A lot of stalling too.

Spare cars are such a damn luxury. I can't believe those were a thing :lol:
Barichello had to have had the worst no.2 driver role. Man, Ferrari did him dirty :lol:

Currently watching the race review for 2001. Started with 1997.

F1 was mad brutal in the nineties and early 2000's Jeeeeeez! :lol:

1580848071873.png

Driveshaft, hydraulics, engine, clutch, gearbox, oil leak, etc. No one was safe :lol:
Here I was thinking I had it bad after Malaysia 2016 but that must have paled in comparison to some of Hakkinen's failures.

Being a Mclaren fan would've been hard back then. Not sure I could've done it. My stress levels will have been real high.
I wonder if it was a Adrian Newey trait but its not like the other cars didn't break down either.
The west livery is my 2nd favourite Mclaren livery. They had the best looking cars in all the reviews I've watched.

Also a lot more crashes and spins on the grid but I wonder if that was due to less downforce perhaps. A lot of stalling too.

Spare cars are such a damn luxury. I can't believe those were a thing :lol:
Barichello had to have had the worst no.2 driver role. Man, Ferrari did him dirty :lol:
You know, it didn't seem that noticeable back then. I guess it was cuz it always happened, so it felt inevitable at some point. DNFs were a common thing. Now the reliability has been so good that when a reliability-related DNF happens, it's pretty noticeable and surprising. IIRC, Kimi had McLaren seasons where he had more retirements than race-finishes. Schumi probably had the best reliability at the time... Schumi... not Ferrari or Rubens... cuz Rubens had his share of DNFs as well.

And yes, T-cars! Nice to have, but soooooo expensive for teams to run and ship them around. A sensible decision to drop them.

Back
Top Bottom