Filipino Culture Thread

I'm money team, guess I got to fraud it out.

I don't know what they do for work, it's going to be very interesting.

And you better be prepared to eat everything and anything they throw at you.

“Come eat now” will be their first demand. Don’t say “no”.

And you better bring something to the table. They want a guy who can provide for their daughter.

If she’s got brothers, you better be able to ball.

What are some things to do to impress the parents dating their daughter?

Black if matters.

- Say "po" and "opo" A LOT :lol:
- Eat Dinuguan and Balut (just kidding!)
- Learn how to cook Adobo (probably the MOST SIMPLE and EASIEST dish you can make)

Hmm, I know this doesn't apply to most Pinoy families as far as perspectives/interracial dating, but IMO it's basically like other families; layout your intentions, stay committed, and have a long-term plan which includes finances and having children. The fact that your girl is dating you already shows progressive views and the type of openness she and her family have towards other race.

Although there are those that are still on the fence about these things, it's something you can't control. But it's not like "Get Out" type of treatment at all. I know a Filipino dude here in MA who is a full-on Trump supporter and has some type of prejudice towards minorities, it's such a shame.

OH! Always bring food or any type of "pasalubong" (similar to gifts) whenever you'd get to visit them. I'm sure your girl would love that idea.

If you're athletically gifted in basketball or in any other sports then you're pretty much good to go. You gotta be updated with basketball/sports news just in case and be prepared for a Cavs/Warriors discussion :lol:

Pinoy families are cool in general. We can relate to any type of race and have affinity with other minorities since WE were once ran by colonizers (Spaniards, Americans, Japanese, Chinese, etc.) and understand the value of being DIFFERENT.

Best of luck and have fun! :smile:

Black if matters.

Being black does matter. Especially for the 1st-Gen Filipino parents who came from out there. It's just the way it is.

But it's pretty much what Sharpshoeter13 Sharpshoeter13 said above. You can't win the girl without winning her family first. And how much effort you're willing to put in is up to you with what kind of future you'd like with her. So in a nutshell, the ball's in your court:lol:

Being black does matter. Especially for the 1st-Gen Filipino parents who came from out there. It's just the way it is.

But it's pretty much what Sharpshoeter13 Sharpshoeter13 said above. You can't win the girl without winning her family first. And how much effort you're willing to put in is up to you with what kind of future you'd like with her. So in a nutshell, the ball's in your court:lol:

I'm about to dunk on her pops then.

110% Pinoy here in NYC..

IMO-here are spots that are worth it to visit, if ur in the area:
Ihawan @ Jackson Heights, Queens
Krystals @ Jackson Heights, Queens
House of Inasal @ Jackson Heights, Queens
Tito Rads @ Woodside, Queens
Kabayan @ Woodside, Queens
Jeepney @ NYC, NY
FOB BK @ Brooklyn, NY
Max's @ Jersey City, NJ

I'm sure there are more-but I would've rather eat there first, before recommending it..

All these tips are subjective also to the type of girl you are dating.

Also,

If she’s from So Cal, she probably wants something to do with the media and entertainment industry.

If she’s from Nor Cal, she probably wants something to do with the tech industry.

If neither of those apply, then default to Nurse.

What sucks for 1st gen Pinoy immigrants here in MA, specifically my parents' friends, is that they are on some type of competition up here... like they assimilated to the lifestyle of making all kinds of wealth being nurses,
big houses, cars, and somehow have this superiority vibe towards other people, even white people, who make less than them. I don't really care how much they make but their comments about life these days are down right ignornant and insulting to those who aren't at the same "level" as they are.

Since we live in a small community here, I get to observe their ways and the Filipinos here have developed their own cliques based on how much salary earned per hour and how many people can fit at their houses LOL.

It's both sad and funny, but their motivation roots from struggles back home. #PinoyLife

Black if matters.
Well, first of all. Show them respect whenever you speak to them and are around them. Same to any other aunt's and uncle's in the family. This plays a big role. When you're dating someone in the family, you're basically dating the entire family. Meaning, you have butter up the elders. (trust me, I know)

Also, make sure to communicate with your girl that her parents and family members aren't racist or closed minded to their daughter dating someone who isn't Filipino. I wish I could say that your ethnicity doesn't matter, but it does. A lot of my relatives are against people with dark skin. It's ridiculous how they blow off their comments as a joke.

If you're planning on marriage down the road, show that you can provide for her and care for her. Also, if her family is really traditional, there may be some things you'll needed to leading up to the marriage.

Again, my family aren't traditional at all. When I proposed to my wife and we made the announcement to her parents. They didn't show any happiness or enjoyment at the fact their only daughter just got engaged. They went straight to wanting to know our plans, how we plan to pay for the wedding, and who to invite to the wedding. :stoneface: :smh:

tapsilog all day, everyday..
tapsilog.jpg

You healthy. One of my friends stopped eatingvwhite rice years ago, he doesn’t wanna get fat again.

Back
Top Bottom