Firefighter fired over a gifted watermelon

Man I'm just at a loss of words. The heinous acts of a particular group of people centuries/decades ago has an entire society tip-toeing over the most basic acts.

It means I’m not crying about the stupid Mexican looking cartoons companies/ clubs draw to bring people in for taco Tuesday that **** is racist I don’t got no damn moustache or sombrero on b...can we have Watermelon Wednesday’s? hell na because there will be a 50 page thread about it lol

I worked at the United States post office before guess what my coworkers were 97% black..I would go to lunch just in conversation people would ask what I ate or see me at lunch and I’m munching on Popeyes...am I racist Hell no I like fried chicken with honey and hot sauce never once was I looked at crazy...they would tell me That they love tacos...but did I call them stupid for offending me lmao do you see we’re talking about food, sharing food I would smack myself before I called someone racist or stupid over food

I don’t get it, I need there to be something more racist for this to be considered racist...if he brought some regular chicken cutlets y’all would be complaining about no seasoning lmao

He brought food to his new crew and they turned on him...he won’t get his job back most likely because he was probation period and now it will be hard to find a other job but he probably deserved it right cause of the delicious devil the watermelon

If he did something racist then I got no problem with him getting fired but all because of a watermelon *****
Dude you are speaking on unrelated contexts of just marketing to a certain demographic or having a basic day of lunch with black coworkers.

This dumbass literally on his first couple days of work with the context of introducing himself to black coworkers brought something that had a history of being stereotyped upon black people. Does he deserve to get fired for that? No, but that’s just a stupid move he did.

when ur on probation
u technically can be fired for any reason
so maybe he won't win

Yup this that’s why he will struggle to get a job now

That’s why I wanna know if it’s just because a watermelon I know they wait for years just to get a chance to become a firefighter

Even if this was an innocent gesture, it's still a stupid choice.

Plus, if you're looking to make a good impression on your new colleagues a watermelon isn't the way to do it. Order some pizzas, treat everyone to ice cream/dinner, invite everyone to go out for a round of drinks on you, etc. You're not impressing anyone with no god damn watermelon.

Dude deserves to lose his job solely off of the strength of him being a ****ty new guy.

Even if this was an innocent gesture, it's still a stupid choice.

Plus, if you're looking to make a good impression on your new colleagues a watermelon isn't the way to do it. Order some pizzas, treat everyone to ice cream/dinner, invite everyone to go out for a round of drinks on you, etc. You're not impressing anyone with no god damn watermelon.

Dude deserves to lose his job solely off of the strength of him being a ****ty new guy.
Ditto. That’s all I really been saying.

it was a fire station, not a poetry club.

:lol: i would've told my mom to chef up some Flan.
I always have brought a cake or pie on the first day of the job. Then again, I have had only had to switch jobs four times in my whole life lol

It was his FIRST DAY he got no money to take everyone out for a drink...
You don't know that, but even if that was the case you could put the bill on your credit card and pay it off or ask a friend to spot you the money and pay them at a later date.

That's a much better plan than giving a bunch of black dudes a watermelon. Hell...giving them nothing and just being a cool/normal dude would be a far better option. All I'm saying is that if you're gonna make a gesture as a new guy you either come correct or don't come at all.

I think it's racist to not be able to bring watermelon around black people.

giphy.gif

You don't know that, but even if that was the case you could put the bill on your credit card and pay it off or ask a friend to spot you the money and pay them at a later date.

That's a much better plan than giving a bunch of black dudes a watermelon. Hell...giving them nothing and just being a cool/normal dude would be a far better option. All I'm saying is that if you're gonna make a gesture as a new guy you either come correct or don't come at all.

For all he knew, they could have been a bunch of white guys

Who knows if he knew they were primarily black

If I started a job somewhere and they gave me a case of balut id definetely be offended.

I'd take it.

But id definetely be offended.

I repped you at first.

But then ahat ahat made me actually look it up.....

:sick:

A balut (spelled standardized as balot) is a developing bird embryo (usually a duck) that is boiled and eaten from the shell.

maxresdefault.jpg
]

SAVAGES!

Last edited:
From the article:

Second Battallion Chief Shawn McCarty calls it a tradition for firefighters.

"It's not mandatory, it's voluntary," he said. "You come in bearing gifts. The usual gift is doughnuts but you are allowed to bring whatever you want to bring in."
"When you get your first detail at a firehouse you pretty much know what you are getting yourself into," said Patrick Trout. "So you would have to say it was probably a bad call."

Back
Top Bottom